Islamic Forum
Yasnov

Atheist's Psychology

After some recent discussions with atheists, I think it's not that difficult for atheists to figure out that there is some kind of unique higher power in our universe/multiverse, where things work and behave according to the rules/system set by such higher power. That's how they see what the believers refer to as God.

Why is atheist so defensive against God in many discussions? From most cases, I learned that this has something to do with the trauma of being deceived by religions, which described "God" so clearly in His physical entities. This is a mistake because, anytime they hear the word God, Atheists (those who are of Christian upbringing) automatically associate Him to a man named Jesus, or a man sitting in the clouds, or some strange statues somewhere.

And btw, most atheists are not scientific, they are more into philosophy.

Any comments?

Wassalam,

Y

PropellerAds

Some atheists are resentful of their religious upbringing, but most with whom I've discussed the matter hold no such grudge. I know I certainly have no regrets about my Christian background.

Also, there's no dichotomy with respect to science and philosophy.

What it comes down to is that, on a practical level, the evidence against organized religion is quite weighty. On an abstract level, there's no justification for belief in some hypothetical deity. Either way you cut it, secular atheism is the only position I find to be rationally defensible. That's why I hold the position, not because of some emotional bias.

Edited by hatsoff

After some recent discussions with atheists, I think it's not that difficult for atheists to figure out that there is some kind of unique higher power in our universe/multiverse, where things work and behave according to the rules/system set by such higher power. That's how they see what the believers refer to as God.

Why is atheist so defensive against God in many discussions? From most cases, I learned that this has something to do with the trauma of being deceived by religions, which described "God" so clearly in His physical entities. This is a mistake because, anytime they hear the word God, Atheists (those who are of Christian upbringing) automatically associate Him to a man named Jesus, or a man sitting in the clouds, or some strange statues somewhere.

Any comments?

Wassalam,

Y

The only thing that can't be scientifically explained is why existence exists.

I don't need a religion to explain anything else.

When you look at the big picture, like the history of humanity, it's really hard to be religious.

Think about this: Millions of people have had thousands of different religions over thousands of year.

Each religion claims to be right, each religion has thier own stories, etc.

In 2,000 years there won't be christianity and even christianity since Jesuses time is a TOTALLY different thing. A different religion, I'd say.

Will Islam exist in 10,000 years? Will it be worshipped in the same way? Things change, customs change.

What happened to the woman judges?

I don't know many atheists that get defensive, although I have met some that were. I most definitely don't have anything againt the religion of my upbringing so my beliefs were not in any way a negative reaction to it.

I don't understand when you say that atheists are not scientific. If you mean that they look to science for answers then I would have to say that for the most part atheists are more scientific in general. The followers of religions tend to fall back on their religion for answers to many questions. That is, after all, one of the main functions of religions. To answer questions that people do not know the answer to.

Also, most atheists I speak to, when they think of God they think of some all powerful being that is everywhere, both omnipotent and omniscient. I don't know any atheists that think God hangs out in clouds.

salamz

Why is atheist so defensive against God in many discussions? From most cases, I learned that this has something to do with the trauma of being deceived by religions, which described "God" so clearly in His physical entities. This is a mistake because...

Not necessarily true...In my experience Athesits deny existence of God for lack of reasonable proof.

If you dig up the classical arguments for God's existence, you will see that there are some unanswered questions which first need to be resolved..have nothing to do with personal trauma. If u wan to get into the psycholy further then read "dialogues concerning natural religion" by David Hume, it's a short one... and a good appetizer :sl::sl:

peace

oh brothers please lets see postive love , and if you think negative you will never want to revert but you will still fight with such nonsense , what is the fight all about? i dont want to give you the analysis but i can say this , we argue on getting each other to heaven not to be lost then be upon regretition in the day of judgement

read my posts brothers

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=188808&st=200"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=188808&st=200[/url]

Read posts # 203 , 205 & 206 please , understand my idea , i am right now arguing for satan im trying to Pulse it out of our system yes even mysystem we must help each other to put our light back to each other and then die with the truth

GOD created us with this brain use it wisely brothers

Edited by alsheeba

...what is the fight all about?...

It's most often a value conflict. Atheists value truth more than the emotional / psychological satiation of fantasy. Theists value the emotional / psychological satiation of fantasy more than truth.

brother i dont want to argue with you just read and go to my link and read more please!

beleive me if i say anything now you will reply lol

Edited by alsheeba

Also, most atheists I speak to, when they think of God they think of some all powerful being that is everywhere, both omnipotent and omniscient. I don't know any atheists that think God hangs out in clouds.

I know you will say that. But it's all done subconsciously. For a quick simple example, just take a look at llogical, read the words under his user name: "Lookin At U up there.... Big Guy". He said he was once a Muslim, but it seems he's thinking that God is just a big guy up there. I don't know who taught him about God and stuff, how could they mislead him, but all in all, I sympathizes with him. When you associate a God to a man up there, then it is understandable why you just don't want to bow down to another (big) guy.

When you look at the big picture, like the history of humanity, it's really hard to be religious. Think about this: Millions of people have had thousands of different religions over thousands of year.

See, what I said? This must have something to do with atheists' psychology.

If u wan to get into the psycholy further then read "dialogues concerning natural religion" by David Hume, it's a short one... and a good appetizer :sl::sl:

Isn't this similar with the case where a Muslim asking an atheist to read Qur'an or Hadith. No?

What it comes down to is that, on a practical level, the evidence against organized religion is quite weighty

Such as?

Wassalam,

Y

Such as?

Such as the mutual exclusivity of most major religions.

THINK ABOUT THIS:

Very often people have "after death" experiences where they see god or Allah or the prophet, and that after death experience is used as evidence that the religion is right.

Why are the after death experiences almost ALWAYS focused on the religion the person already has?

My grandmother had a heart attack, she said that she saw a hallway and at the end of the hallway was jesus christ, he put up a hand to stop her, and when he stopped her, she came back to life....

Such as the mutual exclusivity of most major religions.

How are they evidence?

Very often people have "after death" experiences where they see god or Allah or the prophet, and that after death experience is used as evidence that the religion is right.

I think no one so far has ever made a claim that they see god or Allah in their after death experiences, unless you are referring to Jesus.

Why are the after death experiences almost ALWAYS focused on the religion the person already has?

Wrong ... some non-Muslims have experiences where they saw Muslim figures such as the Prophet in their after death experiences.

My grandmother had a heart attack, she said that she saw a hallway and at the end of the hallway was jesus christ, he put up a hand to stop her, and when he stopped her, she came back to life....

And?

Wassalam,

Y

:sl:

If I told you that air exists,you would believe me right?

But noone has ever seen air have they?

You can feel air and sense air around you.

Likewise us muslims feel and sense existence of Allah through His wonderful signs out there.

Picture this,your walking down a street and see this amazing kekab shop mmmm :no:

Inside it you see the best ever chips,the best burger and everything in there is at the highest quality.

When you go home would you tell your family about this wonderful shop?

Of course you would.

Now Islam is this kekab shop and to us muslims its a way of life.It is the best and Islam is a complete religion.It is perfect.

As muslims its our duty to inform and educate others about Islam.Then its up to them to accept your reject the offer.

Imagine there is a ship,you are on that ship.The ship moves up waves down waves and takes people to their exact location.It has no driver though.It moves by itself and dodgeys big rocks and can sense where people want to be dropped off by.By night this ship rests and by day it travels.It has a mind of its own.

It moves all by itself without anyone controlling it.

Such a silly idea right?

How can a ship do all that without someone guiding it?

How can it dodge rocks and have a mind of its own?

In reality the ship must have a driver right?

The ship is this world and the driver is Allah(God).

So its silly to think the earth turns day and night all by itself,the wind blowing all by itself.

Allah controls all this that is why the universe is so perfectly in place.

As Atheists you guys believe a part of the Shahada.

There is No God But Allah And Prophet Muhammad(saw) Was His Final Messenger.

You guys believe There is No God.

Now come on stick on the end But Allah and see how you feel about it,give it a go? :j:

I'm not here to keep going in circles btw just give my point and vrooom off I go. :D

Na I'll stick around Allah Willing.

Edited by Aaqib Ahmed

Btw, I can't fully blame llogical if he thinks that God is just a big guy sitting on the clouds.

The first time I read biblical verse about god wrestling Jacob and got defeated, I was shocked too. Fortunately, I got over it without any trauma and scars. Unfortunately, some are not just very lucky. They got stuck with the memories and without them noticing it, it became a buried issues deep in their subconscious mind. Since then, the word evidence and proofs are just two magical words to make them feel okay about themselves.

Wassalam,

Y

THINK ABOUT THIS:

I believe you are refering to 'Near Death' experiences. So far as I am aware nobody has yet returned to inform us otherwise!

I don't know what research you have done on near death experiences but from my reading people often seem to speak of a 'white light' or something similar.

Also the mere fact that one's personal religion may appear to be manifested in a near death experience would not indicate to my mind that that is a pointer to the fact that God does not exist. Quite the opposite in fact. It could quite easily indicate that God works in many different ways and has many different guises. It would only be natural that He uses the 'form' closest to the person's understanding of Him.

kb

ok , calm down alsheeba , i nearly exploded and expressed my feeling but its ok

may Allah guide you :sl:

ANOTHER THING:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcognitiveliberty(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/neuro/neuronewswk.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcognitiveliberty(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/neuro/neuronewswk.htm[/url]

Basically I believe religion was useful for a long time. I believe that there are parts of the human brain responsible for religious feeling, infact there ARE parts of the brain responsible for religious feeling. They have images of them becoming active when people pray, they can stimulate the parts of the brain with magnates and it makes people "feel god."

Not everyone has those parts. I don't. I'm guessing most atheists don't. I don't feel anything when I pray, inside me there is no sense of a higher power. Other people justify religion by saying they "feel a higher power." But that's just the brain.

You may ask, why! Why is there a religious part of our brains?! Basically becuase religious societies survive much better than non-religous ones. Religons set out rules for people to live by (don't kill your neighbor) and put people in power (see: priests) which makes it more likely for people to keep thier genes going.

Unfortunately, now, we have logic. We have the idea of human rights. We have carbon dating. We have fossils. We have answers. But people still have the religious feelings.

I almost forgot to address the op.

It's not a matter of figuring something out, it's a survivial behavior run amok. A psychological phenomena called anthropomorphism is where humans project human qualities on to non human objects / phenomena. For example, bugs bunny, mother nature, father time, the grim reaper, and 'God' (projection of human qualities onto the universe).

Why is atheist so defensive against God in many discussions? From most cases, I learned that this has something to do with the trauma of being deceived by religions, which described "God" so clearly in His physical entities.

Can you provide some examples of the definsiveness in question? I can probably better answer the question once I understand what you are seeing.

This is a mistake because, anytime they hear the word God, Atheists (those who are of Christian upbringing) automatically associate Him to a man named Jesus, or a man sitting in the clouds, or some strange statues somewhere.

Whenever I hear the word 'God', I think delusion resulting from anthropomorphization of reality into an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent life form.

Can you show me the study demonstrating that the world's population of atheists are more inclined towards philosophy than science?

Edited by Crunchy Cat

Likewise us muslims feel and sense existence of Allah through His wonderful signs out there.

I do not accept this. I do not feel any "sense" of Allah, and I don't believe you do, either. Rather, I believe you interpret certain natural feelings as having divine origin.

How are they evidence?

They demonstrate a pattern of falsity to religious claims.

There is no Evidence for a God.

A Muslim will typically claim that the Qur'an is evidence -- but so long as the Qur'an contradicts scientific fact (Evolution), then I'm afraid it's not perfect, and certainly not going to win me over.

..Atheists (those who are of Christian upbringing)..

I was not raised a Christian.

This seems to be a common misconception among Muslims: Either you were raised a Muslim, or a Christian/Jew. They seem to ignore the thousands of other religions, or even, not being indoctrinated at all!

How naive.

Air can be physically felt, and scientifically measured.

In fact, it can be "seen", if you look at it in the right band (this is how weather satellites work).

Now Islam is this kekab shop and to us muslims its a way of life.It is the best and Islam is a complete religion.It is perfect.

As muslims its our duty to inform and educate others about Islam.Then its up to them to accept your reject the offer.

This sounds like any other religion and is in no way unique to Islam. Christians could easily use the same allegory, and no doubt someone somewhere has.

I know you will say that. But it's all done subconsciously. For a quick simple example, just take a look at llogical, read the words under his user name: "Lookin At U up there.... Big Guy". He said he was once a Muslim, but it seems he's thinking that God is just a big guy up there.I don't know who taught him about God and stuff, how could they mislead him, but all in all, I sympathizes with him. When you associate a God to a man up there, then it is understandable why you just don't want to bow down to another (big) guy.

Big Guy doesn't have to be in a literal sense..heck I am always raising flags against anthromorphism myself :sl:

If that makes no sense then I plead innocense and ignorance and blame the Jews. :D

See, what I said? This must have something to do with atheists' psychology.

Isn't this similar with the case where a Muslim asking an atheist to read Qur'an or Hadith. No?

Such as?

Not so much...you point people to Quran/Hadith so they can perhaps accept Islam...my aim by recommeding the book is so u can get atheist psychology or atleast see things from few different angles....not to convert you to atheism.

Besides I have read quran/hadith and circled some stuff that makes no sense to me waiting for the day when it does or doomsday...which ever comes first. So yea until then I got a bone to Pick with God whether he's made of light or inexplicable matter/energy, I need not pretend otherwise. :sl:

but so long as the Qur'an contradicts scientific fact (Evolution), then I'm afraid it's not perfect, and certainly not going to win me over.

Quran contradicts evolution ? :j: ..where? perhaps u got it confused with creationism in the Book of Genesis? :no:

Atheists psychology is simple. Believeing in eternal universe and meaningless life. Once you die you are done. No soul only some higher form of organization of matter and energy. Once this complex systme dies it transforms into a simple plain matter - the soil. They don't have any proofs to support their assumptions because nobbody returned from the grave to give them proofs for what is there.

Thus they are believers too. But just in the opposite of our belief.

Atheist lacks the sense for God. They can't feel his existance. They can't make the connections between the signs and facts given by God to supports our comprehension of God in addition to the perception of him so that it further transforms our belief into iman.

We do see the light of God and we try to walk towards it. And our life simply means the journey to reach him through our iman and good deeds.

They simply prefer to wander in the darkness without ceratin direction and goal. The only light they get is the light of the lightnings. But that is shortlived and scarry. Incertainty and bold claims shape their way of expression.

Atheist most of the time is a victim of anxiety. Insecurity and unpredictability of the future and the fear of death constantly is working its way beneath their consciousness.

The principle behind their actions is selfishness. Because they believe that is the right way to direct your expecations and actions.

Atheist is a poor soul for which I pray Allah to give mercy and one more chance to find his way to the truth...

Lesson lerned..Atheism is only a belief of the tard faction.

Thank you Ghazi for the insightful lecture on generalizations without merit :sl: