Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
- IQRA -

Marriage & Changing The Name

:D

Im not sure what the situation is with the following..and i was hoping someone could shed some light on it, pl;ease...

Basically...when people get married...then Islamically should the wife change her surname/last name to whatever her husband's first name is or his last name?...lol sorry if its confusing...

but for example

Bob Green =>marries Sarah Yellow

so would she now be called Sarah Bob or Sarah Green?? (i would have thought its Sarah Green) but ive seen this isnt the case, especially in the pakistani culture.

Could someone provide information from the Sunnah?

Jazak Allah khairiun

PropellerAds

i don't think it's requirement in Islam to change the name. No one in my family changed her name. :D

Jazak Allah khairun for your replies...

ops..i thought women should...as it also helps with filling out forms etc..lol

and it also shows the women is married to the man??

hmm

IQRA,

Firstly, when a woman's name is changed in marriage (in general, whatever religion they may be), she takes the husband's last name. So if Bob Green marries Sarah Yellow, Sarah would now become Sarah Green. She would take Bob's last name, not first name.

Now if Billy Blue married Sarah Yellow, then she would still become Sarah Green. :D Sorry, silly joke. :D

Also, can someone please provide the source which says it's haraam for the wife to take the husband's last name? I didn't realize that. :D

As Salaam Alaikum Citizen X,

Also, can someone please provide the source which says it's haraam for the wife to take the husband's last name? I didn't realize that. :D

I would just like to make one thing clear. It's not so much about "changing your name to your husbands", this isn't addressed specifically in Islam... rathar it's about changing your name from your father's name (which is addressed in Islam). Got me?

Question :

A woman before becoming Muslim changed her last name from her family name to her husband's. Now that she is Muslim, she is no longer married to that man. Also, she would like to formally change her name to a Muslim name to affirm her Islamic identity. She would like to also change her last name back to her family name, however, she would like to adopt her mother's maiden name (maternal grand-father's name) instead of her father's name, since there is some conflict between them, and that she said he did not have much to do with her upbringing. Is it permissible for her to take her mother's maiden name?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

This woman’s desire to take an Islamic name and to change her family name from that of her former husband is quite correct, but it is not permissible for her to call herself after anyone except her legitimate father – no matter what the reasons for wishing to do so. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): "Call them (adopted sons) by the names of their fathers…" [al-Ahzaab 33:5].

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever calls himself by other than his father’s name (or attributes himself to someone other than his father), will be cursed by Allaah, the angels and all the people." (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 2599; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 6104).

And Allaah is the Source of help.

Islam Q&A

(www.)"http://63.175.194.25/index.php?search_text_box_dsn4=1942+&lv=browse&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&formtrans=dgn%3D4%7C&ln=eng&ds=qa&sensitivity=2&searchquestions=1&searchtitles=1&searchanswers=1&searchsources=1&pg=result&offset=0&msubmit=1"]source[/url]

salaam

Edited by --**MinorityOpinions**--

I would just like to make one thing clear. It's not so much about "changing your name to your husbands", this isn't addressed specifically in Islam... rathar it's about changing your name from your father's name (which is addressed in Islam). Got me?

ok.. got it :D

and what happens when woman who change thier name to thier husbands get divorced? :D

Edited by Mansoor Ansari

As Salaam Alaikum,

Jazak Allah khairun for your replies...

ops..i thought women should...as it also helps with filling out forms etc..lol

Yes it does cause a lot of confusion sometimes when people live in countries where this is common and expected. It can make filing out doctors forms more difficult... especially when you are trying to visit your spouse in the hospital (some hospitals are really picky and only allow imidiate family, so they will question you even more if you don't share his name)

and it also shows the women is married to the man??

Yes of course. But you know one thing though? The name doesn't really make you apart of the family. Family is there through thick and thin. Nothing really changes family.

But if you divorce what will happen? You will have to go back to your maiden name... i.e. get "kicked" out of his family. Which is essentially what is, just not admitted, "Oh you're not married to John Doe no more? Oh, well when will you change your name?".. and what happens when he gets another wife and you keep his name? You will be egged to change that name (and some women don't even change it until then)! Isn't that humiliating?

But if you'd like to connect on a feminist level (lol, i'm not a feminist, but i love the feminist arguments to this):

"Why must a man establish your identity in society?"

"Why do you have to take his name? Why can't he take his?"

"Don't you think that it shows ownership of you when you take his name?'

"Isn't this the marriage of TWO families? Why must you enter his, and him not yours?"

"Why?!"

lol lol lol.

You know in Canada, well some parts, it's common for women not change their names? (beucase of hte feminist movement)

(and you know? I've read some articles where some scholars actually use some of the reasons above to emphasise more why women shouldn't change the name. One scholar on Islam Q&A actually calls it a "humilation" to the woman, for her to do such a thing)

But really in Islam.

The issue of name changing doesn't seem to really about all of those sticky issues. Islam isn't about all that drama! It's really just about keeping the bloodline clear on whose child is who. B)

salaam

Edited by --**MinorityOpinions**--

"Why must a man establish your identity in society?"

They take their father's name who also happens to be a man :D

In Chinese culture, we keep our family names after the females marry too. Your whole name is your identity!

Assalamu alaikum, Islamically the woman does not need to change her last name, I would think like Sis. Minority Opinion mentioned, it would be to keep matters of bloodline clear.

Here in Canada by law you have the choice of keeping your maiden name (last name at birth) after marriage or take on your husband's last name or use your maiden name and your husbands last name both.

Like my name before marriage was for example _________ Zaheer

My husbands last name is Khan

After marriage I changed it to _________ Zaheer Khan.

It gets really confusing when I go to the hospital etc., and they call me Mrs. Zaheer Khan

Wassalamu alaikum.

But would it be okay for a woman to add a name then? i.e. her husband's name? e.g. Sarah Yellow Green? After marriage she would take her Husband's surname, but keep her maiden name as her middle name for example? :D

She's not strictly changing it then and the bloodline should still be clear right? :D

Eliza

As-salaamu 'Alaikum

Many have been confused by this...especially reverted bro & sis...from what I have been told and have read the best thing to do is keep your father's name, which would be your maiden name, because this is what you will be called by on the Day of Judgement. Allahu Alam.

"Imam Bukhari (RA) has included the following subtitle in his Sahih, 'Chapter on the fact that the people will be called by their father's name'. Under this chapter, he has recorded the narration of Sayyiduna ibn Umar, Radi-Allahu anhu, that Rasulullah said, 'Verily, a banner will be raised for the treacherous person on the day of Qiyamat and it will be proclaimed, 'This is the treachery of so and so, the son of so and so.' (Sahih Bukhari Hadith6177) (Note that the masculine tense was used for the parent of this 'so and so'.)"

Insha'Allah, this helps.