Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sallahudeen

Is It Haraam To Go To Other Religions Places Of Worship?

:D

Is it not allowed to go to a synagogue, church, buddhist temple etc, and what if it is for school? I have to go to an Armenian Church and a Buddhist Temple

(of course not to worship there, but according to my school "learn about other religions")

Edited by Sallahudeen

PropellerAds

As-Salaamu aleikum wa rahmat Allah wa barakatahu

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=937&CATE=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=937&CATE=4[/url]

W'as-Salaamu aleikum wa rahmat Allah wa barakatahu

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=937&CATE=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=937&CATE=4[/url]

So, I guess I can't. A buddhist temple would surely be a place where gross shirk is commited, and an Armenian Church. :D

:D ,

I wanted to know if it is okay to visit worship places of other religions when travelling. When I was small I went to Rome with my family and other parts of Europe. We visited the Vatican city and at times some of the beautiful churches we saw in the countryside. However we did not pray in them. We just went inside saw and came out nothing else. So was that right?? Is it allowed??

Is it not allowed to go to a synagogue, church, buddhist temple etc, and what if it is for school? I have to go to an Armenian Church and a Buddhist Temple

(of course not to worship there, but according to my school "learn about other religions")

:D ,

I wanted to know if it is okay to visit worship places of other religions when travelling. When I was small I went to Rome with my family and other parts of Europe. We visited the Vatican city and at times some of the beautiful churches we saw in the countryside. However we did not pray in them. We just went inside saw and came out nothing else. So was that right?? Is it allowed??

Asalam Alaikum

In my opinion there is nothing wrong is visiting the places of worship of other faiths. I mean it's not as if you are converting to those faiths is it? After all, if a non-muslim wanted to visit a Masjid he would be welcome and by that logic the reverse should apply as well.

After all, if a non-muslim wanted to visit a Masjid he would be welcome and by that logic the reverse should apply as well.

That logic is to try and spread Islam, as far as I understand. We invite/welcome non-muslims to Masjids so they can experience/understand Islam and maybe even want to convert, Insha'Allah. Its where knowledge is avaliable for all. But what benefit, other than understanding of other religions would we get by visiting these places? Maybe we would like to look at the pretty buildings!

Beware, sometimes you can be pushed into doing something you will later regret when you are in another religions worship place, especially if you don't understand how their religion works. So for knowledge and comparison maybe, to Islam, go ahead by all means. It could benefit you and me, whom knows!!!

Eliza

Assalamu Alaikum, Br. Sallahudeen my sincere suggestion to you is to consult your local Imam or an Aalim you trust regarding this issue. Unless there is an Islamic scholar on the Forum that you know, then you should PM him directly. Dont take chances.

I am inshaAllah going to consult one of my sons and post the reply here for you tomorrow.

Wassalamu Alaikum, Sis. Masooma.

Wassalamu Alaikum.

Assalamu alaikum Br. Sallahudeen, I posted your question and here is the answer, inshaAllah I hope it helps.

Assalamu Alaikum, Are we allowed to go to non Islamic religious worship places like the synagog, Church, Buddhist church, etc. if someone"s school requires them to learn about other religions.

As Salaam Alaikum

One is allowed to go to non Islamic religious worship places if someone’s school requires them to learn about other religions.

The reason is that this is for educational purposes and one can get a lot of Dawah material in this way.

However if this going is just for fun then it is Makrooh (undesirable) because a Muslim already has his own place to go for worship. Similar is the case with reading the bible. If it is for educational purposes then it is allowed or else if it is just like that, then it is Makrooh.

Jazaak Allahu Khair

Abu Zaid Uthman Bin Mahmood

Assalamu alaikum

Jazakumullah Khair, for that.

I was also wondering the same thing.

Ma'assalama

Assalamu alaikum Br. Sallahudeen, I posted your question and here is the answer, inshaAllah I hope it helps.

Assalamu Alaikum, Are we allowed to go to non Islamic religious worship places like the synagog, Church, Buddhist church, etc. if someone"s school requires them to learn about other religions.

As Salaam Alaikum

One is allowed to go to non Islamic religious worship places if someone’s school requires them to learn about other religions.

The reason is that this is for educational purposes and one can get a lot of Dawah material in this way.

As a non muslim but still a religious person, this makes sense.

However if this going is just for fun then it is Makrooh (undesirable) because a Muslim already has his own place to go for worship.

No disagreements either.

Similar is the case with reading the bible. If it is for educational purposes then it is allowed or else if it is just like that, then it is Makrooh.

Jazaak Allahu Khair

Abu Zaid Uthman Bin Mahmood

What is wrong with reading the bible? The old testament is surely the word of God, and the Words of Jesus in the Gospel and Revelation are surely the word of God. What Paul said in the Acts, Corinthians etc is debatable. How can muslims honestly expect to convert christians when you have scholars telling you not to read the bible for the enjoyment of reading the Word of God??

I did a search on "religion" and "nonbelievers" from a data base program I have that contains 4 different translations of the Quran. Nothing that immediately popped up. The only thing that grabbed my eye was this verse:

"The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah-the which We have sent by inspiration to thee-and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus: Namely, that ye should remain steadfast in Religion, and make no divisions therein: to those who worship other things than Allah, hard is the (way) to which thou callest them. Allah chooses to Himself those whom He pleases, and guides to Himself those who turn (to Him)."

(The Qur'an (Yusuf Ali tr), Surah 42)

Assalam Alaikum

If I remember correctly Umar bin Khattab (RA) and his men were invited for a feast in Jerusalem after the Muslims won control. This feast was in a church and was organized by the ruler of Jerusalem at the time. Umar could not go but he sent his men to attend the function on his behalf. If this was not permissible then surely Umar would not have sent his men. I dont recall the exact hadith. If anyone else knows what I am talking about can you please post it here. Jazakallah.

What is wrong with reading the bible? The old testament is surely the word of God, and the Words of Jesus in the Gospel and Revelation are surely the word of God. What Paul said in the Acts, Corinthians etc is debatable. How can muslims honestly expect to convert christians when you have scholars telling you not to read the bible for the enjoyment of reading the Word of God??

Once the Prophet (SAW) saw Umar bin Khattab (RA) reading from the Torah. He was reading from it to gain knowledge, not for debating/dawah purposes. The Prophet became angry and replied that if Musa (AS) were alive today, he would have to follow me.

"Umar ibn al-Khattab brought to Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) a copy of the Torah and said: ‘Allah’s Messenger, this is a copy of the Torah’. He (Allah’s Messenger) kept quiet and he (Umar) began to read it. The colour of the face of Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) underwent a change, whereupon Abu Bakr said: “Would that your mother mourn you, don’t you see the face of Allah’s Messenger?’ Umar saw the face of Allah’s Messenger (pbuh) and said: ‘I seek refuge with Allah from the wrath of Allah and the wrath of His Messenger. We are well pleased with Allah as Lord, with Islam as religion, and with Muhammad as Prophet’. Whereupon Allah’s Messenger (pbuh) said : ‘By Him in Whose hand is the life of Muhammad, even if Moses were to appear before you and you were to follow him, leaving me aside, you would certainly stray into error; for if (Moses) were alive (now), and he found my prophetical ministry, he would have definitely followed me’."

(Sunan Ad-Darimi, Vol. 1, Hadith No. 435)

Assalam alaikum

The original poster wanted to know if it is okay to visit places of other peoples worship..

The link you provided brother is a different question about praying in other peoples places of worship..

The original poster wanted to know if it is okay to visit places of other peoples worship..

The link you provided brother is a different question about praying in other peoples places of worship..

He doesnt even give any proof for his statement. He just says "The scholars tell us (based on explicit Prophetic hadiths)..."

"O ye who believe! If a wicked person comes to you with any news, ascertain the truth, lest ye harm people unwittingly, and afterwards become full of repentance for what ye have done." (Quran, 49:6)

Dont believe it just because this guy has the word Shaykh before his name.

Anyways to get back on track....can anyone find the proof of visit other religous places of worship?