Islamic Forum
RAAAZ

Worldly Education?

:sl:

Recently I spoke to a friend who quit school saying that ' I am going to dedicate myself to learning Quran and the knowldge of Islam and forget this worldly education because a degree will not help me in the aakhiraa!" As much as I appreciate the dedication to learn about the deen, I didn't agree with the mentality of putting down the worldly education! Allah HImself in the Quran refers in many verses as do the people not see how Allah created man? how He created the heavens and the earth? How He created honey bee? etc . Isn't He in a way asking us to study our surroundings to apprecaie Him?? The more you study , the more you appreciate and the more you fear Allah! as the verse in Quran says that "only those fear Allah who possess knowledge!" .

Every time some non-muslim makes a huge revolutionary discovery, we all jump and say that the muslims are sleeping, its the non-muslims that are making the discoveries!! But what about us? Are we not also a muslim who somehow have a responsibility to make the deen look good? :no: My ultimate goal is to be a pharmacist and I plan to go into research field not because of just big bucks in that industry! My goal thereby is to prove at least one of hadiths reagrding medicine for instance the one that 'the black seed has the cure in it for every disease except death! ". If I can just prove or try to prove at least one hadith to the world, wouldn't I be doing a huge service to Islam? Would not Allah be happy with me for my niyyah??

Another example could be a rich successful muslims person donating his her wealth to suuport Islamic schools/services etc which Allah granted HIM by means of the degree he obtained! I realize that one cannot fare well in this world without the education of the Quran and the Hadith but I also beleive that there is no such thing as 'wordly education' that all the so-called-useless-worldly education has its roots from the Quran and is very important to strengthen our beleifs and fully open our minds to appreciate Allah as Al-MUSAVVIR, as AL-KHALIQ .......... and all HIS other names! What do you guys think? :sl:

Edited by RAAAZ

PropellerAds

Wa 'alaykum assalam sister,

Maybe your friends decided to dedicate their time to Qur'aan and Sunnah Education because they feel that there is no point in pursuing worldly education if their eemaan is not intact - perhaps, in this light, they might have a point. But I entirely concur with how you feel sister, a Muslim should refrain from belittling the hard-work of another Muslim.

Knowledge seeking is vital upon every Muslim in order to understand the limits of what one can do in this world once he or she chooses to partake in a particular field, for example, Science or Construction. It is a good thing to pursue worldly education providing that our intentions are to seek the pleasure of Allah and serve Him on this Earth. The first type of knowledge that we should pursue is that which brings us closer to Allah subhaanahu wa ta'aala; the second step of knowledge is to achieve good in this world, in that we must practice what we know and share it with others. The first step benefits us individually, whilst the second one interrelates with the first step and the following: Knowledge can then be understood to establish and spread dignity, truth and justice in this world - just observe how today's world is running and you'll find that worldly education is beneficial at a communal level.

I think that what you are set out to do sis, is very good and I pray that Allah makes you successful in your mission, and increases you in faith. Ameen

Edit: As I've been taking this issue under a lot of consideration lately, I felt it necessary to expand on my post. While it is incumbent for every Muslim to live up to his and her individual responsibility, the five pillars of Islam give us a sense of responsibility upon the community, in other words we are obliged to give something back to our community. When we pray on our own, it solely benefits us, but when we pray in congregation, it involves the Muslim community. Likewise, if we study at schools, colleges and universities, one may argue that it's for personal benefits, i.e money, material-wealth and what not, and maybe to some extent it is okay as it enables a permissible living in this day and age; however, isn't it better to use this education to spend in charity, to benefit those that lack resources and organize youth, charity and related events that will truly benefit society at large? I believe that a good leader is the one that spends much to see beneficial results and lives his life as if he isn't very wealthy. A number of us need to be competent in both areas of knowledge, and not perform one at the non-performance of the other.

Salaam

Ameen to that! Jazakallah for your reply! Yeah I guess if you look at it from that perspective then that makes sense! Because first you need to strengthen your eeman but you know what? I have noticed that in my case reading scientific discoveries and just observing the facts that I see around me and when I remeber the verses from the Quran that point to those facts... I feel my eeeman soaring up Alhamdulilah i.e.! So I guess its a cycle where Quranic studies and the wordly studies go hand in hand!

Wa Iyyaki sister,

That is a wonderful way of acquiring knowledge - through practical steps and reflection.. it works doesn't it? I couldn't help but remember the following verse:

Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the night and the day; in the sailing of the ships through the ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which God sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds, and the clouds which they trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth; here indeed are signs for a people that are wise (Al-Baqarah 2: 164)

Salaam

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa barakatu

Here is a comment by Imam Al-Shafi'ee, raheematullah:

One who learns Qur'an strengthens his spiritual status

and one who obtains knowledge in fiqh becomes noble

and one who writes hadith obtains powerful logic

and one who obtains knowledge in language becomes well-mannered

and one who learns mathematics obtains unerring judgment

and one who does not protect himself will not benefit from his knowledge

Salam

I don't see anything wrong with pursuing 'worldly education'. I do, however, think that its study will be far satisfying, if it is that which will benefit the individual and society, but more importantly the Ummah. We are in dire need of Muslim doctors, teachers and lawyers. Especially given the society we live in nowadays it is imperative that we have professionals who have an understanding of Islamic perspectives when dealing with medicine, education and the law to cater to the needs of Muslims.

We must remember that Islam requires one to seek knowledge. The Prophet :sl: laid great emphasis on the quest for learning, and he urged Muslims to ‘seek knowledge, from the cradle to the grave, and to seek knowledge, even unto China’.We are not told to seclude ourselves from society, rather we must make a valuable contribution to it! We are not told to simply learn about our deen. Yes, it is beneficial, but surely utilizing our knowledge of it would also benefit us as individual as well as others, if for instance, it is channeled and implemented through mediums such as teaching. Moreover, a strong knowledge of Islamic principles can also serve to provide a backbone to the aforementioned professions and allow one to make well informed decisions, given that one has their deen as source of guidance and assurance for not only themselves, but for those that they cater to.

Here's just one beautiful quote I found by Arshad Gamiet, in a lecture at the Royal Holloway University

Dear Brothers and Sisters, Remember, as Muslims and Believers, you will have a great advantage over others. You have a spiritual dimension, which informs your search for knowledge, and gives it a context and meaning. Whether you are studying Petroleum Geology or Mathematics, Computer encryption or Medieval History, Astronomy or Management, you are really exploring Alláh’s wonderful world, in order to make a positive contribution to humankind. Remember always, that with every step you take on this exciting journey, with every new idea that swims into your mental horizon, you should say, Sub-haanalah, Alhamdu lillah, Allahu Akbar! Glory to Alláh, Praise Alláh, Alláh is the Greatest! All beneficial knowledge comes from Alláh, because we live in a purposive universe. Alláh has created everything for a purpose. Remember that every time you learn something new and useful, Alláh has lifted a veil, and uncovered another sign or Ayaat for you, from his wonderful unwritten Qur'án, which is the world of Nature

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetkhutbahbank(contact admin if its a beneficial link).uk/Royal_Holloway_khutbahs/Advice%20to%20Students.htm"]Here[/url]

May Allah swt guide us, bless us with knowledge and the means to utilize it in ways that please Him, are beneficial for our Imaan and the betterment of others. Ameen

you need wordly education to live in the dunya well its the case here in the west atleast.... I hate studying but got to do it as it is a means of going out to get your provisions, Inshallah.

I agree with you sister RAAZ, I don't see why they can't do both, get a degree and learn Qur'an and hadeeth.

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Knowledge is rizq and every rizq of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala is good and a blessing. Knowledge is also a tool. Therefore, we have to show Allah how grateful we are by using any rizq/barakah such as knowledge, money, sparetime, or health in the right way.

I believe it is better to learn worldly knowledge and use it for the sake of Allah to fulfill the rights of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and the rights of the creation, than learning Qur'an-and-Sunnah or Fiqh and then use this knowledge to gain worldly gain such as money etc. Religious knowledge can be used in the wrong or right way. Worldly knowledge can be used in the wrong or correct manner.

salam

Just wanted to add in, the first thing that Muhammad was told was 'Read' - Surah Iqra

Shows the importance of it all...

that is sooo true! We neeed a lot of educated muslims in front line such as lawyers, doctors, programmers, social workers, engineers etc. so that they can help the other muslims out there and also make the Muslim world look good! coz thanks to the media and crazy acts of a crazy few... the muslim world looks pretty bad !! we honestly need educated people who have high eeemaaan to prove to the world that we are all rounders! and the niyaah should be to be benefial to oneslef, ones family, society and muslim Ummah! coz this is it! Its us now! Our ancestors...the sahaba.. they are all gone now! Its not enough to have a gllorious past or exclaim everytime when a new discovery is made that hey the founders of this science were muslim scholars themselves! It has to be both types of educations I beleive!

We should keep up with both worldly and Deeni education. Balance is important.

Expanding on what is said above.We should balance deen and dunya(world) affairs.Where the deen is the tree tunk and the dunya is the branches and the leaves.That way we'll have a stronger foundation in Islam rather then if the tree tunk was dunya and the leaves were deen.Leaves can blow off the branch right?

So its important to put deen before dunya rather then dunya before deen.However as a test from Allah we have to learn how to balance them both.Dunya affairs can involve deen matters such as giving Dawah and teaching/informing/educating others about our deen.

I regard worldly education as important.

thats correct "balance" is the keyword!

Getting a degree is difficult, studying for my A levels at the moment takes up almost all of my time yet I still attempt to learn other things too. I think that an education in both is vital for people to be able to understand things around them, and to be able to help others around them. If you do not study and work hard, then how can you know all of the important things in life? It is also not possible to help as many people if your pay can only cover yourself and your family.

Memories of doing A Levels last year. :no:

Yeah mashallah good point above.Knowing about the surroundings such as poticial and economicial affairs etc is important.

So if you produce a bigger and better input then we can expect a bigger and better input.

From a small input its hard to get a bigger output.

Yep and balance is the key word. :j: