Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
*MuSlIm*

Young Adults?!

:D

I hope you are all in the best of health and Imaan, :D !

What could I say to a 14/15 year old boy (Y10) to try and get him to open up and talk to me?

He is non muslim, occasionally plays football with his friends and has an X Box.

As you can see, we don't really have that much in common :D .

Your ideas will be much appreciated!

P.s. Before you ask....he is my Mentee and I'm his Mentor :D

Edited by *MuSlIm*

PropellerAds

Assalamu alaikum

:D Take an interest in his interests!

Ma'assalama

The job of the mentor is to do......what exactly?

:D for your replies!

I have kind of taken an interest in his interests in that whilst I was out shopping, I picked up a (free!) 'games magazine' to see the latest releases :D

The job of the mentor is to do......what exactly?

Well, I'm studying at University so my job with the Mentees (I have 2) is to guide and support them, be it through Academic issues (ie homework etc or any questions they may have regarding HE) or Personal/Social issues (building confidence etc).

I meet up with them once a week and we discuss whatever they want. I guess its more because these kids are from schools which aren't exactly at the top of the League tables and the school recognises that they have the potential to rise above this and achieve their full potential...this is where we (Mentors) come in.

To get someone to open up to you, you have to make an impression on them, maybe you want to make the impression of being friendly by exploiting (not in a rude sense) their interests, if it was me personally.....i would ask them straight up, what is the main thing that annoys you? and, the second question would be, what is your favourite subject?

Its not a question of getting them to open up to you, its how you open yourself up to them.

Excellently put by brother Lateral, I was going to say something along the same lines.

You have to put yourself forward and understand their level of understanding and be willing to act 14/15 yrs sometimes! :D Think back to the time when you were 14/15 (even though it might have been sooo long ago :D :D ).

Eliza

just dont act like the teacher like figure and im sure theyl open up to you.

To get someone to open up to you, you have to make an impression on them, maybe you want to make the impression of being friendly by exploiting (not in a rude sense) their interests, if it was me personally.....i would ask them straight up, what is the main thing that annoys you? and, the second question would be, what is your favourite subject?

Its not a question of getting them to open up to you, its how you open yourself up to them.

Interesting...

Excellently put by brother Lateral, I was going to say something along the same lines.

You have to put yourself forward and understand their level of understanding and be willing to act 14/15 yrs sometimes! :D Think back to the time when you were 14/15 (even though it might have been sooo long ago :D :D ).

just dont act like the teacher like figure and im sure theyl open up to you.

:D !

:D dear muslims

once free with others, he may not feel threatened when u target him.

just my 2 cents

:D dear muslims

once free with others, he may not feel threatened when u target him.

just my 2 cents

Sorry akhie; I dont understand?

Edited by *MuSlIm*

what kinda xbox games hes plays :D ?

Fighting ones I think!

I went into my younger brothers room and saw GTA III on the bed. Now, I remember when GTA I came out so thinking I was quite 'clever' I told him (Mentee) "Hey, my brothers have GTA III!". He said "Thats old".

I think he's talking to me a bit more. Alot of the time hes like "ah dunno" (with a shrug of his shoulders). When I ask my brother (same age) what are boys interested in, he says ""ah dunno" (with a shrug of his shoulders).

Edited by *MuSlIm*