Islamic Forum
al faqeer

Evolution In The Bible, Says Vatican

Evolution in the bible, says Vatican

By Martin Penner

November 07, 2005

THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.

Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read correctly.

His statement was a clear attack on creationist campaigners in the US, who see evolution and the Genesis account as mutually exclusive.

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".

This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the precise details of how creation and the development of the species came about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so as to "understand things better".

His statements were interpreted in Italy as a rejection of the "intelligent design" view, which says the universe is so complex that some higher being must have designed every detail.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17162341-13762,00.html"]SOURCE[/url]

PropellerAds

Peace

My Question here to catholics or all christians would be :

dont you believe god created you in his image according to the bible ?

"Let us make humankind in our image, (4) according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth."1:26-27

So according to darwin we were monkeys ?

Here is how evolution can be found from Quran/hadiths, and even from words of prophet Jesus through Quran:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.angelfire(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/moon2/koran/index.blog?topic_id=1021104"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.angelfire(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/moon2/koran/index...opic_id=1021104[/url]

:D

95:4 We have indeed created man in the best of moulds

Peace to everyone

Peace Al Faqueer,

The article you bring about the new Vatican view is extremely interesting. After 400 years of denying scientific evidence, the Church finally accepts they made a mistake in the interpretations for over 1.500 years, and the world was not created in seven “days†but in seven “stages†of evolution. Translation error or interpretation error, it took their arrogance 400 years to bend down.

I hope Muslims will be wiser.

Here is one Muslim who knew what the Christian church did not know 2.000 years.

(www.)"http://geocities/Athens/5739/sidratul-muntaha-e.htm"]geocities/Athens/5739/sidratul-muntaha-e.htm[/url]

... the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) rose through seven heavens or levels of spiritual attainment, each one of which is symbolized by a meeting with one of the Messengers of Allah who had preceded him, as follows:

Heaven…Messenger……………….... . Symbolizes………………............ Level…...Fluid

------- ---------------------------- ------------------------------ .......------ ... ------

1st…. Prophet Adam .............……. Unity................………....……

.Material… Water

2nd Prophets John and Jesus.…..... Consciousness for Growth….Life……….. Water

3 …. Prophet Joseph ..............……. Freedom.......................

.…Soul…….....Water

4….. Prophet Idris ...............…….. Creativity .......……………....….Intellect..…

ater

5…… Prophet Aaron ……................. Faithfulness..................

..…Faith ....... Milk

6…… Prophet Moses……………........…. Firmness (Prophethood)….. Islam…...…Wine

7…… Prophet Abraham ………......…… Sacrifice (Risalah)……….…... Virtue….... Honey

The vertical hierarchy from the Material through Life and Soul (nafs) to Intellect (‘aql) is what we name physical evolution, while that from Faith (Iman) through Islam (Prophethood) to Voluntary Generosity (Ihsan) we call spiritual evolution.

Surprised?

Cheers

actually Islam is not on trial here asking , you are :D .

So Is Your god a monkey Astaghfirullah ? I mean no disrespect to any1 or any faith by that Question and Sorry for blunt the term for any1 reading this post but thats evolution and christianity mixed isnt it ?

If you are created in his image as the scripture says and evolution is correct in the same time thats what it means isnt it ?

There is no one position of the church regarding evolution. One must first define what kind of evolution you mean. Nearly all Christians allow for micro-evolution, that as climate and conditions change, certain species end up having a better chance of surviving in the new conditions. The controversy is over macro-evolution; were species created intact or did they evolve? If they did evolve, was this by random chance or was there purpose and design in the evolution? Many Christians are compelled by faith to believe that God indeed did create the species intact. Others try to bridge the gap between the two and conjecture that God used the process of evolution to make the cosmos. And truthfully, there are a number who are unwilling to spend much thought on the subject at all. They just don't worry/think about it.

The case for evolution is hardly airtight. I was surprised to see Scott Adams, creator of the Dilbert comic strip, predict that evolution will be replaced by another theory in the next 50 years. He is no creationist, but sees huge gaps in the story line for which there is no accounting. Interestingly, many of the well-known icons for evolution are not true to the real theory or are based on outright fraud. (Like the drawings of Ernst Haeckel, who cherry-picked and doctored his drawings of embronic development to fit expectations. In spite of scientists accusing him of fraud back in 1874, and his confession at the time, the drawings can still be found in textbooks as evidence. Another is the line up of different forms of the horse. it looks good, but in actuality there is some dispute over the species represented)

This is an interesting quote:

"Well, we are now about 120 years after Darwin, and the knowledge of the fossil record has been greatly expanded ...ironically, we have even fewer examples of evolutionary transition than we had in Darwin's time. By this I mean that some of the classic cases of Darwinian change in the fossil record, such as the evolution of the horse in North America, have had to be discarded or modified as a result of more detailed information." (Dr. David Raup, Curator, Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago, "Conflicts Between Darwin and Paleontology", Field Museum of Natural History Bulletin, Vol. 50(1), 1979, p 25)

Scientists are human too, and even in the hardest sciences, dogmas arise and you just don't buck them without emperiling your standing and funding. In most academic circles, evolution is assumed to be true, and so it is assumed that the gaps will eventually be plugged.

AssallamuAllaikum,

Gen: 1 V:31.

And God (swt) saw everthing that he had made and behold it was good. And there was evening and morning a sixth day.

Gen: 2 V: 1-3.

1. Thus the heavens and the earth were finished and all the host of them. 2.And on the seventh day God (swt) finished his work which he had done. 3. God (swt) blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God (swt) rested from all his work which he had done in creation.

(I have of course added (swt) where appropriate).

A couple of things stand out for me here. Firstly, God (swt) has said that his work was good, and secondly that it was finished. Make your own mind up whether anything else needed to happen.

The other question for me has always been, how long is a day for God(swt)?

Wassallam.

As long as it is considered scientific fact and they can provide evidence for Evolution, regardless of my religious faith, I'll have to accept that as fact.

Well Its not considered scientific fact , but theory thats why its thrown out of that category .

Peace

My Question here to catholics or all christians would be :

dont you believe god created you in his image according to the bible ?

"Let us make humankind in our image, (4) according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth."1:26-27

So according to darwin we were monkeys ?

since when has god had a graven image? god is an entity, not a human, we were created in gods image in that we control positive and negative attributes. id rather be a monkey then believe god looked like a man.

Well since we now live in an age where we can see all the religions similarities throughout the world and have an abundance of knowledge about them we can compare and dissect why humans found comfort in religion.

Scientists basically see that all religions (mythology) tried to explain things we cannot answer such as where we came from ?, why we are here ?, etc...

Explain the weather shifting, night and day... were all explained by wars of the gods or God having a hand in events in peoples lives, etc ....

Scientists cannot prove this so.... they came up an alternate theory, evolution.

Which is out of the realm of the supernatural. So get over it ! Science will never fully agree with religion !

One guy said that, if you look at all species on earth they all have such common attributes such as a head and tail or hands and legs and of course a memory.

With the use of technology modern science has discovered that viruses are constantly mutating by changing their DNA and therefore physical appearance.

So it isn't that great of a leap of faith to say that this has been happening since life began. And that these changes in DNA have resulted in different species of animals and eventually humans. Due to change in climate and the polar reversal that happens every 50,000-1 million years (planet exposed to lots of radiation) and the struggle to survive. This has also led to a great variation in species within say the chimpanzee where there are like 300 odd species.

So this is an answer fitting to modern man where we came from ? why we are here ?

The days of ghosts, angels, demons, curses and spirits are over now it seems.

Sun

Hi there,

It seems some are intent on proving that we (Christians) think our God is a monkey! LOL :D

From my point of view as a highly liberal Catholic (and other Christians believe differently) I see the bible as being inspired by God, written by man. In my view therefore, it is the spirit of the bible that is 'correct', there is only one God, if you are good then you go to heaven, murder is wrong, blessed be the peacemakers etc etc and the bible is (for me) the ultimate source for moral or religious guidance. However, I agree with the Vatican that it is not the source for scientific wisdom, the bible makes mistakes as it is written by men trying to understand God- a commendable aim but given God's greatness one that is unachievable.

Consequently, there is no contradition in my scientific belief that we evolved from germs passing through monkeys en route and my religious believe of God as a 'watchmaker', starting and steering creation and the evolution of man (and of course everything else).

That we are 'made in God's image' in my interpretation means we (as humans) are especially blessed creations of God as we are the closest to him of all his creations.

Love and Peace,

DARLA

They said evolution is in the Bible, huh.....

Well, that clears up that pesky issue of dinosaur bones that are far older than 6000 years old that people keep finding. What a relief :D