Islamic Forum
*eli*

Were They Right Or Wrong?

:D Brothers and Sisters.

Insha'Allah you're in the best of health and imaan.

As we all know we recently celebrated Eid-ul-Fitr Al'hamdulilah. And Insha'Allah we all enjoyed Eid and made dua for all our Muslim brothers and sisters.

My brothers went to Masjid (as you do) on Eid morning, my dad took them. After performing Salah its traditional for the youngsters to salam the elders by touching their feet (I personally do not agree with this method of salam :D) and then sharing the hugs (sorry don't know proper name). But this year, my brothers did not salam my dad by touching his feet, however they did offer salam verbally.

My dad was hurt by this and he made a comment which I will not repeat, intended for both of my brothers. My eldest brother did say he honestly forgot but my younger brother did not salam because he felt it wasn't Islamic, there is nothing in Islam saying one should (as far as I know too) and so he didn't. But he did offer salam verbally and also said Eid Mubarak. So my question is, were they right or wrong? And if they were wrong should they apologise to my father? :D My younger brother was contemplating for a long time whether he should or should not salam by touching feet, and then he didn't and felt guilty when my father made that comment. So both of them, in my opinion were totally innocent.

My sister didn't offer salam by touching feet either, just verbally and did say Eid Mubarak. Now he's not talking to them properly and keeps chastising them, making them feel really bad.

What should they do now? :D

JazakAllah kair for taking the time to read this and also for any replies.

With duas,

:D

Eliza

PropellerAds

It's culture, if it is against the shariah then it should not be done. Is there anything in the shariah that says you shouldn't do it?

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we commend your pursuit of knowledge and your eagerness to seek what is lawful and avoid what is not. We earnestly implore Allah to bless your efforts in this honorable way.

The greeting postures you refer to are part of the customs prevalent among people, and those customs may be acceptable in Islam if there is no violation of the rules of Shari`ah such as considering such acts as a form of worship. Thus, any action that is similar to an act of worship is forbidden in Islam when it is offered to anyone other than Allah.

Responding to the question, Sheikh Muhammad ibn Al-Mukhtar Ash-Shanqiti, president of the Islamic Association of Lubbock, Texas, US, states the following:

"People have different traditions in greeting and expressing respect, including kissing hands and nose and standing up for the new comer. All these traditions might be acceptable if three conditions are met:

1. They cannot be taken as a form of worship;

2. They cannot be exaggerated and overdone;

3. They cannot include something that has been forbidden by the Shari`ah, such as a man touching or hugging a woman that is not his mahram.

In addition to this, we should judge every situation within its own circumstance. For example, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said to his companions: “Do not stand for me the way the Persians do with their kings.†At the same time, it is reported that he asked his companions to stand up for Sa`d ibn Mu`adh saying: “Stand up for your leader.â€

The difference between the two narrations is that in the first case people used to worship and adore their kings, in which case the Prophet blocked avenues that would mean any sense of worship to other than Allah. On the other hand, Sa`d (may Allah be pleased with him) was brought injured (in the battle of the Trench) to the Prophet, so the Prophet wanted to honor him and boost his morale. So the difference is in the circumstances that surrounded each case."

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503547744"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satelli...d=1119503547744[/url]

I would like to point out that touching the feet is the custom of the hindus

And as was standing up the custom of the Persians.

I don't know what touching the feet means, but if it means "worshipping" your parents then obviously it should not be done.

Thats why I thought its not allowed in Islam!!! ^

And Bro Panthera, what if people expect you to touch their feet out of respect? Would that be acceptable? But I was taught, that we should bow down to Allah swt alone and no other. And fair enough we could probably get away with touching feet out of respect (Although the Hindus do this so wouldn't we be immitating them? :D) but what if I demanded and expected it just because I was older than you? More status than you? I demand respect from you by expecting you to touch my feet? Would it be accpetable then?

JazakAllah kair for your replies brothers.

Eliza

Edited by *eli*

Touching feet? Thats what hindus do, that would be distorting the practice of Islam.

Having that said, I wrote this question in my journal thingy:

What do you do when the higher power is determined to shape you into the wrong thing?

Well.....let that linger in your mind, as far as authority goes :

People gain respect and higher places in society/ family because of the things they have done, the VERY REASON why we are supposed to respect elders because most of the time, the elders would have been wiser and would have done more good acts than us.

However, there have been times i have seen my own teachers act like kids and discriminating me just because i corrected/said something more clever, i dont respect them for that, infact i screamed my head off at them.

I really dont see why your brothers should apologise to your father (no disrespect to your father, im sure you know what kind of tone im communicating in inshaAllah) just because he endorses an expectation which distorts a particular part of moral practice.

And as was standing up the custom of the Persians.

I don't know what touching the feet means, but if it means "worshipping" your parents then obviously it should not be done.

when i read ur post something came to my mind ..one of their sayings -"mata pita guru deva" ....which means "mother father and teachers are ur gods..." not that this saying has something to do with the aact .i too dont know why they do it . but its always "safe" not to imitate the kuffar

Assalamu'Alikum,

Yaa Ukthi...I also went through this trail. Alhumdullilah i wouldn't back down if i was your brother!! This is clearly not of the Sunna of our Prophet(SWS), also in order to touch the feet you have to bow down to your father...In Islam Q&A it is clearly stated that this act is HARAM and Biddah and one cann't participate in this!!

Fee Amanillah.

JazakAllah kair for your answers. I am glad and somewhat relieved that you all think the same as me, although I haven't said anything to my brothers yet! I didn't want to influence their decision without knowing right from wrong myself.

I don't think they will apologise, especially my younger bro and sis, they're both good at standing firmly in what they believe is right, Insha'Allah. Dunno about the older bro though, he could still apologise, but thats upto him at the end of the day. If any of my siblings ask me whether they should apologise at least I have an answer now.

Eliza

In Islam Q&A it is clearly stated that this act is HARAM and Biddah and one cann't participate in this!!

do you have any links to this? this is a custom and Islam is not here to takeaway our custom that do not come in conflict with the shariah.

i personly do not like touching feet becuase it makes me feel lower, and i do not want to be forced to feel lower then another being. (bro Panthera Tigris your probly laughing at the touching feet thing now haha :D )

Assalamu'Alikum,

Akhs think about it, in order to touch the feet you have to bow down...we are only allowed to bow to Allah(SWT).

Fee Amanillah.

Assalamu'Alikum,

Akhs think about it, in order to touch the feet you have to bow down...we are only allowed to bow to Allah(SWT).

Fee Amanillah.

and i also have to bow down to put socks on for my granny so is that haram too?

sorry for sounding rude but we should be careful when using logic with Islamic rulling.

If you kiss your parents hands you have to bow it shows respect and gratitude to them , its the intention that counts Yaa akhwaan dont complicate your religion jazakumuallah khair

Assalamu'Alikum,

Lolz....this is funny!! So what do you call the whole bowing down and kissing the feet thing? Do you not call it "Salams" lolz..where did the prophet(SWS0 do that? What Hadith? On top of that the Hindus who are disbelievers are the people who have started this...and we follow? To my heart it is clearly wrong..In the Quran it is written wrong and right are as clear as the night and day!!

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam.tc/ask-imam/view.php?q=14658"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam.tc/ask-imam/view.php?q=14658[/url]

Also the intention does count you are right akhie, however the action has to be hallal too.

Fee Amanillah.

Edited by Ehsan

br al faqeer said about kissing the hands, which i dont think is wrong...

Assalamu'Alikum,

Kissing parents hands or wifes hands just shows affection!! It is not called "Giving Salams" and doesn't even come near minor shirk. Come on is it that hard to see!! You BOW DOWN to your parents FEET and then kiss it or touch it like you are getting some sort reward? Suban'Allah for me it is clear as night and day.

Fee Amanillah.

well i personally don't believe in bowing like the indian style they have...when i went to india we used to give nromal :D ...the people minded at first , then came to the conclusion we were just different and disrespectful cuz we were from canada :D

akhi its not called salam, proper bengali word for it is "kodum busi"

the word salam just replaced it with the intention to shorten it and the word salam is just understand as "greeting" and not "peace".

yes the proper (saw) didnt do it but then again he wasnt indian.