Islamic Forum
Al Farooq

Who Is Mainly To Blame For Distorting The Image Of Islam?

Who is MAINLY to blame for distorting the image of Islam?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who is MAINLY to blame for distorting the image of Islam?

• Ignorant Muslims ?
    • Ignorant Non-Muslims ?
    • Ignorant Muslims and Non-Muslims ?
    • Enemies of Islam ?

:D

I chose the first option, dont ask me why but we havnt done our duty properly in potraying Islam properly

This will be intresting.....

Edited by Al Farooq

PropellerAds

I believe that it's a mixture of the last 2: Ignorant muslims and non-muslims, plus the enemies of Islam...

i didnt know what to pick, but my answer would be those who like to intepret Islam the way they think want it to be, and not the way it is. :D

1. European Islamaphobia has existed for over a thousand years, there's nothing new about the false portrayal of Islam.

2. Muslims themselves have been creating divisions and spreading propoganda against each other for even longer.

With 1 and 2 combined, it's child's play for someone to distort the image of Islam in modern media.

It's easy to blame our scholars for not doing enough to educate the Muslims, but the average Muslim needs to take responsibility aswell for not learning.

(I would vote for: Ignorant Muslims and the Enemies of Islam)

Edited by Shagird

Muslims. Simple because of the fact that our personalities have grown so cliché that its easy for the rest of the world to listen to the media....we arent unique/patient/shining examples therefore propaganda can be easily spread.

Asalaamo aleykum,

I vote for ignorant Muslims ...and the hypocrites among Muslims I guess...

waleykum assalaam,

:D ,

I think its not just one group of people to blame. Its a variety of people which largely and sadly consists of Muslims themselves. Its mostly ingorant Muslims and also in my personal opinion Muslims who follow blindly which leaves room for misunderstanding of deen. I think every Muslims should read the Quran and understand it and should know about the way of life of Hazrat Muhammad :D because I have seen so many people who just start doing what everyone is doing thinking that its a part of deen. Muslims should educate themselves about deen so that we present a better Ummah. :D

Ignorant Muslims and non Muslims with more blame on Muslims. WEHERE ARE OUR LEADERS??

assalamu alaikum

Enemies of Islam both muslims and non muslims. In the name of Islam if muslims are aiming at selfish goals, they too are responsible. And they are enemies of Islam.

1. European Islamaphobia has existed for over a thousand years, there's nothing new about the false portrayal of Islam.

2. Muslims themselves have been creating divisions and spreading propoganda against each other for even longer.

With 1 and 2 combined, it's child's play for someone to distort the image of Islam in modern media.

It's easy to blame our scholars for not doing enough to educate the Muslims, but the average Muslim needs to take responsibility aswell for not learning.

I totally agree with this.

hmmm, true

We constantly produce new prototypes to express our apparently ingrained hatred of “Islam.†In the 1970s we were haunted by the image of the immensely rich oil sheikh; in the 1980s by the fanatical ayatollah; since the Salman Rushdie affair, “Islam†has become a religion that spells death to creativity and artistic freedom. But none of these images reflects the reality, which is infinitely more complex. Yet this does not stop people from making sweeping and inaccurate judgements

Karen Armstrong, Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet (London: Phoenix Press, 2001), p. 43.

Contemporary global politics is the age of Muslim wars. Muslims fight each other and fight non-Muslims far more often than do peoples of other civilizations. Muslim wars have replaced the cold war as the principal form of international conflict. These wars include wars of terrorism, guerrilla wars, civil wars and interstate conflicts. These instances of Muslim violence could congeal into one major clash of civilizations between Islam and the West or between Islam and the Rest

Samuel Huntington, “The Age of Muslim Wars,†Newsweek, January 2002.

Ignorant Muslims and non Muslims with more blame on Muslims. WEHERE ARE OUR LEADERS??

I agree. And our leaders are too busy currying favour with the USA so they can go on oppressing their people.

Assalmaou Alaicom wr wb

...to be honest, we all contribute to the picture of distorting the image of Islam. At many times, I for example, is able to do for the benefit of the image of Islam yet won't do so due to being passive about things or simply lack knowledge ... knowledge that I could have earned but didn't because of lazziness.

So the first to blame in my view is my own nafs that at times I have difficulty to empower. I mean... revival could never be if we do not realise that we are in the picture.

Yet there are two picutes, the picture that lead to the distortion of the image of Islam, and the other which leads to its constructiveness.

The question is, which picture are we in, or which picture do we prefer to be in?

Fee amanilah.

Edited by guidance

sorry chief, maybe I should have said Saudi Arabia, is that acceptable ?

don't assume, you may fall into the same trap you accuse me of being in

Whoever voted "enemies of Islam" really need to open their eyes and minds.

you have forgotten there to mention western media i your options-it does the most harm acording to me

I agree, it should have been included.

It's so easy to for one to say " WHERE ARE OUR LEADERS," so let me ask what are you doing in order to make this leadership possible (rhetorical- no need to reply)?

Personally, I like to look at myself before I start blaming others. What am I lacking?...What should I improve?

One thing I'd like to note is that it's so easy for us to blame our fellow Muslim brothers and sisters in Islam. How often do we give them credit for the good things that they do? For example, you go to khutbahs and all you hear sometimes is why you shouldn't skip the khutbah or what is the punishment for not coming to the khutbah. Like, the people who actually showed up at the khutbah are the last you should be giving that lecture to. Why not mention the benefits of attending the khutbah?

We shouldn't be so quick to generalize, what were the crusades but hundreds of years worth of false propaganda lead by western orientalists? That doesn't go away too easily. Some of the texts produced in that era are still being quoted today!

What some misguided Muslims do shouldn't distort the image of all the Muslim ummah. Our job as Muslims is to spread the message of Islam, we are not responsible for making Muslims- though we make du'a that the non-Muslims do become Muslim. Not all non-Muslims believe what is wrongly being said against the Muslims although some still do.

I do not believe the distorted imagine of Islam is largely the fault of the Muslims although I do believe that we can do more to improve our situation.

If anything, it's due to a number of factors which include but are not limited to the mistinterpretations of Muslims and non-Muslims alike.