Islamic Forum
Pe@ce

Combining Intentions In Prayer

Assalamu Alaikum

This is when you read one prayer and in your intention you can combine different prayers such masjid/wudhu/taubah etc and get the reward for all of them even though you've just read one prayer..

What madhab/scholars allow this and what are the rules?

What prayer do you add them to?

What/how many different prayers can you add?

PropellerAds

:sl:

Interesting question.

You can search/ask at (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_askimam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_askimam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url] for the ruling according to Hanafi madhhab.

:no:

:sl:

Assalaamu 'alaykum

I don't have a detailed answer for you, but I did ask my teacher, who is a sheikha and very knowledgable mashaa'Allah. She told me that it is okay as long as you are combining the intention for supererogatory prayers of the same level. For example, sunnah with sunnah and nafl with nafl. Based on what she read, she believes that you can't combine the fard with the sunnah, for example you can't pray 4 rak'aa Dhuhr with the 4 sunnah of Dhuhr with the same intention. Allah :sl: knows best.

Here's a fatwa as well:

[iframe]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1122819224298[i'm not allowed to use this tag yet]

Assalamu Alaikum

Jazaaki Allahu khayr sister Haqqul Yaqeen for asking your teacher, that is pretty much what I was told by a hanafi brother but I wanted to be sure and find out other opinions on this which is why I made this thread. What fiqh does she follow?

Apparently you can pray the masjid prayer and add to it approx 5 or 6 different prayers such as wudhu/tawbah/shukr etc, and get the reward for all of them InshaAllah.

InshaAllah we could be gaining a lot of "free" hassanat by simply adding these to our intention.

Allah knows best.

Edited by [email protected]

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Long time ago, our local shaykh, Shaykh Yasir Birjas, gave a lecture after Ishaa Prayer talking about prayers including your question:

Question 1: I Don't Know

Question 2: We talked about the topic of what to do if you make mistakes during prayer and when it is required to perform sujood of forgetfulness.

a) There is a general rule that says that the Obligatory always fulfills the Voluntary. For example, if there is a difference in opinion on is strict and the other is lenient. If you follow the strict you automatically fulfill the lenient opinion, but the lenient cannot fulfill the strict or the Voluntary the Obligatory. Consequently, if you pray an obligatory prayer then you can make the intention during prayer to make it voluntary, but you can't start a voluntary prayer and in the middle of it you change it to a fardh prayer.

b) The rule is that you don't leave the masjid without performing at least two raka'at. Therefore, if you pray to raka'ah sunnah before fajr then you fulfilled this requirement. Or if you come late and you join the jama'ah, then you fulfilled the rule as well. And Allah knows best.

Question 3: I don't know if one can beforehand make intention for more than one prayer. Maybe, if you combine prayers etc. Allah knows best.

This is what I learned from the lecture.

In the next post I insha'Allah will give you some information from the Shafi'ee School of Throught

Salam

Edited by Yusha Isra'eel

Assalamu Alaykum

According to Shafi'ee School of Thought according to the book: FIQH AL IBADAT (Jurisprudence of Worship) by Hajjah Durriah Al-Aytah, may Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala reward him for his effort tremendously:

The Ruling on Niyah/Intention in general:

Umar ibn Al Khattab, radi Allahu Anhu, said: "The Messenger of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, sallallahu'alayhi wassallam, said: 'Every deed is according to its intention and to each person what he intends.'" Furthermore, prayer is a pure worship accomplished by certain actions hence it is not valid without an intention. Scholars have agreed that prayer is not valid without intention. Therefore, one who, intentionally or absentmindedly, leaves it is not considered to have begun his prayer.

Conditions of Intention:

1. When performing obligatory prayer:

a) to make the intention to perform the prayer

b) to specify which one it is, in order to distinguish it from other prayers.

c) the place of intention is in the heart

d) to know that the prayer is obligatory. Hence, if one makes the intention without specifying that the prayer is obligatory, the prayer counts as recommended one.

e) If one mentions the wrong number of raka'at, such as saying in the intention for Dhuhr three or five, then one's prayer does not count because one is negligent. Though, if one is not sure of the prayer's time so he intends to perform the prayer either as current or as a missed one, then his prayer is valid.

f) When making up a missed prayer it is sufficient to specify which one it is, Dhuhr, Asr, etc. without mentioning the year, month and day on which it was missed.

2. When performing a non-obligatory prayer, except nafl:

a) to make intention to perform prayer.

b) to specify whether it is a regular sunna, a sunna connected to a particular time, or performed for a specific reason.

c) to specify whether the regular sunna prayer is performed before or after the obligatory prayer.

d) In prayers that are performed for a reason which may coincide with another prayer such as greeting the Masjid prayer or the two raka'ah after wudu, it is not necessary to specify the prayer, though it is recommended. Such as saying/have it in your heart: "I intend to pray two rak'at of the sunna of Asr together with the sunna of greeting-the-mosque prayer" It is recommended but not essential.

e) However, if it is prayed independently then it must be specified.

3. When performing nafl prayer:

- When performing nafl prayer, it is sufficient to intend to perform the prayer.

This is the information about Niyah if have so far from this book according to Shafi'ee School of Thought. I'll post more information if I find more relevant answers.

Salam

Edited by Yusha Isra'eel