Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chebeya

Music......................

have you listened to Sami yusuf before? I would like to know.

:D

Please do not deprive us of your salutations.

Would listening to somebody change my opinion on Islamic dos and donts? No, it would not.

Wassalam

Please do not deprive us of your salutations.

Would listening to somebody change my opinion on Islamic dos and donts? No, it would not.

Wassalam

:D :D

Brother Aburafay, why do you always assume that everyone knows what you know?

If you don't know how to answer questions, please don't even bother. I think we're all adults and rationals here, I totally got the first part of this topic and I'm convinced, however, I think that Sami Yusuf is a special case that I needed an Islamic view of it to be sure. Thanks anyways.

I'll direct my question to other members on the forum.

Please Advice: Has anyone heard Sami Yusuf's nasheeds and Music, If yes? is it considered Haram in Islam? knowing that all of his music is dedicated to Allah (SW), Mohamed (PBUH) and Islam. please only answer if you HAVE heard Sami Yusuf and if you are KNOWLEGABLE about Islam.

I don't listen to Sami Yusuf's nasheeds. However, the few that i've heard had a lot of music in it.

One hadith from the Bukhari Shareef, the most authentic Book of Hadith, confirms unlawfulness of music and singing :

`There will be people of my Ummah who will seek to make lawful; fornication, wine-drinking and the use of ma`aazif ( musical instruments ).`

From this hadith, using musical instruments is haraam.

So brother, some of sami yusuf's nasheeds are filled with music. And as sis maksofah wrote that music will not benefit you in any way. You know that it is wrong to listen to these nasheeds. However, you are still persistent in trying to justify them. May Allah :D guide us to do the right things.

AssallamuAllaikum,

I have heard some of Sami Yusuf's music and he does produce music that has no insrtumentation in it, but you have to ask yourself about the overall picture. I think that he has almost become a kind of "pop star" to a lot of young people, particularly females, that cannot be healthy spiritually. I am as certain as I can be that that was not the intention but is certainly the result of his musical endeavour. I am also quite sure that it is as much about the person watching HIM as it is his music but the consequence is the same.

I would advise that there are many acceptable nasheed cd's to listen to, the fact that you have doubts about this one should be enough for you to stop listening to it.

Wassallam.

I was brought up a Christian. I became a Muslim March 2005, alhamdulillah! Now I was so involved in Music and talented in it that I was about to make a career in it, as a classical pianist, accompanist, piano teacher, music teacher, conducter, composer etc... 2003/2004 I actually completed 1 year of study at the Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester, UK. September 2004 I transferred to Bristol University to start a Music Degree. However, throughout that time, I had much spiritual unrest. It was just after I started at Bristol that I read the Qur'an for the first time, and started looking into Islam.

However, it was only December 2004 (so 1 year ago) that I came across ahadith showing that Music is Haram in Islamic shari'a. February 2005 I made istikhara, and it came out negative and so I gave up University, and submitted to the law of Allah fully, taking shahadah as well.

As for myself, it changed my life. For the bad, worse? Of course, in a way. But on the other hand, one only has to listen to the Qur'an being recited and one realises what vanity music really is, in comparison. Spiritual fulfilment is my ultimate goal in life and nothing is more important than being spiritually content.

I heard a sheikh who said that a possible reason why Music is prohibited in Islam is because the Muslim will be more moved and emotionally stirred by the Music than by the recitation of the Qur'an. It is a question of focus on dhikrullah. I did not find it hard to give it up, I did and do not have withdrawal symptoms. I went from having music as part of my life to taking it completely out. I do not miss it at all. By Allah, the glorious Qur'an is enough. There are times when I regret making such a huge sacrifice, but the better of me knows that the only actual purpose of Music is AMUSEMENT, and I know better than most.

Plus, my Muslim father always tried to dissuade me from music from a young age, but I went against him. It is only now that I understand when I said that Music is the work of the devil.

I have string of qualifications and even have letters after my name, all for what? I don't take any pride in them. In fact, I have given them up and conceal them knowingly, for the sake of Allah alone. Can you see where I am coming from, brothers and sisters?

Assalamo AlaIkum, brother!

Welcome to Islam. I pray that your decision brings you abundant benefits from Allah :D in this world, and in akhira.

Have you posted your reversion story in the section devoted to reversions? If not, I suggest you write briefly about yourself, so that people may read your thoughts in their proper perspective there.

Indeed, what we sacrifice for Allah :D is a good trade and investment, as we get thousand-fold return for it.

One thing that is not clear from your post is about your father. You say he is Muslim, yet, you were raised Christian. It will be off-topic, but that is another problem that we can then raise as a discussion point in a new thread.

Wassalam

I was brought up a Christian. I became a Muslim March 2005, alhamdulillah! Now I was so involved in Music and talented in it that I was about to make a career in it, as a classical pianist, accompanist, piano teacher, music teacher, conducter, composer etc... 2003/2004 I actually completed 1 year of study at the Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester, UK. September 2004 I transferred to Bristol University to start a Music Degree. However, throughout that time, I had much spiritual unrest. It was just after I started at Bristol that I read the Qur'an for the first time, and started looking into Islam.

However, it was only December 2004 (so 1 year ago) that I came across ahadith showing that Music is Haram in Islamic shari'a. February 2005 I made istikhara, and it came out negative and so I gave up University, and submitted to the law of Allah fully, taking shahadah as well.

As for myself, it changed my life. For the bad, worse? Of course, in a way. But on the other hand, one only has to listen to the Qur'an being recited and one realises what vanity music really is, in comparison. Spiritual fulfilment is my ultimate goal in life and nothing is more important than being spiritually content.

I heard a sheikh who said that a possible reason why Music is prohibited in Islam is because the Muslim will be more moved and emotionally stirred by the Music than by the recitation of the Qur'an. It is a question of focus on dhikrullah. I did not find it hard to give it up, I did and do not have withdrawal symptoms. I went from having music as part of my life to taking it completely out. I do not miss it at all. By Allah, the glorious Qur'an is enough. There are times when I regret making such a huge sacrifice, but the better of me knows that the only actual purpose of Music is AMUSEMENT, and I know better than most.

Plus, my Muslim father always tried to dissuade me from music from a young age, but I went against him. It is only now that I understand when I said that Music is the work of the devil.

I have string of qualifications and even have letters after my name, all for what? I don't take any pride in them. In fact, I have given them up and conceal them knowingly, for the sake of Allah alone. Can you see where I am coming from, brothers and sisters?

Jazak Allah kul Khair brother for sharing your story, it really inspired me.

Any activity that results in no benefit to your deen is a wast of time. :D

You do not derive real tangible benefit from watching a commercial production of anything. You would be much better off trying to read and understand the Qur'an and Sunnah, and implement them in our lives.

Islamic CDs also come in the same category. Music aside, some of the people who write the nasheeds get carried away, and write stuff that is border-line. Why should we listen to somethingthat could take us away from the right path.

Wassalam

salam, are u promoting a belief that there should be no entertainment in our life? we go to site seeing....we go for walking along the beach...familites sit togeher and enjoy themselves. we get involved in reading story books, novels. We play games like football. we go for horse riding, painting. gardering, and so many things in our life. are u probiting people? Did Allah gave any one any authority to prohibit such things?

wassalam

salam, are u promoting a belief that there should be no entertainment in our life? we go to site seeing....we go for walking along the beach...familites sit togeher and enjoy themselves. we get involved in reading story books, novels. We play games like football. we go for horse riding, painting. gardering, and so many things in our life. are u probiting people? Did Allah gave any one any authority to prohibit such things?

wassalam

No, sister, there is a misunderstanding. But before I respond, let me make one thing very clear. The authority to prohibit anything is only with Allah :D. I have not said anything that indicates prohibition. In fact, there are scholars who do not disapprove of music.

I have said two things.

Firstly, we must do things that benefit our performance of the deen. Music, watching TV serials, reading novels, etc., would be in the list of prime time-wasters in this context.

Secondly, we should do things that have a tangible benefit. For example, walking, playing games, anything that brings the family together, taking part in social activities to improve the Muslim society within your area, etc.

Wassalam

of of walaw i didnt know music was harram or not i mean i had an idea but i thought like haifa type of music or like goth type of rock and things like that. wow i dont know what to say i love music, and something i dont understand is if its haram then how is it that in a wedding for example music is being played, i dont think its haram seriously thats too much so if u listen to music is there less chance of you going to paradise plz tell me becuz i am confused!!!

:D sister!

First of all let me welcome you to the forum. I pray that your stay here is fruitful.

Secondly, please do not deprive us of your salutations.

As regards music, the playing of music in weddings does not justify it in any way. Islam is not what we think. It is believing what we are told through the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Wassalam

Assalamu Alaykum

Im just wondering...if anything that distracts us from thinking about Allah is haraam, then everything that we do for our daily living is haraam.....we could better just sit and improve our religion...

But as we are tied to this world, we often cannot avoid doing things that take our time which we could spend on reading Quran for example.....

And what if somebody is listening music while cooking, or washing something.....then its not taking his time at all.....for that person couldnt anyway pray or read Quran at the time....

I would also be grateful if someone could give a real example from the life of prophet Muhammad and his teachings that would show any direct forbidding of music in general....

Because the ban on drinking alcohol, eating pork etc., is directly in Quran....so there is no discussion about it...., but music is nowhere so directly forbidden......and why, if it is the same thing?

I am a muslim convert and this is the question that Im very confused of.....

For me personally, as I cannot read Quran in Arabic, nor do I have much access to other Islamic activities; I must say that listening to Islamic music is much more strenghtening than weakening my religion....

Also- you have said that only using instruments is haraam and so vocal music isnt......why is it like that when vocal music distracts you from Allah in the same way as instrumental music....?

:D sister!

Distraction is not the main reason for prohibition, as you will see from the following hadith, music comes beside things that are expressly mentioned as haram:

007.069.494 - Drinks - - - -

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari

that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who willstay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy themduring the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

You said that you cannot read Arabic. I suggest you go to Islamicity(contact admin if its a beneficial link) where they have the translations of the Qur'an and Hadith in English. The search facilities in both texts are very good. There is also an excellent site called tafsir.com, where you can find the translation of one of the best tafsir of the Qur'an. If there is any ayah that you want to understand, you can go there and select the surah, and then scroll down the subjects to arrive at what you want.

As regards your comment about other worldly things that distract us, you are absolutely right, but Allah :D has made certain responsibilities and obligations for us. We must meet these responsibilities and obligations also, as Allah :D does not want us to become hermits or priests, and give up our responsibilities to remember Him.

Wassalam

walaikumussalam segina

Haven't seen u for a long time :D

Ibn Al-Atheer reported Muhammad [pbuh] as saying: "I have never tried to do what my people do except for two times. Every time Allah intervened and checked me from doing so and I never did that again. Once I told my fellow-shepherd to take care of my sheep when we were in the upper part of Makkah. I wanted to go down to Makkah and entertain myself as the young men did. I went down to the first house of Makkah where I heard music. I entered and asked: ‘What is this?’ Someone answered: ‘It is a wedding party.’ I sat down and listened but soon went into deep sleep. I was awakened by the heat of the sun. I went back to my fellow-shepherd and told him of what had happened to me. I have never tried it again."[Raheequl Makhtoom]

U can still listen to songs with out music...i think they are available on the net

walaikumussalam

Firstly, we must do things that benefit our performance of the deen. Music, watching TV serials, reading novels, etc., would be in the list of prime time-wasters in this context.

Secondly, we should do things that have a tangible benefit. For example, walking, playing games, anything that brings the family together, taking part in social activities to improve the Muslim society within your area, etc.

salam, brother, you are only guessing here. may be you have never heard good music, good tv serial, good novels. Do you know, reading a good novel is better than 'playing games' which you say will bring more tagible benefit. i agree with sakina here..."listening to Islamic music is much more strenghtening than weakening my religion....".

No need for pure Islamic music only. there are music which make us aware of the responsibilities towards soceity. for istance, there is this music sung by a few blind kids (i cry all the time listening to this music). this music is so pupular that it has got so many awards for its contents. there was even incident that a lady went to this blind school and gave for the kids her ornaments. it is really sad you say prime time-wasters. pls better keep silent if you dont know what is music.

wassalam

If music and singing is forbidden.........then why you laugh,cry,scream etc...........they all are music......

Music is in every corner of the world........what do you think about door bells and phone rings or tone?

What do you think about that beautiful song a mom sing for her baby?Is it also haram?

What about the birds? the flow of water? the wind? the heart beat?

Please answer my questions

If music and singing is forbidden.........then why you laugh,cry,scream etc...........they all are music......

Music is in every corner of the world........what do you think about door bells and phone rings or tone?

What do you think about that beautiful song a mom sing for her baby?Is it also haram?

Please start your communications with atleast the minimum prescribed salutations.

You misunderstand sister. We are talking of music and singing, and we are talking of what we are told in the Qur'an and Sunnah. What you have listed do not come in the definition of music.

There is a difference of opinion among scholars, which is a matter we can consider. But personal whims and fancies are not basis for accepting or rejecting a ruling.

In (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?s=&showtopic=18048&view=findpost&p=236120"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?s=&showto...ndpost&p=236120[/url] I have given the ayah, and its interpretation by Ibn Kathir in his extremely well accepted tafsir, which should be sufficient evidence in support of music being haram. If you agree, :D, if you don't you must have a sound basis for rejection, as you will be held accountable for rejecting daleel (evidence) on the basis of your personal desires.

Wassalam

Asaalam Mualaikum

Can you please explain me what is music and singing........

You are wrong we can reject any rule on the basis of our personal whims and fancies........ we have the freedom to do so.

Imperial1 has already given the answer of the ayaah and i am with her

Asaalam Mualaikum

Can you please explain me what is music and singing........

You are wrong we can reject any rule on the basis of our personal whims and fancies........ we have the freedom to do so.

Imperial1 has already given the answer of the ayaah and i am with her

Walaikum Assalam!

If the attitude is to reject evidence, and rely on personal whims and fancies, I am sorry, I cannot oblige. Suggest you open hadith search, and look for them yourself. Your own research will guide you, :D.

Wassalam

any form of music is not allowed! its like saying cigartes are not haram they werent there at the prophets time saws but it is bad towards ur religion health and family! music only weakens ur soul it is a distraction from the quran. nashida is ok but not too much of it! sister i'm sure u know the meaning of Music the birds they just sing because thats how god made them! but us humans we werent suppose to listen or sing music but we were brought here to worship Allah only :D

Assalaamu 'Alaykum brothers and sisters,

If music is haraam because it wastes our time, then anything not involving direct concentration on something tangibly beneficial could be time-wasting. I seriously doubt that one would argue that going on the internet is a waste of time, though I'm sure some Muslims in the Middle East would think so. It's a cultural or individual decision I believe to listen to music, play video games, or go online. All of them could conceivably (among many other things) be a waste of time, but a little thinking would reveal to most that there are great benefits that result in doing such things.

Music can awaken us and make us feel more in touch with our emotions and with Allah (swt). It reveals a beauty in our human abilities that Allah has given to us to express deep love and feeling for things that are otherwise difficult to convey. In making or listening to good music, we are showing a deep reverance for Allah and his creations.

Video game can help one learn certain skills, depending on the game. I dare say I've learned more about human history from certain games than from books. And one can improve one's hand-eye coordination in some of them. There are benefits to many things if one takes the time to see.

Going online is considered a waste of time by a great many people, and yet we are here. We are learning from interaction with eachother, and we are learning from the great vault of knowledge here. There are benefits friends.

One must look deeper than dogma if one is to truly understand the meanings of Qur'an and Allah's (swt) word, I believe. Please brothers and sisters, Allah (swt) does not want us to shut our minds or hearts.

Assalaamu 'Alaykum brothers and sisters,

If music is haraam because it wastes our time, then anything not involving direct concentration on something tangibly beneficial could be time-wasting. I seriously doubt that one would argue that going on the internet is a waste of time, though I'm sure some Muslims in the Middle East would think so. It's a cultural or individual decision I believe to listen to music, play video games, or go online. All of them could conceivably (among many other things) be a waste of time, but a little thinking would reveal to most that there are great benefits that result in doing such things.

You have picked up one phrase aand made your comments. Have you seen the ayah, and its tafsir? If a person as renowned as Abdulla Bin Mas'ud says that the ayah relates to music, does that leave any space for speculation? It is definitely not a cultural thing as the tafsir will no doubt clear to you. Waste of time is only one reason, and there are absolutely no benefits from listening to music, other than the desire to listen to it, to satisfy our emotions, as you have yourself stated. Emotions and desires are to be controlled by a Muslim, and not vice versa.

Video game can help one learn certain skills, depending on the game. I dare say I've learned more about human history from certain games than from books. And one can improve one's hand-eye coordination in some of them. There are benefits to many things if one takes the time to see.

I can only pity the authorss of the books wou have read as their inability to be better than video games, deserves pity on them, and not appreciation of the person who made the video game.

Going online is considered a waste of time by a great many people, and yet we are here. We are learning from interaction with eachother, and we are learning from the great vault of knowledge here. There are benefits friends.

For several things, there is a good and bad side. Going on the internet to gain Islamic or other knowledge that benefits a person's outlook and performance of the deen is a huge advantage. Loitering and surfing pointlessly, or going to other useless sites is not. In fact, it is a waste of time, plus, it can open up garbage on one's screen.

One must look deeper than dogma if one is to truly understand the meanings of Qur'an and Allah's (swt) word, I believe. Please brothers and sisters, Allah (swt) does not want us to shut our minds or hearts.

Can you tell us why you should look deeper than a ayah, and its tafsir, and what is the basis for your ignoring the words of the sahaba, andd scholars. Do you know the Qur'an and the Sunnah (both in Arabic as translations may be incorrect) enough to do your own ijtihad? If not, are you not creating a fitnah by making such a statement?

Wassalam

Alsalaamu Alaykum

Hi sister Chebeya.

No one can confirm that music is haram untill there is proof found from a verse from the Quran or from a hadeeth, stating that it is haram. And no one has found such verses or ahadeeth.

I can't tell you it is haram, because saying something is haram in Islam, when you're not 100% sure is haram itself. I also can't tell you it's halal for the same reason.

But what I can do is give you some advice.

First of all, try avoid listening to the love/romance related music. Like, in weddings or special occassions or every now and then (like, once every two weeks or so) I guess maybe it's okay. But not too often.

Also, try not to listen to TOO much music in general (even if it doesn't include any love-relation thing) often, because it makes you drift away from your religion (Islam) and you'll find that your deen is getting weaker. Listen, but not too much so that you are overdoing it.

Instead, why don't you try listening to anasheed? Anasheed as in the kind with (www.)"http://enshad/htm/main.htm"]no music [/url]in it. Or if you're DYING for music, try listening to Islamic songs like anything by (www.)"http://samiyusuf"]Sami Yusuf[/url] or (www.)"http://786boyz/"]786Boyz[/url].

But all of these you can listen to them, no problemo (inshaAllah), but try not to listen to music TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH. Because, like I said, it makes you drift awaaaaaaay...from Islam, and makes you lessen from reading Quran. And believe me, the more you read Quran and enjoy it, the more you won't feel like listening to music as much as you used to.

Trust me, I've tried it.

Hope this doesn't sound too strict to you, and inshaAllah no matter what happens, you'll stay a good muslima, always close to Allah!

Allah Be With You :D

A/A

Alsalaamu Alaykum

Hi sister Chebeya.

No one can confirm that music is haram untill there is proof found from a verse from the Quran or from a hadeeth, stating that it is haram. And no one has found such verses or ahadeeth.

I can't tell you it is haram, because saying something is haram in Islam, when you're not 100% sure is haram itself. I also can't tell you it's halal for the same reason.

But what I can do is give you some advice.

First of all, try avoid listening to the love/romance related music. Like, in weddings or special occassions or every now and then (like, once every two weeks or so) I guess maybe it's okay. But not too often.

Also, try not to listen to TOO much music in general (even if it doesn't include any love-relation thing) often, because it makes you drift away from your religion (Islam) and you'll find that your deen is getting weaker. Listen, but not too much so that you are overdoing it.

Instead, why don't you try listening to anasheed? Anasheed as in the kind with (www.)"http://enshad/htm/main.htm"]no music [/url]in it. Or if you're DYING for music, try listening to Islamic songs like anything by (www.)"http://samiyusuf"]Sami Yusuf[/url] or (www.)"http://786boyz/"]786Boyz[/url].

But all of these you can listen to them, no problemo (inshaAllah), but try not to listen to music TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH. Because, like I said, it makes you drift awaaaaaaay...from Islam, and makes you lessen from reading Quran. And believe me, the more you read Quran and enjoy it, the more you won't feel like listening to music as much as you used to.

Trust me, I've tried it.

Hope this doesn't sound too strict to you, and inshaAllah no matter what happens, you'll stay a good muslima, always close to Allah!

Allah Be With You :D

A/A

Sis jazakumullah khair , kindly type in a color that is visible to all and not hard to read .

shukran in advance .