Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Esra

Drawing...taking Pic

:D

i know lots of topics are discussed with this issue but always ended up in some other way... i still dont know why is it haram to draw human faces and its ok to draw natural beauty for example... a lake or a tree... and why is it haram to take pictures???

because we would be asked to give soul to the pic we have drawen? how could we be able to give soul to anything when that power is only in hand of Allah Almighty?

why is it haram? :D

(may be this post could be moved to Islamic discussion.... didnt know where to post it...)

Photography (tasweer) means the taking of pictures of living, animate moving beings, like people, animals, birds, etc. The ruling is that it is forbidden on the basis of a number of reports, such as the following:

'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet :D said: "Those who will be most severely punished by Allaah :D on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/382).

Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet :D said: "Allaah :D , may He be exalted, says: 'Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation? Let him create a grain of wheat or a kernel of corn.'" (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see Fath al-Baari, 10/385).

'Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "Shall I not send you on the same mission as the Messenger of Allaah :D sent me? Do not leave any built-up tomb without levelling it, and do not leave any picture in any house without erasing it." (Reported by Muslim and al-Nisaa'i; this is the version narrated by al-Nisaa'i).

Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Prophet :D said: "Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and for every image that he made a soul will be created for him, which will be punished in the Fire." Ibn 'Abbaas said: "If you must do that, make pictures of trees and other inanimate objects." (Reported by Muslim, 3/1871)

The Prophet :D said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or pictures." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/380

The Muslim should not keep any pictures of animate beings in his house, because they will prevent the angels from entering.

Photographs which are essential are permitted - such as those required for identity documents, or for identifying or pursuing criminals [e.g. "wanted" posters and the like - translator's note], or for educational purposes which cannot be achieved otherwise. The principle in sharee'ah is that we should not exaggerate about what is necessary

===============>

Fe Aman Allah

Al faghera el Allah

Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet :D said: "Allaah :D , may He be exalted, says: 'Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation? Let him create a grain of wheat or a kernel of corn.'" (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see Fath al-Baari, 10/385).

this seems to talk about those people who have pictures whom they worship, like hindus... who worship the pictures of their gods.... but if one has no intention of competing Allah then? i mean, when i draw of course i have no such thought that ha! i m doing to creat something that Allah is creating... i can never do that, no one can do that... but my intention would be just drawing and paiting something because i like it think its beautiful... the same with taking pictures...

and when taking pictures is haram why is that its ok if one takes pic for passport and stuff? i mean pic is pic... whether u save it on pc or put it in ur passport. ok the use is different but the pic remains picture...

No sister, it is a matter of perception. Sister MuZLiMaH's ahadith do not say anywhere that it is restricted to those who make images to worship. It deals with all images.

Wassalam

Asalamu'alaikum,

Wow, this is tough for westerners to grasp, brothers and sisters. All written characters derive from primative pictographs, which from your definition would be considered pictures, eventhough that are symbolic and stylized.

This appears to allow artists who work in symbolic and stylized manners to continue their trade but those whose work is more representational to be haram. Is this true? I'm not sure I understand this...

Wa'alaikum'salam

Asalamu'alaikum,

Wow, this is tough for westerners to grasp, brothers and sisters. All written characters derive from primative pictographs, which from your definition would be considered pictures, eventhough that are symbolic and stylized.

This appears to allow artists who work in symbolic and stylized manners to continue their trade but those whose work is more representational to be haram. Is this true? I'm not sure I understand this...

Wa'alaikum'salam

Allah :D gives us Laws to follow. With time and paradigms, our thinkings are molded by our environment. But, we have to accept and obey the Laws, irrespective of our mental frames of mind. True, we need to understand why certain Laws are included, but, if we do not understand, we should always consider that it is because of our shortcomings that we cannot understand what Allah :D has dictated in His Wisdom and Knowledge.

Yes, there is a difference between symbolic and representational. If a picture or drawing looks real, it is definitely prohibited.

Wassalam

Allah :D gives us Laws to follow. With time and paradigms, our thinkings are molded by our environment. But, we have to accept and obey the Laws, irrespective of our mental frames of mind. True, we need to understand why certain Laws are included, but, if we do not understand, we should always consider that it is because of our shortcomings that we cannot understand what Allah :D has dictated in His Wisdom and Knowledge.

Yes, there is a difference between symbolic and representational. If a picture or drawing looks real, it is definitely prohibited.

Wassalam

Well said brother in Islam :D

Is it haram to take a photo of your self and uploading it in a website for instance? The nature of this pictures is quite innocent (just of the face). The intention of these photos? Well not sure, but alot of girls do have access to my homepage. According to the word of Allah, should i delete these photos?

Thanks in advance,

Ali.

Sister MuZLiMaH's first post contains the following:

Photographs which are essential are permitted - such as those required for identity documents, or for identifying or pursuing criminals [e.g. "wanted" posters and the like - translator's note], or for educational purposes which cannot be achieved otherwise.

I think that answers your question.

Wassalam

PS : Please do not deprive us of your salutations.

Sister MuZLiMaH's first post contains the following:

I think that answers your question.

Wassalam

PS : Please do not deprive us of your salutations.

Okay thanks.

I can understand why God would not like people to create images in the likeliness of humans because any human attempt to recreate another human would be seen as disrespect. However, I believe pictures (camera pictures) are different. This is because for one, they didn't exist at the time of the Quran. And two, unless you are a stylistic photographer of people, I don't think you will have a problem because photographs would be just a snap shot of life, not an attempt to recreate the human "fabric".

I can understand why God would not like people to create images in the likeliness of humans because any human attempt to recreate another human would be seen as disrespect. However, I believe pictures (camera pictures) are different. This is because for one, they didn't exist at the time of the Quran. And two, unless you are a stylistic photographer of people, I don't think you will have a problem because photographs would be just a snap shot of life, not an attempt to recreate the human "fabric".

Peace leechingrabbit!

In Islam, there is a process called ijtihad, which literally means "intellectual endeavor to seek the solutions of day to day matters". Scholars review all matters in the light of the two original sources of Law and give a ruling on any matter that is either not clearly available, or is new to mankind. These rulings are either made individually, or collectively, but come under regular scrutiny by other scholars who either accept it or give their opinions with evidence as to why they disagree. Issues are then resolved by concensus.

Thus, the scholars have opined that even photographs of live creatures are prohibited, except where necessary.

Peace out

Can i get the summary?.. Ive read all of them, but i dont really understand. Could someone ? Pls?

human pictures is haaram?

Cartoon that looks alike with human?

What about that smilies?

Can i get the summary?.. Ive read all of them, but i dont really understand. Could someone ? Pls?

human pictures is haaram?

Cartoon that looks alike with human?

What about that smilies?

First of all let me welcome you to the Forum. I pray that your stay here is fruitfull.

Brother, when you start a conversation, you must send salutation to all those who may listen or read your communication.

We are here to answer each other's question and to help in understanding the deen. Nobody is here to give you a summary. Plus, you will need to make efforts to learn

The ruling is very clear. I suggest you read the answer to the question in (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=365&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...se&QR=365&dgn=4[/url]

Wassalam

Assalamu-alaykum

the issue of taking pictures constantly makes me very uncomfortble so recently i spent time reading about it in more detail. I already felt its wrong somehow and i find that the link below is very clear in providing a good range of evidences against taking pictures. it was found on this website.

(www.)"http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=365&dgn=4"]63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...se&QR=365&dgn=4[/url]

Abu Talib said : I preserved the following words from Rasulullah saw : "Leave what you have doubt about for that you have no doubt about; for it is truth that brings peace of mind and it is falsehood that brings doubt". ( Ahmad, Tirmidhi, Nasa'i )

Assalamu-alaykum

the issue of taking pictures constantly makes me very uncomfortble so recently i spent time reading about it in more detail. I already felt its wrong somehow and i find that the link below is very clear in providing a good range of evidences against taking pictures. it was found on this website.

(www.)"http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=365&dgn=4"]63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...se&QR=365&dgn=4[/url]

Abu Talib said : I preserved the following words from Rasulullah saw : "Leave what you have doubt about for that you have no doubt about; for it is truth that brings peace of mind and it is falsehood that brings doubt". ( Ahmad, Tirmidhi, Nasa'i )

Very true. We must leave the grey areas as they could go against us on the Day of Judgement.

Wassalam

Wassalam

Photographs which are essential are permitted - such as those required for identity documents, or for identifying or pursuing criminals [e.g. "wanted" posters and the like - translator's note], or for educational purposes which cannot be achieved otherwise. The principle in sharee'ah is that we should not exaggerate about what is necessary

sala, i feel it is like explaining religion at our convenience. if photography was prohibited and harram it would be harram even to try to invent photography. because we would be doing harram. Do you mean to say that it is permitted to use a "harram invention" done by someone at our convenience? drawing pictures is a human instict. we are making lives of the people difficult by declaring almost everything harram.

sala, i feel it is like explaining religion at our convenience. if photography was prohibited and harram it would be harram even to try to invent photography. because we would be doing harram. Do you mean to say that it is permitted to use a "harram invention" done by someone at our convenience? drawing pictures is a human instict. we are making lives of the people difficult by declaring almost everything harram.

:D sister!

The decision to consider photography haram, with exceptions, was taken by a concerted ijtehad done by scholars of repute. It is not out of convenience.

There are other things that are haram. Their manufacture and distribution in any way by Muslims is haram. But they may be used, within certain conditions.. An example is any intoxicant. If a person is going to die from thirst or severe illness, and the only thing available is alcohol, or a medicine contiaing it, the consumption is allowed.

Hence, photography, in general, and for the purpose of making id are two separate issues. One is haram, and the other is allowed as an exception.

Wassalam

We cant take pics.with a camera??? :D

Because were not imitationing it were capturing it.

Assalamo Alaikum, sister!

Please do not deprive us of your salutations. :D

As I have mentioned in the previous post, photography has been considered haram after deliberations by prominent scholars. Their decisions are taken after much investigation and thought, as calling something haram or halal is a very serious matter.

Wassalam

:D for everyone replying to question...

but when i take pic, i dont intend anything like i m trying to compete Allah or tryimg to copy His creatures, of course not!

why could it be wrong? again... when we humans cant give soul to anything how could we be asked about it?

It is not a question of what your intentions are. The hadith are very clear that pictures of inanimate objects are not accepted. The scholars, after much discussion and thought have given the opinion that photographs also coem in the same category. Only people with complete and comprehensive knowledge of Qur'an and Sunnah can form a different opinion, based on their ijtehad. Ordinary people, with limited knowledge will only object on the basis of their own whims and fancies. This is not a healthy approach.

Wassalam

Assalamo Alaikum, sister!

Please do not deprive us of your salutations. :D

As I have mentioned in the previous post, photography has been considered haram after deliberations by prominent scholars. Their decisions are taken after much investigation and thought, as calling something haram or halal is a very serious matter.

Wassalam

Bro/Sis,

Please take a consideration that Syariah/Shareea is closed related to which mahzab of Islam or Imam that you follow....We moeslem realize that there are some differences among us to interprete Quran and also Al Hadist. So it will be wise if you said something is Halal or Haram, also give additional information about it, it is according to which Mahzab/Imam,etc.

Salam

Bro/Sis,

Please take a consideration that Syariah/Shareea is closed related to which mahzab of Islam or Imam that you follow....We moeslem realize that there are some differences among us to interprete Quran and also Al Hadist. So it will be wise if you said something is Halal or Haram, also give additional information about it, it is according to which Mahzab/Imam,etc.

Salam

I am sorry, but your statement is incorrect. Shariah is based on Qur'an and Sunnah. It is not based on Madhabs. The Imams were all sincere, knowledgeable and muttaqee Muslims who never said that their interpretation was correct, and the others wrong. Hence, we only stick to Qur'an and Sunnah, and quote from it wherever possible. I avoid quoting from an Imma, even where there is a statement to support the answer.

There is no major difference between the madhahib. The only difference is in the manner of arriving at the interpretation and the emphasis given to the daleel.

Wassalam

Assalamu-alaykum

Excellent my sweet sister in Islam :D :D for the hadeeth :D :D, I cant believe this debate is still going on, what ever happened to we heard & we obey ?

Qal Allahu :D in the Quran al kareem,

"It is not fitting for a believer, man or woman when a matterhas been decided by Allah and His apostle to have any option about their decision. If any one disobeys Allah and His apostle, he is indeed on a clearly wrong path." [Al-Ahzab: 36]

Fe Aman-Ellah

Al Faghera el Allah