Islamic Forum
MaKSofaHãßÓæ�É

Medical Check Up Before Marriage

Medical Check up  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you demand it?

• Yes, It's a must before marriage agreement .
    • No.
    • It depends on the person.
    • Undecided.

:D

no . personally i dont feel its necessary. once you know the person and you know what their past was like and i have good results from istikaraah then there is no need.

PropellerAds
As-salaamu 'alaikum

Would you require the same from someone who has always been a Muslim?

What if a revert had never had any sexual relations prior to their reversion, would you accept that from them or would you still require them to have a check up?

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

inshallah your asking me these questions for good reasons and not to try and find faults in me...

yes i would require the same for somone who was born into a muslim family but never practicised during their times of puberty.

if a revert never had any sexual relations before then obviously you know the answer so i dont think i need to answear that question!

inshallah your asking me these questions for good reasons and not to try and find faults in me...

yes i would require the same for somone who was born into a muslim family but never practicised during their times of puberty.

if a revert never had any sexual relations before then obviously you know the answer so i dont think i need to answear that question!

As-salaamu 'alaikum

I do not ask things to pick at peoples faults, I asked because I understood from what you had posted previously that you were just talking about reverts only and I do not not feel that is right, but alhamdulillaah, you did not mean that.

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

You guys are scaring me lol

I thought in the US imams insist on tests?

In the United States?!

No..Imaams here don't insist on it. Maybe some do, but none of the ones we've known.

So what happens if the tests are positive, be it for HIV or some other disease? Does that mean the affected person should never marry?

Guest amani

no i wouldnt nor would i like to be asked to take one.

How about checking for five fingers and five toes? I heard back in Bangladesh they would check the bride out, check her forearms and calves and count her fingers and toes...

How about checking for five fingers and five toes? I heard back in Bangladesh they would check the bride out, check her forearms and calves and count her fingers and toes...

from my understanding...i suppose it would depend upon the madhab one follows, as some allow only the hair, face,hands and feet to be shown and some may allow more...or less...Wallhu Alim.

But i think it would be upto the person to tell the other person if he/she has anything "wrong" .

no way how could i what would my parents think what would the girls parents think and what would the girl think of me :D :D :D

I voted yes, but i think it also depends on how much you trust the perosn, an how much of their past you know, some people refuse to tell you their past saying its not neccessary, an in that situation i think i would because then their past would b necessary for me, im not sure wut they big deal is, i kno alot of my friends that have gone for a medical check up, an it wasnt offending to them or anything

Allahu Allam

and count her fingers and toes...

How's that necessary?

As Salaam Alaikum,

I would demand that my fiancee get tested for STDS. It's not a "trust" issue, people can get diseases in so many ways, and reality is many diseases have no symtoms thereofre they themselves wouldn't know about it.

Allah gives us so much, esepcialyl in things that can protect ourselves. We need to use them.

salaam

As Salaam Alaikum,

I would demand that my fiancee get tested for STDS. It's not a "trust" issue, people can get diseases in so many ways, and reality is many diseases have no symtoms thereofre they themselves wouldn't know about it.

Allah gives us so much, esepcialyl in things that can protect ourselves. We need to use them.

salaam

couldnt have said it better myself sis

this really made me laugh :D :D :D

wut if she turns out a finger short then what :D

couldnt have said it better myself sis

wut if she turns out a finger short then what :D

haha.....

what if she has six fingers? :D

Interestingly ridiculous customs exist in indian sub continent.

:sl:

Id ask for one and wont mind being asked to get one done.

Whatever Allah wills really,I wouldn't mind getting a medical check up if I got asked.

Yes medical check before marriage so you don't get aids. I highly recommend it if you are living somewhere in Africa. Millions are dying from aids :sl:

Assalam Alaikum

undecided.. :sl:

I don't think tht I would ever ask her for the Medical check up!

I think I'd be too shy to ask.

But this is a decision that will affect the rest of your life and your kids insha'Allah, so that should override shyness.

I dunno though.

Edited by daconcor

No I wouldn't. If the Istikhara had a positive outcome for both of us then I would be confident in placing my complete trust in Allah and going ahead with what is meant to be.

Anything that happens as a result of the marriage is either a blessing from Allah, or a test to yield reward, so in my humble opinion a medical check-up would not be necessary.

After much thought , I have changed my mind. I don't think id ask for one to be carried out. Like sis Emel said, performing the istikhara salah should suffice.

After all so what if the potential spouse is clean from any STD's or whatnot? it still doesn't mean that one should go ahead with the marriage. Allah swt knows best.

As salaamu alaykum,

I will give my own opinion about requesting a Medical Check up before marriage based on my own experience.

Three years ago I was introduced to a very good brother. He executed the 5 pillars to his best ability. He believed in and feared Allah. Everyone in the community highly respected this brother and his family. After about 6months of communication between his family and mine, and conversations between him and me, we decided to marry. Now, I had asked him zillions of questions about why he wanted to marry, his motive and all, what he expects from the marriage, from me, what are his rights, mine, the children, what is his view on me working or going to school, and so many more. I even asked what he wants me to cook, how to dress, and even if he snores! However, I never asked about his medical past. Well, I asked if he had any conditions like diabetes, aids, or such. Anyway,...

So after we got married, it was all ok. Then you know, its like they say, or I say, during the times of fitnah, the true colors are exposed. When times became hard, it became to much for him to handle and he became to much for me to handle! It turned out he had a mental condition - bipolarism. I was horrified. During the time of courtship, I never noticed anything that will lead to bipolarism, or anyone else. He and his family made sure I or my family only met with him when he was in a sane period, normal. Now, many of you will think so what? Well, who would like to be married to a bipolar man? When he is insane, who will work and pay the bills? Should I risk the fact that my children may inherit this disease from their father? No, I wouldn't. Eventually, we divorced.

So the point here is, yes, request a medical check up and for his/her medical records as well. You may never know…the person may suffer from diabetes or even worse bipolarism. We make the Istikhara for what its words say: Oh Allah! I seek Your guidance ......

Istikhara is simply a dua in which we ask Allah to guide us and make us content with the outcome, good or bad. That's it. Just because you make the Istikhara doesn't mean the marriage will be happily ever after. Marriage is a serious issue and those of us seeking marriage should be serious about it before and after. A person can pray 5x a day and all, but you never know what lingers inside their heart. We need to make Istikhara and investigate for ourselves. We are in a century in which you can't even trust your own brethren. SubhanAllah.

I voted for "it depends on the person." :sl: