Islamic Forum
Teakster

Inter-racial Marriages?!

Would you marry someone from another race?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Would you marry someone from another race?

• Yes - There's nothing wrong with it!
    • No Way!
    • Not Sure?!

just as a side question: say a desi guy marries an arab sister: both practising muslims alhamdulliah: what language would you teach your kids? English?.. Arabic?.. Urdu?.. Hindi? What kind of foods will they eat? Who will they be? What will be their identity? == Muslim is their identity? What does that mean brother i ask you its open to all.

Asalaamo aleykum,

I am Dutch married to a Pakistani man and we have three children. We speak Dutch and Urdu at home and eat Pakistani food mostly. But when I want to, I make Dutch too and even Italian :D . They have two identities and nationalities; Dutch and Pakistani...and above all they are Muslim.

Raising your children bilingual is no problem, all my 4 brothers (all from interracial marriage ) have 2 identities/nationalities ; German and South African...and were even raised speaking 5 (!!!) languages ( English, African, German, Dutch and Zulu ) and they all speak them fluent. No problems (w00t)

PropellerAds

Assalam Walaykum

I personally would rather marry an African woman, but it probably would never happen because of my mom. She wants me to marry someone she chooses. Someone she can talk to about Bengali things with. She would cry and cry and screech that none of the other Bengali will invite her to anymore parties. My father would keep calling me donkey and stupid, and he will bring up his Sociology PHD and say, "I have done research and I know interracial marriages don't work."

Bah, even there is a Bengali woman I like, my parents would probably pick someone the was totally opposite.

I am probably going to die a virgin :P :D :D :P

so dont tell me they dont last.

cool! because i can list......... 23 which have failed in 3 years or lesser!

Um....you wouldn't have anything to do with that would you? You know like coughing "fail", "will never work" while they were signing the nikkah or something? hm?

^^ no ofcourse not! how horrible of you!!!!

the most recent one was last year my buddy who is iraqi descent (canadian born) and his bride was pakistani (also canadian born).. they divorced earlier this year saying it was not what they thought before marriage!!!!

LOL! (w00t) ...yes horrible of me to say it...but ya gotta admit it it was funny. :D

heheheh

:D

:P there

well its true that religion and personality is way above than culture !! even i have a n example in my own family! my cousin (born pakistani but has been staying in USA for more than 22 years (since a very early age) married an american revert ! :D they are very happy ,they even have a kid! my aunt was telling me that teh girl has picked up a lot of things from teh pakistani culture ie teh dishes,language blah blah!! and well has gotten pretty easily mixed up with all of em!! ofcourse when two people meet from having different backgrounds ,the fusion is bound to be extraordinary or atleast i think so!!!

and a very funny example is of this guys sister!!ie my other cousin who has been staying in USA since she was 5 i think.her husband is also pakistani and so in my cousin naturally! her husband (who feels very strongly about culture ! a very homely kind of a guy) has moved to USA just recently and well he isnt totally satisfied with the relationship.i mean :D they are happy but he really does feel that my cousin is not aware much of the language ,some cultural stuff blah blah!! but :P they are happy but the point is he missed the lack ofunderstanding for cultural values in my cousin!! so thereyou go ! even having same background but different breeding places (didnt know what else to say) can have problems!!

but i agree with bro doomhammer that in places where family is not very supportive ,there are more chances of problems .you know .... but then again i am not saying that one shouldnt go for mixed marraiges .but teh success depends most of all on Allah and then upon their mutual understanding and personalities .but in certain regions the surrounding people around can create one heck of problems !! you know the environment around can really influence unfortunately! but if teh partners are willing to survive teh relationship and Allah is willing then i guess people cant influence that much.but umm its a kind of risky but then again every marraige is risky!! either way i am ok with it but i do feel that it can be risky in the areas where culture is given utmost importance liek in the case of teh second example! but in the cases where culture does not matter ....its ok then.

:w:

Edited by RAAAZ

again i'm gona repeat myself for the umpteenth time..

i'm not prejudiced on this. if you do it, fine i will support you. i will not abandon my friends etc based on who they choose to marry.

i'm all for this thing but i'm very skeptical about how it will work in life because i've seen soo many examples of it failing and more over i dont want the one to be working out the work out :D i always fight the system: thats just me but in this occasion i will not because i have seen what happens in the end and i dont want that to happen to me!!

for your information i voted not sure.

Lol poor didumbs bengali_boxer !

Anyhow, in my opinion they can work v well (mixed marriages) b/c u can often forgive the other person's faults for lack of understanding the culture and it makes the kids very interesting looking! And it's soo fantastic when cultures mix becaus eur not just mixing skin colour but also the heritage/food/drinks/language etc..it's such a celebration of humanity! But defnitely both partners need to b v understanding of each other's lack of knowldge and b prepared to laugh the cringe expereinces off :D They'll make for lovely convo afterwards!

And wow Saffia...even Zulu!!! :P

:P

again i'm gona repeat myself for the umpteenth time..

i'm not prejudiced on this. if you do it, fine i will support you. i will not abandon my friends etc based on who they choose to marry.

i'm all for this thing but i'm very skeptical about how it will work in life because i've seen soo many examples of it failing and more over i dont want the one to be working out the work out :D i always fight the system: thats just me but in this occasion i will not because i have seen what happens in the end and i dont want that to happen to me!!

for your information i voted not sure.

hahahah lolz!! i understand what you have been trying to say totally from the very begiining!! and if you clarified that upon my post then you didnt need to :D and if teh clarification was in general for everybody then its ok

btw it could be really fun if it works out :P

^ I wasn't directly responding to your reply but sure i'll take it as long we are on the same page.

reason i voted not sure is because simply put i'm not sure (w00t) lol.. i may be open to inter marriage thingys but maybe not !

yeah i guess you'll know for sure when you actually meet teh person!! ofcourse you cant know before that :D

i could list 23 or more who married people of the same race and failed in 3 years or less.......

what point does that prove?

humans are humans, ure etiher compatible or not.....it doesnt necessarily have anything with race or culture, its just ure not compatible.

^ did you read thru the 4-5 pages before jumping in with your 2 cents ?

haahahah i don think u know what u talking about :D

^ did you read thru the 4-5 pages before jumping in with your 2 cents ?

haahahah i don think u know what u talking about

this may suprise you, but generally i dont jump in anywhere before i read their posts, and i read yours. you basis of argument doesnt follow through, just because u happen to know couples of an inter racial marriage that didnt work out doesnt mean much, because couples of the same background also divorce, and i could count a lot of couples who married people who arent of their culture and have stayed together for a long period of time.....i know a lot of english converts married to muslim brothers, many have been married for 20 years +, i know u say u're not against them, because u shouldnt be, i dont recall in the quran anything about keeping your own race pure.....

anyways.....thats it...i hope u find a good pious wife whatever backghround or race she may be :D

Guest amani
sad.. but whatever, i've had this discussion with other members here too.. most people seem to have lost their identity..

why sad?

we as an ummah need to mix more in my belief!

anyway .what would those reverts do if all wanted to marry in their own culture and they couldnt find anyone?

Salam,

At the end of the day if the couple have love for each other and If Allah is happy with them nothing in this World will change anyhting for any one. What ever is to happen will happen. Allah has already planned it for you. All we can do is make dua that it is good and not something that will hurt us. As we wait many years searching for the "ONE" that we can spend life and Akira with. If that "ONE" is the wrong one then it is of course our luck. We can not balme any one for it. It is what was planned for us.

I am for mix marriages. I feel that if the parents are unsupportive about it then there is nothing we can do. WE have to make our selves happy. Then think about everyone else, one can not sacrifice their happiness for their family! I know that if family are not happy about it then at least they should support you. Once married and if family still not happy and have differences I think those differences bring the couple more closer together as they tend to work more co-operatively.

All marriages break not only mix marriages. You have to forgive and forget and carry on with life.

Asalamu Alaikum,

I don't think there's anything wrong with inter-racial marriages.......infact im all for it... :D

As long, as the person has Taqwa, and you love each other....thats all that matters. There's no room for racism in Islam, its such a shame many people forget that. :D

Sad.. but whatever, i've had this discussion with other members here too.. most people seem to have lost their identity..

That's the comment that had me thinking that DH was encouraging to racisme. It's like DH said; "it ain't enough to be muslim."

InshAllah the stupid cultural stuff will go down and Islam will prevail.

Poor bengali boxer, you know BB I actually know a sister on this forum who's half bengali, half african/somalie :D , maybe you could find a girl like her so that both you and your parents will be happy and get what they want.

lol (w00t)

InshAllah the stupid cultural stuff will go down
I've already stated my stand on this matter 2 times now. Culture is not stupid! I think theres something you dont understand or what i dont know.

I don't think there's anything wrong with inter-racial marriages; infact im all for it.
cool.. thats what i think too.

As long, as the person has Taqwa, and you love each other..thats all that matters

See thats where you are horribly wrong. I dont wish to repeat myself again.. but in a nutshell, unfortunately no thats not all that matters.

Guest Weapon R

whats this doomhammers problem..? i think inter racial marriages work more better then the ones of same culture..

whats this doomhammers problem..? i think inter racial marriages work more better then the ones of same culture..

doomhammer doesn't have a problem Weapon_R. simply making a case for the inter marriage thing.

lol you think wrong buddy! its not as simple as religion bang boom done! its more to it than that!

... religion is the only thing- Allah isn't going to ask you what culture you follow/was born into on the Day of Judgement and judge you according to that rather He will judge you according to your belief. If culture isn't important in the Hereafter, then why has it become an issue here, in this Dunya? :D

Edited by strider

Find me a wife that's loyal and a Good Muslim, and I will be happy.

Looks a Plus (w00t) (ins'Allah) lol, but they die out. As for the different culture thing, I can work it out, I'm not exactly thrilled about being a bengali, Much happier with the title, Muslim.