Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ummammaar

Utah

:sl:

Is there anyone here from Utah?

How are the state laws there, in comparison to federal laws?

Are there muslims there? How are they?

How are the polygynists? Are there really like a lot? Are most of them mormons or are there muslim ones too? What about people who are neither and who don't practice it...do they support such a life style, oppose it, or are they neutral about it?

What city were you in? Salt Lake City? Do all these things vary from city over there?

Is it a pretty state?

How is the temperature there?

:sl: / Thank you in advance.

PropellerAds

Dude I've been to salt lake city, utah many times for work reasons. I'll tell you the place is dead compared to so cal! Reasons:

1) Only masjid I know of in SLC (salt lake city) is called khadijah masjid.. its a brand new big masjid very beautiful but theres only a handful of worshippers filling it and its in a very bad neighborhood.. I was actually scared driving thru the place following my gps directions.. i thought something was wrong until i came around this curve in the road and wow it was there so beautiful like a jewel in the desert sand!

2) There are no desis.. there are ~25000 muslims in the whole state- vast majority are bosnians.

3) In 2 weeks i saw only 3 asian people! aka no diversity.

4) Mormons run the state.

5) There are no traffic jams like LA type.. the freeways are only 2-3 lanes wide and people actually watch the speed limit :sl:.. unlike in LA.. the airport is funny.. and most of the people are married and white.

6) Not much desi type restaurants (if any).

7) Temps are a LOT colder for those coming from so cal region.. gets very cold in winter.. it snows.. summer is okay but tons of mosquitoes man!!

8) The whole SLC region is like a valley.. I mean think of a bowl.. you are surrounded by mountains on all 4 sides.. and ur in a valley. It does get dry.

Yup..!! I'm never going back LOL!!!

Mormons don't do polygamy anymore, so there are hardly any of them, except for that freaky-deaky cult in the far north (or south) of the state that got busted by the federales like half a year ago.

Thats strange that you didn't see any Desis. :sl: There are a lot of Desis there. Most are Punjabi's and Pathans. If you're at Masjid Khadeejah on Friday, the Masjid is full, and the diversity is much more obvious. There are lot of Bosnians and some Somalis as well, but the Desis are present. lol. The main people who were in charge of that Masjid were Desis...although now the board is mixed. The Somalis generally go to their own Masjid though, and for the daily salaah people generally come all the out to the main masjid but just go to their lil jamaat houses..

Are there muslims there? How are they?

They are a close knit society. But nobody's perfect, and they aren't either. You'll hear a lot of positive talk, but there are negatives. But hey, no matter where you are, you gotta fight your nafs and shaytan.

How are the polygynists? Are there really like a lot? Are most of them mormons or are there muslim ones too? What about people who are neither and who don't practice it...do they support such a life style, oppose it, or are they neutral about it?

No idea... I didn't socialize with the Mormons as such. The Muslims that I know of weren't practicing polygamy.

What city were you in? Salt Lake City? Do all these things vary from city over there?

Yeah, I was in Salt Lake City for 1 1/2 weeks. I don't think too much varies through the cities. If you want to be in the big city though, Salt Lake City would pretty much be it. The rest of the cities outward are farmland type, with majority Mormons and little Muslim communities...

Is it a pretty state?

Very, very, beautiful. Salt Lake City itself is gorgeous. The mountains are just amazing, and having been there in the winter made it look a lot like it was America's own Swiss Alps...! I took some pictures...lol.

How is the temperature there?

It was about 14 F in the winter at night and around 30 F in the day...lol. During the summer they say it gets around the 80s.

Comparable to the rest of the US, although the drinking laws are a bit stricter.

Polygyny is illegal in Utah and the LDS (Latter Day Saints or Mormon) church does not condone it in the USA where it is illegal.

The people there are some of the nicest people I have ever met. It has always been my experience that Mormons are among the friendliest people you can find anywhere, and among the cleanest living also.

Hi Livius,

I know it is illegal, but I know that people still practice it. I just saw two programs on it recently that said that in America an estimated 30,000-50,000 people are living in that lifestyle, that's why I am inquiring about the practice.

So basically many of the females are legally considered single. Sorry perhaps, my question was not worded clearly. I mean how is it going for them? Are there areas where most or all the families are polygynous? Do they have a lot of support or opposition of it? What, really?

Thanks.

Edited by ummammaar

I don't think Muslims will know if they are practicing it, because if they are, then they are in violation of the US law and also will be disowned by the LDS church. Therefore what they do will be undercover and not made too public. Yes, some cases may get out but not all so it's hard to know the stats. :sl:

That's true Livius, about them being friendly. It was weiiirdd going from Cali, to a place where people make eye contact and greet you and stuff. Was like whoa...! :no:

I am no expert, but from what I know from my Mormon friends that live in Utah...

Polygamy is looked down upon by the majority of Mormons. Those that practice it are members of sects, not the main church which is the LDS church. Many of the cases of polygamy that do exist in Utah have been linked to physical abuse, sexual abuse and shady financial dealings and are strongly condemned by the LDS church.

I have never, to my knowledge, met any polygamists when I have gone to visit and all the Mormons I know (which are a lot, they have large families) are very happy with their one spouse.

I am sure there are communities that practice polygamy, but they usually tend to keep to themselves and are not very open to outsiders.

I found this link. I can't vouch for its accuracy but it seems to correlate with other sources that I have read about this topic.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetsignaturebookslibrary(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/essays/mormonpolygamy.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetsignaturebookslibrary(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/essay...monpolygamy.htm[/url]