Islamic Forum
strider

Islam in America

Assalmu Alakum,

Well, I am an American, born and raised here so you have no RIGHT to tell me to leave America. Also, America is an FREE country you can believe in whatever you want so I want to be muslim I can and I believe that I should have a right to pry at School.

I am sorry that I sound mean, but that was rude to say.

Peace!

PropellerAds
Salam everyone,

Last year, I was considering leaving for the U.S. to study Medicine. I applied to universities and was in the final process of my applications when I decided against it. I was cheifly put off when I heard from many people living there that there's still discrimination against Muslims, especially women wearing the hijab. I suppose reading what some fellow brothers and sisters (whiterosey, for example) mentioned in this thread has made me gladder still that I never did go after all. Needless to say, I'm also glad to know there are many reverts from America (and the West, in general). That's amazing, alhamdulilah.

May Allah continue to guide each of us to that which pleases Him.

Peace.

It's nothing like Saudi Arabia where women are forced to cover up whether they are Muslim or not. I remember that lawsuit fioled by a US Army woman who was tired of having to fully cover up every place she went. but that didn't matter. The sensitivity of the people came first and the army forced her to do this. But the sensitivities of non Muslims in America is basically ignored by Muslims.

It's nothing like Saudi Arabia where women are forced to cover up whether they are Muslim or not. I remember that lawsuit fioled by a US Army woman who was tired of having to fully cover up every place she went. but that didn't matter. The sensitivity of the people came first and the army forced her to do this. But the sensitivities of non Muslims in America is basically ignored by Muslims.

Well see it really depends on where exactly you live in the U.S. For example, Chicago has a great big Muslim population as well as high diversity with people from most all beliefs and ethnicities. Devon Street is real fun to walk down and some streets near it, cause you will see Hindus, Muslims, Jews who are all very orthodox in dress walking by each other. It is quite peaceful praise God and is for the most part not a discriminatory place for beliefs. I guess the main discrimiation there is concerning how much money one has. :sl: But about diversity in beliefs it is a good place I think.

Now, if you go to where I live, which is in the country not anywhere near Chicago, you will find that most people will stare out of curiousity at any woman in a hijab (especially if she's white.) You will find most people to be sad for your "oppressed" state (yeah I know already the reason it's in parenthesis is because it really depends on the eye of the beholder.) Only a few would be rude, but those people are ones who would be rude to pretty much anybody different than them, and they merely need prayer and forgiveness. So, I don't think it's as bad as all that; that's my opinion however and no I've never worn a hijab (except in play and in dramas where I was a Biblical person, like Ruth.) so I really can't tell from experience. Can anyone share their experience who has worn a hijab in the U.S.? Thanks. Peace and God bless.

It's nothing like Saudi Arabia where women are forced to cover up whether they are Muslim or not.
Er.. Saudi Arabia is an Islamic country and as such all those who are in the country's soil should obey the laws.

Anyhoo the place i'm at, there are lots of muslims here and its generally nice.. i'm quite happy :sl:.

:sl: funny incident occured during easter: there was a guy outside the masjid gates who was "taped" to a big 6 foot wooden cross and he had mock blood all over him.. and he was dressed as Isa PBUH (jesus).. we're still not sure why he did that but he didnt cause any harm and mostly people just laughed at him.

Edited by Hasib

salaam alaikum,

I'm on the same page with you. As an American with many non-muslim friends, it's hard to suggest these ideas without seting off warnings in their heads. They're afraid of Islam out of their lack of knowledge and because of media mis-info.

I would like to talk more but I have a talent for procrastination, I am neglecting my studies so hopefully we can chat later.

wassalaam

AS

ps-im curious as to what state you're in. Im currently in wisconsin, may Allah help me :sl:

I love america and my non-muslim frinds

Many people confusion separation of Church and State in the United States. That phrase is simply meant to mean that the government will not support one religion over another. It in no way is supposed to inhibit in any way the free practice of any religion.

When it comes to prayer in school the issue is not with students praying, but with employees of the school (and therefore government employees) leading the prayer. There is no prohibition I am aware of that does not allow students to pray if they want. In fact I believe that schools must allow the students to do what they have to in order to follow their religion. That means that Jewish students may take off for Jewish holidays and wear yamulkas, Christian students can say grace before eating and Muslim students may pray when they are obligated to.

:sl:

Out of curiousity, what's the reason that the discussion here did not take place in this thread:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=230"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=230[/url]

(the original Islam in America thread)? In other words, why was another thread made with the same title? I'm lost. As far as I recall, we're supposed to be continuing within each country's respective thread, rather than making new ones.

Perhaps, the rules have been flexed. (I'll have to quadruple check that.) Or perhaps, the mods did not get a chance to look at this/merge it to the actual thread.

Hello, everyone! I live in the Tampa Bay area. Most of the Muslims here are either extremists, or barley Muslims at all. And not many people here are knowledgeable in the Quran.

However, there is a great sense of community here, and the Muslims get a long well with the non-muslims (even the extremists). So, i'm very happy being here. :sl:

They are extremists are they? You don't even pray your 5 OBLIGATORY daily prayers yet your judging others. I wonder how knowledgeable you yourself are in Quran!

BTW: If you women in your family come to Devon, make sure you have a male go with them. The fobs here who act ghetto will go running after any female in a big group. (YA RLY)

I live in Georgia, a deep southern state.The city i'm in hardly has any muslims.

I wear Hijab (Alhumdulilah) imagine an American place with no muslims and a girl wearing hijab, what do you really think the kind of reaction she is going to get?

When I wasn't that Islamic I hardly cared about anything, its after I became more religious that I noticed how hard it is to practice Islam in this area (but its all good, I take it as a test from Allah (SWT).

America is a great place, and I'm sure areas that have a lot of muslims are pretty good! But the area I live in, I just feel like an outsider!

For now I'm just ready to move out of this area to probably an area with a muslim community. Insha' Allah!

After I graduate I'd probably move back to Pakistan. Insha' Allah. Love it there.

Edited by Hira (Devout)

Salamz

For those that think Muslims get profiled in U.S.A here are some facts.

Yes prejudice exist in US just like it exists anywhere else... some places more then the other, but that's because prejudice people exist everywhere.

So it depends if u live in nYc or redneckville but to the degree where one musn't even consider living here for better education or employement etc

So yea u have your occasional incidents like a beaner being interrogated for legal documents, Akhmed getting red flagged at the airport or a punjab Sikh getting jumped mistaken as taliban but nothing harsh. :D

Still in general , A muslim person in America is better off then then an American person in certain muslim nations.

Kinda surprised to hear that a non muslim women must wear Hijab in SA because Law sould be sensative to cultures. In NYC alternate side parking rules are suspended on on Eid, and around crwoded Masjids to accomadate Moque goers.. Even in Jails u have an option to get halal food.

Not that I ever been there just heard about it :sl:

If tollerence was an issue then why wouldn't hijabiz be banned by law for safety's sake. What's hijab got to do with safety you ask? :D ...Have you even walked your way home by yourslef, after watching Chinese Martial Arts film and suddenly see two tall hijabiz appear out of the corner?

decptively they can easily be mistaken as Ninjas and get you calling for help fanatically. :no:

Not that it happened to me just hypothetically speaking :sl:

So yea Overall America is good place for all kinds of people :j:

Peace

Edited by llogical

Moving to New York soon :sl:, can't wait to get out of Georgia or lets just say THE SOUTH!

Miss Hira you ought to consider coming to the west coast esp southern california.. theres lots of muslims here and its not bad at all :sl: I quite like it :no:!!!

BTW: If you women in your family come to Devon, make sure you have a male go with them. The fobs here who act ghetto will go running after any female in a big group. (YA RLY)

LOL chicago is full of hyderabadis man haha haha hahahaha!!!!!!

Miss Hira you ought to consider coming to the west coast esp southern california.. theres lots of muslims here and its not bad at all :no: I quite like it :D!!!

Hmmm, I might come check it out :j:. I've heard a lot about southern California and how it has a lot of Muslims. For now I can't, because I have to move where ever my parents move, so I have no choice.

I'm moving to Michigan soon because I'm planning on attending the Islamic American University :D, and I've heard there are tons of Muslims up there. Whatever I say, whatever it takes to get out of Georgia, especially the city I am in. ARGH!

Edited by Hira (Devout)

Well :sl: its all a learning expereince for us. I've lived in many cities when I was growing up too- Toronto, Fort. Lauderdale, Chicago and now the OC!!

What city are you in by the way? Are you near Savannah, GA?

Well :no: its all a learning expereince for us. I've lived in many cities when I was growing up too- Toronto, Fort. Lauderdale, Chicago and now the OC!!

What city are you in by the way? Are you near Savannah, GA?

Yeah, I have moved from state to state, from NY to NJ to Delaware back to NY and my final settlement Georgia...and now :j: we'll move out of here.

Savannah is way far from where I live. I live in Conyers city, it's near Atlanta. Why? Do you have someone living down in Savannah? I heard its a beautiful city.

Assalamu alaikum, Do I somehow know you Hira, hehehe.......... I don't know about Hasib, but I do have a bunch of cousins and their children there in Atlanta, One in Athens, and 2 somewhere else, I don't know the name of the town, but it is a Suburb of Atlanta.

Actually, one of my son got married in the LAWRENCE VILLE MASJID in 2004.

Yup, I have quite a large close family and friends living there, maybe you are one of them, who knows.

Salaams and duaas.

Assalamu alaikum, Do I somehow know you Hira, hehehe.......... I don't know about Hasib, but I do have a bunch of cousins and their children there in Atlanta, One in Athens, and 2 somewhere else, I don't know the name of the town, but it is a Suburb of Atlanta.

Actually, one of my son got married in the LAWRENCE VILLE MASJID in 2004.

Yup, I have quite a large close family and friends living there, maybe you are one of them, who knows.

Salaams and duaas.

Wow :no:, ehehe I'm sure we're related umAhmad sis.!

Why don't you come down here and visit me? It'll be fun, I'd love to meet you :sl:.

I think I've been to LAWRENCE VILLE Masjid...

Atlanta is in Fulton County, does any one of them live there?

Savannah is way far from where I live. I live in Conyers city, it's near Atlanta. Why? Do you have someone living down in Savannah?

Wow I just checked google maps.. yah you are living near Atlanta!! Its quite far from Savannah.

Well I was wondering if you know anything about the muslims and Islamic atmosphere in Savannah, GA? cause I might move there.. its work related. I am not bothered by anything as much as how the local muslim atmosphere is and if its non existant then I'm not going and will let my work people know.

Wow I just checked google maps.. yah you are living near Atlanta!! Its quite far from Savannah.

Well I was wondering if you know anything about the muslims and Islamic atmosphere in Savannah, GA? cause I might move there.. its work related. I am not bothered by anything as much as how the local muslim atmosphere is and if its non existant then I'm not going and will let my work people know.

Yeap its pretty far...

I don't think there are many or hardly any Muslims down in Savannah, but I heard there are plenty of Muslims in Augusta.

Actually Georgia in particular doesn't have a lot of Muslims... there are very few, that's why I desperately want to move out of here.

Edited by Hira (Devout)

Salamz

This incident is ironic and inspirational at the same time...and happened in my hood :no:

While Others just stood and watched A Muslim Guy helps the Jews being attacked on New York subway

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcnn(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2007/US/12/12/subway.attack/index.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcnn(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2007/US/12/12/subway.attack/index.html[/url]

Humanity and tollerence >institutional hate or malice :sl:

With some of this and that ....this can be you Yasnov :sl:

Peace

Edited by llogical