Islamic Forum
strider

Islam in America

wasalaam

I live just outside of DC (like 10-15 miles) in Maryland. I've been muslim for about 2 and a half years.

Its not the kufar that are the problem, frankly. My dealings with them are relegated to work only. Its the muslims that frustrate me to no end. I have to teach myself everything, I am not really included ever in the community and marriage is out of the question simply because I'm (*shock and horror*) a white convert.

I don't know if theres anywhere in america where the community isn't like this and I'm hesitant to up and go overseas where I don't speak the language, don't know if I'll be able to get a job with my degree, be accepted, etc etc

Its frustrating and lonely.

PropellerAds
wasalaam

I live just outside of DC (like 10-15 miles) in Maryland. I've been muslim for about 2 and a half years.

Its not the kufar that are the problem, frankly. My dealings with them are relegated to work only. Its the muslims that frustrate me to no end. I have to teach myself everything, I am not really included ever in the community and marriage is out of the question simply because I'm (*shock and horror*) a white convert.

I don't know if theres anywhere in america where the community isn't like this and I'm hesitant to up and go overseas where I don't speak the language, don't know if I'll be able to get a job with my degree, be accepted, etc etc

I completely understand brother, that's a difficult situation to be in. In my experience i've found the converts in Europe, and also the non-converts, to be much more accepting and eager to teach and educate - especially for a white convert. I was feeling much the same things you're feeling now which was part of the reason I decided to leave America in search of something better. Do you speak any other languages? And I'm pretty sure that whatever your degree is in you could find some work wherever you went - you would be surprised at how willing the Muslim community is (at least here) to help other brothers out with whatever they can. It's also amazing how much perspective one gains once outside of the same rut - even if just for a short trip, I definitely encourage a visit to another country to see what it's like. Let me know if I can be of any help. Inshallah Allah gives you the strength needed and may we all be reminded of the temporary nature of this life.

I speak a little bit of spanish. I am taking arabic lessons but can't even hold a simple conversation in the language yet.

I have had some brothers recommend London, others north africa (morocco, algeria, egypt) but I am very uneasy about it. I wanted to study at Univ Madinah (and am applying) but do not think I will be accepted due to my age being older than the cutoff of 25 (I'm 26).

How easy is it to just up and leave? What are generally the restrictions living in another country? I have a comp sci degree, would I be able to find a job with it anywhere do you think?

Don't despair brother, learning Arabic takes a considerable amount of time and is much easier if you are living in a country where the language is spoken all around you. It's definitely much harder to learn a different language when you can just fall back on your native language after classes are over. I have also heard many brothers recommend London as well, and it would certainly make the language problem that much easier. I think that would be the easiest for you, especially if you were thinking of just taking a trip to see what it was like and how it compared with "home." I've personally been to Morocco and Tunisia and liked both of the countries immensely. Morocco seemed a little more open to western converts and was also filled with many tourists from both America and Western Europe, making it not seem as isolated as Tunisia can sometimes feel. Inshallah you get accepted to Univ Madhina, I've heard good things about that program.

As for upping and leaving, it's pretty simple if you make up your mind that's what you want/need to do. Sometimes arriving at the conclusion takes some time, along with the grace of Allah to guide you to that point, but the actual leaving is pretty easy. As an American you won't need a Visa to visit a lot of different countries, but you should check ahead of time. If you google the country you'd like to go to, usually they have a page that details what you will need to go there. As for your degree, it would seem to me that you'd be able to find a computer job in any country, as everyone depends on those skills these days. It may be easier to search for a job once in the country you'd like to visit, but wouldn't hurt to take a look ahead of time.

What is it like living in DC (well, Maryland)? How does it feel now with Obama instead of Bush? Do the brothers there think things may be better?

BarakAllahfeek.

It is ok. I come from a very rural part of West Virginia so its like night and day compared to what I'm used to.

Its politics as usual. I think Obama is worse actually. There is a huge Joseph Stalin-like cult of personality surrounding him. You see pictures of him everywhere on the streets, in the metro, lots of people wearing Obama hats, shirts, etc still. He let his allegiance be know when he sided with AIPAC and took the terrorist Rahm Emmanual as his chief of staff.

I don't know what to think. The general population will listen to the message of Islam but it seems like the muslims are too caught up in cars, clothes, and culture to actually give dawah. It angers me because I have left everything they are running to as quick as they can. There are pockets of good brothers but they are a minority.

The hadith where the Prophet (saw) says the muslims will be like scum on the ocean is especially applicable here in the US.

With regards to my degree: I have heard that if you don't have at least a masters degree, good luck trying to get a job overseas. I am utterly confused as to what to do. Where will the muslims accept me. The mujahiroon didn't just peace out willy-nilly; the ansar already had a contract that they would provide them with welfare, housing, spouses, etc. Who is going to do that for me? It is foolish for me to just up and leave.

I really just want to find a good wife then go get my studies done. But, once again, I'm a white convert so marriage is out of the question.

Assalamu alaikum, I see that we are moving away from the Topic of the thread "Islam In America", please brothers discuss your personal issues via PM. and not in the thread.

As for Islam in America, there are Muslims here who are giving Dawah Alhamdulillah and Allah Subhanahu Wa Taala is changing the hearts of the Americans and MashaAllah conversion to Islam in USA and Canada is on the increase, Masjids are increasing, Awareness of Islam is increasing, Modesty amongst Muslims is increasing etc.....

When I cam here to Montreal in 1976 there were only 2 Masjids now there are more than 60 Masjids and Mussallahs that are well known and there could be more.

Alhamdulillah, as Muslims living here in North America not all of us have the means to move to other countries, plus where would we go, which county will take us as permenant residents, so we have to live here where Allah has destined us to live and keep reminding ourself that as Muslims living in Non Muslim lands, that Allah Subhanahu Wa Taala has given us the big responsibility of giving Dawaah to the people around us and we must avail this opportunity and help ourselves as well as those who are in need of Guidance.

Assalamu Alaikum.

Assalamu alaikum, I see that we are moving away from the Topic of the thread "Islam In America", please brothers discuss your personal issues via PM. and not in the thread.

As for Islam in America, there are Muslims here who are giving Dawah Alhamdulillah and Allah Subhanahu Wa Taala is changing the hearts of the Americans and MashaAllah conversion to Islam in USA and Canada is on the increase, Masjids are increasing, Awareness of Islam is increasing, Modesty amongst Muslims is increasing etc.....

When I cam here to Montreal in 1976 there were only 2 Masjids now there are more than 60 Masjids and Mussallahs that are well known and there could be more.

Alhamdulillah, as Muslims living here in North America not all of us have the means to move to other countries, plus where would we go, which county will take us as permenant residents, so we have to live here where Allah has destined us to live and keep reminding ourself that as Muslims living in Non Muslim lands, that Allah Subhanahu Wa Taala has given us the big responsibility of giving Dawaah to the people around us and we must avail this opportunity and help ourselves as well as those who are in need of Guidance.

Assalamu Alaikum.

Asalamu Alleykum umAhmad,

I'd like to point out that the last post (and previous posts before that) by brother Basil was directly concerning his experience in America and thus directly applicable to the current thread. Additionally, if the title of the thread is "Islam in America," then brothers (and sisters) should feel free to comment on their personal issues as it is applicable to Islam in America, both good and bad. We can't learn if we can't share right?

Additionally, I appreciate your thoughts on life in Canada, but as you mentioned yourself, isn't this thread about Islam in America? I noticed the Forum had a thread for Canada and believe your post would be better suited there. As close neighbors as Canada and America are, life if in the two countries is not the same and statements about one cannot be held for the other.

I agree that you are right, that not all Muslims can just up and move - however, if these are the issues facing brothers who are living in America, why should we not be able to talk about them here, in the open, where people can help provide guidance?

BarakAllahfeek.

Assalamu Alaikum, Yes my mistake brother sayyid-al-amriki, JazaakAllahu Khairan for correcting me, my apologies to you and all concerned.

The reason I mentioned using the PM. is because the brother was asking for personal advices and was giving personal information, so I just thought it would be better, but there is no compulsion, By all means if you want to continue then it's your right.

As for the issue of Islam in America, I should have know better, but it was an innocent mistake if you want to call it a mistake, Canada and USA. are 2 countries belonging to the Continent of North America, so habitually when we say America we mean North America and when we talk about the countries we say CANADA and THE UNITED STATES or even just STATES. I am talking about my associates here not the general Public. I am sorry, for mixing up the two things.

The other issue is, according to a Hadith if a person finds that practicing Deen in everyday life is impossible and they are persecuted for practiing their Deen and are required to compromise in any way, then it becomes Fard/Compulsory for that person to do Hijrah from such a place. And if someone is facing such a problem here in North America, then they should move from here without wasting a minute.

Assalamu Alaikum.

Shukran for your posting umAhmad. You're absolutely right about Canada and America often being lumped into one category, especially when one just thinks "North America." I appreciate your thoughts and may Allah forgive us our transgressions while guiding us along the right path. May Allah protect you and your family as well.

BarakAllahfeek,

Sayyid

Assalamu Alaikum, I found this site which helps you locate a Masjid in the United States, it is helpful if someone is travelling. May Allah bless the people who put in the effort, ameen.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetunitedinislam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/islamictext/searchMasjid.asp"]LIST OF MASJIDS IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:[/url]

Assalamu Alaikum.

Didnt read the above posts too throughly, but Illinois and Michigan are really good states for Muslims (reverts and born) to find an accepting community as well as decent jobs.

Salam. Might be alright most places, but around here (Indianapolis, IN) there isn't much of an Islamic community. Sure, the Islamic Society of North America is headquartered just outside of Indy but yeah... not much of a community around here... at least not that I've found. There are at least two halal restaurants around though, one of which has phenomenal pizza... oh and a tiny-tiny-tiny halal market.

Salamo 3alaykoum brothers n sisters,

I'm originally from Morocco but i've moved the DC area ( 3 yrs ago to finish my studies )

being Muslim is kinda tough, especially when you're young and you want to "go out" or "have fun"

the 7alal fun doesn't meet the standards of the fun that i see in the US ( or Morocco for that matter, although Morocco is getting more "open minded" )

the other point that i dislike is the almost absent solidarity within the community in the DC area!

other than that i , for the moment, work at a restaurant which i certainly HATE because i have to serve alcohol and pork. Got laid off from my old IT job ( blame it on the recession )

besides that you can enjoy a lovely 7alal life with your friends ( also avoiding starbucks is awesome!!! :sl: )

Salam,

wasalaam

we have to be strong in life, basil. i understand your hardship, but Allah (S.W.T) will be pleased with you. there are many countries in the world where muslims are accepting. for instance, check out malaysia. i live here, and i am not a malay, a chinese nor an indian(tamil indians). these three races are the the most major races that make up the community in malaysia, yet they live in peace and harmony, ALHAMDULILLAH. i myself have many non - muslim and muslim friends all from different races. i am different from them in terms of features and race, but they accept me as an equal and a muslim. people might bug us in life or not accept us, but we must ignore this as best as we can, and move on.

there are good people and muslims in this world, and also in america. i know this for certain. we just have to show them a good example and be friendly and nice. Allah has commanded us to be fair to other muslims and people as we are of the same religion and/or we are humans too. if these so called 'muslims' are unfair in accepting other muslims as brothers or sisters, that is their problem between them and Allah.

they're not too many muslims in america, is this true?

Salaam :sl:

I live in Brooklyn, NY. And in one specific area where I live, its mostly Muslims. I'm starting to notice how many Muslims live here now. I'm also starting to notice the masjids I've never really noticed before. Its great.

Living in America in a day & age where trying to fit in and fashion and all that good stuff takes over... some of the rules of Islam are broken. I'm not gunna lie. I go to school that's very diverse, and has a lot of Muslims. Some girls who don't wear hijab are probably more modest than the girls that do. One girl I see often wears hijab in a bun style that doesn't cover her neck, tight jeans & some kind of long sleeve shirt. Another wears a bun hijab with whatever the hell she wants! It makes me sick sometimes. But there are a lot of girls I see who keep to their religion. The one thing I don't see if any prayer going on. I wonder if my school allows it? :sl: Lol.

Often, I think about how different it is in Egypt and Iraq and all those Islamic countries. I wish to study there or at least visit for a while one time in my life.

Where I live, Islam is accepted by the citizens. No one stares at a woman in hijab, or a man praying in a park. On a few corners, there are even halal stands that serve middle eastern food and are completely halal :no:

we have to be strong in life, basil. i understand your hardship, but Allah (S.W.T) will be pleased with you. there are many countries in the world where muslims are accepting. for instance, check out malaysia. i live here, and i am not a malay, a chinese nor an indian(tamil indians). these three races are the the most major races that make up the community in malaysia, yet they live in peace and harmony, ALHAMDULILLAH. i myself have many non - muslim and muslim friends all from different races. i am different from them in terms of features and race, but they accept me as an equal and a muslim. people might bug us in life or not accept us, but we must ignore this as best as we can, and move on.

there are good people and muslims in this world, and also in america. i know this for certain. we just have to show them a good example and be friendly and nice. Allah has commanded us to be fair to other muslims and people as we are of the same religion and/or we are humans too. if these so called 'muslims' are unfair in accepting other muslims as brothers or sisters, that is their problem between them and Allah.

they're not too many muslims in america, is this true?

oh, theres plenty of muslims in america. especially in my area. the numbers are downplayed but i'd say there aren't any less than 10 million of us to be honest. like foam on the sea though, as the hadith goes. vast majority are too wrapped up in barack obama and american flag worship and are too concerned with doing things like they are done "back home".

Edited by Basil al-Mamluk

Yes, I know what you mean. I live just outside Kissimmee, FL, the stereotypical 'hick town' (aside from Disney and the tourist sector) yet I have a Masjid right across the street from my job with an Arab hang-out I frequent next door to that.

Many Muslims live among me without making me feel like I'm in the Middle East. The idea that they don't assimilate is ##. Sometimes I wish they were more open, I admire Arab culture and have a great respect for Islam and Muslims. :sl:

Its nice to live in the US. The people here are good but thery are so ignorant!! I wish there were more Muslims here bc it gets lonely. White people hava hard time understanding the problems of a minority.

Where I live very few Muslims are here :sl:

The nearest Masjid is three districts over and 30 minutes away by car. One day I will go there InshAllah.

Where I live very few Muslims are here :sl:

The nearest Masjid is three districts over and 30 minutes away by car. One day I will go there InshAllah.

I've got 1 across the street to my job. Never went though.

i agree...ive seen this on many forums

Salaam. I am not sure why the one brother from DC keeps posting that marriage is out of the question for the reason that he is a "white convert." Color does not matter and usually not race either. Let me be clear in my post that I am not looking to get married but I know that being white or a revert or both does not keep him from marrying and marriage is a requirement to fulfill our deen. My mother is Pakistani and my father from Lebnun and my brother and I were born here in the US and we are considered a mixture. I look like I am Indian but I could marry anyone, white, black or Arab. The requirement is that they have the same aqeedah as me, not if they are a revert or not. I would hope he receives his guidance from Allah swt and not the people around him who discourage him. He already said he is lonely, no wonder! Sura Ar-Rum says (6) that Allah never fails from His promises. Ameen!

i am not muslim but i live in america. i dont know any muslim people at all. i wish i did so i could ask them questions so i could have a better understanding

Salaams,

I'm from America and I think the American re-verts are some of the best Muslims (sorry to sound immodest :sl: .....one reason being Americans have no cultural "baggage" to deal with and we usually get into the "real" Islam of Qur'an and hadith when we re-vert!......I also believe that Islam is America's only hope....America cannot continue its present bullying and "terrioristic" path towards the rest of the world,partiicularly Muslim countries without incurring the wrath of Allah eventually!(would like to hear your comments on this ,particularly from Americans) :no: :sl:

This is an answer to an old post but worth doing. Yes, my country behaves as though the rest of the world owes it something. There is, at the same time, great generosity mixed with the powerful reach of those of no scruples. Violence is so often given as a reason to be fearful of Islam but there are different kinds of violence. Social and economic violence is rarely mentioned but it is something that my country engages in at the very same time that it is being generous in other ways. In this we see the combination of the great desire to give that Americans possess side by side with the darkness of greed expressed by those other forces which are so seldom called to account. In the middle of all this are all the little ordinary folk who suffer. It is my hope that something of the highest order will eventually come of all this but I fear that it will lay with Allah to remind us all of the higher paths in life. In the meanwhile I will ask that we all refrain from adding to the misery of those who suffer by failing in wisdom now and causing even more problems.

JamesYaqub

Asalamu-Alaykum,

I am A muslim sister who lives in Atlanta,Georgia. I think it's a pretty nice place to live. It's a small city with a lot of Muslim communities. What's sad is that we have so much division amoungst the muslims themselves. How are we to set a good example if we can't create peace amoungst each other. Parents and children are fighting, Families are being torn apart and you see many youth caught in the middle. Alot of the youth have just given up on trying to go to the masjid or trying not to get influenced. We are now creating a group called UMA that is trying to bring back the muslim youth. I hope Allah helps the muslims. Amen

Salaam Alykum! A revert here from Los Angeles in California :sl:

I have met very little Islamaphobia (although it certainly exists) and most people here either assume Islam is peaceful and the media is biased (which is true), or they know about Islam Alhamdulillah. There are some Masjids that are here that are HUGE!! I saw a few in Orange County (which is outside of Los Angeles) that are so beautiful Alhamdulillah. I mean the Masjids in Los Angeles are beautiful too hahaha One is in... I forget where ahh but it is so beautiful and big. The one I go too (and has captured my heart) is called Imam Bukhari Masjid. I don't know if they have a website, but it is located on Van Nuys. It is small, but such a nice community feeling Masha'Allah.

I already hang out with my Muslim brothers and sisters on the weekends hahaha

And unrelated to the topic, but my grandma is showing quite an interest in Islam ALLAHU AKBAR!! :sl: