Islamic Forum
strider

Islam in America

salams,

this is where i go>>> "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicfoundationvp(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicfoundationvp(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

eid bazaaar coming up yaaay!!

Fe Amaan Allah.

PropellerAds

:D

this is where i go>>> "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicfoundationvp(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicfoundationvp(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

wow, subhan Allah, that is a great looking masjid. Although im from illinois, since i reverted to Islam while im away at school, i have only been to 1 masjid there. its very small and modest out in elgin. i would like to see whats in the city of chicago, i hear there are nice masjids in the city.

AS

Hmm...Alhamdulillah I don't face much problem with wearing hijaab. But then again, where I am the Muslim community is pretty large. I think the areas where people know less about Muslims, it would be harder. Although, definately here, niqaab is a difficulty to wear. :D

Here are pictures of some masjids in America. :P Well, actually, only in California. :P

Masjid Omar ibn Al-Khattab, Los Angeles, CA

x_110.jpg

Masjid Fresno, Fresno, California

x_108.jpg

King Fahd Masjid, Culver City, CA

x_107.jpg

^ Problem with that pic is that it doesn't show the dome. And I've been to that masjid, and I know it got a dome! :D Its really pretty inside tho.. :D

Islamic Center of Yuba City, California, USA

x_40.jpg

Edited by mm_ca04

wow, subhan Allah, that is a great looking masjid.  Although im from illinois, since i reverted to Islam while im away at school, i have only been to 1 masjid there.  its very small and modest out in elgin.  i would like to see whats in the city of chicago, i hear there are nice masjids in the city. 

AS

salams,

you are reverted? wow...thats something good mashAllah. ever heard about Abdullah Saleem's Alim school in Elgin? let me know.

Fe Amaan Allah.

Assalaamu alaikum,

ever heard about Abdullah Saleem's Alim school in Elgin? let me know.

Nope, I've heard nothing about it. I would appreciate EVERYTHING you could tell me about it though...

I live, I mean my family's house is, less than 5 miles from Elgin. When I come home from school I go to the masjid there.

Like I said, I want to know all about the school. What does "alim school" mean? What ages go there? etc.

walaikum assalaam,

AS

Assalamu alaykum.

I'm an American Muslim. I live in a large city with a large muslim population (Chicago). I find it fairly easy. The only problem is that there is a fair-sized Nation of Islam presence here and people always assume that because I am of AFrican descent I must be part of that group. :D

Anyhow, I attend a wonderful masjid where the Quran and Sunnah is practiced and [most] everyone is friendly. All of the men wear beards (according to my dh-the men and women are in separate rooms) and women wear hijab/niqaab. We are doctors, teachers, social workers and everything else in between. Can you tell that I dig my masjid? :D

assalaamu alaikum Tygrss,

Once again, welcome to IF. This section of the board can get dull, but insha'Allah it will become more lively now that we have 3, count 'em, Chicago area Muslims on here! Well 4 if you count Shalom but he's not been around lately. You and I are representing the reverts :P

Anyhow, as I explained to Desigurl, I'm originally from the Chicago area but I'm attending school in Packer Country :D

I haven't been able to attend a masjid in the actual city of Chicago, could you recommend a good one for me?

It's not cool that the NOI is big there, those people are misled but insha'Allah they will be guided. That's why I ask advice on where to go, because I don't want to find a place on my own and end up in some NOI service...particularly because I'm not African.

Anyhow, you were guided to the right forum :D

wa alaikum assalaam,

AS

Assalaamu alaikum,

Nope, I've heard nothing about it.  I would appreciate EVERYTHING you could tell me about it though...

I live, I mean my family's house is, less than 5 miles from Elgin.  When I come home from school I go to the masjid there. 

Like I said, I want to know all about the school.  What does "alim school" mean?  What ages go there? etc.

walaikum assalaam,

AS

salams,

Well there is this Islamic school in Elgin..its running by Maulana Abdullah Saleem. Over there people memorize Qur'an, they have fiqh class, quran classes and everything...you have to stay there.

Alim means a learned person who have Islamic knowledge or u can say a scholar.....they have five years course for becoming an alim...but if u really wanna become a scholar scholar..after that five years u have to study further....like i am planning to do..inshAllah.

I think age doesn't matter...as long as u want to increase knowledge..you are fine. Im thinking of going there...but i heard few things which are making me stop. So, i don't really know what i am going to do it depends on my destiney.

I really want to increase knowledge...and do dawah..as long as u are living in this country you should do dawah....or else its like haram to live in this country.

people come here to make money....or for education...people are forgetting about Islam....we really need to do dawah..and bring people back to Islam...inshAllah...for that we need knowledge knowledge knowledge.

am i off topic? if yes, then forgive me sorry.

Fe Amaan Allah.

Assalamu alaykum.

I'm an American Muslim. I live in a large city with a large muslim population (Chicago). I find it fairly easy. The only problem is that there is a fair-sized Nation of Islam presence here and people always assume that because I am of AFrican descent I must be part of that group.  :D

Anyhow, I attend a wonderful masjid where the Quran and Sunnah is practiced and [most] everyone is friendly. All of the men wear beards (according to my dh-the men and women are in separate rooms) and women wear hijab/niqaab. We are doctors, teachers, social workers and everything else in between. Can you tell that I dig my masjid? :P

salams,

welcome to IF. Hope you benefit your stay inshAllah.

man, chicago got lot of muslims mashAllah. I live in a neighbourhood where almost everyone is practicing muslims Allahmdulillah.

i find it really easy to practice Islam here...because we have freedom here no restrictions nothing...for some people it might be hard...but, for me its easy as a pie...Allahmdulillah.

i have no problems wearing scarf and jilbab here...but i don't know whats going to happen in future when i am going to start niqaab hopefully inshAllah.

kk, i should stop here...you guys must be thinking i talk a lot...oh yes, i am talkative person..just on net....hehe.

once again, welcome bro/sis :D you came to the right place Allahmdulillah.

me out of here, Fe Amaan Allah.

assalaamu alaikum,

Well there is this Islamic school in Elgin..its running by Maulana Abdullah Saleem. Over there people memorize Qur'an, they have fiqh class, quran classes and everything...you have to stay there.

Thanks for info. By any chance, is the school actually located in a town NEAR Elgin called Gilberts? Is it run from a house?

Jazakallah khair for explaining what "alim" means.

wa alaikum assalaam,

AS

walaikum salaam,

check this out inshAllah...

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.iieonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.iieonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.html[/url]

Fe Amaan Allah.

Edited by Desigurlforeva

assalaamu alaikum,

wow, masha'Allah, that's a huge school. totally NOT the place I was thinking of. good luck on your search for knowledge :D and jazakallah khair for the post sis.

wa alaikum assalaam,

AS

Wow sis Desi...sounds wonderful where you live. Almost everyone is practising Islam?? That is amazing.

Yes you are right. We should do more dawah..and to do that, we have to gain knowledge first.

Asalamou Alaicom wr wb brothers and sisters..

just thought i'll pop in since my sister lives in Chikago (<---- wrong spelling i know)

we called her up this morning, and poor thing... her entire house is covered by snow and the temperature is -20 Allahu Akbar!!!

i hope you are all in good health due to such a cold wether...

May Allah be with you all

Allahuma Ameen

salaam alaikum,

on dec.24 i went to jumuah prayer in elgin illinois at the masjid i usually attend when im home. usually, it's your typical service...half arabic half english. this time, the masjid was packed to the max! mash'Allah.

the problem was that the imam spoke for an hour in arabic, then we prayed, and had to leave to accomodate the second prayer group who wouldn't fit.

alhamdullilah Islam is spreading in the area because the masjid requires 2 friday prayers but i don't like how it's only arabic now due to time. i mean that's not going to help attract new American reverts :D

the only other thing that surprised me was that i had to pray asr alone, because everyone up and left after the prayers. asr wasn't more then 45mins after the jumuah prayer but i guess people have their own priorities :D

wa alaikum assalaam,

AS

Asalamu Alaykum

Hmm…I guess I am lucky :D , I wear hijab freely and don’t fear what others will think. However, you hardly ever see any brothers with beard here :D …

salams,

eid bazaaar coming up yaaay!!

Fe Amaan Allah.

hahahah asalamualaykum i about freaked when i saw that. that was the one i took my shahada at in may. i started going to other ones because it's not so intermingled after prayers like that one is. mashallah that is a big masjid though... wish it was more Islamic, the school is like a public school as well may Allah forgive me.

I'm an American Convert, my race is Caucasian, and the other Caucasians look at me like I'm freaking crazy. I have no friends, and remain isolated most of the time. Americans in general are not very cultured, knowledgeable people. There are exceptions, but the average American is in obsessed with Pop culture and materialism, and when they see Islam near them, they get angry and scared at the same time because they know no life outside of their TV's, wal marts and Sunday NFL football. Islam has the potential to grow here, and also many other western countries, because the Conservative element, regardless of religion is getting sick of a decaying social culture.

I'm an American Convert, my race is Caucasian, and the other Caucasians look at me like I'm freaking crazy.  I have no friends, and remain isolated most of the time. Americans in general are not very cultured, knowledgeable people.  There are exceptions, but the average American is in obsessed with Pop culture and materialism, and when they see Islam near them, they get angry and scared at the same time because they know no life outside of their TV's, wal marts and Sunday NFL football.  Islam has the potential to grow here, and also many other western countries, because the Conservative element, regardless of religion is getting sick of a decaying social culture.

My friends have had bad experiences in america saying the most loved poeople there are often the loudest, most obscene, most vulgar, and most phycologically reprobate fools . I guess your viewpoint sort of confirms it. The human race is deevolving !

I agree with you on the other hand. In america the open mindedness, acaedemia amongst some people, willingness to learn and discuss, and the seeking of GOD by a significant propertion ( evenif they are misguided ) are great attrubutes.. which will make the growth of Islam there easier . Just need to get rid of TV! and those evangelical hate preacherss.. that remind me so much of some " imams " amongst muslims here and there.

We the muslims just need to be better equipped and organised in the Dawah effort. The christians themselves are very organised in their missionary activities, but dont acttract as many converts from the mulim masses still, despite all their efforts. Yet Islam is attracting new people, without much of our own effort!

Guidence is from Allah. So lets start this effort by making dwa to him for HELP!

yeh ... ppl must be real bored to watch him do his tricks.

mashAllah TV left my apartment before i really embraced Islam and i think that helped...no doubt

AS

uggh...i hate it here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D ok ok it's not that bad, but I dunt feel like ppl really understand me or my religion here :P Plus since I dunt have as much family here, my eid s too. I got some muslim friends but they're not really religious and even tho ppl cover their hair here, they still wear really tight clothes, wassup w/ that? Maybe I shouldn't be talkin since I dunt even cover my hair :D hmm.. i jus dunt like hypocrites. anyhow..i dunt feel a strong sense of unity or Islam around here.... :P lol its funny when i go back home to fiji, my cuzins are always askin bout america as if it were some sort of mystical place! I just wish they had a Muslim highschool or college nearby I couldve attended. I feel deprived of so much here :sigh:

Maybe they are ignorant or feel that it's ok as long as they are fully "covered."

1. I don't think we (lay persons) should call anyone a munafiq. 2. Enjoin the good and forbid the evil using hikmah or have someone else do it. Our duty is only to remind and Allah guides whoever He wills to guide. 3. Constantly take the self to account, and continue to improve ourselves because each one of us will only answering for ourself not your classmates, not your friends, not the neighbor, not the imam,...

Any way, I have my own sins to worry about.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/~yubacity_mosque/index.html"]Islamic Center of Yuba City, CA[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/~yubacity_mosque/index.html"]Islamic Center of Yuba City, CA[/url]

the link only shows the burned masjid...i tried to go to the new site but it doesn't work. it seemed beautiful long ago though :D

AS