Islamic Forum
strider

Islam in America

Salam,

Ive lived in Illinois for my entrie life, everyone is respectful to other's view. Everyone is free to practice thier faith. There is even a large Muslim community here.

PropellerAds

:D

Masha'Allah I've lived in Illinois and SoCal :D Both were nice, but SoCal seems to have more Muslims & you can pray outside :D

AS

salam to all

i live in miami aka the city where there is no muslims im serious its a miracle if i ever see someone muslim and if i do its not easy to become frds with them there are very (shayef halen)they act as if they r better than anyone its though i have to say especially that i am in university at the moment and since i do not wear the hijab because i dont think im ready yet to wear it well the point since i dont wear sometimes guys come up to me and they flirt wat am i suppose to say its happened a lot of times already and its though especially when u have them for a class where u have to see them through out the whole semester. i feel like an outcast kind of alone, there is way too much skin out over here especially in miami i want to graduate and get married but all i hope is that whoever i get married to i just hope that we can live in the arab world somewhere like dubai or something

conclusion very though i wouldnt recommend for ppl to come raise their children here if they are muslims

peace out :D

salam to all

i feel like an outcast kind of alone, there is way too much skin out over here especially in miami i want to graduate and get married but all i hope is that whoever i get married to i just hope that we can live in the arab world somewhere like dubai or something

conclusion very though i wouldnt recommend for ppl to come raise their children here if they are muslims

peace out :D

:D I also would like to move to somewhere in UAE after I graduate college. I believe the future for the Muslims in America is looking grim. Recently my brother was pulled over for some bogus law (something about passing a cop while the cop is on the shoulder), sounds shady to me, by two cop cars. They asked him for his license and registration, asked him if he had drugs, guns or explosives in the car. They asked him to get out of the car and then they searched it and they questioned him about his job, residence, college, etc. They let him go :D after they told him that they could have given him a $2500 fine and up to a year in jail. America can only get worse for Muslims in my opinion and I believe its best to move to a country were Muslims will be more comfortable. We have thought about moving to UAE area for some time and :D we will do that within the next few years.

Edited by Ilmseeker

Peace Ilmseeker,

What your brother went through is typical. I am a white non-Muslims male, and the last time I got pulled over (for speeding) I was asked the same questions. I was asked about drugs and weapons and was told that if they wanted there was a k-9 unit less than a mile away to sniff for drugs and explosives. They got my friend out of the car, separated us then asked us the same questions independently.

There was no way the officer believed I was Muslim, but many police officers are trained to conduct questioning and such in order to find drug dealers and illegal weapons. I would not blame the incident on anti-Muslim sentiment unless the officer gave some indication that they were conducting the search based on his religion. Religion certainly wasn't involved in my incident, this is something that happens to many Americans regardless of religion.

i live in NYC and I consider myself an American because I spent most of my life here. a lot of the Islamic world hate America because they don't know. They especially hate Bush because of the War. In my opinion, I like Bush and support him because he has some ethics left and he can relate to a lot of Muslims. He supported the Muslims in the current cartoon situation.

Allah Bless America.

Masha'Allah there are, relatively it seems, many practising Muslims at the university I attend :D Non-Muslims get to experience the adhan 3 times a day! If only they knew what it was :D :D

AS

Toledo-Perrysburg, Ohio

(www.)"http://icgt/images/Main.htm"]icgt/images/Main.htm[/url]

The pictures on the site don't do the masjid justice though. It's beautiful, inside and out.

Toledo-Perrysburg, Ohio

(www.)"http://icgt/images/Main.htm"]icgt/images/Main.htm[/url]

The pictures on the site don't do the masjid justice though. It's beautiful, inside and out.

Whoops I mean (www.)"http://icgt/images/Main.htm"]icgt/images/Main.htm[/url]

Assalmu Alakum,

America is ok, but I would much rather live in a Muslim country. It is a lot safer there and you are always are aroung muslims so there are much less problem over there so yeah. I know I am werid.

How is that weird? Ideally a muslim country is the best.

However, you have a lot more peer pressure because everyone is muslim and not all muslims are doing correct actions so if you live among relatives you mgiht be able to practice your religion the way you would isolated from everyone in kuffaar countries. I suppose that is why it is harder, to live among muslims and do da'wah,etc.

:D / Peace to all,

Sorry to 'hijacked' this forum. I feel that i need to put in my opinion here. I come from a country that claim itself to be a Muslim country. I can tell you that being surrounded by Muslims does not making practising our Deen any easier. At times, it is worse because many practises has been 'polluted' with cultural input. It is more difficult to change the society than to start anew. I personally have many frustrating episodes in trying to practise my Deen the way Prophet wants it to be practised.

I totally agree with Sunniya statement. The challenges to be in a Muslim country is also great considering the effect of globalization. We too have the whole package of 'evil' here. All types of 'clubs' are available here. All types of 'people' and 'vices' are available too. Many Christian missionaries are here and they come with huge 'funds' doing 'charity' work trying to entice the younger mind or the poor to Christianity. There are already a few court cases of Muslim parents trying to get back their children who become Christians. :D

I guess what i am trying to say is that, every nation regardless of being a Muslim or non-Muslim country has its own share of challenges. Regardless of where we are, we should know that, the grass in not always greener on the other side. Allaahu 'alam.

Sis Zabrina

:D for the reminder, I'm 100% sure that you're correct :D One thing we have going for us in America is that we can fully practice Islam. There are some middle eastern countries where this is not the case.

AS

Whoops I mean (www.)"http://icgt/images/Main.htm"]icgt/images/Main.htm[/url]

New members can't post links without at least 50 posts :D

salaam alaikum,

AS

:D Small town, no Muslim community, except some foriegn exchange people. Bummer

:D for the reminder, I'm 100% sure that you're correct :D One thing we have going for us in America is that we can fully practice Islam. There are some middle eastern countries where this is not the case.

:)

AS

True , true, :D

However, the "otherness factor " is a lot higher in the US then in any other non Muslim country. Given 9/11 , and Americas choice to invade Iraq, the hostility against Muslims in the US is more apparent isnt it?

I know ur comparing Islam being practised in the US against a Middle Eastern country, but given certain events , can Muslims in the US really "fully " practise Islam? :D

Edited by ~mehnaz~

I think it is a bit easier in muslim countries bcaz religion is built into the culture.

Still haters exist everywhere but those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.In NYC there is a large muslim community and I personally didn't find it hard to practice Islam. I mean the WTC thing did tick off people including myself

But Unless u live in Redneckville next to some Hill Billy, ( No offense to Hill Billies :D ) people don't profile all muslims and are very tolerant. :D

I worked 2 blocked from WTC and a while after the incident this dude plastered a poster of Bush on his Cube. I countered that by plastering Bin Laden's on mines. :D ..

(who thought I only clown around on forums :D).And No Feds didn't knock my door down in the middle of the night.. :)

Besides ...if Satan worshippers can get their space than who can stop muslims. :D

Peace

...can Muslims in the US really "fully " practise Islam? :D

As far as I can tell. What do you have in mind that you think can't be done here? Basically, as long as it's not violent and falls within the state and federal laws, it's fine. We make salat outside in public, fast, pay charity, and are allowed out of the country for the Hajj.

Plenty of non-Muslims here cheat on their wives or have multiple girlfriends so, if you can find an Imam to do the nikkah, you can get married, Islamically, to more than 1 wife...it's just that those marriages aren't ALL recognized by the state.

I'm pretty sure you can do everything here with no worries. Enforcing the punishments would land you in the penal system BUT there's difference of opinion as to whether or not that's still in effect when there's no caliphate, etc...

AS

yes i agree with Allah'slave, Islam is well practiced in america, there are all kinda of sources, sermons, Masjids, islalmic schools etc...so everything at open, it depends how ppl use it and if they take advantage of it or not, but no one really questions you,

yes i agree with Allah'slave, Islam is well practiced in america, there are all kinda of sources, sermons, Masjids, islalmic schools etc...so everything at open, it depends how ppl use it and if they take advantage of it or not, but no one really questions you,

:D thats good to hear.

I have family living in America and the reason why I asked whether or not Islam can really be "fully practised in the US" was because of the negative connotations a womans Islamic dress has. Particularly after 9/11 and the tense climate in the States, there is no doubt that there STILL is suspicion of Muslims in general.

Fair enough there are sisters who wear the hijab with pants and tops etc. However, there are some who unfortunately would rather not wear the jilbab or abayah because of the non Muslim perception of it being "what the extreamists wear".

How true is this?

Edited by ~mehnaz~

"I asked whether or not Islam can really be "fully practised in the US" was because of the negative connotations a womans Islamic dress has. Particularly after 9/11 and the tense climate in the States, there is no doubt that there STILL is suspicion of Muslims in general."

As Salaam Alaikum

India has a large muslim population. but in 2004 there was large scale violence and genocide in the state of Gujarat. again the same is being repeated. the police fired live cartridges on muslim mob protesting after the demolition of a Dargah

I personally don't see a greater advantage of living in the US verse a Muslim country. Yes, it's true that we get to practice our religoun fully, but WHO takes that advantage anyways? In this area, we have a fairly large Muslim community with an active Masjid and Islamic school, but yet, I feel like i'm surrounded by a bunch of hyprocritical Muslims. You have the adults here trying to encorporate their culture into our deen and then you have the youth who have MAJOR issues. One by one, girls starting to take their hijabs off for no reasons. Oh yea, there are plenty that wear hijab and jilbabs, that's great for them, but that doesn't make them a good Muslim based on other things they do. :D Islam has lost its purity here. It's been so hard to find friends that will guide you in the right direction rather than the wrong. No one is chasing after their deen anymore, rather, they are chasing after their lives.

I understand that Muslim countries are just as corrupted (almost) but atleast much of the haram is "hidden" so the fitnah isn't as strong over there. There are also more choices of friends to choose from rather than being limited like we are here. I would do anything just to hear the adthan 5 times a day from a real masjid, rather than my computer. In a Muslim country, I would atleast be able to go to knowledgable scholars to learn my deen from. So there are much more Islamic opportunities to take part with, atleast what i feel. Please mark me if I'm wrong.

Wasalaam.

but u gotta keep in mind that america is a non Islamic country, ofcourse fitnah is more manifested and many unpleasing things that would've stay hidden in Islamic countries are at the open, but i guess wat am saying is, no one has a say in how u practice ur religion, it fully depends on u