Islamic Forum
Moustafa

Music in Islam

Assalam-ul-Alaikum,

'Sounds' again 'cause music is supposed to be 'music', which is considered pleasant to the ears or something which uplifts your mood.

Edited by Muezza

PropellerAds

I would just like to say

May Allah (SWT) Guide Us All to Do What is Right.

On things controversial like this, if we are doing anything wrong may we be forgiven. Ameen

Assalam-ul-Alaikum,

'Sounds' again 'cause music is supposed to be 'music', which is considered pleasant to the ears or something which uplifts your mood.

Aslaam Walaikum Waramtuallahi Wabarakatuh

What about the recititation of the Holy Quran? That is very uplifting.

^^^ You can say it's 'clean music' as no musical instruments are involved and the words being recited are Allah's words.

Edited by Muezza

Footsteps are music if combined in a Rhythm... Check out STOMP

Tap Dancing involves some serious practice of dynamics and percussion rhythms... It is definitely classed as music plus dance

So maybe according to some of my brothers here we should STOP WALKING since it makes music and THAT is HARAM with a BIG H

Astughfirullah

Get over it guys... I think you should all buy some book on the History of Muslim Spain and try to find out who Zaryab was...

Before Beethoven and Mozart were... Zaryab was!!!

May Allah swt revive muslims in all fields of life... Be it arts like music, painting, calligraphy... and sciences be it computers, medicine, civil engineering...

InshAllah all is coming back in the Khilafah!!!

Peace.

Among the things I have learned from reading IF is that you folks will never agree on this one. :D

I was startled when I first discovered that there's any question, actually. But the basis of my suprise is just that I happen to know a short violin tune called "Allahu Akbar" -- evidently composed for the violin three or four hundred years ago. And if any instrument is an instrument of Satan, it's the violin. It's unearthly voice can be heavenly or hellish with a twist of the wrist and it's nigh-impossible to ignore.

Peace.

Among the things I have learned from reading IF is that you folks will never agree on this one. :D

I was startled when I first discovered that there's any question, actually. But the basis of my suprise is just that I happen to know a short violin tune called "Allahu Akbar" -- evidently composed for the violin three or four hundred years ago. And if any instrument is an instrument of Satan, it's the violin. It's unearthly voice can be heavenly or hellish with a twist of the wrist and it's nigh-impossible to ignore.

Peace be with you Kale,

If the violin is as you say, perhaps it is angelic? For angels are heavenly, yet given free-will as are we. With such a gift, they are capable of either heavenly or hellish dispositions.

Peace, Love and Blessings,

Indeed, maranatha.

If I really thought the violin was satanic, I wouldn't be playing it.

Indeed, maranatha.

If I really thought the violin was satanic, I wouldn't be playing it.

Peace be with you Kale,

I merely offered my remarks with humored criticism, not in any way to suggest you were speaking none other than in jest.

Peace, Love and Blessings,

Allah Akbar on the Violin huh??

I thought I had heard it all my favorite being Adhan on Hyperbass by Micahel Manring!!!

Kale could you get me a record of this tune Allah Akbar on the Violin?? and who is it that composed it??

There are many things muslims wont agree on these days... but once the Khilafah comes back we cant stay stuck in these useless debates... I strongly support music and its use... anyone with the slightest knowledge of Islam cannot deny that muslims have used music and this idea of it being totally haram is nothing but ignorance... I remember the scene from the movie THE MESSAGE that when the Prophet entered Madina they played the Daffs and sang songs on his arrival... and again as he conquered Mecca muslims played Drums to the march of the muslim army into the Holy City!!!

:D

Obviously enough there are no musical instrument of the satan. You people should all read the Fatwas to the end.

Moustafa

Edited by Moustafa

Question of Fatwa Dear scholars, As-Salamu `alaykum. Is it haram to learn to play the violin? I am very fond of it. Listening to it soothes me, and I think it will be a great companion (even though it's non-living) when we do not find the support of people around us. But before enrolling in this course, I wanted to make sure whether or not it is haram. I intend to do this for my personal use only and not to entertain people or make money. When you do not have a companion, this can be very useful for the heart. Jazakum Allah khayran.

Name of Mufti Sheikh Ahmad Kutty

Content of Reply Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah, the Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake alone.

It is very imoportant to note that if the violin is used for a good purpose, it can be considered as permissible. If, on the other hand, it is used for unlawful purposes, then it should be considered haram (forbidden).

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“The violin like all forms of musical instruments cannot be considered as totally forbidden or totally permissible. Rather we should look at it from the point of view of its use; if it is used for a good purpose it can be considered as permissible; if, on the other hand, it is used for unlawful purposes, then it should be considered haram (forbidden).

Islam allows us to have recourse to lawful outlets, and these outlets help us to recuperate; to soothe our nerves, and thus make us more creative. If, therefore, you were to use it in this way as an occasional outlet, without being addicted to it, and the themes are ennobling to the spirit, and not degrading or filthy, then you are allowed to use it in moderation.

While using it, never allow yourself to be distracted from your important religious duties or obligations. We are told in a tradition, "Go ahead and let your hearts have occasional outlets for the sake of recuperation."

Finally, let us always keep this point in mind, Islam is the path of moderation; it steers clear of both extremes of permissiveness and excessive spirituality.�

Editor's Note

We would like to stress that the Qu’ran, as the word of Allah, gives rest and peace to the heart. You are advised to learn to recite the Qu’ran and learn Arabic so as to understand it. Try your best to seek companionship with good Muslims and stay with true believers, then you will no longer have the need of the violin.

You can also read:

What Does Islam Say on Music?

Singing & Music: Islamic View

Qawali & Western Music

If you are still in need of more information, don't hesitate to contact us. Do keep in touch. May Allah guide us all to the straight path!

Allah Almighty knows best.

Guest Sulemaan

My Deaer Moustafa,

You are missing a major point here. Singing and music are two different things. You can sing without music, and that is something that was never prohibited.

The question is of musical instruments - The above stated hadith starts with the question from Syedna Abu Bakr Siddique (Radhiallahu Anhu) "Musical instruments in front of the Prophet? (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassallam)....

According to authentic traditions, the early Muslims use to shun all kinds of musical instruments except the Dough (a single beat drum). You can still see some beduins singing accompanied by the beats of the dough.

Singing was never an issue, in fact when the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wassallam reached Madinah, people greeted him with the song Ta'ala Al Badru Alayna.

In one of the signs of Qiyamah, the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wassallam mentioned widespread use of musical instruments. It should be noted that all the signs of the Qiyamah are either abominable things or sins committed by mankind. If music was to be halaal, it would not have made to the list of sign of the Qiyamah.

Edited by Sulemaan

Guest Sulemaan

That is the point I wanted to make among the people who say music is Haram. Music is not Haram in Islam.

Assalaamualaikum,

Regardless of what any sheikh of today's times says....to me there are two things that are powerful enough evidence for myself to not listen to music.

1. All 4 Imams of the Madhabs said that Music is Haraam.

2. This Hadith: Ash’ari (may Allaah be pleased with them) said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There will be among my ummah people who will permit illegal sexual activity (zinaa), silk, alcohol and musical instruments…� (narrated by al-Bukhaari).

The meaning of the phrase “[they] will permit illegal sexual activity (zinaa), silk, alcohol and musical instruments…� is that these things are basically haraam. The word translated as “there will be� refers to something which will happen in the future. What this means is that there will be people who regard as halaal and allow themselves things that are haraam, such as zinaa, silk and musical instruments.

With that said on when it comes to other matters, I think anything that can be considered doubtful is best to stay away from...I myself just feel more at ease that way knowing that it isn't a necessity for me to listen to music to survive. Only Allah (SWT) Knows Best

Unless you are a Sheikh, it is your points against Sheikhs points.

Moustafa

His point is that of the four Imams! So it is actually the word of the four Imams against the Sheikh! Any muslim will know what that means.

applauds for sulemaan!! :D

honestly why there is such a confusion in the topic is beyond me...do you all not have faith that thy lord has shown you the right path...and warned you to stay away from the path of hell?! or is the sweet noise of instruments your paradise here?

w/s

Edited by Crystal Eyes

I agree with the point of the Four Imams over this respected Sheikh... And I do respect this Sheikh, however, that doesn't mean I have to follow him over the Four Imams...

But if we're gonna talk about Sheikhs of today, then here is Sheikh Munajjid's reply on music:>>>

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…� (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This is a saheeh hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh, where he quoted it as evidence and stated that it is mu’allaq and majzoom. He said: Chapter on what was narrated concerning those who permit alcohol and call it by another name.

This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit� which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things? (adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)

Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This hadeeth indicates that ma’aazif are haraam, and ma’aazif means musical instruments according to the scholars of (Arabic) language. This word includes all such instruments. (al-Majmoo’, 11/535).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: And concerning the same topic similar comments were narrated from Sahl ibn Sa’d al-Saa’idi, ‘Imraan ibn Husayn, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas, Abu Hurayrah, Abu Umaamah al-Baahili, ‘Aa’ishah Umm al-Mu’mineen, ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib, Anas ibn Maalik, ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Saabit and al-Ghaazi ibn Rabee’ah. Then he mentioned it in Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, and it indicates that they (musical instruments) are haraam.

It was narrated that Naafi’ (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Ibn ‘Umar heard a woodwind instrument, and he put his fingers in his ears and kept away from that path. He said to me, O Naafi’, can you hear anything? I said, No. So he took his fingers away from his ears and said: I was with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he heard something like this, and he did the same thing. (Saheeh Abi Dawood). Some insignificant person said that this hadeeth does not prove that musical instruments are haraam, because if that were so, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have instructed Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) to put his fingers in his ears as well, and Ibn ‘Umar would have instructed Naafi’ to do likewise! The response to this is: He was not listening to it, but he could hear it. There is a difference between listening and hearing. Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Concerning (music) which a person does not intend to listen to, there is no prohibition or blame, according to scholarly consensus. Hence blame or praise is connected to listening, not to hearing. The one who listens to the Qur’aan will be rewarded for it, whereas the one who hears it without intending or wanting to will not be rewarded for that, because actions are judged by intentions. The same applies to musical instruments which are forbidden: if a person hears them without intending to, that does not matter. (al-Majmoo’, 10/78).

Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: the listener is the one who intends to hear, which was not the case with Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both); what happened in his case was hearing. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) needed to know when the sound stopped because he had moved away from that path and blocked his ears. So he did not want to go back to that path or unblock his ears until the noise had stopped, so when he allowed Ibn ‘Umar to continue hearing it, this was because of necessity. (al-Mughni, 10/173)

(Even though the hearing referred to in the comments of the two imaams is makrooh, it was permitted because of necessity, as we will see below in the comments of Imaam Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him). And Allaah knows best).

You can read the rest "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=5000&dgn=4"]here/[/url]

:w:

Guest Sulemaan

Assalaamalaikum,

What is the world coming to? Today for this first time I have come across a "Sheikh" who has said that one of the Sahih Bukhari Hadith has a weak chain! Is this the extent we are willing to go just to satisfy our wants? Are we to change the meaning of Sahih Hadith just because want to take part in a thing that has no benefit at all?

Music is waste of time.

Don't bend the religion to benefit yourself but bend yourself to benefit from the religion.

:w:

:salam:

short violin tune

i think they chose trumphet not violin, because of its exictement and loud noise.

When the world was created Angel MaKail bellowed the trumphet, and when the world will end he will blow it again and once more after that.

If Allah(SWT) and his beloved Messenger chose musical instrumnets then it must be agreed upon that music iteself is not haram. Agreed?

Secondly, it does not seem logical why Islam will prohibit music as long as a person does not act on it or miss the prayers. Only exception is that if it is sung by a female gender, because Prophet advised females not to read Quran in a meladious voice, incase it attracts the opposite gender.

Music itself is not haram its how people act on it, which is haram. If i listen to it for a sake of refreshment once in a while, then y would it be wrong?

Even if it is haram then its 1000 times less haram than TV.

Actually bro Danish.. Music is not haram at all... However when it gets combined with things like sick lyrics and shameless nakedness and dance... I ll give you an example...

Many Pakistani brothers will know this... Indian Movie songs... Majority are basically nothing but sexually motivated where some really stupid wordings are sung to the music of a commercially dead nature and right in the middle of the movie the clothes of the singers (usually the hero and his love bird) gets changed... Many songs are based on sex, alcohol and stuff like that... HARAM

I dont know if I ll be able to recognise who Shakira is since my taste in music forbids to listen to such people and I ll most probably confuse her with Britney Spears or something... But I know that she sang a song with almost no clothes on and became hugely popular... HARAM

But do you know that there was a Brazilian group that sang a song about the cut throat corporate culture controlling biotechnology and calling it Godzilla.... Check out Sepulturas BIOTECH IS GODZILLA from CHAOS AD album... Not only Mundoob but I think in this day and age muslims should be listening to stuff like that... to be aware of what is happening in the world... so NOT HARAM

Or yeah Soldiers of Allah... Purely ideas of political Islam sung to acceptably generated music on the computers... NOT HARAM

Or if you watch Harun Yahyas documentaries... They are backed by some good soundtracks... NOT HARAM

It is a matter of self now how you choose things... Under the state I think the Khilafah should give a few guidelines as to the sources of music with positive messages etc... However it simply cannot ban music coz never in the history of the Khilafah such a thing was done... Most people who reject music do so based on their emotions and not intellect or Islam...

Masalama

Music is not haram at all... 

what planet were you when brother sulemaan was talking? :D

w/s