Do You Buy Fair Trade Products?

Fair Trade  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Buy Fair Trade products?

• Yes all the products I buy are fair trade
    • Sometimes.
    • What is fair trade?

:D

I'm really interested to see what people think of the fair trade movement.

Please feel free to elaborate on what you have voted for :D

PropellerAds

I'm sure I made a similar topic about free range eggs?

Fair Trade chocolate is nice and fair trade tea.

Do you think then that if it is doesn't saty fair trade on the label, then the product is unfair trade? Then would it be haram to buy it, especially if there was an alternative fair trade product?

I am in no way qualified to deem something Haraam, but personally if there is a fair trade alternative I tend to go for it. Take coffee for example, So many people buy nestle coffee, however, ever since the baby milk scandal in Africa, I refuse to touch any of their products. I then started looking into fair trade goods and found Cafe Direct, great coffee, and you don't have baby killers on your conscience!

Edited by emel

salaam

can sm1 tell me what is meant by fair trade in this post? :D

jazakallah khairan :D

ma'salaamah

Shop until they drop: UK stores shocked by conditions in their Chinese factories

Clothes and toys on sale in Britain's high streets are made by Chinese workers forced to endure illegal, exhausting and dangerous conditions, according to a new study. It will increase the pressure on retailers to monitor the conditions in which their products are made...

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article338531.ece"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...ticle338531.ece[/url]

salaam

can sm1 tell me what is meant by fair trade in this post? :D

jazakallah khairan :D

ma'salaamah

Development agencies recognised the important role that consumers could play to improve the situation for producers. By buying direct from farmers at better prices, helping to strengthen their organisations and marketing their produce directly through their own one world shops and catalogues, the charities offered consumers the opportunity to buy products which were bought on the basis of a fair trade.

Find out more at the website below:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.fairtrade.com.uk/"]Fairtrade[/url]

salaam

Shop until they drop: UK stores shocked by conditions in their Chinese factories

Clothes and toys on sale in Britain's high streets are made by Chinese workers forced to endure illegal, exhausting and dangerous conditions, according to a new study. It will increase the pressure on retailers to monitor the conditions in which their products are made...

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article338531.ece"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...ticle338531.ece[/url]

Development agencies recognised the important role that consumers could play to improve the situation for producers. By buying direct from farmers at better prices, helping to strengthen their organisations and marketing their produce directly through their own one world shops and catalogues, the charities offered consumers the opportunity to buy products which were bought on the basis of a fair trade.

Find out more at the website below:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.fairtrade.com.uk/"]Fairtrade[/url]

jazakallah khair :D

ma'salaamah

good topic...

i voted "sometimes"...

i think many supermarkets have started to stock "fair trade" products.......ranging from coffee to fruits..and i know many people have switched to buying fairtrade products....which i suppose is good for the less economic developed countries...

i dont think the prices differ by that much...

MashaAllah, nice to see some contributions to this thread! Yes I do think people in general are being made aware of fair trade alternatives. Alhamdulillah, especially for those of us living in the west, we need to do everything we can to support smale scale producers in less developed countries.

Edited by emel

Who said all the products they buy are fair trade?

Unless they grow the produce themselves and make clothes themselves!

For anyone who likes dark chocolate with mint, try Green & Black's. Its fantastic! :D

The only fairtrade fruit/veg I've seen in the supermarket are bananas.

I started buying the "Cafe Direct" coffees after watching a documentary on the coffee trade ((www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1488758.stm"]The Cappuccino Trail[/url]).

Biscuits, coffee and juices are the only fairtrade products I've noticed. The IMF will keep third world farmers in debt, ultimately there may be little difference in buying fairtrade or regular.