Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
--**MinorityOpinions**--

Muslim Mayhave Discovered America Before Columbus.

As Salaam Alaikum,

I read this a while back on another site and stuff. But I figure since CNN is covering it, it was worthy for poting about.

Here's the (www.)"http://cnn/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/01/16/china.us.zheng.reut/index.html"]link[/url].

salaam

PropellerAds

:D

Intresting, Might well be true. Allah knows best.

The Map that Columbus used to rely on his journey was taken from the Arabs

Vikings, Arabs, been there, done that!

As Salaam Alaikum,

I read this a while back on another site and stuff. But I figure since CNN is covering it, it was worthy for poting about.

Here's the (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.cnn(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/01/16/china.us.zheng.reut/index.html"]link[/url].

salaam

I read that also, he was a Chinese Muslim Admiral in the Imperial Navy...

China is printing a new map laying claims to North America based on the Admirals discovery...

I also read in other sources that Muslims from Andalucia and the West African Islamic Kingdom's had also been here before, and a few Native American Indians state that too...

Columbus had a Muslim navigator with him when he came to the "New World",

It's funny how he "Discovered" the "New World" the exact year after Granada fell with all its knowledge and riches...

It's also funny that Columbus had rations that lasted him precisely the amount of time to get here. For a voyage that he didn't know exactly how long would take or if he'd actually make it...

I also saw in Brazil's national museum a painting that depicted Indigenous peoples along with men wearing turbans and dressed in Arab atire on the shore defending against men embarking from ships with white sails that had red crosses on them...

So there are some holes in the current version of who discovered the "New World" that is being taught...

Peace,

At school we were taught the Vikings discovered the New World first. (I.e. from people who didn't already live there.) This being several hundred years before either Columbus or this Chinese chap.

(Bring on the debate on whether the New World means Canada as well as the USA)

Why do we keep saying discovered, how can someone (whoever it was) discover the Americas when the natives own the land....

Read (Lies My Teacher Told me) by James Loewen.

Peace,

At school we were taught the Vikings discovered the New World first. (I.e. from people who didn't already live there.) This being several hundred years before either Columbus or this Chinese chap.

(Bring on the debate on whether the New World means Canada as well as the USA)

Peace Eoin,

Yeah I read that also,

and I also read that Irish Monks were here first,

It's up for grabs man :D

Why do we keep saying discovered, how can someone (whoever it was) discover the Americas when the natives own the land....

Read (Lies My Teacher Told me) by James Loewen.

yes, I read that Native Americans are pretty upset about this,

as if they Just came into existence when foreigners arrived...

It's also funny that Columbus had rations that lasted him precisely the amount of time to get here. For a voyage that he didn't know exactly how long would take or if he'd actually make it...

Columbus had enough food to last for a year, and landed in the America's roughly two months after he left.

His calculations were actually way off. He believed the world to be smaller than it actually was, while most of the educated men in Spain believed it to be much larger than Columbus did. (There was no doubt the world was round by the way. That people thought the earth was flat at the time is a myth). He convinced Isabella that the earth was small enough to sail westward and reach India. He believed his calculations had been close when he landed in the Americas, not realizing he had just run into a continent he didn't know existed. He got lucky.

(www.)"http://viking.no/e/people/leif/e-leiv.htm"]viking.no/e/people/leif/e-leiv.htm[/url]

There is archaelogical evidence of a Viking settlement near Newfoundland dating back to around the year 1000 AD. That's at least 4 centuries before Columbus or this Chinese Muslim. Does it really matter, though?

What is interesting is how China didn't colonise the new world... They also had gun powder for a very long time...

yes, I read that Native Americans are pretty upset about this,

as if they Just came into existence when foreigners arrived...

The fantastic Billy Connelly once commented on David Livingstone "discovering" Victoria Falls in 1855......"That must have come as somewhat of a suprise to the africans that had been living under the damn thing!!"

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.viking.no/e/people/leif/e-leiv.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.viking.no/e/people/leif/e-leiv.htm[/url]

There is archaelogical evidence of a Viking settlement near Newfoundland dating back to around the year 1000 AD. That's at least 4 centuries before Columbus or this Chinese Muslim. Does it really matter, though?

Peace Lateralus

I think it matters, It's about historical accuracy (depending on the persons perspective and evidence presented), and about pride...

It'll matter to the Italians, because they'll flip out when they find someone casting doubt on their claims...

The Spaniard say it's theirs, because it was granted by their king & queen, funded by them, the ships were supplied by them, it took off from spain, had a Spanish crew, etc...

It'll matter to the Native American's, because they say. we're the original inhabitants...

If someone down the road claimed that they were the first to set foot on the moon, I think we'd be irked about that :D

So, It'll matter to Just about everyone involved :D

The fantastic Billy Connelly once commented on David Livingstone "discovering" Victoria Falls in 1855......"That must have come as somewhat of a suprise to the africans that had been living under the damn thing!!"

lol, absolutely...

I forget the title of the book, but one part had this Native American who was taken back to Great Britain one day to be shown to the king (along with other unique things from North America), and he said being that I'm the first Indian to set foot here, I discovered this land....

Peace Lateralus

I think it matters, It's about historical accuracy (depending on the persons perspective and evidence presented), and about pride...

It'll matter to the Italians, because they'll flip out when they find someone casting doubt on their claims...

The Spaniard say it's theirs, because it was granted by their king & queen, funded by them, the ships were supplied by them, it took off from spain, had a Spanish crew, etc...

It'll matter to the Native American's, because they say. we're the original inhabitants...

If someone down the road claimed that they were the first to set foot on the moon, I think we'd be irked about that :D

So, It'll matter to Just about everyone involved :D

Ego. :D

lol, absolutely...

I forget the title of the book, but one part had this Native American who was taken back to Great Britain one day to be shown to the king (along with other unique things from North America), and he said being that I'm the first Indian to set foot here, I discovered this land....

Lol.

I'm thinking about laying claim to the continent of Australasia. I've never been there, i'm not even sure i spelt it correctly, but it's got to be worth a shot!!

I'll install John Cleese as president to my new found republic, and Roger Moore shall be employed within the foreign office as "International ladies man, and spokesman for all things requiring a raised eyebrow"

Thezman, if your REALLY nice, i'll make you "Minister for War" and i'll let you invade israel, but only on the condition that you also attack whichever country it is that happens to be hosting Paris Hilton at that particular time. Please let it be the Italians.