Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
maidan shahr

Depression Medicine

Salam, My school nurse is telling me that I have signs of deppression, that i worry too much about everything, lost my appetite, motivation for daily life, etc. I feel it also and I think its very serious. I've honestly tried everything, spending more time with my friends, exercising, and I already eat healthy. Do you think I should start taking medicine or is it bad for you? thanks a lot

PropellerAds

:D

May Allah guides you and shows you true happiness.

I personally don't like medicine at all, they have side effects, most of the time.

Instead, i try to (simplify my life---> clarify --->then economize)

in other words, I try to get rid of things/routines that i don't need which gives me a clear mind and helps me focus= less stress and more productivity.

Eating healthy (try green tea), working out, reading, and ofcourse praying to Allah (SWT) will take you out from your strees insha'Allah, have faith in Allah.

SAlamU ALakium

Thanks for your help. I have good iman and I pray very sincerely, I try to do what you'ere saying but I think a lot about everything, things ppl my age shouldn't even be thinking about, and i get very angry easily (in my mind) and the stress and anger affect my mood and motivation for everything. when i pray, my mind turns a bit calm, but like when i do istikharah i get a feeling over me that i need outside help. i dont know what this exactly is maybe nervous tension :D , but i feel as if slowly everything important to me is escaping from me like slowly im going to die :D

May Allah (swt) make it easier on you sis.

Depression is not something you can just "snap out of." It's caused by an imbalance of brain chemicals, along with other factors. Like any serious medical condition, depression needs to be treated.

Some people say that depression feels like a black curtain of despair coming down over their lives. Many people feel like they have no energy and can't concentrate. Others feel irritable all the time for no apparent reason. The symptoms vary from person to person, but if you feel "down" for more than two weeks, and these feelings are interfering with your daily life, you may be clinically depressed.

Depression has no single cause; often, it results from a combination of things. You may have no idea why depression has struck you.

Whatever its cause, depression is not just a state of mind. It is related to physical changes in the brain, and connected to an imbalance of a type of chemical that carries signals in your brain and nerves. These chemicals are called neurotransmitters.

Some of the more common factors involved in depression are:

* Family history. Genetics play an important part in depression. It can run in families for generations.

* Trauma and stress. Things like financial problems, the breakup of a relationship, or the death of a loved one can bring on depression. You can become depressed after changes in your life, like starting a new job, graduating from school, or getting married.

* Pessimistic personality. People who have low self-esteem and a negative outlook are at higher risk of becoming depressed. These traits may actually be caused by low-level depression (called dysthymia).

* Physical conditions. Serious medical conditions like heart disease, cancer, and HIV can contribute to depression, partly because of the physical weakness and stress they bring on. Depression can make medical conditions worse, since it weakens the immune system and can make pain harder to bear. In some cases, depression can be caused by medications used to treat medical conditions.

* Other psychological disorders. Anxiety disorders, eating disorders, schizophrenia, and (especially) substance abuse often appear along with depression.

Although depression can make you feel alone,16 % of Americans will have it during their lifetime. While depression can affect anyone, its effect may vary depending on your age and gender.

* Women are almost twice as likely to become depressed as men. The higher risk may be due partly to hormonal changes brought on by puberty, menstruation, menopause, and pregnancy.

* Men. Although their risk for depression is lower, men are more likely to go undiagnosed and less likely to seek help. They may show the typical symptoms of depression, but are more likely to be angry and hostile or to mask their condition with alcohol or drug abuse. Suicide is an especially serious risk for men with depression, who are four times more likely than women to kill themselves.

* Elderly. Older people may lose loved ones and have to adjust to living alone. They may become physically ill and unable to be as active as they once were. These changes can all contribute to depression. Loved ones may attribute the signs of depression to the normal results of aging, and many older people are reluctant to talk about their symptoms. As a result, older people may not receive treatment for their depression.

The good news is that depression is very treatable. Most patients, even those with severe depression, show improvement after they seek treatment. Your doctor will prescribe treatment based on the pattern of your depression, its severity, persistence of symptoms, and history.

If your doctor prescribes antidepressant therapy, give it time. It may take four weeks or more before you notice a change in your mood, and possibly longer before you feel the full benefits of medication.

Your doctor will decide how long you need to stay on antidepressants. Following your doctor’s directions is critical to your treatment success.

for more info (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.depression(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]Visit Here![/url]

ASAlamu Alaikwam

sister truth thanks. i think my case is genetics ... i do have bad concentration, i have no motivation, i get mad easily, and i tnk about things i shouldn't be thinking too much about, when i get rest it has no impact on me, when i pray it doesn't treat me. ALso can u please tell me whether or not i should take medicine because medicine makes me lose my balance in moving my hands and walking, i become unable to control my emotions and it makes me feel high :D

if you have clinical depression, its important to get it treated...

but it takes a while to get used to taking them because your body has to adjust to the conditions. depression causes you to have a lack of seretonin and the meds will put it back in. however sometimes you need to adjust ur meds depending on the situation, tell you dr.

a sign of being over medicated, which isnt good, is having clamy palms, and vivid dreams, if this is happening you need to consult ur dr.

if the meds are strong you may experience side effects such as loss of balance, and sometimes shakes in ur hands.

but be strong and try it out for a couple of weeks. you will start to notice a difference.

if you have clinical depression, its important to get it treated...

but it takes a while to get used to taking them because your body has to adjust to the conditions. depression causes you to have a lack of seretonin and the meds will put it back in. however sometimes you need to adjust ur meds depending on the situation, tell you dr.

a sign of being over medicated, which isnt good, is having clamy palms, and vivid dreams, if this is happening you need to consult ur dr.

if the meds are strong you may experience side effects such as loss of balance, and sometimes shakes in ur hands.

but be strong and try it out for a couple of weeks. you will start to notice a difference.

yeh i guess that stupid overmediacted me then be4 :D i really dont know cuz my best friend told me to take st. john's wort and i have since 3 days , it helped a bit but i think it takes longer...i dont want those side affects again :D

Iwould recommend not taking any medication untill you have actually been diagnosed with clinical depression.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.depressionet.com.au/articles/gu_sjw.html"]Info about st johns wort[/url]

seek a psycologist and they will refer u from there, but i urge u not to medicate urself. even with this herbal remedy.