Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mot

Was Jesus Really God?

Peace to you.

I never agreed that Jesus is God's creation. In fact John in his gospel clearly states that Jesus was present at the creation of the cosmos.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made." (John 1:1-3)

Jesus is unique. This is why we refer to Jesus as the begotten Son of God, and all other men as created. Begotten refers not to the means of how Jesus came into being but that he shared the nature as the Father. This phrase is not some later invention of the church, nor is it rooted in the teaching of Paul. John is the one who powerfully enunciates the idea.

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14)

"No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him." (John 1:18)

[Jesus said] "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." (John 3:16-17)

"Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot also loves him who is begotten of Him." (1 John 5:1)

I realize that this contradicts the Quran. We will never agree on this subject.

PropellerAds
Peace to you.

I never agreed that Jesus is God's creation. In fact John in his gospel clearly states that Jesus was present at the creation of the cosmos.

Salaam,

So he was PRESENT but he didn't CREATE right?

Imperial1

Peace,

Sorry. Creator too.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made." (John 1:1-3)

"He [Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross." (Colossians 1:16-17)

"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high..." (Hebrews 1:1-3)

Peace,

Sorry. Creator too.

"He [Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross." (Colossians 1:16-17)

"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high..." (Hebrews 1:1-3)

Why is Jesus in the "[]" ? And why are things created THROUGH him rather than BY him?

Imperial1

The word [Jesus] was inserted by me because I did not want the quote to be any longer that it had to be. The context of the Scripture makes it clear that the verse is talking about Jesus even though the particular section I quoted does not mention him by name. My intent was to avoid confusion, not create it :[##][/##]

Your second question is a very good one. Actually, I have been pondering the same thing, and thinking about what it means to have something made "through" one. We have three different authors and the use seems very deliberate. I will ask people smarter than myself and see if I get an answer. Doubtless the answer will involve some annoying aspect of trinitarian theology, but I too am curious. :D

The word [Jesus] was inserted by me because I did not want the quote to be any longer that it had to be. The context of the Scripture makes it clear that the verse is talking about Jesus even though the particular section I quoted does not mention him by name. My intent was to avoid confusion, not create it :[##][/##]

Your second question is a very good one. Actually, I have been pondering the same thing, and thinking about what it means to have something made "through" one. We have three different authors and the use seems very deliberate. I will ask people smarter than myself and see if I get an answer. Doubtless the answer will involve some annoying aspect of trinitarian theology, but I too am curious. :D

Salaam ME,

You appear to be a pretty smart gentleman "me" do you ever question the Trinity in the way the early church articulated the doctrine? Have you ever considered that it might be an innovation (bid'ah)?

Just Curious...

Salaam

[at]bolded: Interesting.

I'll wait.

Imperial1

[at]bolded: Interesting.

Not really. I realize that this medium makes large chunks of text difficult to read, so I was just trying to spare you from having to read *all* of this:

We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints, because of the hope laid up for you in heaven. Of this you have heard before in the word of the truth, the gospel, which has come to you, as indeed in the whole world it is bearing fruit and growing--as it also does among you, since the day you heard it and understood the grace of God in truth, just as you learned it from Epaphras our beloved fellow servant. He is a faithful minister of Christ on your behalf and has made known to us your love in the Spirit.

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

Colossians 1:3-20

I'll wait.

Thank you for your patience.

Salaam ME,

You appear to be a pretty smart gentleman "me" do you ever question the Trinity in the way the early church articulated the doctrine? Have you ever considered that it might be an innovation (bid'ah)?

Just Curious...

Salaam

Peace sadiq-illah,

If I appear to be smart it's because I quote smart people :D but thank you.

I would not call it an innovation. As has been expressed elsewhere, the trinity is theological shorthand attempting to contain the whole scripture. Jesus made several statements hinting at his divinity, received worship, and at his trial openly confessed that he was the son of the living God. Jesus told his disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. John was clear about who Jesus was, the word who was with God and was God. Peter said that by lying to the Holy Spirit, Ananias and Sapphira had not lied not to men but to God. So even before we get to Paul, we have strong arguments from the scripture of the divinity of Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

My little knowledge of the early church fathers has revealed that long before the Council of Nicea people were attempting to come to grips with what the gospel meant. They were confident that it had been faithfully passed down, so what did it mean? The concept of trinity was not cobbled together in some back room church council, but was the result of a centuries-long dialog of brilliant believers who would talk about the scriptures and the logical conclusions drawn from them.

You get quotes from people like Irenaeus of Lyons (born in the first half of the second century), who wrote "the Father is God, and the Son is God, for whatever is begotten of God is God." There are a number of them that have survived. In the attempt to figure it out, several men introduced heresies, and were excommunicated from the church when they refused to back down. For example . Sabellius (215 AD) believed in three faces of the same God, not three persons of one essence. He thus taught that God was of one indivisible substance, with three different functions in time. The Church rejected this and booted him in 220, more than 100 years before Nicea.

One other thought that intrigues me. The Jewish shema states "Hear oh israel, the Lord God is one." Why would God feel the need to say this to the Jews? If the trinity is false then this is a painfully obvious statement. Did the Jews of the Old Testament ever assume otherwise? Why are you telling us this God? If the trinity is correct, it becomes a revelation of profound mystery, fulfilled in Jesus Christ. We see the Father, we see the Son, we see the Holy Spirit. The gospels reveal Jesus. The book of Acts records the activity of the Spirit. Each has divine aspects. Three Gods? No, God is One. God is One. God is One. It becomes a holy mystery.

So no, not an innovation. It does no violence to the scriptures, but rather contains them as best it can, and if a believer is wise, he or she will not walk too deeply into it, because it is expressing mysteries about a God we cannot fully comprehend. Better to stick to the scriptures upon which the doctrine is based.

Not really. I realize that this medium makes large chunks of text difficult to read, so I was just trying to spare you from having to read *all* of this:

We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints, because of the hope laid up for you in heaven. Of this you have heard before in the word of the truth, the gospel, which has come to you, as indeed in the whole world it is bearing fruit and growing--as it also does among you, since the day you heard it and understood the grace of God in truth, just as you learned it from Epaphras our beloved fellow servant. He is a faithful minister of Christ on your behalf and has made known to us your love in the Spirit.

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

Colossians 1:3-20

Thank you for your patience.

Salaam,

Okay, nothing in this verse is telling me that Jesus is God or the Creator of all things.

Imperial1

Salaam,

Okay, nothing in this verse is telling me that Jesus is God or the Creator of all things.

Imperial1

Peace Imperial1,

We are truly from different worlds. No offence intended, but I am honestly quite surprised that you cannot see what seems plain to me.

The "he" the scripture refers to is Jesus, as the references to head of the church, firstborn from the dead, and the cross make plain.

Jesus as Creator: For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. Jesus not only created the world but sustains it as well.

Jesus as God: For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. Jesus is reconciling a sinful world to himself. That's the work of God.

I am curious how you interpret these verses.

All the best.

Peace Imperial1,

We are truly from different worlds. No offence intended, but I am honestly quite surprised that you cannot see what seems plain to me.

The "he" the scripture refers to is Jesus, as the references to head of the church, firstborn from the dead, and the cross make plain.

Salaam,

Head of the church as in "teacher?" Weren't all Prophets of Allah head of their followers? And if he's first born from the dead, then it's obvious he's not the son of God because God is not dead and never dies.

Jesus as Creator: For by him all things were created.

You never answered my question as to why something was created THROUGH him and not BY him. According to the scripture, it wasn't stated all things were created BY him.

Jesus as God: For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell

That quote is so polythiesic sounding.

I am curious how you interpret these verses.

All the best.

I'm using common logic to interpret the verses. None of those things are telling me Jesus is God. Now he may have been worshipped as God as he never asked to be worshipped either, but he has also never stated himself as being God almighty. Everytime someone comes to me with a biblical verse to try and prove otherwise, this same logic comes to mind and more questions are asked because it simply doesn't make sense.

Imperial1

Greetings of peace

As a believer in all sacred Scripture I do read the New Testament at times in addition to the Wise Qur'an. I must admit I am strongly inclined to continue studying the Qur'an upon reading the words of Jesus (a.s), whether or not the passage is reliable. I can understand the fact that Christ has lead many wondering souls to Islam. The prediction of the coming of the Comforter in the Gospel of John is among the greatest of prophecies.

I have also learned that Christian thought has evolved over time in support of the Pauline creed. This is crucial in order to attempt to counter monotheistic arguments directed towards Christianity. Unfortunately, countless Muslims continue to resort to ancient Islamic/Jewish arguments that appear weak to many modern Christians.

As an example, one may inquire as to why Christ refused to affirm his divinity if he was indeed God in flesh. A modern Christian debater might argue that just as the Qur'an was revealed over a 23 year period of time, likewise was it with the divinity of Jesus, for his companions could not digest it all at once. Therefore, the Christian mind continues to evolve and present new, interesting theories against those who question their doctrines. Growing up in a predominantly Christian environment has helped me fully grasp this faith.

Prophet Jesus, a mystical master, was misunderstood by his community. His people were not at his holy level, and thus unable to comprehend the meaning of his words and teachings. The Qur'an calls him the 'Spirit of God.' A spirit cleared of blasphemous, ungodly Jewish allegations. Literalism, in terms of interpreting Prophetic mysticism, is the error of Christianity, abhored by Prophets of old. Surely if it were the reverse, Muhammad (saas), the final Messenger, would not have failed to uphold anthropomorphic theism. Inevitably, mankind will come to know the true Messiah upon his awaited return to Earth. His second coming will be a sign of the Last Day: The Day of Yawheh (Allah).

Regards,

Joseph

Edited by Joseph

That quote is so polythiesic sounding.

:D

u are right ...check out the concepts of the hinduism and other pagan religions...their fundamentals are indwelling,incarnation etc ...

Hi

The verse is asking u to seek forgivness for the polytheism committed in the past by a trinitarian

how do we know jesus and mohammed are not really the same prophet?

how do we know jesus and mohammed are not really the same prophet?

Mohammed peace and blessing be upon him lived in present day saudi arabia and u can see his grave there! ..and there are books(other than Qura'n and the hadith) on his life still extant today which were compiled more than 1200 years ago which themselves were from earlier books and there are lots of works on his life which detail everything from how he dealt with his wives,companions,children,inst

ucting them in religon and social life and everything u need to know about a person

I guess u know who jesus already is and clearly they are not the same .

The following links might be of interest

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.learn-Islam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/showthread.php?p=479#post479"]Response to a question about Jesus from a christian[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.learn-Islam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/showthread.php?t=85"]Qura'n on 'Eesa(Jesus) and Maryam (Peace be upon them)[/url]

Edited by al-malabari

phew interesting debate but the more i read the more i'm convinced that Islam is the truth and the only truth

the things i dont get about christianity:

why does god NEED to have a son

why did god NEED to come as a human in order to relate to his people (referring to a claim made by a christian on the bbc doc 'did jesus die')

why did god NEED to be killed for mans sins

why does GOD need to be a trinity - in a world full of idolatory and ignorance why did god want to confuse the people by declaring 3 facets of himself

why does god NEED to do anything - God is God the very meaning of which is allmighty, all knowing, the beginning, the end.

surely it makes more sense for god to send a MAN who people can relate to and emulate in order to follow the path ordained by their lord

chrisitians seem to go on defending their beliefs on the basis that they bring them happiness, solace, rehabilitation etc etc in refutation of Islams logic, reason, science. Well so does friendship, love, parenthood, sport,- bring happiness, does that mean we should all seek to worship football? (though i have some friends guilty of this!)

im no scholar and my knowledge on christianity as well as Islam is limited but for me chrisitianity just doesnt have he answers for the above important questions

Hey heres a thought if Jesus is God and if God is a creator then why in the hell did he pick being a carpenter?? I mean come on he didnt even make anything new?? what type of god is this?? hey the didnt have deodorant back then , sooooooooo gods armpits was stinking some days?? he also ate food did his poo poo smell like roses ??? Hey wait a minute Jesus was a baby and if he is God then god sucked on breast. wow!! not only that Jesus mother was not married according to the Bible, so god was a ###### child?? wow!! Wait wait god came out of a vagina?? He was the first to touch this virgins vagina??

These are nasty thoughts of God that should not enter your mind about God. This shows you that this is not of God that Jesus cannot be God. if he is God then explain my questions

why did god NEED to come as a human in order to relate to his people (referring to a claim made by a christian on the bbc doc 'did jesus die')

why does GOD need to be a trinity - in a world full of idolatory and ignorance why did god want to confuse the people by declaring 3 facets of himself

why does god NEED to do anything - God is God the very meaning of which is allmighty, all knowing, the beginning, the end.

and why did God need to pray?

in addition to what had been posted above.

:sl: people missed my post here

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=1449&st=40&start=40"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic...40&start=40[/url]

read please its a stand upon this topic

phew interesting debate but the more i read the more i'm convinced that Islam is the truth and the only truth

Asalamu'alakum,

As I understand it Christianity is a bit more complex with regard to the person of Jesus than just 'Allah in a skin suit'. If we are going to discuss this topic we should be fair and honest with them concerning their teaching of Jesus as 'son of God'.

Our best historical source for this answer is the Christian Saint Athanasius of Alexandria and his work "On the Incarnation". Maybe it's on the internet somewhere... Christians? Any of you have access to this text?

The point of Athanasius' work was to illuminate the Christian teaching of the Incarnation (i.e. God in the flesh as Jesus 'the' Christ). In it he articulates a 'need' for the Logos to 'restore' man to 'participation in the Divine Nature' which originally afforded all mankind with immortality. This participation was lost during the Fall in the Garden of Eden and man had continued to suffer under the yoke of Death and the bonds of Satan since until the Logos entered into Creation as the 'divine nature' in unity with Jesus' "human nature' to heal this rift between God and Man.

In reading Athanasius, one gets the impression that the crucifixion wasn't the primary necessity for this 'restoration', which was fulfilled in the very act of the Incarnation, but it was necessary to break the reign of Death and the bonds of Satan over humanity in order to allow them access to a renewed participation in the Godhead (i.e. Trinity).

I think I explained that above.

A sign of the times, Blood paid for Blood in both Paganism and Judaism. There was and is a real sense that Blood (i.e. loss) was necessary to restore covenant with God.

The Christian teaching of Trinity isn't '3 facets of God' but God in 3 persons. As best as I can understand it, this is wrapped up in Neo-Platonism of their time.

Within Platonistic thought (see Plotinus) a truly 'transcendent' God as the Platonist's understand the "prime-mover" to be, the One could have absolutely 'no' interaction with creation. This is not unlike our own Islamic understanding of a transcendence of Allah. In fact, a great deal of our mysticism stems from Neo-Platonist thought. The Platonist's thought of creation as 'emanations' coming from the Mind of God. These emanations have a certain perfection and similarity to the One who emanates them (i.e. God) and so have, in a certain sense, being-hood do the be closeness to that perfect being who emanates. The first emanation, the Logos is literally God thinking of Himself. The fact that God is so perfect at thinking of Himself, the Greeks thought that this emanation was a mirror likeness of God in every way except for it's 'begotten-ness'. See the similarities with the Trinity here? So the Logos was that emanation of God which actually did all the 'heavy lifting' and 'touched' Creation. The third emanation is known as the World-Mind and it in a real sense is the 'Active Will of God' manifested in Creation. This World-Mind is the product of the generous affection overflowing between the One and the Logos... sounds like the Holy-Spirit right! Yeah, that's right because it is. The point is, Christianity was a nexus between the most advanced Philosophy of the day and the oldest religion known in the Greek world (Judaism). If we are familar with their Scriptures you can even see this within Paul's letters as he describes Jesus as the 'cornerstone' between the Greeks and the Jews.

I'm not sure why you asked this question. Christians are taught that God made creation for communion. At least, that is the classic teaching. I don't know what they teach themselves today?

surely it makes more sense for god to send a MAN who people can relate to and emulate in order to follow the path ordained by their lord

The tradition Christian teaching is that man had fallen and literally shared immortality with God. This restoration required unity between God and Man and the overthrow of Death and the reign of Satan over man which required Jesus to die and defeat death and break the bonds of hell in the sign of resurrection. This is why they demand the death and resurrection of Christ.

chrisitians seem to go on defending their beliefs on the basis that they bring them happiness, solace, rehabilitation etc etc in refutation of Islams logic, reason, science. Well so does friendship, love, parenthood, sport,- bring happiness, does that mean we should all seek to worship football? (though i have some friends guilty of this!)

im no scholar and my knowledge on christianity as well as Islam is limited but for me chrisitianity just doesnt have he answers for the above important questions

The most compelling argument I've heard from them is 'participation in the Divine Nature' only God is immortal and so it is reasonable to argue that only by sharing in His attributes is His creation immortal.

One of the major doctrines and themes of the Bible is the revelation of Jesus as God. The name Jesus is in fact the same name that God in the Old Testament used to reveal himself to people such as Moses, Abraham, and many others. Jesus means "Jehovah Savior." In the Old Testament, Jehovah God revealed many of his characteristics through names. For example, the name Jehovah-jireh (the Lord my provider) was revealed to Abraham when Jehovah provided a ram for him and his son Isaac, seconds (presumably) before Abraham was about to offer Isaac as a burnt sacrifice. (Genesis 22) He wanted to show that he was "the Lord that provides." When he revealed Jesus or "the Lord that saves" he wanted to show that characteristic of his personality. That is one reason why I believe that Jesus was God.

Why do not Muslims believe that Jesus was God? Is it stated in the Qur'an? How do Muslims know that Jesus was not God in the flesh? Is it impossible for God to take a form that is visible to humans? Is it impossible to see God? Can God not do something? Why do Muslims believe what they believe? God bless!

Jesus was our profet but the bible is wrong in 1 thing about Jesus

god says to his people: i am the only god thou shall have no other gods ecxept me but they still thinks Jesus is god its not!

I firmly believe that Jesus is a messenger of Allah (God) according to Islam so Jesus is not God. Are there any Christians want to debate with me?

I am a Christian that believes firmly that Jesus is a messenger of Eloah (God) according to the Bible and therefore not God. I guess you can't debate with me.