Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheBurk

What Am I Exactly?

ok, first im not sure if it belongs here, im new as you can see so please forgive me. anyway

i came very close to converting shortly after watching the movie "the passion of the christ" i thought it was one of the worst movies ever made. the thing that kept repeating in my head was "how could someone get christs message so wrong?" i am still a christian, because i reached the conclusion that i should try to reform christianity, not abandon it. i do not believe in the trinity. i believe in evolution, i believe in the prophets of all the holy books, i still go to church (im a united methodist) but i believe that the quran is the only truely holy book. i still however follow the teachings of christ. ive essentialy built my own religeon by meshing ideas for judiasm, Islam and christianity. so what am i exactly? am i a half convert?

PropellerAds

:D

A Muslim follows the true teachings of Jesus (as), Allah sent Muhammad (saw) with the same message that Jesus (as) brought.

A Muslim follows Jesus (as) more correctly than a Christian.

SAy There is no God but Allah and the Prophet MUhammad SAllalahu alayhi wassalam was HIs last and final messenger. Jesus is not God.

Peace, burk!

Welcome to Gawaher! I was in the same position as you before I converted. I considered myself a monotheist (hanifa). It's like that stage in between where you read up on Islam and you know it's the truth, but it's such a huge step that you take a few months to truly digest it all. My friends are very accepting, so when they asked me what I believed in, I said that I was a cross between Jew, Christian, and Muslim. I gradually quit drinking and stopped eating pork. I would set aside some money for the poor once in a while. It was all transitional (sp?)

Basically, it's like you believe in all things that make you a muslim, but you just haven't said your shahadah. You believe in one God, no trinity, you believe in Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them) Take it step by step; see if you can fast during Ramadan or pray whichever way you want, as long as it is to Allah (God). It gives you a taste of being a Muslim.

:D Allah will keep you on the straight path.

Your Friend

Jibrael

Peace Burk! :D

If you also accept Muhammad as the final Messenger and Prophet of God the Exalted, then you are a Muslim even though you might consider yourself a Christian.

The word 'Muslim' is used for anyone who believes in the Divine Oneness of the Lord, His Prophets and His Revelations. 'Islam' means Submission to the Will of God. Jesus(pbuh) was Muslim, as were all other Messengers. A true Christian, or follower of Christ(pbuh), is a follower of Muhammad(pbuh).

Muslims do not reject the Prophetic teachings of any Prophet, including Christ, so your accepting Islam would not result in abandoning Jesus and his teachings. To embrace Islam is to embrace the Way of Jesus(pbuh), for Jesus had said:

"I have yet many things to say unto you, but you cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of Truth, is come, he will guide you into all Truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you." (John 16:7-14)

Allah Almighty has stated in His Book:

"Say you: 'We believe in Allah, and the Revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) Prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to Allah (in Islam).' " (Qur'an 2:136)

"The Religion before Allah is Islam (submission to His Will): Nor did the People of the Book dissent therefrom except through envy of each other, after knowledge had come to them. But if any deny the Signs of Allah, Allah is swift in calling to account." (Surah 3:19)

And,

"O you who believe! Enter into Islam whole-heartedly; and follow not the footsteps of the Evil One(Satan); for he is to you an avowed enemy." (Surah 2:208)

SAy There is no God but Allah and the Prophet MUhammad SAllalahu alayhi wassalam was HIs last and final messenger. Jesus is not God.

i dont agree that the prophet was the last, didnt the quran say a prophet will be sent to every nation? and i never said christ was god, infact i specificly said i do not believe in the trinity.

Peace, burk!

Welcome to Gawaher! I was in the same position as you before I converted. I considered myself a monotheist (hanifa). It's like that stage in between where you read up on Islam and you know it's the truth, but it's such a huge step that you take a few months to truly digest it all. My friends are very accepting, so when they asked me what I believed in, I said that I was a cross between Jew, Christian, and Muslim. I gradually quit drinking and stopped eating pork. I would set aside some money for the poor once in a while. It was all transitional (sp?)

Basically, it's like you believe in all things that make you a muslim, but you just haven't said your shahadah. You believe in one God, no trinity, you believe in Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them) Take it step by step; see if you can fast during Ramadan or pray whichever way you want, as long as it is to Allah (God). It gives you a taste of being a Muslim.

:D Allah will keep you on the straight path.

Your Friend

Jibrael

i dont think i will, not because i dont want to, id love to, but, i feel i have work to do in regards to christianity. if america is to be saved extremeism must go, and if i say that as a muslim, the people who i am talking to who are already prejudice against jews and muslims will be less likely to listen to me. christ was sent as a jew to revise judiasm, if he had come as a zoroastrian they wouldnt have listend to him, do you see what i am saying?

i dont agree that the prophet was the last, didnt the quran say a prophet will be sent to every nation? and i never said christ was god, infact i specificly said i do not believe in the trinity.

No, the Quran does not state that. Prophet Muhammed(peace be upon him) was the last of all Prophet's to come. Isa (Jesus) shall return to save mankind but not as a Prophet. :D

No, the Quran does not state that. Prophet Muhammed(peace be upon him) was the last of all Prophet's to come. Isa (Jesus) shall return to save mankind but not as a Prophet. :D

Just to add to what the sister has written, he (on him be peace) will follow Islam and will be led in prayer by Mehdi (on him be peace), and will give the real message to all people present. Those who accept Islam will be with him, and those who insist on their own corrupted doctrines will be killed.

i dont think i will, not because i dont want to, id love to, but, i feel i have work to do in regards to christianity. if america is to be saved extremeism must go, and if i say that as a muslim, the people who i am talking to who are already prejudice against jews and muslims will be less likely to listen to me. christ was sent as a jew to revise judiasm, if he had come as a zoroastrian they wouldnt have listend to him, do you see what i am saying?

What do you consider to be more important, the life of this world, or God and your fate in the Hereafter? Remember that it is possible to 'save America from extremism', and 'to do work in regards to Christianity', as a Muslim. Muhammad(peace be upon him) was sent as a Muslim to the Arab pagans, and they eventually came to believe in his message. It took years, but God did guide them to Himself. Most of the Prophets were sent with a message different than that of their people. Moses, Noah, and Abraham(peace be upon them).

Think about it, and remember the words of God:

If anyone desires a Religion other than Islam (submission to Allah), never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good). (Qur'an 3:85)

Peace, burk!

Your Friend

Jibrael

I found it interesting that you said you went through a transitional period before reverting to Islam. I too, seem to be in a transition period. I consider myself a monotheist, and I agree with many of Islam's core tenents (daily prayer, fasting, obligatory charity, etc.). I'm also extremely attracted to Islam because I believe that out of every other religious system on earth, Islam is a truly comprehensive system of belief. I have never tasted a drop of alcohol, and I am trying to abstain from pork. Being brought up in a secularized, consumerism-drivin lifestyle however, it's sometimes hard to make that leap. But I am getting closer. :D

*It is interesting to note that what initially led me to Islam, as an international-politics student, was it's unity of the religious and political spheres.

I found it interesting that you said you went through a transitional period before reverting to Islam. I too, seem to be in a transition period. I consider myself a monotheist, and I agree with many of Islam's core tenents (daily prayer, fasting, obligatory charity, etc.). I'm also extremely attracted to Islam because I believe that out of every other religious system on earth, Islam is a truly comprehensive system of belief. I have never tasted a drop of alcohol, and I am trying to abstain from pork. Being brought up in a secularized, consumerism-drivin lifestyle however, it's sometimes hard to make that leap. But I am getting closer. :D

*It is interesting to note that what initially led me to Islam, as an international-politics student, was it's unity of the religious and political spheres.

Peace Metapolitik!

First of all, let me welcome you to the Forum. I pray that your stay here is fruitful.

There are quite a few brothers and sisters on this Forum, who took the leap, and are happy with their excellent decision. I feel it would be appropriate for you to interact with them. Open a new thread in Q&A for non-Muslims and ask whatever you want to clear. Apparently, you are standing next to the pool and are hesitating to jump in. Usual beginners fright. But, rest assured, you will be happy when you get in. It is not a religion as you have rightly mentioned. It is a complete way of life; the way our Creator wants us to live in this world, and become successfull.

Peace out