Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swanlake

Fitness Classes Without Music?

:D

I am enquiring this for a sister who is martial arts instructor. She is teaching classes for muslim sisters however can she do this without music? What other options are open for her?

Jazakallahu Kheyr

PropellerAds

Depends on yout point of view, if you think Music is haram 100% then obviously no.

If you think Music is haram depending on content then depending on what she plays, it should be ok. Let me guess, survivor "eye of the tiger"? LOL

I would say she should use instrumental music, no words.

Some sisters dont mind the music and some dont. So to compromise, it would be better for them all not to use music with instruments.

I cant see how nasheeds will replace music when it comes to these classes.

Definetaly not 'eye of the tiger' lol

Perhaps rap with nice (not offensive) lyrics and drums ?

The music has to match the mood and activity. I'm note sure if nasheeds qualify, maybe jihadi ones?

Can she try without music for a couple of sessions and see how it affects the class?

I actually did tell her and she said it can be done without music.

There wont be music now.

For those sisters (sisters in London and maybe Luton) interested, this is the email i received from her after i enquired about the classes:

"I am just about to start a class in Camden. There are 15 sisters committed to attending. The event will be held in community hall. We will have the lesson for 1hr and 30min and the fees for the members will be £4 per session (if the group decides to have more sessions than once a week, we can discuss it later). Obviously i will pay for the community halls charge. It is also likely that I will start class in East london (Walthamstow, Manor Park, Ilford) and few from Willesden and Harrow where many sisters have shown interest. They are gathering few sisters now. So if you are closer to any of those areas, then inshallah you can join us.

However if these areas arent close to where you live, I can come to your local if you can gather 15-20 sisters wherever you are in London, inshallah we can set up a class there. Renting church halls or community halls is quite easy if you know the area well. Some sisters have mentioned that there is gym (muslim ones) at their local where there are only male karate classes. They suggested that they would have a word with the management and ask whether they can start classes for women only.

I have studied both Shotokan Karate and Goju Ryu Karate upto black belt level.

If you have further questions, pls ask away. "

Forgot to include her email:

siskenza[at]yahoo.co.uk

sis, how bout get somebody to play a drum while the fitness class is takin place.lol... im only kiddin!!! :D :D

according to my humble point of view (to the best possible way :D ), music is haraam, hence, it shouldnt be applied. See how it goes though sis...

Assalamu'Alikum,

Masha'Allah this is excellent!! Insha'Allah I will get my imaginery wife to go to this!! Lolz...

By the way please look out for the cameras and security guards when in such halls and swimming for "sisters only." The guards normally perv on the sisters who obviously take Hijab off....It has been reported.

Fee Amanillah.

don't put her email here, she'll get spammed!

change the [at] to and " at "

thats nice mash'Allah!

we should get female only horse back riding and female only archery since its sunnah and we can all become mujahideen! ^_^

Music is haram, there should be no debate on this topic.

:D for that response. Its funny when people debate about stuff that is haram..

we should get female only horse back riding and female only archery since its sunnah...

...and a female only war?

We don't have to take purdah to extremes, that's why there is hijab.

I think you have taken a literal interpretation of the Sunnah there. The Prophet (peace be upon him) did mention for us to master the art of throwing, as in air superiority. Also the Muslims at the time employed tactics used by non-Muslims at the time. So training should incorporate the latest techniques.

thats nice mash'Allah!

we should get female only horse back riding and female only archery since its sunnah and we can all become mujahideen! ^_^

i am trained in riding a horse since i was 14- trust me its fun- especially wen i used to race wit my brothers and sisters and wen my sis fell off it- soooo funny!

yeah sis, i think it'd be a good idea to have female only horse back riding- :D

ws

Which country are you from? It's rare in the Uk unless you are rich.

You have to pay around £100/session/hour. Not only that you have to "muck out", so basically you are paying to clean up the horse's .....

im from the UK but my father took my family to Alabama to this stable, i think it was called Bridelwood or something. Down there they had horses to ride and it was a really good experience!

I wouldnt say im 'rich' and i dont think i ever want to be 'rich'. but my family are middle class thats why we just about afforded to go horse riding.

:D :D

...and a female only war?

I think you have taken a literal interpretation of the Sunnah there. The Prophet (peace be upon him) did mention for us to master the art of throwing, as in air superiority. Also the Muslims at the time employed tactics used by non-Muslims at the time. So training should incorporate the latest techniques.

had to look the word purdah up :D The Prophet :D said to “Teach your children swimming, archery and horse-riding.” Thats why I said we should learn them...

Ya latest techniques should be used I know (cant be bow and arrows vs machine guns LOL) we'd be ownneddddd...

and no no not a female only war... we be fighting along with the men too and against the enemies men (however Ive seen mujahida only groups before mash'Allah!)

B) Insha'Allah

Assalamu'Alikum,

comments like that really get to me!! Suban'Allah, in our prophets(SWS) time women and men use to walk on different sides of the road!! Segregation is a good thing and it only helps to constrain Fitnah!! It is not extreme if there is a FEMALE only fitness club...Suban'Allah...When are we going to learn...maybe when our wifes, daughters and sisters do something silly...then we look back at our comments or say...its the "In Thing..." or something!!

Fee Amanillah.

Can we not let every thread descend into an argument? Jazakoumu allahu kheyr.

Sis swanlake that is excellent mashaAllah. I did karate from 5-10 then I stopped cos the classes where mixed. I would have loved to have the facilities to carry it on. I think there are so many opportunities for things like this in london, sometimes i feel like packing my bags and moving down there...i'm sure my family would come along too..lol.

I don't think she needs music for a martial arts class, as when i used to do it we never had any sort of background music, and it was great.

I congratulate her on her efforts though, she is doing a great thing. I wish I could get her to come up to my village and teach me some moves...lol!