Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Habdisullah

Islamic Birth Rituals

Asalaam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

I am having a very difficult time trying to find sound information regarding the Fiqh of Birth. If anyone knowledgable in this subject area could please provide me with any reference (fatwa, articles, books, audio, etc) I would be very grateful. JazakAllahu Khairun.

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaikum, Below you can find a question similar to what you have asked and the answer to it. I hope it will help you. Assalamu alaikum.

Question

Could you please explain what are the things we need to take care according to Sharia for a new born baby (Boy/Girl), just after his birth onwards?

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

When a child is born, the first thing that should be done is to call out the Azaan in the right ear and Iqaamah in the left ear. There are four things mentioned in the Ahadith that are Sunnah to be done on the seventh day:

1. Name the child with a good meaning.

2. Make Aqeeqah for the child that is to slaughter 2 goats or sheep for a boy and 1 sheep or goat for a girl.

3. Shave the hair of the child.

4. Weigh the hair that has been shaven off and give sadaqah (charity) equivalent to the weight of the hair. (Tirmidhi, vol.1, chapter on Aqeeqah).

It is Sunnah to make Tahneek, i.e. place something sweet that has been chewed preferably by some pious person in the mouth of the baby.

It is not necessary to do the circumcision on the seventh day. However, it is preferable to do it as early as possible.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetaskimam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fatwa/fatwa.php?askid=23032fb4e33a0f095b5cbab16cacfe29"]Birth Rituals Accorcing To Sunnah:[/url]

Asalaam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh Aunitie

JazakAllahu Khairun for the reply. I do have a few questions though:

1. Is the Shahada also whispered? And what is the evidence behind the Iqamah?
  2. How does one weigh hair?

Assalamu Alaikum, This is what I have read and am passing on to you, hopefully it will help you.

Adhan includes the Shahadah, so Shahada does not need to be whispered seperately. what is in the Fatwa is according to the Sunnah, so apart from that if anyone wants to repeat the Shahadah and read other duaas, then it would be fine as long as they do not think it is compulsory to do it.

I am sorry, but I could not find out the significance for saying the the Iqamaah

Adhan (Call of Prayer) and Iqamah may be said in the child’s ears,

In the right ear of the new-born baby, the Adhan may be recited, and in the left ear, the iqamah This is done immediately after the baby is bathed. On the birth of Sayyidna Hasan to Sayyidah Fatimah (Radhiallaho Anha) the Noble Prophet,(Sallallaho alaihe Wasallam) had said the Adhan in his ear. (Abu Dawood and Tirmizi.)

Hafiz ibn Qiyyim (Radhiallaho Anho) says the significance of saying the Adhan and the iqamah in the ears of the child is that the first words he hears declare the greatness and majesty of Allah. The words of testimony are those which a man recites on embracing Islam. In other words, this is a pronouncement of the creed of Islam. Besides, at the sound of Adhan and iqamah, Satan distances himself. At this early age, the child is thus invited to Allah the Majestic, to Islam and to the worship of Allah. This call forestalls temptation by Satan and ensures an unblemished faith. Moreover, it is a forearming against Satan and temptation.

The hair of the new born even if their head is full of long hair is so difficult to weigh, the weight is almost insignificant. The Sunnah is to give equal weight of silver or money with which you can buy equal weight of Silver and give in charity. It is safe to give a little more, so we should give an amount with which we are satisfied.

Assalamu Alaikum.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=7889&ln=eng"]Islamic actions for welcoming a new baby[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?cref=371&ln=eng"]‘Aqeeqah and rulings on the new-born[/url]