How To Pray

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 dot

dot
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:17 AM

Assalamo alaikum :sl:

To perform your daily prayers, you first need to learn how to say a few Quran verses in Arabic. Memorizing 2 small chapters is all you need as a new Muslim.

1- In Each rak'aa, we should say the first chapter, called "Al-Fatihah". It consists of only 7 small verses.
To memorize it, and understand the meanings as you do, please go here:
http://www.allahsqur...arn/#s1d7q1t0p1
Each word has its meaning in English under it, plus you can click at any word to listen to how to say it in Arabic.

2- following Al-Fatihah, we should say a few verses from any other chapter. The best here is chapter 112, called "Al-Ikhlas", which consists of only 4 verses.
To memorize it, and understand the meanings as you do, please go here:
http://www.allahsqur...n/#s112d7q1t0p1
Each word has its meaning in English under it, plus you can click at any word to listen to how to say it in Arabic.

Once you learn how to say those 2 small chapters in Arabic, What's left now is to learn the tashahud.
Please go here to learn How to say the tashahud

Now you're all set to proceed. Learn how to perform a prayer:

Watch this flash movie which guides you, step by step, on how to pray:
http://www.islamicfinder.com/prayer/

or http://english.islam...er/BegSound.htm

Remember: before praying, you need to perform ablution.

Click here to learn How To Perform Ablution (wudu) Before Praying: http://www.gawaher.c...showtopic=42631

#2 zukiful

zukiful

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, internet, fishing, bowhunting, watching cricket, rugby, boxing.

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:13 AM

:D

saalam dot. you are a legend mate! thats the best guide for me at present. i can practice at home and learn more at the Masjid on fridays.

thanks mate.

#3 Sister_Truth

Sister_Truth

QuEeN Of MuNcHKiN LaNd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:23 AM

jazaakAllah khair for that bro dot...insha'Allah it will be useful for new muslims.

#4 yasi_786

yasi_786

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

Jazakallah khair bro dot thats the best guide for all of us Thnx a lot with such things we all will lear lots
Assalamu alaikum

#5 RESPECT_GYAL

RESPECT_GYAL

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Religion: Christianity

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:04 PM

well as i am not a muslim i am a chrstain i am planing on to revert will be handy if i do to thank you ever so much

regards,
samantha

#6 Ryo_Akiski

Ryo_Akiski

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Islam, Video Games, reading/writing, Nasheed, Anime

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

why won't the link work for me.

#7 Ahmed Badri

Ahmed Badri

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

I've been a muslim all my life but this is very useful!

#8 MiSsi

MiSsi

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

salam, i'm born a muslim, but i don't know how to pray. i'd really like to learn that if anyone of you wud like to help me i wud appreicate that :D

#9 umAhmad

umAhmad

Community Leader

• Support Team
  • 5,582 posts
  • Interests:To Learn and Teach knowledge of the Deen of Islam. I love Children.

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:03 AM

Assalamu Alaikum MiSsi, Check the link Br. dot provided in the first post above. InshaAllah that should help you. Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

#10 abd_ar_Rahmaan

abd_ar_Rahmaan

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:13 AM

why won't the link work for me.

Double that. Dot, the video is not working. It's like a continuous loading process. Any suggestions, in shaa Allaah.

#11 Maysun

Maysun

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:18 AM

The link won't worlk for me :D

#12 believer6

believer6

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:07 AM

I as well been born a muslim but i don't now how to pray. I did memorized all that was said at [img]islamway[img] but it does not say the end of it (which is the part when you are on your nees. Is there some sort of audio player so i can listen it on and memorize it like that? I want to put it on my mp3 so if you can find a none vidio salah that will be helpfull.

#13 Moises

Moises

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Religion: Believer without religion

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:07 AM

do you have to say the prayers in arab? or can you say it in english

#14 umAhmad

umAhmad

Community Leader

• Support Team
  • 5,582 posts
  • Interests:To Learn and Teach knowledge of the Deen of Islam. I love Children.

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:48 AM

Assalamu Alaikum Br. Moises, the Formal Prayer/Salat has to be said in Arabic, The Duaa/Suplications can be said in any language. Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

#15 islamy

islamy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:I like playing football and watching it aswell, I also love reciting the THE HOLY QURAN

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

Alhamdulilah

#16 Imaan_

Imaan_

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:I love writing &amp; learning. I'm a typical teenage girl who loves being with her friends. I'm addicted to clothes and shopping :p I'm a big, huge peacemaker. I love peace and unity as one.<br /><br />I recently converted to Islam &amp; I love being a Muslimah :D I try and read the Qur'an everyday. I am adjusting to living in an Islamic way. And everyone here at Gawaher has helped me alot :)

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:25 AM

Salam.
That's great & so helpful.

Thank you so much for posting!

#17 sickle

sickle

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:05 AM

I just attempted my first prayer by myself, Isha. I am not sure I got it right though.... :sl:

I know I got the motions right because I have been going to the Masjid everyday since my Shahada to try and learn. But the recitation is still a bit hard for me.

#18 RAHIMI

RAHIMI

• PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:49 AM

I just attempted my first prayer by myself, Isha. I am not sure I got it right though.... :sl:

I know I got the motions right because I have been going to the Masjid everyday since my Shahada to try and learn. But the recitation is still a bit hard for me.

:sl:
For recitation you could try this method:
Go here, (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetmemorize-quran(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetmemorize-quran(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url] read the basic instructions there & download the mp3 of a few basic chapters: Chapter1 & Chapter 95++
What these brothers did was to break up the chapter into a few segments of perhaps 2 to 4 verses each. You can listen to each segment over and over until you can recite it with confidence..
-Whenever you have time, go to the Masjid and get the brothers there to listen to what you have learnt and ask them to correct your pronunciation etc..
-There is also a small flash program downloadable from download section here on how to pronounce arabic letters..learn that as well as that will make learning easier (listening and reading)
Hope this helps..

#19 EasternQibla

EasternQibla

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:23 AM

do you have to say the prayers in arab? or can you say it in english

I would like to 'second' this question, albeit more generally:

Why do you need to say your prayers in Arabic? I did read that in the early days of Islaam people were allowed to pray in Persian.

Also, in Islaam I suppose you ask God for help generally, outside of official prayer times. Can this be in your native tongue too?

Probably silly question: does Allaah accept prayers in Arabic better than in other languages, or does he look into the heart of the one praying?

Richard

#20 Mohammed Amine

Mohammed Amine

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

Salamu Aleikom:

The Five Ritual prayers(Salat) must be in arabic, Since the Quran is Arabic , you can't use a translation.
But You can do dua during the Salat in your own tongue.
Duaa(supplications) Can be in any language.

The words you say During The salat are not too complicated, it is better to say them in arabic because some of them have a long meaning that cannot be translated easily in any language
I ll try to translate some of the Key Words

ALLAHU AKBAR : GOD IS THE GREATES
Subhana Rabia Al 'Azim : Exalted (be and far is He from any low qualites) my Lord The The Magnificent
Subhana Rabia Al 'Ala : Exalted (be and far is He from any low qualites) my Lord The Most-High
Sami'aa Allahu Liman hamidah : Allah Hears To Those who Praise Him
Rabbana Wa Laka Al Hamd : Our Lord To You Be All Praise

I suggest That U start to Memorize these.