Islamic Forum
zukiful

Hamas Victory In Palestinian Poll ?!

:D

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17947412-23109,00.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17947412-23109,00.html[/url]

THE European Commission, reacting to an apparent victory by the militant Hamas movement in Palestinian parliamentary elections, said today it would work with any Palestinian government that used peaceful means.

"It is clear that Hamas has really got a very large proportion of the vote," European External Relations Commissioner Benita Ferrero-Waldner told a European Parliament committee before official results were announced.

"What is important is that we state we are happy to work with any government if that government is prepared to work by peaceful means," she said.

Advertisement:

The 25-nation European Union is the biggest provider of aid to the Palestinian Authority. The Commission is its executive arm, but has limited influence on foreign policy.

PropellerAds

Thursday, 26 January 2006, 09:30 GMT

"Palestinian PM quits after poll

Hamas' strong showing has caused consternation in israel and the US

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei has announced his resignation, saying Hamas must form the next government following the parliamentary elections.

It comes as the militant Islamic group appeared to be heading for a shock win.

With counting still under way, officials from the ruling Fatah party said Hamas had won a majority. Official results are due at 1900 local time.

israel, the US and the EU consider Hamas a terrorist group and have said they do not want to deal with it.

"I am going to present my resignation to President Abu Mazen [Mahmoud Abbas] and Hamas should form the [new] government," Mr Qurei told journalists, according to AFP news agency.

Hours before official results were due to be released, Fatah officials conceded that Hamas had won the elections.

Hamas claimed it had won at least 70 seats in the 132-member parliament.

The BBC's Jon Leyne in Jerusalem says a victory for Hamas would present a huge challenge for israel and the international community and for Hamas itself.

He says many believe the militant movement would be more comfortable as the major opposition party rather than having power thrust on it at the first attempt.

With victory looming, senior Hamas official Mushir al-Masri said the group wanted to work with Fatah in a "political partnership".

But he said Hamas would not hold peace talks with israel.

"Negotiations with israel is not on our agenda," he said.

"Recognising israel is not on the agenda either now." "

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4649606.stm"]BBC[/url]

Both Hamas and israel conceeded they will hold talks if Hamas wins.

But for now, each will take a hardline to reassure their people.

Yesterday on Sky news, a reporter was at the pooling booth and pointed at a group of women dressed with niqaab, claiming this is what Palestine will become if Hamas wins the election!

The pro-israeli media will milk Hamas' victory for all it's worth!

Thursday, 26 January 2006, 09:30 GMT

"Palestinian PM quits after poll

It comes as the militant Islamic group appeared to be heading for a shock win.

"Recognising israel is not on the agenda either now." "

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4649606.stm"]BBC[/url]

Peace Eoin,

A shock win?

For years Middle East experts have forecasted that if Hamas were allowed to partake in a democratic and unmolested election they would do very well. Why is it a sudden surprise now?

if indeed hamas gonna win the election, it gonna show PALESTINIANS view the group as their saviour and not as militants much less terrorists as being painted by the us, israel and eu. as such the trio should welcome hamas expected victory with an open mind and a big heart :D

if indeed hamas gonna win the election, it gonna show PALESTINIANS view the group as their saviour and not as militants much less terrorists as being painted by the us, israel and eu.

very true tom

as such the trio should welcome hamas expected victory with an open mind and a big heart :D

as for the US & israel, they've already stated that if Hamas wins, they won't deal with them

"A political party, in order to be viable, is one that professes peace, in my judgement, in order that it will keep the peace," Mr Bush told the Wall Street Journal.

Hamas deserve the win more than any other party.

Guest amani

and theyve won (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4650788.stm"]read here :D[/url]

"A political party, in order to be viable, is one that professes peace, in my judgement, in order that it will keep the peace," Mr Bush told the Wall Street Journal.

lol, here comes the big peace maker giving us a speach about peace.

According to all initial indications from international observers, the electoral process was conducted in a fair and democratic fashion.

Although i'm dissapointed that they have chosen this particular group, i'm glad the palestinians have had the opportunity to elect their own representatives.

If Hamas are willing to enter into international dialogue with regards to the middle-east peace process, then i can't see why the EU should not continue to provide financial support to the palestinian people.

There is obviously going to be a little sabre-rattling to begin with, hopefully simple diplomacy will ensure this does not escalate.

I do however get the feeling that the palestinians may have shot themselves in the foot and lost a lot of sympathy for their cause. If you think they've had a bad press in recent times, just watch the next few weeks!!

With israeli politics in turmoil at the moment, this is gonna play right into the hands of the right-wing zionist policymakers.

Although i'm dissapointed that they have chosen this particular group, i'm glad the palestinians have had the opportunity to elect their own representatives.

Just because you dont like them, and ya because they want their land back and they are fighting for their freedom, and another thing because they are against your loved one(israel and US).

Well let me tell you, as far as they are fighting for the truth, as far as thay are fighting for the sake of Islam and for teh freedom of Palestinians, they will be loved by Palestinaians and many mulims around the world and sorry you cant do anything about it.

Edited by Pashton

I do however get the feeling that the palestinians may have shot themselves in the foot and lost a lot of sympathy for their cause.

israel has always had more support than Palestine, the only difference now is the zionists will find it easier to justify their stance.

The people who supported Palestine before this election, will continue to do so.

i doubt hamas can deliver what the palestinians really want. hamas will be more compromised now by international politics than in the past. their only power, besides public support, has been the use of violence or the threat of it. that will now cease. i dont know what they have left to bargain with. perhaps, just world sympathy. and that will erode if they keep fighting.

Peace zman,

A shock win?

I don't know if I'd describe it as a 'shock' but on the whole I'd regard their electoral victory as a good thing. Whether they negotiate with israel or not does not matter in the short term. If they don't and things don't improve for the Palestinians then they can vote somebody else into power at the next election. Like in Northern Ireland when a party is democratically elected who did not previously have a voice, then that party is compelled to act responsibly or face losing the public support they achieved in opposition.

The major bargaining chip is now the EU Aid funding. If Hamas continue in the way they have up till now, condoning suicide bombing etc then they will lose the financial backing of the EU and ultimately they will lose power at the next election. Basically I think when somebody is held to account for their actions by the people they claim to represent they have to play ball, which can only be good.

If Hamas are willing to enter into international dialogue with regards to the middle-east peace process,

This "peace process" is one big smokescreen, It never truly existed.

There were dictations from the stronger party (israel backed by the US) to the weaker party (Palestinians)...

The Palestinians made the overwhelming amount of concessions called "measures of good faith" or "confidence builders" ...

The negotiations were nothing more than preparing a document for the Palestinians to sign their surrender and continued subjugation...

Yesterday on Sky news, a reporter was at the pooling booth and pointed at a group of women dressed with niqaab, claiming this is what Palestine will become if Hamas wins the election!

The pro-israeli media will milk Hamas' victory for all it's worth!

I Just read on Yahoo news that the Palestinian Authority arrested 5 palestinian police officers because they voted for Hamas...

I Just read on Yahoo news that the Palestinian Authority arrested 5 palestinian police officers because they voted for Hamas...

israeli and US pressure

Edited by Pashton

The Palestinian people have chosen and we should respect their choice. :D

I think now Hamas has a far better position to help their people than the money launders who were before.

Khier insha'Allah

Just because you dont like them, and ya because they want their land back and they are fighting for their freedom, and another thing because they are against your loved one(israel and US).

Well let me tell you, as far as they are fighting for the truth, as far as thay are fighting for the sake of Islam and for teh freedom of Palestinians, they will be loved by Palestinaians and many mulims around the world and sorry you cant do anything about it.

Wow, you sound bitter. I'm glad Hamas won. Maybe they'll escalate the situation? That's their plan, isn't it?

I heard on the radio the israeli military killed a 9 year old girl soon after the results were out. Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon.

Hamas knows there's more than Palestine at stake here, they've shown restraint over the past year and I hope they'll continue to use the political path to win stability for Palestine. But israel will provoke them to violence at every turn, violence works in favour of israel.

Spoken like a true muslim. You have lifted the wool from my eyes.

Thank you.

I'll be sure to pass on your regards to my "loved one" at our next cosy dinner party.

I heard on the radio the israeli military killed a 9 year old girl soon after the results were out. Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon.

Hamas knows there's more than Palestine at stake here, they've shown restraint over the past year and I hope they'll continue to use the political path to win stability for Palestine. But israel will provoke them to violence at every turn, violence works in favour of israel.

perhaps israel gonna sabotage hamas' victory. it's up to hamas now to stay cool. but there's a limit to one's patience. un should step in. hamas and fatah should form a coalition government :D

The UN is worthless.

So true, it should be abolished and a new organization take it's place...

All members should have equal rigts, no one should possess veto power and implementing actions should be by majority votes...

post-10817-1138483173_thumb.jpg

Palestinians carry Aya Al Astal into an ambulance near Khan Younis, south of the Gaza Strip January 26, 2006. israeli soldiers shot dead the nine-year-old Palestinian girl on Thursday in the Gaza Strip.