Islamic Forum

asa

I have been a Hary Potter fan for 4 years and i have read all 6 books. There is something special about them. Once u start reading, u cant stop.

I want to ask all of u whether they are ok to read. There has been a rumour floating around that the number of satanic worshippers :D has increased rapidly since the first book.

So please tell me, respected bros and sis' whether i should stop reading them or not.

thanks a lot

:D

was

PropellerAds

Salaam,

Surely so long as they don't turn you to satanism, then they are ok.

POV, they are great stories about good vs evil where being brave, moral and just is presentd as always being the right thing to do: I'd say that's good!

Peace and Love,

DARLA

ps: love the books too :D

:D i have read all of them but now i am starting to wonder if that is a good idea. if you go to Islam Q A then type in a search for video games

there should be one talking about how your'e allowed to play games that don't approve of sorcery. what is harry potter? sorcery i dunno but i am starting to feel uncomfortable

if you want stories about the brave and gallant go to www.swordofallah.com

Edited by Abu_sulaiman

fic·tion

1. An imaginative creation or a pretense that does not represent actuality but has been invented.

2. The act of inventing such a creation or pretense.

3. A lie.

4. A literary work whose content is produced by the imagination and is not necessarily based on fact.

5. The category of literature comprising works of this kind, including novels and short stories.

6. Law. Something untrue that is intentionally represented as true by the narrator.

I think satan worshippers don't actually exist. They're just made up to scare people. I have never met anyone who claims to worship satan as part of some organized religion. Every time I hear mention of satan worshippers, I can't help but laugh.

BISMILLAAH

:D / Peace to all

Found this writeup. Perhaps it can shed some light to this issue of Harry Porter.

Who's Harry Potter? Author : Umm Rashid

In a perfect world, the perfect child would ask: Harry Potter, who?

But the imperfection of the world we live in and the enormous power it exercises over our minds and our lives is manifest in the carefully orchestrated 'Pottermania' that takes hold of our children in perfect sync with each release of a new Harry Potter book or movie.

Milling crowds outside movie theatres and stampedes at book releases, merchandise and memorabilia bearing the Potter brand in every child's list of must-haves, an estimated 200 million copies sold in 200 countries, translated into 55 languages, all this hysteria over a children's book? Just who is Harry Potter?

For all practical purposes, Harry Potter is a fictional character in a series of children's books written by a struggling British single mum, Joanne K Rowling; who apparently wrote the first Potter book sitting for hours in a cafe because her apartment didn't have enough heating.

Dig a little deeper and you discover that the series is about a young orphan called Harry Potter whose parents were killed when he was a tot, by a wicked wizard named Voldemort aka "You-know-Who" aka "He-who-must-not be-named". Voldemort's attempt to kill Harry backfired and Harry was left with a lightening shaped scar on his forehead as a reminder of that fight.

Next, Harry is sent to live with his hopelessly non-magical relatives called Muggles, for the next 10 years; where his Uncle, Aunt and spoiled cousin devote their lives to making him miserable and horrors, even try to prevent him from knowing he's actually a wizard.

At age 11, a letter suddenly arrives from a magic boarding school called Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry which apparently tells Harry that he's a famous fellow in the witching world and invites him to live up to his fame, by joining the school and preparing for the final encounter with the wicked Lord Voldemort.

Each subsequent book details one school year in the life of Harry, the usual growing up pains, encounters with his admirers and enemies, and of course, the ever-present ever-menacing You-Know-Who.

Fair enough. Enid Blyton crossed with magic realism. Sounds interesting, most people say, and lead their little unsuspecting kids by the hand to make friends with Harry. Parents and children gleefully enter his world in darkened movie theatres or invite him home with each fat book from the series, smiling in parental joy as their kids spend hours poring over them, ahem, my kid's reading.

Scratch a little deeper and you'll see something that perhaps wasn't meant to be seen. That Harry is not the innocent little nerdy friend you first thought him to be. He's telling your kids things you don't want them to hear, teaching them things you don't want them to learn, albeit in inaudible whispers and untraceable actions.

What else did you expect, he's magick don't you know?

Harry's teaching them magick is cool

In Islaam, both the practice and learning of magic is classified as kufr or disbelief. Magic involves shirk in an aspect of Islaamic Monotheism called Tawheed al Asmaa-was Sifaat, Maintaining the Unity of Allaah's Names and Attributes; because by virtue of practicing magic, mere mortals seek to assume certain charachteristics which belong to Allaah alone.

The Qur'aan relates a story of Haarut and Maarut, two angels who were sent to Babylon among a people who practiced a form of magic that caused differences between spouses. The two angels explicitly said that they had been sent as a trial for the people and warned them not to commit disbelief by learning sorcery and its principles; but the people did not pay heed to them [ Surah Al Baqarah 2:102]

According to Islaamic law, the penalty for a person who practices magic, who does not repent and give it up, is death. The law is based on the hadeeth reported by Jundub ibn Ka'ab: The Prophet [sAW] said: The prescribed punishment for the magician is that he be executed by the sword. [Collected by At-Tirmidhee.]

This hadeeth, although classified da'eef or weak in its chain of transmission has been upgraded to the level of hasan or relatively authentic due to the supporting evidence. Three of the four leading Imaams Ahmad, Abu Haneefah and Maalik gave rulings according to it. Imaam Ash-Shaafiee ruled that magicians should be killed only if his magic feats reached the level of kufr.

Interestingly, the Torah and Bible also have similar rulings on magicians: A man or woman who is a medium or a wizard shall be put to death; they shall be stoned with stones, their blood shall be put upon them. [Leviticus20:27]

There shall not be found among you anyone who... practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord... [Deuteronomy 18:9-12 ]

Harry's playing with their psyche

In Arabic, the term sihr means something caused by hidden or subtle forces; it may be used to mean magic and a magician/soothsayer is called a saahir. Children have an inbuilt fear of the unknown, a child who refuses to go into a darkened room alone because of "things that go bump in the dark" is testifying to that innate fear.

Psychologists believe that this fear of the unknown may sometimes be an inbuilt, natural defense mechanism that guards a child's psyche from harmful stimuli. If something seems forbiddingly foreign , a child will normally want out of the situation.

However, in the name of "fantasy" and "stimulating a child's imagination", Harry is encouraging children to feel at home in a completely alien environment. Normally scary witches and monsters, become "human", almost lovable protagonists; while ordinary non-magical people metamorphose into the hated Muggles.

The presence of parents who are accompanying children into darkened movie halls which feature Harry's latest adventures as surely as mice following the Pied Piper; is lulling children into a false sense of security. Surely they're safe in there, after all their parents are there with them. What you're seeing here is Harry's magick at work: blurring the lines between good and evil, between normal and paranormal.

Harry's interfering with submission

Muslims are people, whose very name implicitly implies that they have submitted their Selves and personal desires to the Will of their Creator and the example of His Prophet.

While Islaam recognizes the reality behind some manifestations of magic, it explicitly forbids indulgence in such practices and teaches Muslims to seek refuge from them.

In a Saheeh hadeeth, The Prophet [sAW] taught Muslims to seek refuge from magic and the one who practises it by reading 2 verses from the Qura'aan called the Mu'awidhatyn - the two which help in seeking refuge. These two verses are Surah Al Falaq and Surah An Naas whose revelation was reported by the angel Jibreel [AS] when the Prophet himself came under the evil effect of magic wrought by a Jewish magician called La'bid bin Aasim.

The Qur'aan says (of people who indulge in magic): They follow what the devils related concerning Sulaymaan's kingdom, but it was not Sulaymaan who disbelieved, it was the devils who disbelieved by teaching the people magic and that which was revealed to the angels Haaroot and Maaroot in Babylon.

Although the two would not teach anyone anything until after they had warned them saying: Verily, we are only a test and a trial, so do not commit disbelief.

But the people went ahead and learned from the two of them what would cause the separation of a man from his wife. However, they could not harm anyone with it except by Allaah's permission.

They (in fact) learned what would only harm their own souls and not benefit them. Verily they knew that whoever purchases it would have no share in the Hereafter. Evil indeed was the price for which they sold their own souls if only they knew."

[surah Al Baqarah 2:102]

When children delight in their new friend Harry and his fantastic world, when they take every word he says as gospel truth, when they aspire to be like him or one of his gang, they are in fact desensitizing themselves to Allaah's clear-cut injunctions.

Harry's teaching them "moral relativism"

Harry's teaching them concepts about God which are the complete anti-thesis of Islaam. He's insinuating that "God" is an entity whose help is sought with the help of intricate rituals and obscure spells -- not through submitting one's will to Him and obedience to His Message. Harry's teaching them to ignore Allaah's Attributes as revealed in His Book, and is insidiously urging them to follow their own desires to see where they lead.

Harry's teaches them "moral relativism" or in kidspeak, how it's okay to lie or be bad and get away with it."

An example, an excerpt from a Harry Potter Special magazine [Primedia Inc] featuring interviews with actors Daniel Radcliffe (Harry), Rupert Grint (Ron), Tom Felton (Draco) and Harry Melling (Dudley):

Your favorite word in the Harry Potter books?

Daniel: "I like the word--it's very bad to say this--but I like the word Voldemort."

Do you prefer to play a bad or good character?

Tom: "Bad. It's more fun because it is different.

What magical power would you want to have?

Tom: "Invisibility. So I could sneak around and go places I shouldn't."

Did you find it hard torturing Harry?

Harry M: "No. I found it quite fun, actually."

According to a review of the latest Harry Potter movie, The Prisoner of Azkaban Harry's character acquires a "dark" edge as he plays out adolescent angst as a "confused and cynical" 13-year old. Among other "treats" featured in the movie, Harry breaks a golden magick rule and turns his hated Muggles aunt into a Hot-air balloon, fights ghostly death guards called Dementors, watches his pet rat metamorphose into a real buck-toothed boy. For good measure, there's also something called a "hippogriff" which is a cross between a horse and an eagle, yodeling toads, a talking opera singer's painting and gross jokes about "playing with one's wand" .

While this may be enough for reviewers to sing paens to Rowling's "dazzling imagination" and "the stuff that dreams are made of", it sounds like a nightmare gone excruciatingly wrong to me.

Is this the kind of stuff you want your child to read and see???

As a Muslim parent who is answerable to Allaah for the spiritual, physical and mental well-being of my children, I have made the decision not to bring Harry home; not to introduce them to him or his mixed up world. What about you? Wouldn't you like to hear your kids ask: Harry Potter, who?

Salaam

Sister Zabrina

Ehh, it's a story. We all know magic isn't real.

Do you view science fiction movies in the same manner? What about comic books? Ok, I could see you frowning on Jessica Alba in the Fantastic Four (damn, she's hot!).

Do you view science fiction movies in the same manner? What about comic books? Ok, I could see you frowning on Jessica Alba in the Fantastic Four (damn, she's hot!).

:D / Peace to all,

Yes, of course we know it is just a story. But if we understand the psychology of story and the wonders it can do to our mind and brain, we would know that it can change what we call the 'mental model' that we have. The power of story and storytelling has been well researched in the academia world. Professors like Carl Wigg, Boje, David Snowden are among the people who champion the usage of story to change someone/organization. It is actually a very interesting area. Anyway, the point is that never underestimate the power of stories.. seriously..

Sister Zabrina

well ive never read anything of this nature, nor do i watch the movies.

i find them very unintereting.

might be boring myself.

w/salaam

Yes, of course we know it is just a story. But if we understand the psychology of story and the wonders it can do to our mind and brain, we would know that it can change what we call the 'mental model' that we have. The power of story and storytelling has been well researched in the academia world. Professors like Carl Wigg, Boje, David Snowden are among the people who champion the usage of story to change someone/organization. It is actually a very interesting area. Anyway, the point is that never underestimate the power of stories.. seriously..

Sister Zabrina

I suppose you don't give human instinct as much credit as I do.

Assalamu alaikum

fic·tion

1. An imaginative creation or a pretense that does not represent actuality but has been invented.

2. The act of inventing such a creation or pretense.

3. A lie.

4. A literary work whose content is produced by the imagination and is not necessarily based on fact.

5. The category of literature comprising works of this kind, including novels and short stories.

6. Law. Something untrue that is intentionally represented as true by the narrator.

Ma'assalama

Ok, I could see you frowning on Jessica Alba in the Fantastic Four (damn, she's hot!).

you just had to throw that in there huh? lol

Anyway, the point is that never underestimate the power of stories.. seriously..

You make it sound as if harry potter is able to single handedly brainwash children. Not true. Because psychological brainwashing is a very elaborate process that takes multiple factors to acheive just one effect. So, in the odd cases that one or two disturbed children suddenly "flip" its because of other multiple factors.

Its a silly arguement to be honest. IF harry potter was SO harmful, YET hundreds of thousands of children read it, including many muslim children yet, how come they havent expressed these "brainwash effects" that has been noted above?

I'll say it again.

F.I.C.T.I.O.N

You make it sound as if harry potter is able to single handedly brainwash children. Not true. Because psychological brainwashing is a very elaborate process that takes multiple factors to acheive just one effect. So, in the odd cases that one or two disturbed children suddenly "flip" its because of other multiple factors.

Its a silly arguement to be honest. IF harry potter was SO harmful, YET hundreds of thousands of children read it, including many muslim children yet, how come they havent expressed these "brainwash effects" that has been noted above?

I'll say it again.

F.I.C.T.I.O.N

Bsimillaah

Please bear with me here. :D First of all, please do not put words into my mouth. I have never indicated in any way that Harry Porter is able to single handedly brainwash children. The point that i was making is simply story has the power to shift mental model of human being. It is a well researched fact. It has been presented on major conferences all over the world. Books are written about it. The model and theory of mental model is well established. There are many functions of story. Among them are used by generations after generations to pass down information or change certain beliefs. However, time is the essense.

And yes, i agree with you that people cannot change by just flipping the pages. There are many factors that lead us to behave certain way. ONE factor is never the reason. Multiple factors are needed to push someone over the edge. That is why a counsellor would try to understand an overall picture of his patient before starting the counselling session. The bigger picture is needed. Multiple issues must be address and understood. I agree with you.

Also brother, sometimes the effect of things on our life is not evident immediately. I am not the right person to talk about brainwashing effect. I dont think you are an expert either. But if you are, maybe you can help explain the me the wonders of brainwashing. However, being generalist, who do not 'own' the subject matter of brainwashing, i shall leave it to the expert out there (if any) to help shed some light over this matter. Allaahu 'Alam

Sister Zabrina

dude, dont you know it

i have a 4ft poster of her in my dorm room

As-salaamu ‘alaikum

“And those who do not witness falsehood, and if they pass by some evil play or evil talk, they pass by it with dignity.†(25:72)

In the Tafsir of Imaam ibn Kathir it says: “And if they pass by some evil play or evil talk, they pass by it with dignityâ€, means that we do not attend where falsehood occurs, and if it so happens that we pass by it, then we do not let it contaminate us in the slightest.

“Verily! The hearing, and the sight, and the heart, of each of those you will be questioned (by Allaah).†(17:36)

The Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “O Allaah, I seek refuge in you from knowledge which does not benefit, from a heart which does not feel humble, from a soul that does not feel contended and from an invocation that is not answered.†(Saheeh Muslim)

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

to me the books are just pure fun. What is the harm is good fiction? These books are actually beneficial in the sense that more kids read, instead of playing those awful video games. In Islam, is the only thing you're allowed to read the koran, if so doesn't that get a little boring?

Salaam,

one of the main criticisms is 'Oh, Harry&co use magic: therefore the books are wrong as they encourage the use of magic through ritual and this is satanism'. Or 'because Harry Potter uses magic, this will encourage other people to use it'.

Now, last time I checked I wasn't able to wave a piece of wood (no matter how many bird feathers I attached to it) say 'Lumos' or 'wingardium leviosa' and have something happen.

They key thing is in these fictional books that magic is used in the same way we use electricity, its a simple way to get things done. This parallell is emphasised by Mr Weasley's (wizard) obsession with plugs, ie: Muggle Magic.

Given the amount of fiction out there which is really quite nasty indeed, most of the attacks on HP seem to be because its successful.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

*who toddles off to find Half-Blood Prince*...bang goes my essay for the day.... :D

one of the main criticisms is 'Oh, Harry&co use magic: therefore the books are wrong as they encourage the use of magic through ritual and this is satanism'. Or 'because Harry Potter uses magic, this will encourage other people to use it'.

since your not muslim, you do not understand what sihr is. this is magic but used for evil purposes. this will give people ideas and they will start searching on the internet and find many books that do tell you how to perform certain rituals of magick. thus encouraging people to do sihr (magick).

Now, last time I checked I wasn't able to wave a piece of wood (no matter how many bird feathers I attached to it) say 'Lumos' or 'wingardium leviosa' and have something happen.

obviously, its fiction.

Given the amount of fiction out there which is really quite nasty indeed, most of the attacks on HP seem to be because its successful.

not really, other books such as anthony horowitz's alex rider series is really good. other books that are fiction but use real life situations (i.e.NO MAGIC) are successful but your mind seems to be closed to them. :D

I told my aunt I feel guilty reading them... as I feel I'm wasting my time, she said "why? reading story books arent wasting your time. Everytime you read one your reading skills become better, you learn new words, and learn about things you didnt know." On that part I believe she is right (although in reply to that you could say that you could read an Islamic book and get the same and more benefits (?) Allahu alam )

It being about magic I dont think is a big deal, we know what to believe and what not too. The book is just about good vs evil ...

I dunno... Im not defending it or anything... just thinking...

Yes THANKYOU mujahada. Reading any book improves your power of expression, not only this but since harry potter is so accessible it encourages people and children to read books as a form of entertainment as opposed to, TV or any other less useful kind of entertainment.

And JK Rowling herself refuted her pseudo-critics by stating that her books deal with good vs evil. Voldemort symbolises evil, pride and corruption, his actual form is very non human. Hence harry potter, symbolises the human fighting evil. Its just "that" simple.