Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Panthera Tigris

Danish Firm Seeks Muslim Row End

Danish firm seeks Muslim row end

The Danish company Arla has placed advertisements in Middle Eastern newspapers to try to stop a boycott of Danish produce in Muslim countries.

The firm is responding to anger about a series of caricatures depicting the Prophet Mohammed in a Danish newspaper.

A spokesman said Arla was facing consumer pressure to dissociate itself from the cartoons.

The paper apologised for any offence caused, but said it was testing the boundaries of expression about Islam.

Arla Foods, one of Europe's largest dairy producers, said earlier in the week that its customers in Saudi Arabia appeared to have stopped selling its dairy produce and had begun a boycott of Danish goods.

Finn Hansen, a divisional director with Arla, on Thursday told the website of Jyllands-Posten - the newspaper that printed the caricatures: "We fear that we will be hit by a wave of consumer anger."

On the same day, the Saudi Arabian ambassador to Denmark was recalled for consultations.

'Not good enough'

The dispute began when Jyllands-Posten last September published 12 caricatures of the prophet Mohammed, depicting him as a stereotypical Islamic terrorist.

Ten Muslim ambassadors wrote a joint letter to Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen asking him to take a stance on the issue, which he refused to do.

He said Denmark had a free and independent press and refused to intervene.

But the BBC's Julian Isherwood in Copenhagen says that has not been good enough for the Muslim countries and particularly Saudi Arabia, and there are now fears that the incident could affect Danish businesses.

The Confederation of Danish Industries has now appealed to Jyllands-Posten to print an apology for having commissioned the drawings.

In fact the newspaper has already apologised for, as it has said, wounding the sensitivities of Muslims, but at the same time maintaining its right to print what it likes.

Mr Rasmussen, too, fell just short of an apology in his New Year's speech, speaking of responsibility in exercising freedoms of speech.

Neither semi-apologies seem to have been accepted, our correspondent says, in a Muslim world which sees any depiction of the prophet as blasphemous.

Story from BBC NEWS:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/4656664.stm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/4656664.stm[/url]

Published: 2006/01/28 00:44:58 GMT

PropellerAds

I think this is in the right section.

In fact the newspaper has already apologised for, as it has said, wounding the sensitivities of Muslims, but at the same time maintaining its right to print what it likes.

I don't think they have the right to print what they like. Let see them print a holocaust denial or something pro-nazi!

Seems there is a little "Izzat"(?) left among the Muslim leaders.

There must be a full apology and a promise never to do it again.

:D

i hope muslims test the boundries of arla's profit and loss statements.

The paper apologised for any offence caused, but said it was testing the boundaries of expression about Islam.

Oh look, Kofi Annan condemns holocaust deniers:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4653666.stm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4653666.stm[/url]

How many Jews are there in the world anyway?

But really these cartoons are nothing.

There are more important things the leaders of Muslim countries could have done. How feasble is a boycott of US products? I know it's easy to boycott Danish goods as most economies in the world are independent of the Danish economy.

The paper apologised for any offence caused, but said it was testing the boundaries of expression about Islam

If there weren't economic consequences, the Danes would continue to insult Rasul Allah :D ?

A slap on the wrist isn't enough, the Arabs should boycott Denmark permanently to stop other countries from 'testing the boundries'.

Seems there is a little "Izzat"(?) left among the Muslim leaders.

Yes :D

Edited by Shagird

:D Shagird,

Why Arabs only?

I've boycotted Danish products. I don't care if it won't have an effect, I'm doing it for my Prophet :D, and :D Allah :D will reward us for our niyyah.

I recieved many text messages urging us to boycott Danish products, one of them said: if we continued boycotting them till August, their losses will reach 39 billion Euros :D.

I dont understand why all muslims are not taking the same stance my collegue phoned home to india when he asked his family if they are boycotting they didnt know what he was talking about even .

awareness is a waajib on all of us , these danish ppl insulted the Prophet Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã and have to apologise , its already cost them millions daily inshallah billions .

It's good to see where Muslims stand on this issue.

If the Danish newspaper had printed the same sort of caricatures, using Jesus instead of Mohammed, I doubt the reaction would be the same. There wouldn't be a boycott of Danish goods. Perhaps there would be alot of letters written to the newspaper, but nothing more. I don't know why Muslims would take offense to something a newspaper, in a country they'll probably never visit, prints. Overly sensitive? I'd say so.

Wrong Lateralus, Jesus is also our prophet and deserves equal respect. The reaction will be exactly the same.

We take offense because our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is being insulted...but, you wouldn't understand that, since you don't follow any particular religion.

Assalamu alaikum

Did the companies who are being boycotted, insult the Muslims? If not, why boycott them?

Ma'assalama

Assalaamu Alaa Manitaba'al Huda

I don't know why Muslims would take offense to something a newspaper, in a country they'll probably never visit, prints. Overly sensitive? I'd say so.

perhaps you didnt know but there are many muslims who live in Denmark, even the kind that people term as Fanatics.

Wassalaamu Alaa Manitaba'al Huda

If the Danish newspaper had printed the same sort of caricatures, using Jesus instead of Mohammed, I doubt the reaction would be the same. There wouldn't be a boycott of Danish goods. Perhaps there would be alot of letters written to the newspaper, but nothing more. I don't know why Muslims would take offense to something a newspaper, in a country they'll probably never visit, prints. Overly sensitive? I'd say so.

Assalam o ala Manitaba Al Huda

1. Perhaps Muslim's love for Rasul Allah :D is more then A christian's love for Jesus alayhi salam.

2. Through the history it is known that christians(not making generalizations here :D) have done blasphemous acts like making Jesus alayehi salam Allah's son, then God and then Holy Ghost.. or previous nation making Uzair alayhi Salam Allah's son.. so such attrocities in religion is not surprising from a christian or a jew. But We muslims Alhamdulilah regard our prophets( all of them ) noble and place them in their right honorable place.. So we do get all angry when someone demeans and disrespect any of our Prophet!

Wassalam o Ala Manitaba Al Huda

This thread is about the insult against the prophet pls dont divert the topic freindly warning .

Prophet Eisa If he was insulted we would take the same stance or any other prophet , The news paper made a mistake and now they whole country will pay .

thats that .

lateralu's statement is an example of how the west has no respect for anything. except money. no respect for family, morals, for their elders, other people or religion. that is why they are a degenerate society that only worships sin , greed, lust, gluttony etc.

I don't know why Muslims would take offense to something a newspaper, in a country they'll probably never visit, prints. Overly sensitive? I'd say so.

lateralu's statement is an example of how the west has no respect for anything. except money. no respect for family, morals, for their elders, other people or religion. that is why they are a degenerate society that only worships sin , greed, lust, gluttony etc.

I couldn't of put it better myself zukiful.

And that's exactly why the West resists Islamic influence. If Muslims controlled the US, I would not be able to say or do the things I am able to, right now. You claim to have freedoms, but that's a facade, a ruse.

Teyyar, I never said Muslims would act different, if it was Jesus. I said Christians would. They understand that you can't police thought, well, some of them at least.

You are wrong, but there's no point in debating someone who is so convinced they are right and all others are evil.

You are wrong, but there's no point in debating someone who is so convinced they are right and all others are evil.

Salaam a lakkum!!

Right, I am a Christian working in Tripoli,Libya,

A couple of guys came into my office this morning going on about this and I knew nothing about it :D

Anyway, firstly let me say that I think insulting the Prophet Mohammed is wrong - no question of that.

However, what is disrespectful about reproducing his image when Christians have Jesus's image all over the churches?

Is it because Mohammed did not want his image to be worshipped instead of God's? If so, that is a laudable act.

However, is that an absolute wish? Surely nobody would then worship a cartoon in a newspaper?

Inshallah, somebody can give me a good explanation!

Shukran

Why Arabs only?

Only Arab governments seem to be reacting to this, but the more who boycott Danish produce, the better! :D

Libya has said it is closing its embassy in Denmark in protest against a series of caricatures depicting the Prophet Muhammad in a Danish newspaper.

Tripoli said Denmark had failed to act against the Jyllands-Posten's cartoons, which showed Muhammad as a terrorist.

The Danish government has refused to get involved in the issue despite growing anger in the Muslim world.

"Because the Danish media had continued to show disrespect to the Prophet Muhammad and because the Danish authorities failed to take any action on that, Libya decided to close its embassy in Copenhagen," the Libyan foreign ministry said in a statement.

Libya also said it would be taking "economic measures" against Denmark, but did not say what they would be.

Ambassadors from several Muslim countries have complained to Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen, threatening to boycott Danish goods.

Last week, Saudi Arabia recalled its ambassador from Denmark.

The Jyllands-Posten had said earlier it published the drawings to test the boundaries of expression about Islam.

Its editorial on Sunday said it did not mean to insult Islam. "We at Jyllands-Posten feel regret because the issue has reached this level and we reiterate that we did not mean to insult anybody," it said.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4660796.stm"]source[/url]

Jyllands-Posten invited cartoonists to draw images of Rasul Allah :D and published the 12 most vulgar entries. Now they insist it wasn't their intention to insult Muslims! What kind of a genius works in their P.R. department?

The Muslim world shouldn't have a problem boycotting those who spread hatred. Extremism goes both ways.

Edited by Shagird

Salaam,

I greatly appriciate the sentiment that Muslims would behave in the same way if it was an insulting picture of Jesus rather than Mohammed, but we have seen many less-than-favourable pictures of Jesus (see the many spoofs of the last supper, or use google image to search for 'spoof' 'Jesus') and have not seen such a response?

The newspaper has said that it is sorry it printed it, to call on the Danish government to act is foolish- they have no control over the press. Newspapers have the right to print what they wish, they are just expected to show some self censorship. To apoligise for the initial insult yet reserve the right to publish is, in my mind, a fair conpromise.

On a less (I hope) contentious issue, I have seen DVDs and Video in shop windows which show the story of the life of Mohammed, are moving pictures then allowed? Is it only static pictures that are problematic?

Peace and Love,

DARLA

Salaam,

although, of course, as the Danish press has the right to print what it wants...

...consumers have an equal right to buy what they want.

forgot to say it in previous post!

Peace and Love,

DARLA

However, what is disrespectful about reproducing his image when Christians have Jesus's image all over the churches?

peace

if the prophet (pbuh) was reproduced as an image then somewhere along the line somebody will start idol worshipping

Salaam,

although, of course, as the Danish press has the right to print what it wants...

...consumers have an equal right to buy what they want.

forgot to say it in previous post!

Peace and Love,

DARLA

well said

The dispute began when Jyllands-Posten last September published 12 caricatures of the prophet Mohammed, depicting him as a stereotypical Islamic terrorist.

essalamu alikum

last september !!!!?????

so now we r starting to talk about it

essalamu alikum

Edited by Nile_Salafy