Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
maidan shahr

Alcohol In Cosmetics

SALAm~

Is it bad to use alcohol cosmetics such as makeup and shampoo ? because one line that i use has plain "alcohol" written in the ingerdients haaah :D

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Allah knows best...

because there are different view about alcohol. Some say it is haram because it is an intoxicant while others believe that it is Najis (impurity). If it is impure than it would mean that you cannot touch it but if it is pure but just intoxicating then it is forbidden to consume it but you can touch it. I was talking about ethanol.

What school of thought are you following?

Therefore, Allah knows best

Salam

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Question #13940: Ruling on selling cologne and perfuming oneself with it

Question :

There are some kinds of cologne that those who addicted to intoxicants drink and become intoxicated from. What is the ruling on buying and selling them, and is it permissible to perfume oneself with them?.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

If the alcohol content of cologne is at such a level that one could become intoxicated by drinking a lot of it, it is haraam to keep it, whether a little of itor a lot, and it must be poured away and destroyed because it is khamr (an intoxicant). It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded the Muslims to pour away whatever wine they had when the following verse was revealed (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al‑Ansaab,[stone altars for sacrifice to idols, jinn, etc] and Al‑Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.

91. Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As‑Salaah (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?â€

[al-Maa’idah 5:90-91]

And it was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whatever intoxicates in large amounts, a little of it is haraam.†Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1865; Abu Dawood, 3681; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Based on this, it is haraam to drink it, perfume oneself with it or purify oneself with it. But if the alcohol content is not at such a level that drinking a lot of it would cause intoxication, then it is permissible to buy it and keep it and use it as a perfume or for purifying oneself, because the basic principle is that things are permissible unless there is proof to the contrary.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 22/143. (www.Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link))

Allah knows best.

Salam

:D

but alcohol in cosmetic products, isn't that ethanol? that doesn't intoxicate... i think.

Edited by Abu_sulaiman

Asalam Alaikum

O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination,- of Satan's handwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper. - Al Ma'idah 5:90

The word "khamr" refers to intoxication but specifically to the consumption of wine. If one considers this point it cannot be extended to wearing perfumes with alcohol in them as they do not intoxicate nor are they a form of wine.

However, all things associated to alcohol are forbidden, hence, we're not allowed to associate to alcohol in any way- even perfumes for that matter!

I never perfume just to be on the safe side. :D

Walaikum Salam

:D its not ethanol or isopropyl alcohol just alcohol which is extracted from grains and herbs so is it haram to use a shampoo with it b/c it wont intoxicate me will it :D

Question: Is synthetic alcohol halal? I kissed my wife and felt alcohol on my tongue. Do I need to expiate it somehow?

Details : My wife had sprayed some perfume on her neck and when I kissed her I felt some tingling feeling on my tongue. The perfume she used had synthetic alcohol in it. Is the use of such Alcohol halal? If so, is the consumption also halal?

Consulted with Mufti Yunus Bobat

In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful

Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani (Damat Barkatu hum) states in ‘Takmeela Fath al-Mulhim’:

“… the ruling with regards to the various types of alcohol, the usage of which has become widespread and they are used in many medicines and perfumes, becomes known, in that if the alcohol is extracted from grapes or dates, then there is no question of it being permissible or pure. However, if the alcohol is derived from other than grapes or dates, then there is no problem according to the view of Imam Abu Hanifa, in that it will not be unlawful to use such alcohol (and perfumes and medicines made thereof ) for medical or other lawful purposes as long as the alcohol does not reach the level of intoxication…. And normally the alcohol used in medicines, perfumes, etc is not extracted from grapes and dates, rather it is derived from seeds, honey, chemicals, petrol, etc.” (Takmeela Fath al-Mulhim Sharh Saheeh Muslim, 3/608).

From the above it is clear that such synthetic alcohol is permissible and there is no harm in using it. Such alcohol is also not najas (impure) and therefore praying with clothes that have been sprayed with such perfume is also permissible.

With regards to your question about its consumption, then Shar`ia does not prohibit it, provided such synthetic alcohol do not intoxicate. In your case of accidental intake, there is no problem, and no expiation is required. However, deliberate consumption is not recommended as these perfumes may contain chemicals harmful for the human body.

It should however be kept in mind that not all perfumes have synthetic alcohol. Some perfumes still use alcohol derived from grapes or dates, in which case their use is rendered Haraam (impermissible). The salaah with such clothes will not be valid.

Therefore it would be better to stay safe and use extreme precaution in using these perfumes.

Wassalam o Alaikum Warahmat Allahi Wabarakatoh

Abu Hajira

Student, Madrasah In`aamiyyah

Camperdown, South Africa

Edited by abuhajira

khalid bin al waleed (abu sulaiman-hence my name!) had a bath in alcohol which 'Umar rebuked him for. but then he sent a letter explaining that he had boiled the alcohol and killed it.

for further info see (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.swordofallah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/html/bookchapter37page1.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.swordofallah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/html/bookchapter37page1.htm[/url]

I will go with abuhajira and MinorityOpinions. They are right.

But please dont use any cosmetic with alcohol...........It takes away the natural moisture and will leave your skin or hairs dry.........My mom is a beautician and she never let me use such products.

But please dont use any cosmetic with alcohol...........It takes away the natural moisture and will leave your skin or hairs dry.........My mom is a beautician and she never let me use such products.

i'm still confused :D

nooo it is regular alcohol like the kind ppl drink

i'm still confused :D

What is confusing sweetheart..........

The Arabic word used for intoxicant is ‘Khamr’ from the root word ‘Khamara’ which means ‘to cover’. Therefore anything that ‘covers’ the mind is prohibited. This includes such intoxicants like marijuana, heroin, cocaine, Hashish and alcohol, or anything that affects the mind

But you are not drinking or eating it so it means that it will not effect you in a religious way.....

But using products with alcohol will damage your skin and hairs..........so its better to avoid them.

What is confusing sweetheart..........

The Arabic word used for intoxicant is ‘Khamr’ from the root word ‘Khamara’ which means ‘to cover’. Therefore anything that ‘covers’ the mind is prohibited. This includes such intoxicants like marijuana, heroin, cocaine, Hashish and alcohol, or anything that affects the mind

But you are not drinking or eating it so it means that it will not effect you in a religious way.....

But using products with alcohol will damage your skin and hairs..........so its better to avoid them.

i dont think sooo, thank you though