Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anthony19832005

Obligation To Make War?

From the Hanafi school (as given in the Hidayah) 16

“ It is not lawful to make war upon any people who have never before been called to the faith, without previously requiring them to embrace it, because the Prophet so instructed his commanders, directing them to call the infidels to the faith, and also because the people will hence perceive that they are attacked for the sake of religion, and not for the sake of taking their property, or making slaves of their children, and on this consideration it is possible that they may be induced to agree to the call, in order to save themselves from the troubles of war… If the infidels, upon receiving the call, neither consent to it nor agree to pay capitation tax, it is then incumbent on the Muslims to call upon God for assistance, and to make war upon them, because God is the assistant of those who serve Him, and the destroyer of His enemies, the infidels, and it is necessary to implore His aid upon every occasion; the Prophet, moreover, commands us so to do.â€

al-Mawardi (d. 1058 ), Shafi’i jurist 17

“…The mushrikun [infidels] of Dar al-Harb (the arena of battle) are of two types: First, those whom the call of Islam has reached, but they have refused it and have taken up arms. The amir of the army has the option of fighting them…in accordance with what he judges to be in the best interest of the Muslims and most harmful to the mushrikun… Second, those whom the invitation to Islam has not reached, although such persons are few nowadays since Allah has made manifest the call of his Messenger…it is forbidden to…begin an attack before explaining the invitation to Islam to them, informing them of the miracles of the Prophet and making plain the proofs so as to encourage acceptance on their part; if they still refuse to accept after this, war is waged against them and they are treated as those whom the call has reached…â€

Are muslims required to attack non muslims that , after being exposed to Islam and given a choice to convert, refuse?

PropellerAds

to be honest, i didnt read your whole post, it was kinda long! but let me reply to the title and what ive read:

In Islam, we beleive that it is better to try to educate people about Islam and let them chose for themselves instead of killing them. If they are dead, that totally elimates the possibility of them finding a great religion which they may accept. The only time muslims are asked to fight another is when the others are commiting acts of oppression. If you cite excerpts(out of context, as always) of "KILL ALL INFADELS" or something of that sort, it is either wrongly translated or taken out of context. If you take it within context you will realize that it is talking about a specific battle where muslims are asked to kill all who have been oppressors or practice acts of oppresion.

Let me make it clear that if i have two friends, one who is a muslim and one who isnt, and the muslim is oppressing and the christian is oppressed, i have to stand with the christian and stand agaisnt the muslim. Islamic war isnt agaisnt other religions, its agaisnt transgressors.

oh, and i just read your last line:

No, if you have read that somewhere it is probably talking about a battle(one of the few off the top of my head) that is when the muslims were fighting the christians they were asked to kill all oppressors unless they have accepted Islam and stopped their acts of oppression. The prophet muhammad(PBUH) made many deals and business relations with non-muslims who clearly knew about Islam