Islamic Forum
dot

Respect Of Religions

:sl:

Dear members

Some people believe that freedom of speech includes the right to insult religions. Regretfully, this wrong understanding of freedom is spread across Europe in particular.

You know that this friendly forum is based on mutual respect. If this is lost, there would be little to go from there.

Today, I've taken a new step, and hope to read your feedback and comments on it:

I've added this question for those who register a new account in our forum:

Do you think freedom of speech gives people the right to insult Islam? (if yes, this forum is not for you)

I've made it so that new registrants must reply to that question. I've also made one single answer available from the drop-down menu:

No, its not right to insult religions

If a new registrant refused to choose that answer, their registration will not be processed.

Do you think that this new step is good, or bad?

The result would hopefully be: no members who insult or support those who insult Islam and religions.

But do you think this would somehow close the door of dawah, or narrow it?

Should we allow everyone to register, even those who support insulting Islam, in fear that we may be blocking away someone who might revert, or at least begin to respect Islam?

As admin of this forum, I'm torn between 2 problems:

- members who love Islam so much that they can't stay where Islam is insulted, and leave the forum because of that.

- our unconditional commitment to call for Islam all peoples of the world.

We need to strike a balance between those 2.

What do you all think?

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaikum, I don't think there is anything wrong with the question. Is it possible to add the part that I put in bold??

Do you think freedom of speech gives people the right to insult Islam or any other Religion for that matter? (if yes, this forum is not for you)

This is just my thought, does not have to be implemented.

I don't think doing this would stop people from registering, some might still come and troll around and get banned or leave by themself, but the majority are serious people and they would stay and learn. I would also request that our Muslim members are a bit soft and keep control over their emotions and use wisdom towards the non Muslims as well as Muslims who are in the process of learning and might ask questions which might look offending.

I hope I have not offended anyone inshaAllah.

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh.

Brother Dot, if we want to embrace more people of different backgrounds, we have to allow them to come and interact first with us. During the process of interaction, we'll be able to see who are the people who are ready to learn others' values or who aren't.

They can't be blamed at all, because their parents, their teachers, their peers, their govt, their environments teach them since they are baby that it is okay to insult. These "values" are instilled in them since they are baby so they will not be able to believe the opposite without our help.

They can lie and say that freedom of speech does not give people the right to insult Islam, but it will make the good ones and potential reverts among them become hypocrites.

As long as they don't cross the limits, let them come to us with their true colors.

As for our brothers and sisters who are not used to multicultural environment with different views, they can visit only the safe sections of this forum. There are many actually.

I said this because there might be some non-Muslims who are quite interested in Islam, however, she/he stills holds on the false definition and interpretation of freedom of speech.

Wassalam,

Y

I am in favour of keeping the doors of dawah open to everyone.

It is certainly very hurtful for Muslims to see others insult the Prophet, but in line of our primary objective of this forum which is to inform and educate others about Islam and help those who are thinking of converting, we have to keep our channels open. Restricting entry to those who insult the Prophet may restrict our objectives in the forum. We may never know, whether the person who was denied entry into the forum and who has been fed with lies and statements of hatred of Islam, may have accepted Islam if he/she was allowed into the forum. In the online environment, we can never tell or judge the true background or intentions of the person.

I think the current situation still works. The mods can still apply the current rules to those who insult Islam.

:no:

I don't think such a question is needed because as you mentioned we may be restricting the level of Dawah given out.

We have to be ready for any views new members present to us-good or bad.

When one insults Islam it is a perfect time to show our true character and be patient and reply calmly.

When you do reply in a good manner it'll give a good impression.

Here check this thread.One member had a negative view of Islam then after a reply has view changed!

Just an example. :D

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=250544&pid=693870&st=0entry693870"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic...mp;#entry693870[/url]

Notice how he changed his thoughts on Islam with his final reply!

I understand it now, and I think Islam is probably a great religion if it has such friendly people helping and explaining things in a peaceful way. The common media-infuence opinions are wrong!

Soo in the first post when he seemed to attack Islam,I didn't sink down to attack.Instead I informed/educated him.

:D you see where I'm coming from.

Plus if there is a member who seems to be spamming etc then as mentioned above the mods can remove him and hide the posts.

:D for reading.

I would also request that our Muslim members are a bit soft and keep control over their emotions

I agree there :j:

Dawah is effectively given through one's character,remember that? :sl:

Edited by Aaqib Ahmed

They should all be allowed on the forum (some will try to register again in making sure they gain access to the forum anyway), for the reasons stated above; and we can pick out the ones who are here to learn and respect religions and how much we value it.

I think the current situation still works. The mods can still apply the current rules to those who insult Islam.

My thoughts exactly. Or we can adjust the existing rules to this context.

I think it is a good idea, my only problem is ''What constitutes an insult?''

For example is my belief that Islam is inferior to Christianity an ''insult''? If so I cannot see a way around that.

Assalamualaikum,

I have visited many anti-Islamic websites and I find that some persons come to this Islamic Forum to spread the anti-Islamic contents of the websites and they don't come here to learn about Islam but to abuse, slander and insult Islam. And they don't care about your facts nor evidence because they are not interested in truth. They will twist your facts, logics, examples etc because they do not appreciate them. Some of them even pretend to be a Muslim to confuse Muslims and non-Muslims. Some of them pretend to be an atheist so that nobody can question their belief whenever they attack, insult or slander Islam. Sometimes the enemies of Islam pretend to be a new convert and you would welcome him or her then he or she would ask you so many questions to confuse you. They would provoke you to your limit. I have debated with so many enemies of Islam and I know their dirty tricks etc. Sometimes I find that I am debating with an organization not a person.

As an Islamic Forum, is it wise to allow the enemies of Islam to slander, insult, and degrade Islam, the Prophet Muhammad and Muslims on this very Islamic Forum? What are the effects of false and malicious statements about Islam on non-Muslims and Muslims? Would the benefits outweigh the risks, slanders, insult etc? I hope this Islamic Forum will ban the enemies of Islam.

I agree with brother dot that members who love Islam so much that they can't stay where Islam is insulted, and leave the forum because of that. Sometimes I think I can't stay where the enemies of Islam can insult, degrade, slander Islam freely.

As a Muslim, I welcome non-Muslims who want to study Islam sincerely and truly and I really hope they will revert to Islam.

Hi Peter_J

For example is my belief that Islam is inferior to Christianity an ''insult''? If so I cannot see a way around that.

see? you are not banned, so i guess it is not that difficult to figure out whether something is an insult or not.

wassalam,

y

Salamu alaykum,

i think this new step is fine. In case the person who is about to register reads this, he/she may think or at least try refresh his/her thoughts about this issue. Its like a reminder, i think it's good. As Aamina sis said above, they will register the forum anyway even if they dont agree with what it is told. It's no more than a reminder or a some kind of warning. :sl:

Salam

I agree with brother yasov and i think we as muslims will find their insults distrubing but we also don't expect everyone to hold the same respect to our beliefs ofcourse. We always have to remember that we are the blessed ones to have the belief to respect and tolerate others beliefs and idealogy. And so i believe we have to tolerate it to some extend, this extension i think we'll start with allowing them to come with their original attitudes and ends after warnings and detailed explanation of the offense they committed.

ma salama.

I think the better question would be:

Do you intend to insult Islam?

That way people that come to this forum with different ideas about freedom of speech are welcome, while people that will abuse the freedom are not welcomed.