Bottled Water?

Bottled Water?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy Bottled Water?

• Yes
    • No
    • err?

:D

Consumers spend a collective $100 billion every year on bottled water in the belief--often mistaken, as it happens--that this is better for us than what flows from our taps, according to environmental think tank the Earth Policy Institute (EPI).

Worldwide, bottled water consumption surged to 154 billion liters (41 billion gallons) in 2004, up 57 percent from 98 billion liters in 1999, EPI said in a written analysis citing industry data.

By one view, the consequences for the planet and for consumers' purses are horrifying.

''Even in areas where tap water is safe to drink, demand for bottled water is increasing--producing unnecessary garbage and consuming vast quantities of energy,'' said Arnold. ''Although in the industrial world bottled water is often no healthier than tap water, it can cost up to 10,000 times more.''

At up to $2.50 per liter ($10 per gallon), bottled water costs more than gasoline in the United States.

By way of example, in 2004 alone, a Helsinki company shipped 1.4 million bottles of Finnish tap water 4,300 kilometers (2,700 miles) to Saudi Arabia. And although 94 percent of the bottled water sold in the United States is produced domestically, some Americans import water shipped some 9,000 kilometers from Fiji and other faraway places to satisfy demand for what Arnold termed ''chic and exotic bottled water.''

Worldwide, some 2.7 million tons of plastic are used to bottle water each year.

Once it has been emptied, the bottle must be dumped. According to the Container Recycling Institute, 86 percent of plastic water bottles used in the United States become garbage or litter. Incinerating used bottles produces toxic byproducts such as chlorine gas and ash containing heavy metals tied to a host of human and animal health problems. Buried water bottles can take up to 1,000 years to biodegrade.

Meanwhile, communities from near which the water came in the first place risk running dry.

More than 50 Indian villages have complained of water shortages after bottlers began extracting water for sale under Coca-Cola Co.'s Dasani label, EPI said.

''Similar problems have been reported in Texas and in the Great Lakes region of North America, where farmers, fishers, and others who depend on water for their livelihoods are suffering from concentrated water extraction as water tables drop quickly,'' ''Arnold said.

All this, because many consumers associate bottled water with healthy living.

More fool us.

''Bottled water is not guaranteed to be any healthier than tap water. []bIn fact, roughly 40 percent of bottled water begins as tap water; often the only difference is added minerals that have no marked health benefit,''[/b] EPI said.

France's Senate, it added, ''even advises people who drink bottled mineral water to change brands frequently because the added minerals are helpful in small amounts but may be dangerous in higher doses.''

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.yahoo(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/s/oneworld/20060204/wl_oneworld/45361268291139089785"]source[/url]

What would you do if you found out your brand of 'mineral water' was tap water, with added minerals? :D

Edited by Shagird

PropellerAds

sometimes, but rarely.. and thats only when Im out...

I wouldnt care if I found out it was tap water really :D it usually tastes nasty [at]_[at] .. tap water taste good

interesting article

Assalamaualikum,

call me crazy but i buy Evian water for the bottle....i find it easier to take the evian bottle everywhere i go.

Evian203.jpg

Edited by baree_

Yes, I do. I've had several poor experiences with water fountains and I don't trust the whole "they put fluoride in the water because it's good for our teeth" line. Therefore, I get bottled water.

And Baree, I think evian is the best, although I've only had it like 3 times :D Even though it IS (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_dictionary.reference(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/search?q=naive"]naive[/url] spelled backwards...

AS

lol [at] naive. :D

Evian actually is the best...we used to buy that. :D

But I hardly drink bottled water. And I don't bother buying when I'm out either. I use that as an exuse to get soda instead. :D

Assalamaualikum,

yep...evian is the best bottled water. i find the others tastes like too much chemicals are put in them.

Edited by baree_

I drink evian most of the time I'm out. But at home tap water will do!

Assalamaualikum,

call me crazy but i buy Evian water for the bottle....i find it easier to take the evian bottle everywhere i go.

Evian203.jpg

sis, i do that too... :D

What would you do if you found out your brand of 'mineral water' was tap water, with added minerals? :D

I will check the water before drink...lolz

the two months we (my family) lived in Malaysia, we had to walk to the plazza and buy bottled water everyday.

here in South Africa :D the tap water is very clean and drinkable. no need for boiling.

not the case in pakistan... there we would boil the water and keep in the fridge.

interesting poll...

i voted 'yes'...

its always good to keep bottled water with you....even in the car....as it could even be used for wudu..if required.

not the case in pakistan... there we would boil the water and keep in the fridge.

i agree....but the bottled water aint bad over there...but the best thing to do is, freeze a bottle of water and take it with you when you go out and it gradually melts and the water stays cool...

nice article

w/salaam

Edited by Arwa

its always good to keep bottled water with you....even in the car....as it could even be used for wudu..if required.

i agree....but the bottled water aint bad over there...but the best thing to do is, freeze a bottle of water and take it with you when you go out and it gradually melts and the water stays cool...

Assalaamualaikum

Wassalaams

there was this ecoli incident here in canada, so ever since i havent drank tap water

Penn & Teller did a survey in New York City. 75% of the people who took part in the blind taste test preffered tap water over bottled water. They then went into a restaurant and sold bottled water for $7 a glass. The guests raved about you could really tell the difference between the bottled water and tap water.

They were then informed their bottled water came out of the rubber garden hose in the back of the restaurant.

I live on a well that used to emit the best tasting water in the world. It was... delicious. Then isome idiot drilled into it and broke a sulfur wall or something, and now it tastes like rotten eggs, so I occasionally get bottled water.

When I'm in the city, I usually drink tap water.

this just reminds me that in when my brotehrs went to madressah in Ajax, Ontario, every morning they would get sfresh spring water froma nearby spring!

We could cap up the well water in a milk jug and then light it on fire (methane, it just fizzes out if you don't mind waiting) :D Bottled water remained the choice.

AS

Only for the cars and when I'm out. :D

Otherwise tap water. :D

I do buy water (I like Volvic). I have been trying to drink more water for the past few years.

However, I must confess, it took me a looong time to get over the fact that I was paying for water!