Islamic Forum
Introvert

Non Muslims with Muslim names

Do you mind non-muslims having muslim names?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you mind non-muslims having muslim names?

• Yes-Only Muslims should have Muslim names.
    • No-Anyone can use it
    • Don't care

asalaam alaikum,

The name doesn't always match the person though. Take for instance names such as Christian,Mary,Madonna(no not the pop star,the name) Jesus even, they are all first names most of them quite popular as first names,some not so popular depending on the country you live in.

Do you notice, or a question actually..how many Christains today are called Jesus in the UK?, You will find alot of Muslim children called Jesus.

w'asalaam

PropellerAds

:D

I was thinkning about this the other day.

I dont really like nonmuslims having Muslim names...

I agree with Mujahada^^... One problem it leads to for example.. if on the news a bombing or something major happened and the person who did it had a muslim name but wasn't a muslim..everyone will assume it was a muslim who had done it right?..

There was an incident that happened about a year ago here i think..there was a sniping..a sniper and they found him and his name was something like Jonathon Matthew Mohammed. Everyone assumed it was a muslim and started sayin Islam is a violent religion which started leading to many problems jus cuz he had the name Mohammad in it..

Asalamualaykum,

I didn't vote because I feel this question is invalid. A person doesn't choose their name in the beginning the parents do. I don't know what the meaning of a Muslim name is to the poster, maybe you should enlighten us and tell us your definition as for now I would have to agree with Khamosh and anything that means something good is a muslim name no matter what language it is in. I am a convert and I have a good meaning name it is in English. If you were to hear my name you would assume I was Christian or Jewish but nnnnnnnever Muslim. My parents chose my name not me. I talked with my Mom about my name and changing it she said O.K. then later I figured why should I... I was destined to be this person with this name with this color of hair etc... I'm not changing I've always had this name as for others they can call me my name in Arabic/Urdu/French/Spanish etc that is fine with me I'll respond but see it doesn't matter in the end what people call me it's what I am inside that matters to God. Inshallah people will stop being so blind about the "name-calling" and start living their Islamic lifestyles! Asalamualaykum. :D

Assalamu alaikum

There was an incident that happened about a year ago here i think..there was a sniping..a sniper and they found him and his name was something like Jonathon Matthew Mohammed. Everyone assumed it was a muslim and started sayin Islam is a violent religion which started leading to many problems jus cuz he had the name Mohammad in it..

John Allen Muhammed? well that crazied out dude was a muslim :D

Wa-alaikum salam

Yep. He was a convert. :D

And I don't think a name is enough to claim Islam is violent. If the media made a big deal of the fact the bomber isn't Muslim, like how they make a big deal out of his name being Muslim, then people would know the difference. People are being selectively informed, thats what the problem is, not the names of the bombers..

Lots of Muslims out there who are anything BUT Muslim in their demeanor. Can't stop them from their names and the 'muslimness' they signify.

Kind of nice to have popularity of Muslim names; makes other people think and makes them more ocmmon so immigrants etc perhaps don't feel as isolated.

al salamo alaykom

i dont think it really matters eh?

it's just the good thing about muslims having distinct names is that in the west you stand out and you know straight away who's arab or muslim..but even though i still dont care really, you find many names like ali, aysha in the west they're getting popular.

wa alaykom al salam