Islamic Forum
Introvert

Non Muslims with Muslim names

Do you mind non-muslims having muslim names?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you mind non-muslims having muslim names?

• Yes-Only Muslims should have Muslim names.
    • No-Anyone can use it
    • Don't care

What r ur opinions?

Crap...the topic's supp to b non muslims with muslim names... :D

Edited by Introvert

PropellerAds

:D

It can be deceiving because you see a bunch of professional athletes with muslim names and I know they aren't muslim and then you see them celebrating with champagne or whatever when they win a championship.

Kinda is upsetting.

assalamu alikum

i dont see any problem e.g. whats wrong with an arab christian keeping a 'muslim arabic' name- names have many beautiful meanings and 'islamic names' shouldn't be restricted to muslims only :D

w/s

[at] Paki...

Maybe these athletes were born in a muslim society,,,,or their parents may be muslim.

I have a christian pal from Lebannon and his name is Amir. Personally it doesn't seem like a biggie to me. My last name is muslim I think. It starts with Imam... that is what I was born with and I ain't changing it just because I've decided not to follow religion

Peace!

The athletes Paki Brother is talking about probably don't have Muslim parents or Muslim roots. They're probably just black Americans.

African Americans have a long-standing tradition of giving their children creative names. This is because of their history as slaves. They would give their children distinct names in case the children were sold. It allowed them to keep in touch with their families -- they could ask travellers about family-members in other towns and be sure the news they heard was about the right person. A friend of mine has grandparents with very classic 'slave names' of this type: Her grandfather is named "King Marvin" (first name "King," middle name "Marvin") and her grandmother is "Honey Bee." Seriously.

Since Islam and an association between Islam and African pride arrived in the community of black Americans in the 1960's, many African American parents have given their children Islamic names, or Islamic-sounding names that they invented. Instead of "Honey Bee" you get "Loquisha". It's a modernization of the same tradition. Or even "Queen Latifah" who, I believe, really is named "Queen." Her name reflects both the old roots of this custom and the modern Islamified/Africanized version.

Thank you Kale I didn't know that, it is a but sad about why they did it first.

Amir is not a muslim name it is just an Arabic name meaning prince.

Well I haven't heard of non muslims having muslim names only African Americans may be but most are just Arab names.

Yeah, but now u don't know who's Muslim or not...that's the major problem, and u can't look at the last name cause converts might have non muslim names.

Sometimes African Americans keep the names Kareem, Rashid, Omar, etc. And obvious at times if they're Christians... :D

Thanks for the explanation Kale. :P

It doesn't really bug me about non Muslims having Muslim names though.. :D But I dunno anyone personally or that I've ever met who's had a Muslim name. :P

:w:

Edited by mm_ca04

Asalam alaikom,,

I personally dont think only muslims should have muslim names, and other cant have them,,,,

Its something that can't be controlled,, and its better that way...because if any non muslim has muslim name,, maybe one day he will discover that and will start thinking for the meaning ,, and who knows maybe his/her name will effect on him/her to start searching for the truth :D (Islam)

btw, you never can judge if a person is muslim or not just by the name . The person can be born muslim, can have a muslim name,, and he/she might not be muslim afterwards...does this make sense...???

all the ebst for brothers and sisters in Islam

samira

Justin Mohammed, Harold Hussain :D are from trinidad and big time.. non believers!

do i care? mm.. i thought why would a hindu have Mohammed in his name like me having krishna or ganesh in my name :D but.. whatever i dont think it bothers me!

Edited by doomhammer

asslamualaikum

one example the Pakistani Christian Cricketer Yousuf Youhana

He does the whole cross thing when he comes out to bat, and people were shocked he was Christian...though he has saved Pakistan loadz of time and is a good player :D

But it can be misleading at time

walaikumsalam

what is a muslim name? I didn't know if a name was arabic it was assumed to be muslim? is arabic the muslim language?

what is a muslim name?  I didn't know if a name was arabic it was assumed to be muslim? is arabic the muslim language?

what is a muslim name?.. difficult to explain.. but check for muslim baby names on google(contact admin if its a beneficial link) you will see some.

if the name is arabic: you cannot automatically assume it to be muslim although it may be. there are arabic christians and jews too! and they even speak arabic but they are not muslims!! get it??

there is no official muslim language i guess if you can call it that. sure all of us have to learn arabic since the Quran is written in arabic and it is mandatory for each and every muslim to complete the Quran atleast once in their life time.

but apart from that, muslims can have a wide variety of native languages. mine is urdu but i also speak arabic, english, french and hindi.. :D makes sense??

Edited by doomhammer

asslamualaikum

one example the Pakistani Christian Cricketer Yousuf Youhana

He does the whole cross thing when he comes out to bat, and people were shocked he was Christian...though he has saved Pakistan loadz of time and is a good player :D

But it can be misleading at time

walaikumsalam

:D i thought he was a muslim................

:D what if the non muslim has a religious name?! i mean, yeah ok they have the name and life goes on, but imagine a non muslim named Abdullah! i guess ppl just know that these names are beautiful. also i know a lot of born muslims with christian names, and they are arab, their whole family is muslim, so the world is just getting smaller and smaller.......

Christian arabs have names like Ibrahim instead of Abraham. Non-muslim keeping mulsim names is no biggie for me. But what irks me is that muslims that were born in Islam who have western names as thier parents wanted thier kids to b part of western society.

Yeh that is pretty freaky bro Mansoor.

My sister was working on a project for school with a girl named Fatima and turns out her family are Catholic and from Portugal...I was like ???. She knew the significance of the name in Islam though...very weird.

I have posted this on another thread, but Fatima also has relevance to Roman Catholics.

Peace!

The athletes Paki Brother is talking about probably don't have Muslim parents or Muslim roots. They're probably just black Americans.

African Americans have a long-standing tradition of giving their children creative names. This is because of their history as slaves. They would give their children distinct names in case the children were sold. It allowed them to keep in touch with their families -- they could ask travellers about family-members in other towns and be sure the news they heard was about the right person. A friend of mine has grandparents with very classic 'slave names' of this type: Her grandfather is named "King Marvin" (first name "King," middle name "Marvin") and her grandmother is "Honey Bee." Seriously.

Since Islam and an association between Islam and African pride arrived in the community of black Americans in the 1960's, many African American parents have given their children Islamic names, or Islamic-sounding names that they invented. Instead of "Honey Bee" you get "Loquisha". It's a modernization of the same tradition. Or even "Queen Latifah" who, I believe, really is named "Queen." Her name reflects both the old roots of this custom and the modern Islamified/Africanized version.

Asalaamo aleykum,

wow, never knew this , thanks for telling, very interesting ! :D

In Pakistan, our neighbours had thei four children officially Muslimnames ( as they are Muslim) but they name them all different Christian names, for it is "cool and modern" ...their names are now 'Sonny', 'Tina' and alike.....now that I find ugly to do !

Edited by Saffia_Amatullah

I never knew there was such an issue,I just assumed all names like that to be simply arabic.

I'm confused as to how a name can actually be Muslim,what about the Phrophet Mohammed,surely that was already his name before the religion of Islam began in the 7th century AD,or did he change his name???

The name doesn't always match the person though. Take for instance names such as Christian,Mary,Madonna(no not the pop star,the name) Jesus even, they are all first names most of them quite popular as first names,some not so popular depending on the country you live in.

as salamualikum

i know a guy whos name is muhummed and he isnt muslim...........how wierd is that? lol! turns out his mum went into labour before they could get her to the hospital so she had him at a roadside......andway a passerby stopped to help and his name was muhummed..............so he got named muhummed after the guy that helped deliever him.

of course everyoe assumes he is muslim but he is actaully a very religious buddist.

I think that it is best simply to allow parents to name their children whatever they want. The true Iman of a person can only be judged by Allah Subhana WaTa'ala.

But the reverse is not allowed at all. Rasulullah (saw) prohibited Muslims from imitating the disbelievers (like taking westernized names) or having bad and degrading names.

Interesting topic.

Justin Mohammed, Harold Hussain :D are from trinidad and big time.. non believers!

do i care? mm.. i thought why would a hindu have Mohammed in his name like me having krishna or ganesh in my name  :D but.. whatever i dont think it bothers me!

There is a difference. I believe krishna and ganesh are "gods" according to Hindus. Whereas "Mohammed" was the name belonging to a mortal human being (saw) who we believe was the best of creation, but not someone we worship. This is why there is no condition on people having the name Mohammed, although there are restrictions on having a name that belongs to Allah. :D

Personally if a non-muslim is given a muslim/Arabic name at birth - then fine I have no problem with it. However if someone changes their name to a Muslim name for an underhanded reason (deception of some sort, e.g. a non-muslim politician running for office in a muslim country under that pretence) then obviously that's something different.

There really isn't a such thing as a muslim name. Muslims are instructed to have names that have good meanings. That's it. So, if there was a name that meant God's gracious gift, wouldn't that be a nice name for a Muslim? The name Jocelyn means exactly that but it isn't considered a muslim name. There's nothing wrong with that name.

There really isn't a such thing as a muslim name. Muslims are instructed to havenames that have good meanings. That's it. So, if there was a name that meant God's gracious gift, wouldn't that be a nice name for a Muslim? The name Jocelyn means exactly that but it isn't considered a muslim name. There's nothing wrong with that name.

There are names that can be considered Muslim names. Such has Abdul <one of Allah's names>. Abdul means "slave of", so for example Abdul Rahman (slave of the All Merciful), Abdullah (slave of Allah) etc. :D