Islamic Forum
dzenan

Income Taxes

:D

how many people do their own income taxes (in US)? I am going to try and do my own this year, inshallah. How hard can it be?

PropellerAds

I have always done my own. If your finances are fairly uncomplicated then it is fairly simple to figure them out. If you are someone that does a lot of investing or are self employed then it can get complicated.

This year I am using Turbo Tax to do my taxes, it makes things very simple.

This is what I was thinking too. The only info I need to know is how much I've earned, and how much I've paid in taxes. I don't have any kids, property, or anything of the sort. I've downloaded TaxAct for free.

I love tax time, I use turbo tax. I love getting my refund. If you only have income, dividends (stock purchases/sells) and interest from investments it's really easy. Always try to find ways to add to your deductions, IE. school, interest paid on loans etc., they can be really beneficial.

The only info I need to know is how much I've earned, and how much I've paid in taxes.

Your employer is required by law to have mailed out a W-2 form to you with all that information by January 31. If you have not recieved it yet then contact them and they will send it to you.

I don't think the Tax softwares do a very good job.

We used tax softwares for two years, and the return would be around $200 or so. Then last year we did it through a professional, which incurred an $80 service charge, but the return was around $1200. So it was worth it, Alhamdulillah.