Islamic Forum
dot

The Issue Of Growing A Beard In Islam

Salamlaikum, Fear Allah does not mean to fear him as not to love him.

Aah i prolly cant explain this properly to you, but other will. We love Allah and we pray to him 5 times a day. When we fear him it is to obey him and not to gain his displeasure.

If He tells you to not steal, and you steal. Then shouldn't we fear Him?

Love and hope for his infinite mercy, and fear of his displeasure.

"My mercy outweighs My wrath"

PropellerAds

Salmalikum wr wb

ALLAHU AKABAR, how do people have the guts to say that the beard is not Waajib!? Astaghfirullah 'contemporary scholars." what is this!?

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.dawahacademy(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/linkup/link_click_out.php?action=free_link&n=34&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdawahacademy(contact admin if its a beneficial link)%2FMSM%2FDawahAcademy.com_Suliman_Mula-Is_Beard_Sunnah_or_Wajib.mp3"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.dawahacademy(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/linkup/link_cl...ah_or_Wajib.mp3[/url]

Listen to this and you will not only cry, but you will realise the importance of reflecting the image of our beloved Nabi(saw).

Salmalikum wr wb

This beard issue reminds me of what was said about another different issue on Ahadun forum:

Shaykh Yusuf al-Qaradawi when reaching the USA, noticed how an issue as this caused so much conflict between Muslims; not so much because of it's Fiqh, but because of the fashion in which extremism interprets it and leaves no room for moderacy, nuance or tolerance in the difference of opinion

Here's some links on beard:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=3&ID=2238&CATE=414"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=3&ID=2238&CATE=414[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=626&CATE=115"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=626&CATE=115[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.masud.co.uk/Islam/nuh/beard.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.masud.co.uk/Islam/nuh/beard.htm[/url]

salam alaikum

what should our intentions be when beggining to grow one?

Since beard is undoubtedly a great Sunnah, every Muslim male should try to practice this Sunnah according to the best of his ability. Allah does not take us to task for what is beyond our power or ability. We are told to fear Allah as best as we can." Shaving the beard is a way of imitating the disbelievers, and the Prophet of Allah has commanded us in numerous hadiths to contradict the people of the book (Jews and Christians) and to contradict the pagans and Magus. So since shaving the beard is a tradition practiced by non-Muslims, it makes it mandatory for the Muslims to contradict them by growing it

I've got one question.

Since it is distinct to Christians, Jews, and Pagans. What if a Pagan religion (mine) wears a beard. It's required.

So I think it is just a commendable objective. It doesn't need to be committed, but it is better to have a beard in the Islamic religion.

Peace Jersay!

A law is passed on the basis of a universal conditions. Shavingthe beard is a universal practices, hence growing a beard is required. If a pagan religion also requires it, that is an exception. Similarly, the Rabiis and the Sikhs are required to keep a beard. These examples do not affect the universality of the practice of shaving.

Peace out.

Assalamu-Alikum,

After reading it has made a lot of things very clear, and what are the stronger reasons and answers.

I have a personal question regarding the beard is what happens if you cannot grow one? I have only facial hair in the moustache and chin area. Hardly any facial fair on my cheeks (2mm max and in patches).

And regarding the age problem? should it be grown at any age?. Did the children or teenagers of our Prophet's (PBUH) time keep beards where possible? And the question of keeping a beard which can affect your marriage possibilities?

These are my only concerns of the beard.

I am not sure.

Well, Dr. Zakir naik(president of Islamic research foundation) says that growing a beard is not mandatory, it is only the sunnah of the prophet. But if your beard(label) shows your intent, then you should keep it. He further says that wearing your trousers above the ankles is more important than keeping a beard.

But I do not know what is the truth.

I also disagree with the connection between growing a beard and the hadeeth "whoever imitates a people he is one of them", not growing a beard doesn't necessarily mean you are imitating the mushrikeen, "al a'amalo benneyyat" maybe i want to shave my beard because i think i look better without it, not because i want to copy mushkrikeen. plus jews grow beards don't they?

:D

A lot of people say this as well. But, you have to think by what standards you are talking about. A lot of people also say 'I shave the beard to look clean, it has nothing to do with the mushrikeen.'

I disagree with that.

Here's why:

We (in the West) have grown up in a kafir society, kafir is all we see, all day. So you've been raised to beleive one looks cleaner without the beard. How can this be so, when Prophet Muhammad :D, the cleanest person ever, had a full beard?

If he ordered the beard, and Allah commanded us to follow the Prophet's :D orders, then it is wajib.

Everyone's excuse is 'to look clean.' but you all have to consider who's standards of clean you are using, and who you are calling dirty by making that statement.

May Allah guide us all to the straight path, insha'Allah.

:D

I think people shouldn't concentrate so much on something like growing a beard.

If I may, I'd like to compare this to females that wear hijabs.

Some sisters out there who wear hijabs, go out in the streets with tight jeans, heavily made up (you get the picture) As if they are trying to show themselves off. Or, another example, some sisters may wear a hijab but when talking to the opposite sex they may seem a little flirty or something (I think you can make out what im trying to say)

Whereas some sisters who don't wear a hijab, dress appropriately, and act appropriately, and have the intention of being true to Allah.

Which is better?

Same thing with the beard I think. What your beard looks like, or even if you don't have a beard isn't as important as how you act, and the impression you give to people. If a brother who didn't have a beard but acted in the proper way, then he has not sinned has he?

So basically im not saying people should/shouldn't have beards, or should/shouldn't shave them. Im saying that in my opinion the way you act and present yourself is more important.

That's my opinion,

Mehmet

Edited by Righteous

:sl:

:sl: this reaches everyone in their best health and Iman

According to Shaykh Ahmad Kutty:

"Growing a beard is considered a great Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). It is also one of the great legacies inherited from all of the previous prophets and messengers of Allah. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) ordered us: “Grow your beards and trim or clip the moustaches.†In light of such precedents, most of the past scholars and Imams go as far as declaring that growing a beard is obligatory on males.

What we stated above makes it clear that no Muslim should take the issue of the beard lightly. At the same time, we must also state categorically that one should not conclude from what has been said earlier that growing a beard in Islam has the same religious significance as that of the other prescribed rituals. This is definitely not the case. Thus it is important for us to recognize that we are not allowed to ostracize men who do not have beards nor are we to question their basic faith.

Since beard is undoubtedly a great Sunnah, every Muslim male should try to practice this Sunnah according to the best of his ability. Allah does not take us to task for what is beyond our power or ability. We are told to fear Allah as best as we can."

:sl: this reaches everyone in their best health and Iman

According to Shaykh Ahmad Kutty:

"Growing a beard is considered a great Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). It is also one of the great legacies inherited from all of the previous prophets and messengers of Allah. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) ordered us: "Grow your beards and trim or clip the moustaches." In light of such precedents, most of the past scholars and Imams go as far as declaring that growing a beard is obligatory on males.

What we stated above makes it clear that no Muslim should take the issue of the beard lightly. At the same time, we must also state categorically that one should not conclude from what has been said earlier that growing a beard in Islam has the same religious significance as that of the other prescribed rituals. This is definitely not the case. Thus it is important for us to recognize that we are not allowed to ostracize men who do not have beards nor are we to question their basic faith.

Since beard is undoubtedly a great Sunnah, every Muslim male should try to practice this Sunnah according to the best of his ability. Allah does not take us to task for what is beyond our power or ability. We are told to fear Allah as best as we can."

Assalam ALaikum

Jazaak Allah KHair sister for this Fatwa :j:

May Allah (SWT) bless us all.. ameen

Alhumdulillah.. since August 2006, I'm growing my beard.. I like my beard - BECAUSE IT IS SUNNAH.. :)

I want to grow a beard :/ It's not possible for me to though

Uhm.. because I am only 16 :sl: But, I have stopped shaving now so, we will see the end result lol. I doubt it will look how it should but oh well ~

well thats is there every1 shud try to grow beard if it possible ....regardin size we cannot say it fixed coz i guess people of some region they get full beards like ( middleeast,pakistan and some parts of india and yea south africa also) whereas people of other regions like (parts of india , east asia ,parts of north arabia like syria , indonesia , filipine) they dont get proper beard their beard are like few threads of hair coming out on chin only or sometimes on side only... . Also in some parts of western countries ppl are being persecuted just because of beards coz they think they belong to some bad community ( the reason y sikhs got persecuted :) ) and some places they r not given jobs coz of beard

It is very good sunnah i wud recommend all those who can grow shud grow even if it little .....but if u cannot i really hope that Allah will be ghafoor-arraheem in this case :sl: coz Allah doesnt see yr wealth , doesnt see yr faces but sees yr heart......

and yea many of us forget the other sunnah running behind zaahiri sunnah ....like how prophet (s.a.w) used to talk humbly , his smile , his generosity , his forgiving nature , his way of prayers ...all this also we shud imitate....which is more important coz i hv seen some ppl though wid long beard but r of very frustrated by nature :sl: ....dis just gives misrepresentation of our religion in front of others.....ppl easily ask did yr prophet(s.a.w.) teach like this ? etc

May Allah make easy for us to follow all types of sunnah of our beloved prophet ( may peace and blessing be upon him) ... :j: Ameen!!!

salaams peeps,

Perhaps this is a bit trivial, or it might come across as silly.....but are we allowed to shave any part of the beard to 'neaten' it up? Cos my beard is a strange! Its not very long, in fact some people think its no more than stubble. I get two little patches between my mustache and my beard, next to the end of my lips. So for the sake of appearance, am I allowed to shave these patches off?

Anyways I think we should all strive to purify ourselves. Appearance and identity is very important. I honestly think if you look the part it makes things a little bit easier. But of course the intention is the most important thing...we should grow the beard for the pleasure of Allah.

Peace

assalamau alaikum wr wb,

The issue of the beard is obviously a controversial one. A grave misconception is that this is simply a "sunnah" meaning an encouraged act/additional act to gain additional reward from the perspective of the scholars of fiqh or the Fuqaha. The contextual meaning of “Sunnah†differs from one group of scholars to another. The correct opinion based upon the evidences of all 4 mathahib is that in fact it is Fard, obligatory, wajib (they are all synonymous for our purposes). In terms of the length, as mentioned previous in the Hadith of Abdullah Ibn Umar that it is permissible to shorten it to a fists length. I heard this directly from one of the great scholars of our times. He said he used to think it is fard and also you should let it grow, but after examining the evidences and digging deeper, he has now moved from the opinion that it is permissible to trim to that of a fists length but it is still fard/obligatory.

I also heard another scholar say that the first people on Earth to shave their beards historically were the British homosexuals. Forgive me for the terminology.

The beard is one of the items of the fitrah or pristine nature or natural state of man or natural inclination of man that brings a person closer to Allah SWT. All the Prophet’s PBUT had beards, including the Prophet PBUH, all of the Sahaba, and all of the salaf, and all of the Khulafa’a ALRashidoon, and all of the righteous Imams after them.

Also, if I remember correctly during the time of Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal may Allah have mercy upon him, a sinful man was punished and they shaved his beard and put him on a horse in public view to humiliate him. (as a form of public humiliation).

I ask Allah SWT to guide us all to the straight path and to grant us useful knowledge and to grant us patience, persistence, and perseverance in practicing/applying what we have learned from Allah and His Prophet PBUH.

P.S. A special tip: Make Duaa to Allah SWT about the beard issue "Oh Allah allow us to see the truth as truth and provide us the means to follow it and allow us to see falsehood as falsehood and provide us the means to abstain from it." Allahoma Areena AlHaaq Haaqa wa irzooqna iteeba’aa, wa areeena AlBatil Batila wa irzooqna ijteenaba†Allah SWT will make the issue as clear as night and day to you. Let Allah SWT be your guide when there is doubt in your heart or doubt in your understanding.

I want to also point out one more thing: That Allah SWT promises us a deep and fulfilled promise when He SWT says in the Quran "And whoever fears Allah – He will make for him a way out. And will provide for him from where he does not expect. And whoever relies upon Allah – then He is sufficient for him. Indeed, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Allah has already set for everything a [decreed] extent.†[at-Talaq 65:3-4]

Jobs are nothing compared to your deen, don't sell out. Allah SWT is your provider, no one else, not even if your wife doesn't like the beard (Hadith of the Prophet PBUH -No obedience to the creation while disobeying the creator). Special circumstances should be reviewed and prescribed by the scholars, not by the laymen. The submission of Western "Islamic" scholars to much pressure does not make what Allah and his Prophet PBUH have legislated as void.

Finally, I want to say that there is “No compulsion in religionâ€. That each person chooses based upon many different factors such as knowledge, circumstances, background, culture, physical appearance, perception, to grow or not grow a beard, but let it not be a source of conflict amongst us. Being distinguished from the Jews and Xtians in physical appearance (in addition to excellent conduct) are among the maqasid or objectives of the legislation of the beard, for you are following the best of examples (The Prophet PBUH), taught by Allah SWT through the best of the angels (Gibreel AS) and sent with the best Book of guidance to all of mankind (The Quran) in which Allah SWT reveals about the Prophet PBUH “He does not speak out of his own desires, but it is only revelation being revealed†Every action of the Prophet PBUH in matters of the religion is revelation from Allah SWT through Gibreel AS.

May the peace and blessing of Allah be sent upon our Prophet Mohammed PBUH.

And Allah knows best

And Allah knows best

And Allah knows best

Peace

we are not allowed to ostracize men who do not have beards nor are we to question their basic faith.

Does this also apply to women who do not wear hijab?

Salaams

Assalamu alaikum, Jazaakallahu khairan Brother for the informative post, May Allah subhanaho wa Taala give us the courage and ability to follow he ccommandments as shown by our beloved Propet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam, ameen.

BTW. This thread is about men's beards, but since you asked Br. anthony, Yes we should not criticise women who do not wear Hijab, but we should make duaa that our sisters follow the Commandment of Allah Subhanaho Wa Taala regarding covering their Awrah in front of Non Mahrams. And we all know that this commandment comes directly from the Qur'an .

Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

Yep, I agree with Aunty umAhmad. Muslim girls/women should be taught about the virtues of Hijab and how it is a command from Allah (the Exalted). But this doesn't mean we criticize those who don't wear Hijab- we teach and make du'aa :sl:

Anyhow, back to beard in Islam!

salaams peeps,

From asking around, the general feeling I get is that brothers are afraid of losing out on job opportunities and so on because of having a beard. Employers don't like the way it looks. I think if brothers who already have a job or carreer started keeping beards, it may remove the stigma associated with the beard. Younger Muslim men will no longer need the excuse of reduced opportunities (because of the beard) and employers and industry can get used to the idea that professionals can have beards and still be presentable. Of course we should all be steadfast and try our best.

Peace

Assalamu Alaikum,

The beard for the man is like the hijab for the woman. Both must keep in mind that it is a wajib and pray that Allah taala makes it easy. We can all make excuses that we won't get jobs because of our hijab / beard, but ultimately, who is the Provider? When you leave something for the sake of Allah, Allah replaces it with something much greater. The key is your faith.

:)

Key is faith as you said sis.

May Allah make it easy for all brothers to keep a beard.Ameen.

We should be striving to follow the Prophet as much as possible so alhumdulilah beard is important. :sl:

Its sunnah. :)

Allahs curse is on them who imitate the disbelievers.

We should follow our role model,Prophet Muhammad(saw).

He was the best human to walk the earth so inshallah we should strive to be like him. :sl:

Alhumdulilah having a beard brings many blessings.

Check this link out.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetweneedtounite(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/beard.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetweneedtounite(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/beard.htm[/url]

:j:

Edited by Aaqib Ahmed