Islamic Forum
dot

The Issue Of Growing A Beard In Islam

if you die without having a beard, does it mean you will die a kaffir thus spending enternity in hell? :sl:

PropellerAds

Tell me suppose if some1 cannot grow beard like only few strands of thin hair here and there then ?

Dont compare beard with hijab some men cannot grow beard fully because it doesnt grow at all , Wearing proper clothes it is in ones own hand right?

Edited by mac111

It is a sin if you shave your beard.

Even if you have one hair growing, that is your beard, and you must keep it.

I find those with no beard, first of all, tend to critize the beards. This is becaues there imaan is low.

Assalamu alaikum Br. God's slave, you are right in saying whateever little hair a man has he should keep it as a beard, but I dont think it is right to generalize, like you did in your second sentence.

I find those with no beard, first of all, tend to critize the beards. This is becaues there imaan is low.

Only Allah knows what's inside a persons heart, so we are not to judge anyone. Whatever good or right things we do, we do it because Allah has given us the tawfeeq. Instead of judging people because of them not practicing a particular Sunnah or even leaving a Fard,(for whatever reason), the better alternative is to make duaa for them. InshaAllah we will get the reward for caring about someone and who knows because of our sincere duaas, Allah will guide someone on the right path, and it could become a source of Sawaab-e-Jaariyah for us.

Please take what I have posted in the right prespective. JazaakAllahu Khairan, Assalamu alaikum.

This is problem of generalization with every1 nowadays within muslims the bearded fellows think their imaan is high and tell the nonbearded fellow that their imaan is low.

And non-muslims think bearded guys as fanatics and nonbearded guys as moderate.

Noone can decide imaan or good or bad with the BEARD.

I personally don't grow a beard. It's messy, it's itchy, and i don't like it. I don't care what some "scholar" says. A scholar is basically an opinionated person who spends a lot of time reading about Islam. Like many of us on this forum.

Many people say that it's the sunnah of the Prophet. Well the Propher didn't drive a car, and the Prophet didn't speak English, so why should you?

Always go back to the Quran. The Quran doesn't ban shaving a beard. The undisputed word of God doesn't ban shaving of a beard.

Are you going to listen to God, or to some guy who claims he's quoting the Prophet?

I personally don't grow a beard. It's messy, it's itchy, and i don't like it. I don't care what some "scholar" says. A scholar is basically an opinionated person who spends a lot of time reading about Islam. Like many of us on this forum.

Many people say that it's the sunnah of the Prophet. Well the Propher didn't drive a car, and the Prophet didn't speak English, so why should you?

Always go back to the Quran. The Quran doesn't ban shaving a beard. The undisputed word of God doesn't ban shaving of a beard.

Are you going to listen to God, or to some guy who claims he's quoting the Prophet?

So according to you we should not listen to

'some guy' who claims he is quoting the Prophet.

BUT its ok to listen to

'another guy' who says the hadith are false, or

'another guy' who says "A scholar is basically an opinionated person "

strange, kind of , dont you think ?

then this another guy will say ' you dont have to listen to me, you only have to read the Quran and find it yourself '. and then what shall i say ????

:sl:

Now you have made me angry "dbzclips".

You don't grow a beard because you are very mislead person. You don't care what "some scholar" says.. well no one cares about what you say either. You don't follow the sunnah of The Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam, therefore you are lost and you instead follow your own made up ideology . You yourself have said that you do not pray 5 times a day.. yet you come here talking rubbish.

You don't like beards, so you don't grow one. So what's your excuse for not praying? I guess you don't like that either.

I feel sorry for you. The Prophet was the best among us, an example to us ALL. You apparently have studied Islam for the whole of your life yet you don't know this basic principle?! - guess you don't like RasoolAllah either (prove me wrong, please)

Say "If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

He who obeys the Messenger, obeys Allah. But if any turn away, We have not sent thee to watch over their (evil deeds).

You have turned away, that is your own problem and you will be held accountable for it if you don't repent. But don't try and spread your religion on these forums please.

I have about a dozen Hadiths I can quote on the sunnah of not shaving one's beard. But it seems you've already attempted to dismiss the Hadiths with "some scholar" and "some guy" excuses.

What you're saying in both this topic and the other (about salat not being compulsory) is that 99% of Muslims, both at the time of prophet Muhammad and afterward, are wrong because they prayed and grew their beard.

You're really in no position to make such claims. Say "I don't want to pray" and "I don't want to grow a beard" rather than trying to fool yourself (or letting Shaytan fool you) into believing that Allah is personally inspiring you to negate the words and actions of prophet Muhammad.

If the Qur'an was sufficient for everything, why would God send prophet Muhammad? He could have simply had prophet Muhammad deliver the Qur'an and then disappear, rather than staying behind to teach people through his own actions and words.

You need to re-evaluate your own beliefs and figure out where they're coming from. It seems something outside of Islam is greatly influencing you.

Salam.

We are told to fear Allah as best as we can.

Quran invites Moslems ( The Submitters) to love Allah ( The God) not to fear (27:10). fear is when you try to avoid something and try to be away from it. for God wants you nearer to Him ( khashia) ie humbelness (5:54) , (3:31) (9:24) etc...

most people dislike what they fear and God invites you to the love relation with Him which is the highest level of relation.

Quran invites Moslems ( The Submitters) to love Allah ( The God) not to fear (27:10). fear is when you try to avoid something and try to be away from it. for God wants you nearer to Him ( khashia) ie humbelness (5:54) , (3:31) (9:24) etc...

most people dislike what they fear and God invites you to the love relation with Him which is the highest level of relation.

Part of having taqwa is fearing Allah.

O mankind! fear your Lord! for the convulsion of the Hour (of Judgment) will be a thing terrible! [22:1]

O ye who believe! Fear Allah as He should be feared, and die not except in a state of Islam. [3:102]

Salam.

so i am not supposed to imitate kafir so i should grow a beard. ??????????

how about the Vikings they have more beard than binladden. the pagans in all prophet's time had a beard.. it was clearly a culture issue.

how about the mustache shaving? where did that go?

so i am not supposed to imitate kafir so i should grow a beard. ??????????

how about the Vikings they have more beard than binladden. the pagans in all prophet's time had a beard.. it was clearly a culture issue.

how about the mustache shaving? where did that go?

The pagans at the time of prophet Muhammad used to shave their beards as part of their worship. Prophet Muhammad encouraged his companions to grow their beards to distinguish themselves from them.

It is sunnah to grow a beard, because prophet Muhammad did so.

Salam.

Forgot to address the verse you quoted (27:10)

(O Musa! Verily, it is I, Allah, the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.) Allah told him that the One Who was addressing him was his Lord Allah, the All-Mighty, Who has subjugated and subdued all things, the One Who is Wise in all His words and deeds. Then He commanded him to throw down the stick that was in his hand, so that He might show him clear proof that He is the One Who is able to do all things, whatever He wills. When Musa threw that stick down, it changed into the form of a huge and terrifying snake, moving quickly despite its size. Allah says:

[ÃóáóãøóÇ ÑóÃóÇåóÇ ÊóåúÊóÒøõ ßóÃóäøóåóÇ ÌóÂäøñ]

(But when he saw it moving as if it were a Jann (snake).) Jann refers to a type of snake that is the fastest-moving and most agile. When Musa saw that with his own eyes,

[æóáøóì ãõÃúÈöÑÇð æóáóãú íõÚóÞøöÈú]

(he turned in flight, and did not look back.) meaning, he did not turn around, because he was so afraid. Allah's saying:

[íãõæÓóì áÇó ÊóÎóÃú Åöäøöì áÇó íóÎóÇÃõ áóÃóìøó ÇáúãõÑúÓóáõæäó]

(O Musa! Fear not: verily, the Messengers fear not in front of Me.) means, `do not be afraid of what you see, for I want to choose you as a Messenger and make you a great Prophet.'

[ÅóáÇøó ãóä Ùóáóãó Ëõãøó ÈóÃøóáó ÃõÓúäÇð ÈóÚúÃó ÓõæÃò ÃóÅöäøöì ÛóÃõæÑñ ÑøóÃöíãñ ]

(Except him who has done wrong and afterwards has changed evil for good; then surely, I am Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.) This is an exception of the exclusionary type. This is good news for mankind, for whoever does an evil deed then gives it up and repents and turns to Allah, Allah will accept his repentance)

The verse is part of the story of prophet Musa, who, after seeing the stick turn into a snake, became afraid and started to flee. Allah told him not to be afraid of what he saw.

Salam.

The pagans at the time of prophet Muhammad used to shave their beards as part of their worship. Prophet Muhammad encouraged his companions to grow their beards to distinguish themselves from them.

It is sunnah to grow a beard, because prophet Muhammad did so.

Salam.

I find that a bit funny, Vikings is a great example. They killed 1000s of people, robbed and burned down village (all Haraam). Spanish Conquistadors once again killed 1000s, robbed burned down villages.

Best example:

The Persian Empire. They had beards yet the leader said he was God and demanded to be worshiped. Oh and just to let you know many pagans during Prophets time had a beard. It depended on which god they worhsiped.

Actually i find your example funny.

I strongly believe that if the Vikings were to come to my city and if i was to mix with them.

everyone will easily identify them as vikings and will easily identify me as muslim.

I say this with the regular/usual looks that i get from all kinds of people. Have experienced this in India, France, UK, USA.

In fact there are the rastafarians and likes who are easily recognised not as muslims but rastafarians. on the other hand a white muslim with a beard in my experience also been recognized as muslim.

so your experince is textual and consists your own opinion while mine is practical and consists of the opinion and judgement of the rasool allaah sallaahu alayhi wasallam.

I hope i can shed some light on this situation, but i want you all to understand, i am only 14 years of age, and my knowledge so far is little compared to most of you brothers and sisters, i will state some facts i DO know below:

It is good to start growing a beard at the age of 16

The Prophet Muhammed (PBUH), had his moustache trimmed, it appeared not to be there, but it was

It was not only the Prophet (PBUH) who had a beard of a fists length, other names in the Quran give clues to prove this, for instance someone grabbed a traitor by the hand, with what?! His fist! This alleged traitor had a beard as long as, if not longer than the Prophets (PBUH).

Thank you all for reading my entry, and if a have offended or made a mistake please say so, i am always willing to learn and accept...

I hope i can shed some light on this situation, but i want you all to understand, i am only 14 years of age, and my knowledge so far is little compared to most of you brothers and sisters, i will state some facts i DO know below:

It is good to start growing a beard at the age of 16

The Prophet Muhammed (PBUH), had his moustache trimmed, it appeared not to be there, but it was

It was not only the Prophet (PBUH) who had a beard of a fists length, other names in the Quran give clues to prove this, for instance someone grabbed a traitor by the hand, with what?! His fist! This alleged traitor had a beard as long as, if not longer than the Prophets (PBUH).

Thank you all for reading my entry, and if a have offended or made a mistake please say so, i am always willing to learn and accept...

:sl: brother :sl:

I'm not sure where you got the age "16" from, there is no evidence to suggest this brother.

The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wassallam) advised us to grow our beards and trim our mustaches. I don't think there is any hadith of The Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wassallam) himself advising us to keep the beard at fist length, or that his mustache was trimmed to the extent that you could see through it. However, there are hadiths which show that Ibn Umar trimmed his beard to fist length, and trimmed his mustache very closely.

Question:

is there any recommended length of the beard traceable from Prophet Muhammad SAAW

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no recommended or specified length of the beard, because nothing to that effect has been narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). What has been reported is that the beard should be left as it is.

Muslim (2344) reported that Jaabir ibn Samurah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to have a very hairy beard.â€

An-Nisaa’ (5232) reported from al-Baraa’ that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard; according to another report, he had a bushy beard; according to another report, he had a wide beard.

Some scholars permit cutting the hair of the beard that exceeds the amount that may be grasped in the fist, because Ibn ‘Umar did this; but most of the scholars regard this as makrooh, which is more apparent because of the reports referred to above.

Al-Nawawi said: the best is to leave it as it is and not touch it or shorten it at all. (Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi, 8/39).

- As for the hadeeth, “He used to reduce the length and width (of his beard)†– this is a false and fabricated hadeeth.

See al-‘Ilal al-Mutanaahiyah by Ibn al-Jawzi, 2/686

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes for (the Meeting with) Allaah and the Last Day…†[al-Ahzaab 33:21]

“And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad) gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it).†[al-Hashr 59:7]

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah preserve him) said: The definition of the beard as stated by the scholars of (Arabic) language is: the hair of the face, jawbone and cheeks, in the sense that all the hair on the cheeks, jawbone and chin is part of the beard and removing any of it is counted as a sin, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Let your beards grow,†“Leave your beards alone,†“Let your beards increase,†“Let your beards be full.†This indicates that it is not permissible to remove anything from the beard. But the sin may vary in degree – shaving the beard is worse than shortening it, because it is a more obvious contradiction of the Sunnah.

For more information, see Question # 1189.

And Allaah knows best

Taken from (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=6657&ln=eng&txt=Beard%20fist%20length"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=6657&...20fist%20length[/url]

Part of having taqwa is fearing Allah.

O mankind! fear your Lord! for the convulsion of the Hour (of Judgment) will be a thing terrible! [22:1]

O ye who believe! Fear Allah as He should be feared, and die not except in a state of Islam. [3:102]

Salam.

Salaam

I am sorry to answer this when the thread has ended, but I have a problem fearing what loves me, if I fear something I would not want part in it, but I love Allah (swt) and he loves me, I could not know how to fear him.

Edited by Ibrahym

Assalamo alaykom jamee'an

I partially agree with those scholars. I agree with the part where you SHOULD grow a beard! But i disagree with the fist size thingy; there is no evidence that it should have the length of your fist!

I also disagree with the connection between growing a beard and the hadeeth "whoever imitates a people he is one of them", not growing a beard doesn't necessarily mean you are imitating the mushrikeen, "al a'amalo benneyyat" maybe i want to shave my beard because i think i look better without it, not because i want to copy mushkrikeen. plus jews grow beards don't they?

still i believe we should grow beards, since our prophet (PBUH) asked us to

any corrections would be appreciated

wassalam

ahmad mosa issa

Brother Ahmad,when we believe in the prophet and the Quran ,it is obligatory on our part to accept

what ever command we get from them.The teachings of the Quran and the sunnah of the prophet(pbuh) are the two sides of the same coin.He life is a model for all Muslims and his sayings

(ahadith)are nothing but the explanations of the various Quranic verses.Allah says in the holy book

that whatever the prophet gives you accept it and from whatever he forbids stay away from it.

So we don't have any choice of accepting or rejecting according to our desires or wishes.

But one thing is sure that if we want fallah in this world and the hereafter then we must follow in the

footsteps of the holy prophet(pbuh),otherwise we will become like the jews who used to argue with

their prophets in every matter which was not to their taste and who were ultimately punished by

God for their disobedience.

And every body can not hope to become an expert in jurisprudence (ijtihaad).It has taken years and

years of study,and hard work to become a Abu Hanifa or Imam Hanbal. You or me can never dream

of becoming like any one of them.

If this was absolute that mandatory why wasn't it mentioned in the Holy and Noble Quran? And how will it make me a better person? AND WHAT IS THE REASON FOR IT? JUST BECAUSE THE PROPHET(PBUH) HAD ONE? HIS ENEMIES DID AS WELL!

Assalamu Alaikum ya Akhee's wa Ukhtee's,

Al Hamdulilah by the grace of Allah ta'ala there is now a new company set up which specialises in grooming products for the brothers Beards. Just what you always wanted sisters No longer will you have to contend with your husbands wirey beard and split ends. From now on it will be soft soft soft..

Check out the websight at ######Beardcare.co.uk

you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_beardcare.co.uk/shop/page/1?shop_param=

Great if your stuck for gift idea's or if you just want to treat yourself.

For too long Brothers we have neglected our beards, now is the time to stand up and take Action!!!!

Please pass to your family and friend's and support our Muslim brother's businesses.

Barak Allah Fiq