Islamic Forum
dot

The Issue Of Niqab In Islam

:D

Wearing hijab (covering everything except the face and hands) for a Muslim woman is a fard (obligatory).

As for the niqab (which covers also the face and hands), the majority of scholars say that its not obligatory to wear a niqab. They say its aa added virtue to wear it, but not haram to leave it. Whats haram is revealing more than your face, hands and feet.

However, some hardline scholars say that its obligatory to cover everything (niqab), but those views are by a minority of scholars.

Let's read what sister amani collected for us, from different scholars, regarding the issue of niqab.

PropellerAds
Guest amani

The opinion that Niqab is not obligatory

Niqab is not required in the Islamic Law

Allah says in the most Holy Quran "And Say to the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (see the explanation below), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna" (Surah An-Nur, Verses #30 and #31)

We will see how the Salaf understood this matter:

1) The opinion of the Sahaba:

Ibn Abbas (ra) is one of the most learned men of the Sahaba (Companions). Prophet Muhammad () even prayed for him saying "O Allah, make him acquire a deep understanding of the religion of Islam and instruct him in the meaning and interpretation of things." He with reference to Surah An-Nur “except only that which is apparent” as Ibn Kathir narrated with a Sahih (authentic) chain of narrators, said it’s "The hand, the ring, and the face." Abdullah Ibn Omar Ibn Al-Khattab (ra) said “the face and the two hands”. Anas Ibn Malik (ra) said “the hand and the ring”. Ibn Hazm said: “all of this (statements) are in the highest of accuracy. And so are statements by Ali (ra), Aisha (ra), and other Tabi’een”.

Now you have to think who would understand these verses better than Aisha (ra) the MOST knowledgeable woman in the matters of Islam and the wife of Prophet Muhammad ()?

2) Scholars among the Tabi’een had many opinions on this matter:

Some said a woman should cover all of her body except the face and the hands. This is the saying of Imam Malik, Al-Hadi, Al-Qasim (in one of his narrations), and Imam Abu Hanifa (in one of his two narrations).

Some said she should cover all her body except the face, the hands, and the foot. This is the saying of Imam Abu Hanifa (in another narration), Al-Qasim, and Ath-thouri. Some said she should cover all her body except the face. This is the saying of Ibn Hanbal and Dawood.

No one said the face of a woman is loins (‘Aura) except a weak narration from Ibn Hanbal and some Shafi’i scholars!

Sa'id ibn Jubayr, 'Ata and al-Awzai have stated explicitly that the showing of the face and hands is permissible. 'Aishah (ra), Qatadah, and others have added bracelets to what may be shown of the adornments; this interpretation implies that a part of the arm may also be shown. Various scholars (such as Abu Yusuf) have allowed the exposure of the lower part of the arm up to a length varying between about four inches to one-half of the arm.

Ibn Hazm is the Imam of the Dhahiri schools (Literal schools) mentioned many accidents prove that it is not required for a woman to cover her face.

Guest amani

3) The opinion of late scholars:

Assuredly a woman is permitted to show her face and hands because covering them would be a hardship on her, especially if she must go out on some lawful business. For example, a widow may have to work to support her children, or a woman who is not well-off may have to help her husband in his work; had covering the face and hands been made obligatory, it would have occasioned such women hardship and distress. Al-Qurtabi says, it seems probable that, since the face and hands are customarily uncovered, and it is, moreover, required that they be uncovered during acts of worship such as Salat and Hajj, the exemption (referred to in the verses of Surah al-Nur) pertains to them.

In addition to this, we may infer from Allah's words, "Tell the believing men that they should lower their gazes", that the faces of the women of the Prophet's time were not veiled. Had the entire body including the face been covered, it would have made no sense to command them to lower their gaze, since there would have been nothing to be seen.

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Abbas: Al-Fadl (his brother) was riding behind Allah's Apostle and a woman from the tribe of Khath'am came and Al-Fadl started looking at her and she started looking at him. The Prophet turned Al-Fadl's face to the other side. The woman said, "O Allah's Apostle! The obligation of Hajj enjoined by Allah on His devotees has become due on my father and he is old and weak, and he cannot sit firm on the Mount; may I perform Hajj on his behalf?" The Prophet replied, "Yes, you may." That happened during the Hajj-al-Wida (of the Prophet). (Narrated by Bukhari # 589, Muslim, and others).

This Hadith is very authentic since it was narrated by Bukhari and Muslim. If she was covering her face then Ibn Abbas would know that she is beautiful! Also prophet () did not order the girl to cover her face. This hadith was not abrogated since it happened during Hajj-al-Wida (10 AH) while the Aya of Hijab was revealed in the 5th year after the Hijra.

the Above opinion that Niqab is not obligatory i held by the following:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/livefatwa/english/Browse.asp?hGuestID=p2U5MK"]Islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url] , (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicweb(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/beliefs/women/albani_niqab.htm"]Islamicweb(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url], (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamawareness(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Hijab/Niqab/questions.html"]Islamawareness(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url] , (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamfortoday(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/bbcarenaniqaab.htm"]Islamfortoday(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url] and others

Guest amani

The Opinion that Niqab is Obligatory

Question :

Is wearing niqaab one of the conditions of Islamic dress for women?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Hijaab in Arabic means covering or concealing. Hijaab is the name of something that is used to cover. Everything that comes between two things is hijaab.

Hijaab means everything that is used to cover something and prevent anyone from reaching it, such as curtains, door keepers and garments, etc.

Khimaar comes from the word khamr, the root meaning of which is to cover. For example, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Khammiru aaniyatakum (cover your vessels).” Everything that covers something else is called its khimaar.

But in common usage khimaar has come to be used as a name for the garment with which a woman covers her head; in some cases this does not go against the linguistic meaning of khimaar.

Some of the fuqahaa’ have defined it as that which covers the head, the temples and the neck.

The difference between the hijaab and the khimaar is that the hijaab is something which covers all of a woman’s body, whilst the khimaar in general is something with which a woman covers her head.

Niqaab is that with which a woman veils her face (tantaqib)…

The difference between hijaab and niqaab is that the hijaab is that which covers all the body, whilst niqaab is that which covers a woman’s face only.

The woman’s dress as prescribed in sharee’ah (“Islamic dress”) is that which covers her head, face and all of her body.

But the niqaab or burqa’ – which shows the eyes of the woman – has become widespread among women, and some of them do not wear it properly. Some scholars have forbidden wearing it on the grounds that it is not Islamic in origin, and because it is used improperly and people treat it as something insignificant, demonstrating negligent attitudes towards it and using new forms of niqaab which are not prescribed in Islam, widening the opening for the eyes so that the cheeks, nose and part of the forehead are also visible

Therefore, if the woman’s niqaab or burqa’ does not show anything but the eyes, and the opening is only as big as the left eye, as was narrated from some of the salaf, then that is permissible, otherwise she should wear something which covers her face entirely.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 1/ 391, 392)

Guest amani

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan (may Allaah preserve him) said:

The correct view as indicated by the evidence is that the woman’s face is ‘awrah which must be covered. It is the most tempting part of her body, because what people look at most is the face, so the face is the greatest ‘awrah of a woman. This is in addition to the shar’i evidence which states that it is obligatory to cover the face.

For example, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)…â€

[al-Noor 24:31]

Drawing the veil all over the juyoob implies covering the face.

When Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) was asked about the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodiesâ€

[al-Ahzaab 33:59] –

he covered his face, leaving only one eye showing. This indicates that what was meant by the aayah was covering the face. This was the interpretation of Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) of this aayah, as narrated from him by ‘Ubaydah al-Salmaani when he asked him about it.

In the Sunnah there are many ahaadeeth, such as: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The woman in ihraam is forbidden to veil her face (wear niqaab) or to wear the burqa’.†This indicates that when women were not in ihraam, women used to cover their faces.

This does not mean that if a woman takes off her niqaab or burqa’ in the state of ihraam that she should leave her face uncovered in the presence of non-mahram men. Rather she is obliged to cover it with something other than the niqaab or burqa’, on the evidence of the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) who said: “We were with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in ihraam, and when men passed by us, we would lower the khimaar on our heads over our faces, and when they moved on we would lift it again.â€

Women in ihraam and otherwise are obliged to cover their faces in front of non-mahram men, because the face is the center of beauty and it is the place that men look at… and Allaah knows best.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 1/396, 397

The Above opinion that Niqaab is obligatory is held by the following:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&QR=13646"]Islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url] ,(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_askimam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fatwa/fatwa.php?askid=5e06d748e3ce862b986866f33d3ac7"]Askimam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url] (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.fatwaonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]fatwaonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url] and others

Now that you've read what scholars had to say about the issue, please feel free to discuss it here. We remind our dear members to show due respect to ALL scholars in whatever your discussion takes you. Any violation will be met strictly according to our forum rules.

As-salaamu ‘alaikum

As for the Niqaab being obligatory or not then it is not an issue I have had to look into a great deal as I am not a women. I do not think that it is correct though to call trustworthy scholars who we turn to for guidance or people who hold the opinion that the Niqaab is an obligation as “hardlinersâ€, in fact, I hate the use of this terminology, especially when those “hardliners†have evidence, and very strong evidence for the positions that they take, not only that, such terms immediately make it look as if such a person is extreme, but as I have said before, the extreme ones are those who go overboard and those who water down Allaah’s Deen, such as those who in our times are making halaal what Allaah has made haraam, so refer to the other discussions in the ‘controversial issues’ thread for more about that.

So we have 2 valid difference of opinion, so we should respect each others views when their exists valid differences of opinion, and we should ensure that we only hold such a position based on the strength of the evidences as opposed to basing our opinions on emotional arguments and the following of our vein desires, so we should all look deep inside our hearts and ask ourselves, why do I hold the opinion that I do?!

My own position thus far (and it could change the more I research the issue) is that it is not an obligation to veil; however, I do believe that it is highly recommended to do so. As we know, there is a hadeeth, which is a hadeeth qudsi which was narrated on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (radee Allaahu ‘anhu), and he said that the Messenger of Allaah (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said that Allaah said:

“...My servant draws not near to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties I have enjoined upon him, and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him... (to the end of the hadeeth).†(Saheeh al-Bukhaaree)

So even if the Niqaab is not an obligation then it is still a highly recommended thing to do, and as we see in the above hadeeth, it is by performing the obligatory duties that one draws closer to Allaah and then by performing the recommended ones the servant continues to draw closer to Allaah until so that Allaah shall love such a person.

May Allaah make us of those who do not just the obligations, but also as much of the recommended deeds we can, amen!

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Further reading:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.al-ibaanah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/cms/pdf_files/46.pdf"]The Obligation of Veiling - By Shaykh Zayd bin Muhammad Haadee al-Madkhalee[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.bilalphilips(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/abouthim/artic03a.htm"]The Mistake of Those who Make the Veil an Obligation - By Shaykh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen al-Albaanee[/url]

Salaam,

seeing as most of the scholars are in agreement about most things being compulsary or forbidden (hijab or pork for example), surely when there is such great disagreement between them on an issue, logic says that mere mortal man is not going to be able to 'call' it one way or another.

Those that say it is optional normally also say it is a good thing if s woman chooses to wear it. Those that way it is compulsary obvioucly don't take the same step the other way.

As I know different people follow different scholars, why can people not accept on this issue that it is ultimately the choice of the individual whether to think niqaab 'merely' desirable or compulsary? I believe that is what happens on other issues where there is disagreement: people respetfully agree to disagree. On this issue, for some reason, this seems not to be happening.

On a completely personal level, if I see a woman wearing Hijab I pay about as much attention as if I saw someone wearing a pair of jeans. When I see a woman wearing niqaab I find it vaguely unsettling (for some reason I've not been able to put my finger on it). I think it's because we use the face as a point of reference and identification and the absence of this is 'alien'.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

:D brothers and sisters.

On a completely personal level, if I see a woman wearing Hijab I pay about as much attention as if I saw someone wearing a pair of jeans. When I see a woman wearing niqaab I find it vaguely unsettling (for some reason I've not been able to put my finger on it). I think it's because we use the face as a point of reference and identification and the absence of this is 'alien'.

Peace, Darla :D

Whether women in Islam wear a hijaab by itself, or with a niqaab, it is for the sake of Allah and for the sake of not attracting men, and it should not worry or trouble us what other people think.

Edited by xXxXMuslima-4-LifeXxXx

Maulana Maududi's translation of the verse instructing women on hijab is as follows (underlined by me for emphasis):

33:59 O Prophet, enjoin your wives and daughters and the women of the believers that they should let down over their faces a part of their outer-garments; it is expected that they will thus be recognized and not molested. Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

His tafsir contains the following on the underlined text:

Jilbab is a large sheet and idna' is to draw close and wrap up, but when this word is used with the associating particle ala, it gives the meaning of letting something down from above. Some modern translators, under the influence of the West, have translated this word "to wrap up" so as to avoid somehow the Command about covering of the face. But if Allah had meant what these gentlemen want to consture, He would have said: yudnina ilai-hinna and not yudnina alai-hinna. Anyone who knows Arabic knows that yudnina 'alai-hinna cannot merely mean "wrapping up. " Moreover, the words min jalabib-i hinna also do not permit of this meaning. It is obvious that the preposition min here signifies a part of the sheet, and also that wrapping up is done by means of a whole sheet and not merely by a part of it. The verse, therefore, clearly means : The women should wrap themselves up well in their sheets, and should draw and let down a part of the sheet in front of the face.

This same meaning was understood by the major commentators who lived close to the time of the Holy Prophet. Ibn Jarir and Ibn al-Mundhir have related that Muhammad bin Sirin asked Hadrat `Ubaidah as-Salmani the meaning of this verse. (This Hadrat `Ubaidah had become a Muslim in the time of the Holy Prophet but had not been able to visit him. He came to Madinah in the time of Hadrat 'Umar and settled down there. He was recognized as equal in rank with Qadi Shuraih in jurisprudence and judicial matters). Instead of giving a verbal reply Hadrat 'Ubaidah put on his sheet and gave a practical demonstration by covering his head and forehead and face and an eye, leaving only the other eye uncovered. Ibn 'Abbas also has made almost the same commentary. In his statements which have been reported by Ibn Abi Hatim and Ibn Marduyah, he says: "Allah has commanded the women that when they move .out of their houses for an outdoor duty, they should conceal their faces by drawing and letting down aver themselves a part of their sheets, keeping only the eyes uncovered. " The same explanation of this verse has been given by Qatadah and Suddi.

All the great commentators who have passed after the period of the Companions and their immediate followers have given the same meaning of this verse.

Source : (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.translatedquran(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/meaning.asp?sno=33&tno=1106"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.translatedquran(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/meaning.asp?sno=33&tno=1106[/url]

Wassalam

I work in a place where there are some girls who wear niqab and girls who wears hijab only. There are lots of male colleagues. Frankly, those of us who wears hijab only face some problems when dealing with the men in our work, because as much as we try to put some boundaries we still feel that sometimes they forget and we forget that we are girls and they are men!

For example, when a girl who wears niqab greets her colleagues in the morning she’ll say hi, how are you and that’s it, no one can see her face, and so no can see her smiling. But when a girl who wears hijab only greets her colleagues she’ll say hi and will smile when she is greeting, and after this smile long conversations will follow!

I noticed that, men stay and keep a long distance when talking to girls with niqab, and talk to them shortly. On the other hand, they might just do the opposite with girls with hijab. In other words niqab really makes men respect women.

Its really very difficult when a girl works in an enviroument that is full of men, the girl has to be very careful when dealing with her colleagues. And I found out that niqab really helps in keeping boundaries and force men to respect the girl. Even when going out, many people keep looking and sometimes staring at our faces! They will never do that to a girl wearing niqab.

One of my friends decided to wear niqab, because she kept hearing lots of remarks about her face and her smile from her professors at college. After wearing niqab she says that she is happier because no one dares now to say anything about her! She says niqab does not only makes men respect you, but it also teaches you when to be a real lady.

I think niqab really helps in protecting women, and I’ve been in so many bad situations that are making me now consider wearing niqab.

Thank you

Ibn Kathir in his tafir translates the ayah thus:

(33:59. O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their Jalabib over their bodies. That will be better that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.)

The abridged version of his inetrpretation is as follows:

The Command of Hijab

Here Allah tells His Messenger to command the believing women -- especially his wives and daughters, because of their position of honor -- to draw their Jilbabs over their bodies, so that they will be distinct in their appearance from the women of the Jahiliyyah and from slave women. The Jilbab is a Rida', worn over the Khimar. This was the view of Ibn Mas`ud, `Ubaydah, Qatadah, Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Sa`id bin Jubayr, Ibrahim An-Nakha`i, `Ata' Al-Khurasani and others. It is like the Izar used today. Al-Jawhari said: "The Jilbab is the outer wrapper. `Ali bin Abi Talhah reported that Ibn `Abbas said that Allah commanded the believing women, when they went out of their houses for some need, to cover their faces from above their heads with the Jilbab, leaving only one eye showing. Muhammad bin Sirin said, "I asked `Ubaydah As-Salmani about the Ayah:

[يُدْنِينَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِن جَلَـبِيبِهِنَّ]

(to draw their Jalabib over their bodies.) He covered his face and head, with just his left eye showing.''

[ذلِكَ أَدْنَى أَن يُعْرَفْنَ فَلاَ يُؤْذَيْنَ]

(That will be better that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. ) means, if they do that, it will be known that they are free, and that they are not servants or whores.

[وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُوراً رَّحِيماً]

(And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.) means, with regard to what happened previously during the days of Jahiliyyah, when they did not have any knowledge about this.

Wassalam

Assalamu Alaikum wr wb!

Some dangers of having a niqabi society:

If a man were to wear Niqab in a country like Saudi Arabia he could easily pass for a woman, there would be no way to identify him as a man. If he wanted to harm women it would be easier as he would be able to enter women's bathrooms and other women's places. Niqab would hide his identity and so it he were able to escape the crime scene no one would be able to identify him afterwards, since he would have been covered 100%. He could easily walk the same streets, pray in the same masjid, and revisit the area of his assault unnoticed and without any suspicion.

I heard that Michael Jackson frequents small, rich Arab countries, mainly to go unnoticed in shopping malls. It was reported that he was recognized by a woman in a women's bathroom who was actually excited to see him and tried to take his picture with her cell phone.

If a woman were to have criminal tendencies and had killed another woman in a public area (while wearing Niqab), she could run away and blend into a crowd of other Niqabis. There would be no way to figure out who she was as a face is the primary way of identifying individuals.

I could just picture KSF's version of America's Most Wanted, the top 10 pictures showing 10 fully veiled individuals. There would be no need to walk into a bank with a ski mask or a beanie pulled over the face(which would be highly suspicious), all the robber would have to do is dress up as a niqabi and face no suspicion whatsoever upon entering and have minimal to no chances of being identified if able to leave the bank in a getaway car.

If a woman were to be kidnapped or missing in KSF how would she be found? Nobody can call the police and report having spotted her somewhere as she would probably have been wearing Niqab and she'd look just like every other women there.

Please share ur thoughts.

WS

source: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=30576"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=30576[/url]

Peace!

Guest amani

well with regards to that, being a niqabi myself and knowing many niqabis you actually can tell the difference and spot out women veiled. that isnt an issue. yes there may be some people who may want to wear the veil and dress as a woman unnoticed, but hey men dress like women anyhow sometimes? what difference does it make?

id say for everything there is a right way and a wrong way. one could rob a bank by entering it looking like a totally innocent person. it doesnt take a veil or whatever.

source: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=30576"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=30576[/url]

Peace!

The whole quote is based on suppositions. I was thinking of counting the number of 'ifs', then I gave up as it was an exercise in futility.

The thing is that some scholars and Muslims consider niqab obligatory. To ridicule them is wrong, as they may be right.

Wassalam

but there are some very valid points of real life examples on how wearing the niqab can make it extreemly hard -if not impossible- to fight certain crime.

Like for example:

If he wanted to harm women it would be easier as he would be able to enter women's bathrooms and other women's places. Niqab would hide his identity and so it he were able to escape the crime scene no one would be able to identify him afterwards, since he would have been covered 100%

To ridicule them is wrong, as they may be right.

just as they might ridicule people who don't wear niqab, so is my right to ridicule them, although I don't, im merely pointed out some very relevant arguments against the use of the niqab.

I have read into the niqab/hijab thing, and most scholars agree that only hijab is compulsory, but there are always different opinions. Peace

Assalamu Alaikum, How many men wear a veil and commit a crime. As a woman who wears a veil, I know the many weird looks I get when I go to my Bank. I have the same bank for the last 20 years, so much so that I am on first name basis with everyone there, and the Bank people notice this too, so they just call me to their cubicle where I do my transactions comfortably while sitting and talking and sipping coffee with them. You are the focus of all the people, If someone wants to do something wrong, they would want to look like the next person, would'nt they?? and imagine how easy it would be for them to be caught, specially in Western and European countries.

Men dressing as women and Women dressing as men has been going on for ever, they don't need a Niqaab they can easily dressup as women if they want to, and no one would recognise them. Look at all the Transexuals, and cross dressing people. How can you be sure that when you use the Rest room in a Service centre all the people in there are Women next time in a public washroom be careful, the woman at the sink washing hands in the ladies washroom could be a man, and the man drying his hands next to you in the mens washroom could be a woman.

Yvonne Ridley was wearing a Burqa and Niqaab, she was a lady and she was caught by the people in Afghanistan, The people or Police in the countries where Niqaab is common have a sixth sence about these things. YES THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS, nobody will deny that.

The whole quote is based on suppositions. I was thinking of counting the number of 'ifs', then I gave up as it was an exercise in futility.

The thing is that some scholars and Muslims consider niqab obligatory. To ridicule them is wrong, as they may be right.

Wassalam

I agree with you Br. AbuRafay, to many ifs and buts, You cannot move an inch or do anything if we are that nervous, what if I go outside fall and break my neck, what if I sleep and won't be able to breath, what if I start the car and it won't shut off, what if, what if what if. Are we going to stop living.

The mothers of the Ummat RadiAllahu Anhumaa used to cover their faces, and so some of us sisters, would like to follow our mothers, so please leave us alone. I have been using this term a lot lately in the posts, so here it is one more time, LIVE AND LET LIVE.

salaam sis.

Sure it's your right for covering up using niqab, god bless you.

However what the arguments against the niqab was mainly that in a muslim country where most women wear the niqab, a lot of criminals could disguise themselves thus avoiding detection/capture because EVERYONE would look identical.

Assalamu alaikum, If you read my whole post , you might find other useful information too.

I know Br. anthony you just want to prove a point, you were the one is'nt it who was concerned about men not covering their awrah properly in one of the world cup posts.

Believe me Men do not need a Niqaab or Burqa or Hijab to hide themselves. Wearing those will only make them more vulnurable and caught easily.

Assalamu alaikum, Sis. umAhmad.

Wearing those will only make them more vulnurable and caught easily.

How will it make them more vulnerable? if everyone is wearing niqab...everyone looks the same.

concerned about men not covering their awrah properly

Yep it was me, but what does that have to do with this thread?

Peace

anyways im of the view considering niqab to not be compulsory, but optional, as brother dot has shown with his references.

Sa'id ibn Jubayr, 'Ata and al-Awzai have stated explicitly that the showing of the face and hands is permissible.

Some said she should cover all her body except the face, the hands, and the foot. This is the saying of Imam Abu Hanifa (in another narration), Al-Qasim, and Ath-thouri. Some said she should cover all her body except the face. This is the saying of Ibn Hanbal and Dawood.

No one said the face of a woman is loins (‘Aura) except a weak narration from Ibn Hanbal and some Shafi’i scholars!

Some said a woman should cover all of her body except the face and the hands. This is the saying of Imam Malik, Al-Hadi, Al-Qasim (in one of his narrations), and Imam Abu Hanifa (in one of his two narrations).

Sa'id ibn Jubayr, 'Ata and al-Awzai have stated explicitly that the showing of the face and hands is permissible. 'Aishah (ra), Qatadah, and others have added bracelets to what may be shown of the adornments; this interpretation implies that a part of the arm may also be shown. Various scholars (such as Abu Yusuf) have allowed the exposure of the lower part of the arm up to a length varying between about four inches to one-half of the arm.

Ibn Hazm is the Imam of the Dhahiri schools (Literal schools) mentioned many accidents prove that it is not required for a woman to cover her face.

Edited by anthony19832005

Assalam Aleikom Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Probably I am not all knowledge in Islam and probably I don't have read a lot of Hadiths, I seek refuge and knowledge in Allah ( swt ) but for my humble understanding I take this from the Holly Qouran...

... And tell the belivieng women to lower their gaze from looking at forbidden thing and protect their private parts from illegal sexual acts and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent ( like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc ) and to draw their veils all over jurubihinna ( i.e. bodies, faces, necks and blossoms ) and not to reveal their adornement except for their husbands, fathers, or their sons or their husbands sons or their bothers sons or their mothers sons or their sisters sons, or their muslim women ( i.e. sisters in Islam).... Surah 24. An Aur Aya # 31

From my point of view the issue regarding wearing or not wearing neqab will always be controversial, specially for sisters living in western countries ( which is my case ). Those who does it for the sake of Allah ( swt ) they will get their reward by Him Insh'Allah, personally i decided to became a neqabi sister, I made my desition last year during the Holly month of Ramadan, but unfortunatelly here in America i had suffer hassle in the streets, i got insulted and being called names, I am sure everybody this days knows what I am talking about. I am a 18 year old girl but my Iman is strong, i decided to remove niqab temporary more by the pression of my parents, they fear for me if I had to go out to school or even to the store, but as I said is temporary because I am sure I will wear it again soon insh'Allah.

But from my experience i must tell that i felt more free in my religion when i had my face cover, i felt more protected and more strong, also i felt more in peace, is another feeling when u can see the world but nobody cant see you, I felt honored!!!

Its true that hijab is mendatory I dont have no doubts about it and i know niqab is something extra that if you do it for the sake of Allah you will find yourself very very strong, I felt it, I lived it, and Insh'Allah i will do it again and this time i wont remove it...

All my prayers and dua'as for the sisters who wears niqab, I really admire you.

I also admire sisters who wear Niqab despite of al opposition against them wither it's from parents or relatives or friends or people around, it really makes me feel the Honor and Glory of Islam when I see a Niqabi woman walking by her hubby and their kids between them and on the contrary another woman shows more than what she should cover, the 2 extremes make me think, what would make a Woman like that Niqabi one bears hot weather, sarcasm from people and al hardship to keep herself covered unless it's with great strength and sincere faith of Allah and truthful belief that her beauty, honor and precious in protecting herself and hiding her beauty from al others except her Husband.

My Advice to al Niqabi women to keep strong and knowing that your so precious in front of Allah and his pious believers.

As a female muslim...Allah asked me to cover all but my face and hands....covering the face is optional and is a great thing that a muslim women can do espichally in times like this where its being fought everywhere.

but ofcource its not good when its compulsory or convinced to be wearen by 10 and 12 year old's!!!

but it is a beautiful thing to do for Allah.

Assalaamu'alaikum,

This is why I question this religion all the time. To even concieve of looking at something considered "haram" will instantly doom me and I'm suddenly the embodiement of evil. Even the face of a woman. And if a woman for some odd reason a woman decides to show her ankle or forearm, she's suddenly breaking serious Islamic laws and can be punished....

I'm glad that there is a debate of the obligatory status of the hijab (especially in this day and age). I feel that women should have the right to dress accordingly while maintaining the modesty require of Islam (wether it be the hijab or niqab or neither). If suddenly the niqab becomes a requirement, it would be troubling to me....even if it is a "beautiful" thing to do for Allah. :D

Frankly, I see nothing "honorable" or "glorious" when a woman wears the niqab. It appears more as a traditional thing similar to how Sikhs who wears their turban or a Japaneese woman who wears their kimonos everywhere. Also, probably due to the fact that i've never actually seen it before until recently in the news or magazines which is why as a Muslim myself, I actually find it very foreign and shocked to hear that it may actually be required for my wife (when I marry).

I dunno, perhaps I'm not as a good Muslim as I should be, but thats just my opinions.

Assalaamu'alaikum