Islamic Forum
Nic the Muslim

Just Converted! Just A Few Questions....

Hello,

My name is Nic, and I've been looking for a place to explore/expand my new found faith in Islam. I figured that since this is my first post, it would be benficial to ask my first questions here. I hope I can get some answers soon. My questions are as follows:

1) Do I have perform Wudu peform reading my Quran?

2) I am having trouble learning my Salah, can I perform it with a text in front of me? (I am extremely eager to start praying, but unsure if this is okay)

3) I have the Quran on my iPod (both text/audio). I have deleted all my music except that by Muslim singers (Yusuf Islam) - is okay to put not Islamic singers on my iPod w/ the Quran?

4) I have not fasted yet - am I really a Muslim at this point?

5) I am a smoker. I've found it very hard to quit. Will I go to the hereafter if I continue?

Thanks alot, any help as soon as possible would be much appreciated.

PropellerAds

salam alikum

yep you do if you are going to read the the arabic quran

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=10672&ln=eng&txt=touching"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=1067...mp;txt=touching[/url] quran

2) I am having trouble learning my Salah, can I perform it with a text in front of me? (I am extremely eager to start praying, but unsure if this is okay)
May Allah reward you for your eagerness, Yes go ahead and use text in front of you slowly iA with practice you wont need text.

Ofcourse you are.

5) I am a smoker. I've found it very hard to quit. Will I go to the hereafter if I continue?

Everyone dies and is raised up (hereafter). You should try to quit contact your local health service who will help you do this professionaly, ofcourse will take time.

:sl: Dear Brother In Islam :D

inshallah your well.

Welcome to IF.

I'm delighted to hear the news that you've become muslim. :D

May Allah reward you immensely for it,ameen.

Hope the above post answers your questions.

Feel free to ask any further questions :no:

Do you want a nice flash that shows the prayer?

If so check this out:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetjannah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/learn/flashprayer1.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetjannah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/learn/flashprayer1.html[/url]

Hope that helps.

As said above yes your a muslim. :D

Since all one has to say is the Shahada from the heart.

"I testify that there is no god worthy of worship but God (Allah), and I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of God."

Brother things will get easier over time :j:

Allah doesn't burden a soul beyond it's scope.

And Islam is a religion of ease

So take things slowly,learn then implement them into your daily life :D

As a muslim your sins are like a new born babies. :D

If you require any support or assistance feel free to ask us?

Take Care

:sl:

Assalamo alaikum

A very warm welcome to the forum dear brother, and congratulations on taking the most important decision in one's life. Welcome to Islam, the best way of life there is.

I'll try to answer your questions the best I can, but let me warn you that I'm not a scholar, so the following answers are not out of authority. We all here try to help the best we can, within our limited knowledge.

1) Do I have (to) perform Wudu (before I) peform reading my Quran?

It is better to do so. It is not a sin to hold the Quran without performing ablution (wudu), yet it is recommended to do so. It also depends on the purpose. If you're studying it, like students do for example, you don't have to do ablution, otherwise its recommended that you do. If you're in a train for example, where ablution is not available, try to read it without directly touching it.

This is not recommended, specially if you're praying a fard (any of the 5 daily prayers). You can do so if its a nafela (sunnah). Its really easy to memorize what you need for salah. All you need for starters is 2 surahs (chapters): al fatiha (chapter 1) and any short surah, like chapter 112

Here is an easy way to help you memorize from the Quran, for non-Arabic speakers: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?s=&showtopic=42453&view=findpost&p=450162"]click here[/url]

3) I have the Quran on my iPod (both text/audio). I have deleted all my music except that by Muslim singers (Yusuf Islam) - is okay to put not Islamic singers on my iPod w/ the Quran?

Insha'Allah its ok brother. Some, not all, scholars consider musical instruments haram (unlawful), but many others find that musical instruments themselves are not haram, its what they're used for that's what matters. There are millions of Muslim fans for Yusuf Islam. We even have some of his songs in this forum.

You become a Muslim as soon as you say the shahada (declaration of faith).

Fasting, as one of the 5 pillars of Islam, is required only in the month of ramadan. Ramadan comes this year around Spet 1st, 2008. Make sure you fast that month insha'Allah this year, and every coming year.

Smoking was issued recent rulings prohibiting it. It is not specifically mentioned in the Quran, but since the Quran and sunnah prohibit us from hurting ourselves by consuming anything harmful to our health, scholars issued rulings that it is haram to smoke.

I recommend that you try hard to quit. However, if you must know, there are millions of Muslims who still smoke. Its a deadly habit, but admittedly, it needs strong will, time and effort to get over it. I wish you the best in fighting it.

For more help, quick how-to's and simple tutorials, please go (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/show.php/showtopic/257749.html"]here[/url]

I pray that Allah AlMighty keeps you on the straight path, and fill your heart with the beauty of Islam and the Quran.

Please remember me in your duaa/suplications. Being a new revert to Islam, you're now pure as a new born baby, with a clean slate. It means so much to make duaa for anyone, specially those far away from you :sl:

Peace and welcome to the forum Nic, and welcome to Islam, with all Praise due to Allah.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

dot has covered your questions; regarding your last question, I want to add that the importance of good health is stressed in Islam to the extent that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, advised members of all ages to strike a balance in what they eat and drink. God willing, Ramadan is approaching this September, and since it will be your first 30 days of fasting, it will be a great opportunity to try and quit smoking.

Salaam and du'aas

As salamu alaykum,

welcome to Islam! Discover all the beauty it has. You can find all the answers about both in this world and hereafter in Islam. :sl: Why don't you tell us the reasons that you have chosen being a muslim?

Edited by muzur

As salamu alaykum,

welcome brother to the forum and to Islam! alhumdillah for becoming a muslim.

Brother Dot mashallah answered all your questions and there isn't much I could really add, but I would like to encourage you to start trying to quit smoking so when Ramadan inshallah comes it's easier to fast without having the urge to smoke.

masalaama

Salam Alaykum Wa RahmaTullah "may Peace and mercy of Allah be upon you"

THis is a muslim way of Greeting :sl:

and Normally "salam alaykum" = Peace unto you

it is Recommended and better to do so...while its not Wrong or a sin To read it without doing The Wudu...while concerning the Internet Qurans...its seems Okay all toghter since nobody is holding it :sl:

Try Memorizing Quran Bit by bit and Also Take Shorter Verses and study Surah al fatihah.

THere is was a Woman That only knew how to say "Allahu Akbar" God is greatest and her prayer was accepted. so While you study in detail its Okay if you start praying while you learn along the way.

Depending what they are used for its allowed..but there are differences between scholars but overall its acceptable and Nothing is wrong with it.

Yes you are a Muslims all that is needed is the Shahada

"There is no God but Allah and muhammed(pbuh) is his messenger" in arabic

It would be Good for your health Brother to Quit

Smoking is Damaging to The Body..and its a Form of Slow suicide as taking in Poison that has a long term effect on the person :no:

YOu must stay healthy brother so you can run at A old Age with your kids haha.

but besides that its Procees of Quiting since if you have "intention" of quiting but are physically not able to do that in one time ....Do remember its the intention that matters brother :j:

SO take your time Taking step by step Measures to quit smoking for your health

its prohibited to smoke because it damages the body.

Remember the "intention" and will to Quit is important !

May Allah bless you always !

and Welcome to Islam brother