Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zukiful

First Holocaust Cartoons Entry! By An Aussie!

:D

Leunig publishes Holocaust cartoon

February 14, 2006

AUSTRALIAN cartoonist Michael Leunig has sent cartoons deemed "inappropriate" for publication in Australia to a contest calling for the best Holocaust cartoons launched in Iran today.

The competition was launched by Iran's biggest-selling newspaper Hamshahri in retaliation for the caricatures of the prophet Mohammed that have enraged Muslims worldwide.

The cartoons submitted by Leunig, the first entrant in the competition, were rejected for publication in The Age in 2002 by then editor Michael Gawenda.

The first of Melbourne-based Leunig's two cartoons show a poor man with a Star of David on his back walking towards the Auschwitz death camp in 1945 with the words "Work Brings Freedom" over the entrance.

The second shows the same scene but depicting "israel 2002" with the slogan "War Brings Peace" over the entrance and the same man walking towards it bearing a rifle.

Advertisement:

Mr Gawenda told ABC television's Media Watch program in May 2002: "I think it's just inappropriate. Anyone seeing that cartoon would think it inappropriate."

Leunig drew the cartoon for The Age at the height of fighting between israelis and Palestinians in the West Bank.

Leunig

to contiue...

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18141781-29277,00.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18141781-29277,00.html[/url]

PropellerAds

a very good article . the best one on the subject ive seen by mainstream media. they do however suck to israel in the final sentence.

still, anti-holocaust/anti-jewish cartoons shouldnt be published(unless they are political)

:D I don't think it's anti-semitic or anti-Jewish. It's true, is it not? I mean, Leunig sounds like a Jewish name, does that mean he's anti-Semitic?

I think if they drew the guy with a big nose or something, then it would be anti-Semitic.

Edited by Jibrael

As SAlaam Alaikum,

Astagfullah. Muslims sink to new levels everyday.

Are they really making fun of a situation where BABIES were thrown in the air and shot, burned, and gassed? Are they really making fun of a situation where children adn women were rounded up and killed? This is how a Muslim can respond to a cartoon? By making fun of innocent people killed?

salaam

As SAlaam Alaikum,

Astagfullah. Muslims sink to new levels everyday.

Are they really making fun of a situation where BABIES were thrown in the air and shot, burned, and gassed? Are they really making fun of a situation where children adn women were rounded up and killed? This is how a Muslim can respond to a cartoon? By making fun of innocent people killed?

salaam

Peace Minority Opinions, and to all...

Spot on post, M.O..

I am a non Muslim who has viewed the cartoon controversy from a place of respect for the feelings of my Muslim friends and as a result of what I have learned from members of this board. In the recent weeks, I have explained to friends and family members why they should consider the reasons behind the Muslim objection to the offensive cartoons. Some may have even listened to me.

With that said, I am absolutely appalled that the publishing of cartoons mocking the suffering and slaughter of other human beings is receiving the seal of approval from any Muslim who objected to the publishing of the offensive cartoons of the Prophet Muhammed.

Talk about hypocrisy and double standards.

Peace out.

JD

i watched a movie once, 'the name of the rose'. it starred sean connery as a monk investigator. one of the charactors in the movie, a monk also, considered ALL humour as blasfemy as it was insulting, mocking, or slandering someone or something. therefore he banned all humour.

was that monk right? perhaps all humour is insulting to someone.

is there anything in the koran that covers humour?

something doesnt make sense!

the danish paper (christian.. maybe non religion) printing muslim stuff.. okay!

now aussie paper (christian.. maybe non religion) printing jewish stuff.. why for?

^^^ printing muslim and jewish stuff in terms of mockery(just a little correction)

and who said the muslim stuff is ok.. atleast here, who said it is ok? right, there will be a lot of people who speak out against the anti-jewish cartoons, but there are also going to be some who do not speak out agaisnt them, and the fact of the matter is, they are both wrong

:D/Peace To All

We shouldn't be gloating over someone's suffering, it's completely wrong and immoral...

How would we or other's feel if someone published cartoon's about the Bosnian Muslim's being slaughtered or the Tutsi genocide, etc?

There is nothing entertaining about such things...

Has that Iranian paper and government addressed all the problems that Iran is facing, that the only thing left to deal with was the holocaust and cartoon's?

^^^ printing muslim and jewish stuff in terms of mockery(just a little correction)

and who said the muslim stuff is ok.. atleast here, who said it is ok? right, there will be a lot of people who speak out against the anti-jewish cartoons, but there are also going to be some who do not speak out agaisnt them, and the fact of the matter is, they are both wrong

:D,

I didnt mean okay as in its right but just saying..

heh, kinda off topic, but i should get used to using the :D and the :D .. i come from another non-muslim forum so i am not used to it

We shouldn't be gloating over someone's suffering, it's completely wrong and immoral...

How would we or other's feel if someone published cartoon's about the Bosnian Muslim's being slaughtered or the Tutsi genocide, etc?

There is nothing entertaining about such things...

Has that Iranian paper and government addressed all the problems that Iran is facing, that the only thing left to deal with was the holocaust and cartoon's?

i apreciate what you are saying thezman. however the iranian cartoons were to retaliate for the prophet cartoons. they were to show the hipocracy of the west.

you are right in saying it is immoral to print such stuff, as it was to mock the prophet.

however, is it right for muslims to turn the other cheek? considering all the crap we put up with? even if it is immoral?

war is immoral. but we engage in that. at least cartoons are passive!!

Edited by zukiful

i apreciate what you are saying thezman. however the iranian cartoons were to retaliate for the prophet cartoons. they were to show the hipocracy of the west.

you are right in saying it is immoral to print such stuff, as it was to mock the prophet.

however, is it right for muslims to turn the other cheek? considering all the crap we put up with? even if it is immoral?

you have a good point, but like many say, two wrongs dont make a right. Yes, many people are hypocrites(i dislike the saying of 'the west' b/c the west usually refers to the USA and this is in denmark) but doing something wrong to show it is no excuse.

Peace Zukiful

Perhaps I am misled to expect better from Muslims. This course of action in "retaliation" against the offensive Prophet cartoons will not derive any kind of positive result. It will not help non Muslims to understand Islam in a positive light and it will not help them to see Muslims as anything but the stereotypes we should be working together to dispell.

This, of course, would be a great step toward further alienating Muslim from non Muslim. If that is your goal, then you certainly need to be out there hawking holocaust cartoons to the masses.

In the end, I hope that wiser heads prevail and Muslims do not end up defining themselves by these holocaust cartoons.

Peace out

JD

Peace Zukiful

Perhaps I am misled to expect better from Muslims. This course of action in "retaliation" against the offensive Prophet cartoons will not derive any kind of positive result. It will not help non Muslims to understand Islam in a positive light and it will not help them to see Muslims as anything but the stereotypes we should be working together to dispell.

This, of course, would be a great step toward further alienating Muslim from non Muslim. If that is your goal, then you certainly need to be out there hawking holocaust cartoons to the masses.

In the end, I hope that wiser heads prevail and Muslims do not end up defining themselves by these holocaust cartoons.

Peace out

JD

very well said, and very true! you arent misled to expect better, however sometimes a few bad apples speak for a bigger group(whether it is true, or not, or whether it is intentional or not)

g'day joe.

muslims are defined by the western media. they concentrate not, on our good actions, but only the negative. the cartoon attack by denmark and other eu media was disguised as 'freedom of speech'. the predictable uproar by muslims is labeled as further proof of the evil of Islam and muslims.

there is nothing muslims can do to be seen in a positive light by western media. that is becaue it does not want to show muslims in good light. there is a war on. the west is waging war on Islam. never will a opposing media show the enemy in a favourable light. they must demonise us to keep the western public supporting the war.

its all very well to pontificate about morals etc by muslims, but we are fighting an immoral enemy, and they dont have any morals. wow, they killed 3000 of their own people on sept 11! how immoral is that. and the war crimes against the peoples of palestine, iraq, and afgahnistan is a list to long to type.

and we are arguing about showing some cartoons in reply to an insult to the prophet? give me a break!

so what is your justification of publshing these cartoons? especially when you just said that western media will view it in a bad way...

and what do you mean by "they killed 3000 of their own people on sept 11!" ?

so what is your justification of publshing these cartoons? especially when you just said that western media will view it in a bad way...

evil can only prosper when good men do nothing.

and what do you mean by "they killed 3000 of their own people on sept 11!" ?

i mean they (the orchestrators of the wars against Islam) killed 3ooo of their own people.

Salaam,

stereotype:

"all Muslims hate Jews. They would like to see them all killed"

Most Muslims are at pains to try and point out that it is only Zionism they dislike, not Jews per se.

How is this sentiment actioned?

by condoning a cartoon which has nothing to do with Zionism, but has a great deal to do with the killing of millions of Jews.

So, the stereotype is fulfilled which deletes the good work many other Muslims were doing towards building bridges and showing Islam as peaceful.

I cannot be the only one raising an eyebrow at this spectacular failure of logic!

May I suggest that if people started thinking and acting long term rather than simply looking to the short term the world might be a much more peaceful place?

Peace and Love,

DARLA

:D Well, I still don't think it's anti-Semitic, but I don't want to see them published, because you're right MO, we shouldn't condone the holocaust or killing innocent people.

But what is this cartoon really saying? What I got out of it was that the holocaust happened, which is horrible, but some Zionists are doing the same thing to the Palestinians that the Germans did to them.

Salaam,

stereotype:

"all Muslims hate Jews. They would like to see them all killed"

Most Muslims are at pains to try and point out that it is only Zionism they dislike, not Jews per se.

How is this sentiment actioned?

by condoning a cartoon which has nothing to do with Zionism, but has a great deal to do with the killing of millions of Jews.

So, the stereotype is fulfilled which deletes the good work many other Muslims were doing towards building bridges and showing Islam as peaceful.

I cannot be the only one raising an eyebrow at this spectacular failure of logic!

May I suggest that if people started thinking and acting long term rather than simply looking to the short term the world might be a much more peaceful place

?

firstly, zionism has EVERYTHING to do with the holocaust. the zionists are the ones whom exagerate it, promote it, and defend it.

muslims have NO chance of being seen in a good light by the western public. there is a war on . and muslims are the enemy. the zionist western media must keep the hatred and distrust of the muslims so the western public will support the war.

i dont think that publishing the cartoons is a great idea. BUT, we must fight back somehow. "evil can only prosper when good men do nothing".

if you think the logic is in turning the other cheek, you are reading the wrong scriptures.

the long term.... yeah right. the way things are going, with western invasions, media slander, poverty in muslim countries etc, the future? are you kidding darla?

the point is, its wrong, even though its not making fun of their religion, we are commanded in the quran not to make fun of other religions b/c they will make fun of Allah