Islamic Forum
borbus

Transport For London

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

Transport for London (TfL) have got graduate schemes, for those of you looking for work after uni. They have:

Business Analysts Scheme

Information Management Scheme

Software Engineering Scheme

Transport Planning Scheme

Contracts and Procurement Scheme

Mechanical Engineering Scheme

Safety, Quality and Environment Scheme

Service Delivery and Development Scheme

Civil Engineering Scheme

Electrical/Electronic Engineering Scheme

Project Management Scheme

Quantity Surveying Scheme

Finance Scheme

Entry requirement degree-wise is 2:2. Deadlines are Tuesday 28th February and Tuesday 16th May, I assume for two different start dates after the summer.

Pros/benefits for applying are:

~£22k salary

30 days annual leave (that's a lot) not inc. bank holidays

Free travel on tube, bus, DLR and some trains in London for you and a nominee. That saves a small fortune.

Good work/life balance - you can work a 9-5 so you have time to do other things in the evening, unlike many other city jobs.

TfL are big on diversity/equality, which is good for Muslim applicants - you might have seen quite a few employees on the ground level are Muslim, alh. (Though the above schemes are more office-based).

You work for the public rather than to line the pockets of stakeholders.

Check out the website: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_tfl.gov.uk/tfl/graduates/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_tfl.gov.uk/tfl/graduates/[/url]

Feel free to ask questions.

Wassalaam.

PropellerAds

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

Forgot to say: Even if you're not interested, please do tell others who might be.

Jazaakum Allahu khairaa.

Wassalaam.

asalaam alaikum,

sorry..a question..does anybody know of any Islamic graduate schemes or internships?

JK in advance

soul*sis

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

Don't know of any Islamic grad schemes as such, but you could always speculatively apply for some summer or full-time work iA to Muslim businesses. Muslim charities and Islamic Finance seem to be the major ones, but depends where your interests lie. Look through their websites and let them know you're a grad.

May be too late, but in November, HSBC were looking for someone:

VACANCY AT HSBC AMANAH (Croydon, Surrey)

Thinking of a career in Islamic finance? HSBC Amanah Finance

currently have a vacancy in the Croydon Branch. For more details

send your CV to hussamsultan[at]hsbc(contact admin if its a beneficial link) No previous experience is

required as full traning will be given.

Also, rumour has it that (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.1stethical(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/contact.asp"]1st Ethical[/url] were looking for a clerk of some sort.

You could also trawl through the jobs section in the Yahoo! (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_groups.yahoo(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/group/islamic_events/?yguid=109514348"]islamic_events[/url] list.

Failing that, you could apply for grad work in the public sector, as my impression is that they tend to be more inclusive, if that's what you're concerned about. If not Transport for London, then NHS, Civil Service (have a grad entry route called (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.faststream.gov.uk/"]Fast Stream[/url]), or specific governmental places like (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.defra.gov.uk/"]DEFRA[/url] might be possibilities. I mention DEFRA because I read a brother (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_salaam.co.uk/forum/read.php?f=4&i=8043&t=8014&v=f"]here[/url] say "I know around 12 brothers who work there ALL of whom wear full jubbah, turbans and beards", so I imagine they must be fine with hijaabis.

Wassalaam.