Islamic Forum
edge

New Abu Ghraib Images Broadcast

New Abu Ghraib images broadcast

Abuse footage

An Australian TV channel has broadcast previously unpublished images showing apparent US abuse of prisoners in Iraq's Abu Ghraib jail in 2003.

The images on SBS TV are thought to be from the same source as those that caused an outcry around the world and led to several US troops being jailed.

The new images show "homicide, torture and sexual humiliation", SBS said.

They are part of a court case in the US. A judge has ruled they can be published but the case is continuing.

The broadcast of the images comes at a time of increased tension between Muslim nations and the West over cartoons satirising the Prophet Muhammad.

'Live rounds'

One of the videos broadcast on the SBS programme Dateline on Wednesday appears to show prisoners being forced to masturbate to the camera.

Other video footage appears to show a prisoner hitting his head against a wall.

The channel said he was a mentally disturbed patient who became a plaything of guards who practised ways of restraining him.

Some photos are said to show corpses. There are also images of prisoners with body and head wounds.

Some of the pictures have been posted on the SBS website.

SBS journalist Olivia Rousset told the BBC one of them showed a senior Iraqi officer being treated for a throat wound received after he resisted being transferred within the camp.

Some of the new photos showed soldiers who have already been convicted for their part in the abuse, including Private Lynndie England and Charles Graner, the man prosecutors said was the ringleader in the scandal.

PropellerAds

A number are versions of the photographs that caused outrage when they were initially leaked in April 2004, including the prisoner wearing a hood and hooked to wires.

The network also said it had received reports that some prisoners were killed when US soldiers ran out of rubber bullets during a prison riot and started using live rounds instead.

Convicted

The BBC's Adam Brookes in Washington says there has been no official response there yet, but he believes it likely the administration will say the events were already known and those involved charged.

However, he says there will be keen scrutiny to see if there are other soldiers involved, particularly officers, or whether the images confirm the official US line that this was a few soldiers behaving badly.

Analysts say the reaction in the Muslim world may depend on how widely the images are shown.

The BBC's Jon Brain in Baghdad says the satellite channel, al-Arabiya, is broadcasting half a dozen of the new images, though it has refrained from showing the most shocking.

The images are part of a group of more than 100 photographs and four videos taken at Abu Ghraib and later handed to the US army's Criminal Investigations Division.

In September a New York judge ruled that pictures of the alleged abuse should be released under Freedom of Information provisions.

He was responding to a request from the American Civil Liberties Union for access to 87 unseen images.

The judge rejected the government's arguments that publication could fuel anti-US feelings. The Dateline programme says the government is appealing against the decision.

US President George W Bush has said the Abu Ghraib abuse was a "disgrace".

Nine junior soldiers have been convicted - some are serving jail sentences. All senior US commanders have so far been cleared of any crime.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/middle_east/4715540.stm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...ast/4715540.stm[/url]

:D

If embassies are burned down because of cartoons, then should the US expect worse to happen to them?

Edited by edge

:D dear muslims

Disgusting pervs,

I cant believe rumsfeld has not been fired.

If this is the liberation of US power, im glad i live in UK

:D This is disgusting. :D Don't these people know they will be punished severely in the afterlife for this?

If a Muslim army did this, there would be absolute outrage in the US.

i wonder who is cleaner a soldier involved in this disgusting behaviour or a pig in its natural state?

that was an easy question! the soldier

i wonder who is cleaner a soldier involved in this disgusting behaviour or a pig in its natural state?

that was an easy question! the soldier

Did you mean to say the pig? :D

A pig is a creation of Allah, atleast give them some respect, dont compare them to things which are worse than animals.

This is just sooo sick! If we see these things, image what things we dont see that they have done.

What hate do these people carry in their hearts?

How can one human do that to another?

These aren't people at all they deserve the worst punishments and i'm sure they will get it, they will be the ones begging on that day and we shall laugh at them no one can help u now.

May Allah take the pain out of what our brothers and sisters feel at that time and place another in there place and may he SWT protect all muslims from such things......Ameeeeeeen

:D This is disgusting. :D Don't these people know they will be punished severely in the afterlife for this?

Well a muslim did kill 3,000 people in one day... destroying the symbol of western power...

Yeah, I read some of the punishments that these people got. Its something like a fine.

They should at least rule based on law as if these people were under US jurisdiction... I think it should be worse becuase they are in the military.

A pig is a creation of Allah, atleast give them some respect, dont compare them to things which are worse than animals.

you're right brother. man without Allah's guidance is on a sad path :D

Conicidentally, I popped in to ask, what do members think should be the punishment for this abuse, under Sharia law? Maybe it's just me, but I never seem to see calls for the guards at Abu Ghraib to be beheaded, only cartoonists and the like. Maybe it's just taken as read that the US Army as a whole will be punished through the continuing insurgency?

:D Peace

Conicidentally, I popped in to ask, what do members think should be the punishment for this abuse, under Sharia law? Maybe it's just me, but I never seem to see calls for the guards at Abu Ghraib to be beheaded, only cartoonists and the like. Maybe it's just taken as read that the US Army as a whole will be punished through the continuing insurgency?

I think they should be striped naked and put in the main city's where these people's families live and let them do to them whatever they like.

Oh no no.. you cant be like that.. Its "Freedom of Speech" and whatever they wish to do! {pardon me that was out of sarcasm}

Yes, if I were to make the decision..the decision would be to behead each and everyone of them.. but Alas I am also bound by sharia.. I will have to see what sharia says..

æóÇãúÊóÇÒõæÇ Çáúíóæúãó ÃóíøõåóÇ ÇáúãõÌúÑöãõæäó

"And O ye in sin! Get ye apart this Day!

They can get away in this world but what abt here after?

We better get them in this world, becuase I don't believe there is another one.

We better get them in this world, becuase I don't believe there is another one.

I wish but there is a big helping hand behind them. :D

yep, this abuse is unacceptable. but beheading people in a knee jerk reaction would also be unacceptable in my opinion. they should face the correct extent of the law.

just wanting to behead people (why behead?) when somthing makes you angry is the reaction of a child who is not educated or wise.

because it ends up being mob justice, just like the klu klux klan and withchunts. the most important thing is not to let emotion control our response.

sorry that should be witch hunts. my point is basing justice on emotion is not justice.

people used to get stoned to death in a flurry of moral outrage when people said 'jehovah'. was that right?

:D I don't give fatwas, but I believe that the punishment for this is an equal punishment thereto from the victim. They have the choice of either inflicting the same punishment (but not more) or to forgive. If they killed a muslim, the heir has the right to either capital punishment, blood money, or to forgive.

Again, I'm not giving a fatwa, but I believe that's what it is. I would check an Islamic website first.

Well a muslim did kill 3,000 people in one day... destroying the symbol of western power...

Yeah, I read some of the punishments that these people got. Its something like a fine.

They should at least rule based on law as if these people were under US jurisdiction... I think it should be worse becuase they are in the military.

someones gotta do some reading, we will find out the truth about 9/11 in probably 100 years or so.... untill then, patience!

The people responsible for this should be punished as traitors.

interesting,

yep, this abuse is unacceptable. but beheading people in a knee jerk reaction would also be unacceptable in my opinion. they should face the correct extent of the law.

just wanting to behead people (why behead?) when somthing makes you angry is the reaction of a child who is not educated or wise.

because it ends up being mob justice, just like the klu klux klan and withchunts. the most important thing is not to let emotion control our response.

hmm, int6eresting agian... i agree with you bnp