Islamic Forum
zukiful

How Are Non Muslim Religions Treated In Your Country?

:D

in another thread muslims were accused of treating badly people of other religions living in muslim countries.

what are your experiences in your country?

PropellerAds

ÇáÓáÇã Úáíßã

A/A

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but where I am right now (Loughborough, Leicestershire), it's not so great, in the Islamic point of view. So okay, it's not like we can't go out wearing a hijab, or whatever, but there are some extremely racist people here.

My sister and I stopped going to school because of this (of course, we were faced with the whole law thing, but now we are doing home-ed). Some people used to call us 'tea-towel' heads, beause of the headscarves. They even used to pull our headscarves. And, you know, there was the whole 'pakis' thing and 'arabs' insults thing. And there was this incident, on our way back home from school, which included a group of girls following us home, while hitting us and pulling our headscarves. This was when my parents drew the line, and insisted we stop going to school. But before that, the school management never did anything. (Only assigned essays. I mean, how is that supposed to stop the bullying? All it did was make the people even more racist towards us). Neither did the police, when we told them about the whole group of girls following us home thing.

So let's just say I am glad I am not living here for the rest of my life.

-xXxXMuslima4LifeXxXx-Islam in Your Country (or something like that. Forgot :D )

Copy and paste :D

æÚáíßã ÇáÓáÇã

ÇáÓáÇã Úáíßã

Oh riiight. Non-Muslims. Lol. Sorry!

æÚáíßã ÇáÓáÇã

in another thread muslims were accused of treating badly people of other religions living in muslim countries.

Though i am not from kuwait ..i have been there quite a few times.There are quite a few chruches in kuwait but they are not on roadsides and are kind of hidden from the public view .

Overall there is no discrimination based on religion..but may be based on nationality

i'm from birmingham (England) and i don't encounter any problems in terms of treating other religions badly, neither do i find it from any other Muslim. I agree that nationality discrimination is an issue here...

wasalams

In Malaysia, they can freely practise their religions. Christmas, Good Friday, Chinese New Year, Diwali, Taipucam, Wesak, Tribal Harvest Day, etc are ALL public holidays (in addition to the Eids, of course). They are exempt from Shari'ah Law. They can have their own schools where the syllabus is taught in their mother-tongues. They can build their houses of worship.

The only restrictions are in relation to Muslims, for example, a Muslim cannot marry a non-Muslim without the non-Muslim embracing Islam. Also prosletyzing to Muslims is forbidden.

Not to forget, Islam is the biggest religion in Malaysia BUT 50%++ of the Muslims don't even practice what Islam teach them....

Brother, do not deprive us of your salutations,

Wallahu'alam on your statement, but if Muslims on the street (more importantly, in the Masajid) are any indication, Astaghfirullah. :D

Back the topic, does anyone else have observations they would like to share?

Every muslim country(in my experience) i have been to, all nonmuslim were buutered up and fussed over by the locals. Sometimes it was so sickening. They bend over backwards for them. I swear by Allah this was true.

:D here we're not treated bad. Just the odd comments now and then :D

Salaam,

My aunt had to go to Iran on a business trip. When she arrived at customs they searched her bag with the justification that they were looking for 'forbidden goods'. In her bag she had a small copy of the new testament in English which they confiscated. She was then held in a room for over 8 hours whilst accused of trying to spread false religion. It was not accepted that she took the bible in for personal use only. She was only released when someone from the company came and vouched for her. Needless to say she has never gone back.

I think there is tolerance in some places, but in others the situation is quite bad indeed.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

ps: out of curiosity: do the leaders of Muslims countries come and open the buildings of other religions? For example, in England, Prince Charles (who will be head of the Anglican church when the Queen dies) went to open Finsbury Park Masjid when it was first built

Peace from Our Lord.

I don't know the accusations in the other tread, but I feel some answers here are a little bit superficial. So I want to get some more precise answers.

Imagine two persons:

On beeing from another religion (Buddhist, Christian, or whatever is appropiate when You think of Your country) converting to Islam.

The other person is a Mulsim converting to another faith (Atheist, Buddhist, Christian, ...).

Are both persons treated equally? Do they have the same right to follow their insights and change their faiths? Or is there some discrimination? What about people (not the state) reacting to this?

What about blaspheming? There are countries that punish not just the blaspheming in the original sense (speak curses or insults against God), but also against Mohammad or the Qor'an (strange to me: is Mohammad godly???). Are there similar rules about blaspheming against the corresponding entities in other religions (say, Moses, the Pope, Buddha, the Blble, ...)? I've heard blasphemies against the Bible (e.g. calling it distorted) from several muslims ...

Do non-Muslims have the same political rights (voting, beeing voted or called to an office, editing newspapers, organmizing protest marches, ...) than muslims? Are they on the same social level (not confined to a detestable status)? Do they have the opportunity to run schools, or theological seminaries and monasteries, when they feel the need for this?

Do the same laws apply to Muslims and non-Muslims? I once heard, in the old Osman ("turkish") Empire every religion handled affairs by their own laws. Are there similar regulatons in Your Country, and can You tell any details (e.g., what about cases involving paticipants from several religions)? Or are all people equal to the law?

In this thread, I'm not interested in what the Islamic view on that matter is, but in the practice, which may be different.

Oh, it got a long list :D You don't have to answer all question, if You do't know the answer to one Question feel free to omit it.

I'd like to hear about this.

In this thread, I'm not interested in what the Islamic view on that matter is, but in the practice, which may be different.

Therein lies part of the problem. If I were to ask about American Constitution (BTW I am an American) and what would happen if someone, say, someone got tortured because he said something, I could get two responses. The American Constitution states that no one is subject to cruel and unusual punishment, however, the "practice" in America nowadays is that this is acceptable (death by electrocution, etc.) , which is against the American Constitution. So, if you want an opinion on what an Islamic government would do as opposed to the "practice" of some so-called Islamic governments, I can answer that for you. But the practice that these governments are doing is the antithesis of an Islamic government, just as what the American government is doing is the opposite of what the American constitution says.

Salaam,

I agree that practice and theory are two different things. We here many good things about theory, this thread seemed to be testing the extent to which it was practiced (which is something sometime less attention is paid to).

I have a strong feeling that Muslims in most Western countries have more rights than non-Muslims in most Muslim countries because the basis of the two societies is different. One society is based on secularism, the other on religion. This has good and bad points for both, but in a society based on one religion there is necessarily a 'lessening' of other religions to some degree.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

ps: shoudl have said this earlier: Zukiful, good topic to start-interesting. Thank you

Edited by darla_1753

Salaam,

My aunt had to go to Iran on a business trip. When she arrived at customs they searched her bag with the justification that they were looking for 'forbidden goods'. In her bag she had a small copy of the new testament in English which they confiscated. She was then held in a room for over 8 hours whilst accused of trying to spread false religion. It was not accepted that she took the bible in for personal use only. She was only released when someone from the company came and vouched for her. Needless to say she has never gone back.

I think there is tolerance in some places, but in others the situation is quite bad indeed.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

ps: out of curiosity: do the leaders of Muslims countries come and open the buildings of other religions? For example, in England, Prince Charles (who will be head of the Anglican church when the Queen dies) went to open Finsbury Park Masjid when it was first built

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt's experience. If this was really an Islamic government, she would not have been hassled. "La Ikraha fid Deen" There is no compulsion in religion. Her personal stuff is her personal stuff, and these security guards may be held accountable on the day of judgement for this.

Salaam,

I agree that practice and theory are two different things. We here many good things about theory, this thread seemed to be testing the extent to which it was practiced (which is something sometime less attention is paid to).

I have a strong feeling that Muslims in most Western countries have more rights than non-Muslims in most Muslim countries because the basis of the two societies is different. One society is based on secularism, the other on religion. This has good and bad points for both, but in a society based on one religion there is necessarily a 'lessening' of other religions to some degree.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

ps: shoudl have said this earlier: Zukiful, good topic to start-interesting. Thank you

Wrong, BOTH countries are based on secularism. If a Muslim country were truly religious, then non-Muslims would have equal rights under the law. There is not one true Islamic government in the world right now. A dhimmi (non-Muslim living in a muslim country) has equal rights under the Shariah law. In fact, in some cases, they have more rights that a Muslim. They are exempted from military service, and if during a war, a muslim soldier must protect the non-muslim first before protecting a muslim.

Wrong, BOTH countries are based on secularism. If a Muslim country were truly religious, then non-Muslims would have equal rights under the law. There is not one true Islamic government in the world right now. A dhimmi (non-Muslim living in a muslim country) has equal rights under the Shariah law. In fact, in some cases, they have more rights that a Muslim. They are exempted from military service, and if during a war, a muslim soldier must protect the non-muslim first before protecting a muslim.

Salaam,

I was not aware of that.

Maybe instead of saying religious base then, I should say some countries are run on religious justifications? Obviously when I talk of these countries I mean countries such as KSA, Iran, Afghanistan etc as they have defined themselves as being based on religious grounds.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

Salaam,

I was not aware of that.

Maybe instead of saying religious base then, I should say some countries are run on religious justifications? Obviously when I talk of these countries I mean countries such as KSA, Iran, Afghanistan etc as they have defined themselves as being based on religious grounds.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

There is no religious justification for some of the things they are doing. The basic framework is there, but they are missing the most important thing, which is mercy. I just read a hadith of the Prophet Muhammad :D where he talked about what an Amir should be like. "If Allah appoints any one of His slaves as a ruler over a people and he dies when he is still treacherous to his people, Allah shall forbid him from entering Paradise" Narrated Al-Bukhari and Muslim

For example, when the Taliban destroyed those Buddha statues, they were in fact going against Shariah law. The Prophet Muhammad :D forbade destroying the polytheists statues, because if we did that, the polytheists would hate Allah as we hate their statues.

Salaam,

Again, I think my words must have been confusing. I was specifically looking at countries which have self defined themselves as being governed by Islamic law.

It is an interesting point on the statues and makes perfect sense.

Alas, whilst God is perfect, we are flawed.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

Salaam,

Again, I think my words must have been confusing. I was specifically looking at countries which have self defined themselves as being governed by Islamic law.

It is an interesting point on the statues and makes perfect sense.

Alas, whilst God is perfect, we are flawed.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

I know what you're talking about. Saudi and Iran are the only governments that say they are governed by Sharia'h, but even though some of the laws are in place, there is an underbelly of racism, sectarianism and corruption. It really is a double-edged sword for the west because a true democratic process would result in an Islamic government. Not just an Islamic government, but one that could turn off the oil tap and destroy the U.S. economy. If I was the khalifah, I wouldn't do that per se, but I have a feeling that whoever was elected would try to take revenge at the Western world for it's military presence.

Not just an Islamic government, but one that could turn off the oil tap and destroy the U.S. economy.

I would hurt but by no means destroy the U.S. economy. Saudi is third in imports of oil to the U.S. behind Canada and Mexico, not even including the domestic input. Venezuela is fourth. Iran doesn't even make the top 15.

If the U.S. stopped buying Middle Eastern oil, though, many of their economies would surely collapse.

The American Constitution states that no one is subject to cruel and unusual punishment, however, the "practice" in America nowadays is that this is acceptable (death by electrocution, etc.) , which is against the American Constitution

Thats a theme in the European media. We know something about that, but the whole story is curtained and will only come to light in the future.

So, if you want an opinion on what an Islamic government would do as opposed to the "practice" of some so-called Islamic governments,

I'm rather interested in the practice. But if You like, feel free to answer the questions I put on my list. If You know Islam, it should imho be possible to answer every question. That might be interesting, especially if no-one comes to write something about the practice in his country.

my country is an anarchy so there is'nt Islamic law

so there arent many foriegners who have the nerve to come to go there.but it really depends on what region u come from in the north thay are alot more tolerent and they dont treat people badly but they do treat them like outsiders.

in the south where it is more multicultural the people there arent so nice.and in the central area the really dont care.

salaam

well i have been to two "Islamic" countries: Malaysia and Pakistan.

For Malaysia i can say for sure there is total religious freedom. i went there from november to january... lol... they had christmas songs blasting in the malls along with eed songs, and santa clauses on the bags. and everywhere you went you saw three signs "merry christmas" "Happy new Year" and "Selamat Hariraya" <-- kinda means Happy eed i guess.

Pakistan has churches as well as convents. My husband studied in a school called saint Mary!

i would agree with the buttered up statement for the above two countries.