Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
3dshocker

Origins Of Morality

:D

if there is no standard set of morals, it is personal preferance, and if you took it further and brought that into law; anyone could do anything as long as it was within that persons moral code, lawfully.

its called, law of the jungle.

so continuing to follow that logic, athiests are immoral animals.. just add human rights.....

PropellerAds

oi, don't be a hater

The laws that are made within an atheist society would be those that everyone agreed on. Think about it. Atheist society runs like this.

Every individual has their own set of beliefs arrived at through individual reasoning free from external influences (i.e. religion).

The beliefs we overlap on would be the ones we make into law like dont kill ppl, etc.

Guess what? this is also what seperation of state and church achieves.

It is the brushing off of external influences from rational thought that lead to laws establishing equality for gays, women, etc.

Is hard for you to comprehend the concept of individually self oriented individuals co-operating over a set rules of agreements? I'll put up some stuff on the origin of morals/ethics/rules later on this week to clarify.

P.S. zuki, is there anything in particular you have against me? Is all this over that wife comment I made? I thought we cleared that up?

P.S.S. dude....law of the jungle means exactly survival of the fittest-->not in the best interest of an individual--> does not coincide with atheist preferences of society. Individualists prefer mutual agreements and co-existence as it is in their best interest.

Edited by 3dshocker

Well one could argue that an atheist is morally superior to a religious person, because they do good deeds out of simple goodness, while religious people do them for reward.

Think about it; most religions espouse an after-death Paradise vs. Punishment idea. If you do good, you go to Paradise with your god, have a good time, live a good life, green grass, running water, good food, nice girls, etc. If you do bad, you are sent to a place of punishment and torment. Therefore, a religious person realizes that in order to get this reward/avoid this punishment, he must follow the letter of his lord and obey the "moral code" in his religion.

Atheists on the other hand, do not believe in a higher power or an afterlife reward/punishment scheme. They believe only in the world they have now, and what they can do with it. All good deeds that come from them are done because they want to do good deeds.

Should a Muslim help an old lady cross the road, he is doing it because a) An all-powerful being ordered him to. B) He wants to gain entry to paradise. C) He wants to avoid punishment.

Should an Atheist do it, it is a pure act of human decency. He is not ordered to do it, nor is he expecting something in return. He does it because it is right. Atheists believe that all they have is this life, therefore they must make this life as good as possible. That includes being kind to those in need and helping your community. We do not wait for a better place, we make our better place where we stand.

if there is no standard set of morals, it is personal preferance, and if you took it further and brought that into law; anyone could do anything as long as it was within that persons moral code, lawfully.

its called, law of the jungle.

so continuing to follow that logic, athiests are immoral animals.. just add human rights.....

law of the Jungle would mean the Rule of the Strongest Animal. To a religious person, the strongest being would naturally be their god. Therefore, in obeying the slightest whim of an omnipotent god, you are behaving the same as a Wolf or Wildebeest.

This is actually a spin off of the other atheism thread.

Is it just me or do all religious people actually believe that religion is the cause of morals?

*generalization intended as it does seem to apply to all*

lemme rephrase that,

How many people here (non-atheists) can explain why an atheist has morals without using a reference to religion? Or does that seem as an impossibility?

we are all human and there is a degree of humanity in all of us....

And can you honestly say there isn't one Muslim who hasn't ever "coveted his neighbours wife?"

i aint coveted a neighbours wife! i know this might be hard for you to digest but if you learn about the four stages of your nafs then you'll learn self control :D

3d. could you show us a compilation of athiest moral standards please?

well i can, they make them up as they go along, if it dont suit them, simply change them

happiness matters more then anything

survival matters second

hating ppl or holding grudges is a waste of time

dont kill except in self defense and defense of another

don't take advantage of another persons handicap -->cheating a salesman who sucks at math

integrity and honesty must never be abandoned

be openminded--> don't accept anything as absolute-->only that it works for now

credentials are the only thing valid to discriminate by

don't steal it if you don't need it to live

happiness matters more then anything....even at someone else's expence

survival matters second.....dont belive that for a second

hating ppl or holding grudges is a waste of time...... :D

dont kill except in self defense and defense of another....which is why a load of you are in Iraq right now

don't take advantage of another persons handicap -->cheating a salesman who sucks at math....that is how you've become succesful in the first place

don't steal it if you don't need it to live....explains everything

Should an Atheist do it, it is a pure act of human decency.

are you implying muslims have no human decency?

Edited by shaidmahmood

The west is subject to free information, freedom to choose, and opposing views. Is this really worse than being subject to a small cadre of all-powerful Ayatollahs? And murder is more rife in Islamic countries than western, so how are moral standards upheld? Oh right, the victims are women...

The west is subject to propaganda information that is biased and misleading (recent events can clarify that), the west does have freedom to choose and oppose views to a limited extent, you cant speak out against the government in public without being branded a terrorist or extremist.

Murder is more rife in so called Islamic countries but remember who messed them countries up and let immoral acts take place!

Muslim women are victimised are they? well sunshine just because your women have finally tasted a BIT of freedom after so many years you think your superior? carry on i hope it makes you feel good.... :D

are you implying muslims have no human decency

Nope, I'm saying that when an atheist does a good deed it is motivated ONLY by human decency, yet when a reigious person (not just muslims) do a good deed, it is mostly motivated by the desire to receive a reward or escape a punishment.

you cant speak out against the government in public without being branded a terrorist or extremist

We can and do. Look at David Emerson in canada, he was elected as a Liberal, then jumped to Conervative. His constituents are openly calling him a criminal, and the gov can do nothing about it. I have seen numerous movies that have called for the impeachment of Bush, made by Americans in America. These people are not labelled as terrorists.

Murder is more rife in so called Islamic countries but remember who messed them countries up and let immoral acts take place

Sure. Everything is the Wests fault! Who can we blame for our problems then, hmmm no one. looks like we'll have to be adults and accept some responsibility then.

Muslim women are victimised are they?

Yes, much more than Western women in fact.

well sunshine just because your women have finally tasted a BIT of freedom after so many years you think your superior

Again yes. I believe realizing one's mistakes, and then fixing them, makes one a better person/country/institution than another that persists in pursuing a medieval mindset. And the freedom is much more than a bit. How many Islamic countries can boast a Margaret Thatcher or Madeleine Albright?