Islamic Forum
Truprint

Islam In Iraq

Salam,

I'm surprised this country hasn't really been explored yet (I didn't scroll down past Jamaica so I don't know if someone HAS started it but with a dreadful spelling error). Anyway, I've been to Iraq a fair few times and understandably there were problems. My parents and their generation told me that praying in school was forbidden under Saddam's rule in the 70's and 80's. Also, even though the country was importing plenty of high tech computers (for those who could afford them), Islamic DVDs were not allowed to enter the country under Saddam's rule in the 90's and 00's. (thats 2000s, but I dont really know how to shorten it). The same went for new theological ideas presented in book form. They had the old stuff which wasn't getting through to many because of the sheer number of volumes that noone can be bothered to read.

Now, yes, the situation is improving. However, the new kids are starting to lose their initially weak grip on religion what with the new influx of materialistic products (mainly Internet, TV and fashion). Most of the kids brought up in the UK (where I live) seem to have a better understanding of religion than in Iraq, even now when borders on Islamic books have been lifted. You would assume that with all the potential drawbacks of a child living in the West (what the child is exposed to in school, on the streets and on the TV), the Islamic country of Iraq would have a stronger affect on their new generation then in Britain. So, where is this country heading in terms of religion (forget sect for a minute) - Pro Evo 5 or Al-Quran Al-Karim?

TP

PropellerAds