Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thezman

~ Hamas's Rise Poses No Threat: Says Christians ~

:D/Peace To All

Hamas's Rise Poses No Threat; Palestinian Christians

Courtesy of: IslamOnline

Thu, Mar. 2, 2006

Gaza City-Palestinian Christians in the Gaza Strip poured cold water on claims and reports making the rife in Western media that the stunning rise of Hamas to power would undermine their religious rights.

"I am not afraid of Hamas, even of the Islamic religion,"

Anton Shuhaiber, a Church Council member and member of the board of the local Young Men's Christian Association, told Agence France-Presse (AFP) on Thursday, March 2.

The Palestinian Resistance group has swept the legislative elections, winning 74 of the 132-seat legislature, entitling it to form the new government. Since then, feelings of concern and unease have been high among some Christians that the new Hamas-led government would seek to impose Shari'ah on both Muslims and Christians.

Some were also concerned that the government would force Palestinian women to wear Hijab and impose harsh punishments for common crimes. But the majority of Christians in Gaza, a Hamas stronghold, said these concerns were groundless.

"For Christians who read the Qur'an carefully and with an open mind there is no fear,"

asserted Shuhaiber, a 68-year-old doctor who studied in England.

He counted as friends Hamas leaders Sheikh Ahmed Yassin and Abdul Aziz Rantissi, both assassinated by israel, and points to a spot on his sofa where they used to sit.

Covenant Of Omar:

Father Artemios Dimitriades agreed. "We are not afraid of anything, because the Muslims and the Christians here from the time of Islam came, are living in peace and love," said Artemios.

He cited as a case in point a recent mass demonstration against Danish cartoons mocking Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be Upon Him).

Father Dimitriades went down from the Greek Orthodox Church of Saint Perfilios to meet hundreds of Palestinian demonstrators, scores of whom were Christians.

The cartoons, one of them showing the Prophet with a bomb-shaped turban, were first published in Denmark last year, and have been reprinted by newspapers, triggering massive protests across the Muslim World.

The Christian cleric was not afraid that the Church would be stoned or set on fire during the march because Palestinian Christians were as much offended as their Muslim compatriots.

During the march, one of the Muslim protestors carried a framed copy of Al-Uhdah Al-Omariyah (Covenant Of Omar) signed in 683 by Caliph Omar bin Al-Khattab.

In the historical document, Omar promised Sophronios, the Patriarch of Al-Quds (Jerusalem) to protect the lives, property and Churches of Christians.

The Covenant also guaranteed that the Christians would "not be coerced in their religion."

Both Christians and Muslims see the document as having the force of law, even after more than 13 centuries.

Continued >>>

PropellerAds

Last

Today, the Palestinian basic law, or Constitution, reflects that. It stipulates that

"freedom of belief and performance of religious rituals are guaranteed (unless) they violate public order or public morals."

Unity:

Christian MP Hosam Al-Taweel, 42, also rebuffed claims that Hamas would seek to impose Shari'ah once the government takes shape.

"Hamas knows that Palestinian society contains many different shapes, ideas and political colors, and knows also that if it were to try to force the whole society to act against their beliefs and against their will, it will lose in the long run," he said

Taweel was elected as one of the six Christians guaranteed seats in the 132-seat Palestinian Legislative Council.

Enjoying the backing of Hamas and other nationalist groups, he scored the highest among the six.

"As Christians, we are sharing the same problems, the same suffering from the (israeli) occupation, the high rate of unemployment, the bad economic situation," Taweel maintained.

"We are living in a united society; there is no kind of division, or any kind of discrimination by Muslims."

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/English/News/2006-03/02/article03.shtml"]IslamOnline[/url]

:D

salaam brother thezman.

that is a truley touching article. one that gives hope. we forget how long jews, christians and muslims lived in peace in the holy land.

greed has condemmed palestine (israel) to suffering and hatered.

it fills my heart with emotion to hear people in extreme situations such as they are in, speak so compasionately about eachothers beliefs and rights.

a good news story. may there be more.

some christians support hamas, some don't. by the way, christians in PALESTINE are forgotten lot. not sure whether the link is authentic :D

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.amconmag(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2004_05_24/article.html"]Forgotten Christians[/url]

At the time of the creation of the israeli state in 1948, it is estimated that the Christians of Palestine numbered some 350,000. Almost 20 percent of the total population at the time, they constituted a vibrant and ancient community; their forbears had listened to St. Peter in Jerusalem as he preached at the first Pentecost. Yet Zionist doctrine held that Palestine was “a land without a people for a people without a land.†Of the 750,000 Palestinians that were forced from their homes in 1948, some 50,000 were Christians—7 percent of the total number of refugees and 35 percent of the total number of Christians living in Palestine at the time.

In the process of “Judaizing†Palestine, numerous convents, hospices, seminaries, and churches were either destroyed or cleared of their Christian owners and custodians. In one of the most spectacular attacks on a Christian target, on May 17, 1948, the Armenian Orthodox Patriarchate was shelled with about 100 mortar rounds—launched by Zionist forces from the already occupied monastery of the Benedictine Fathers on Mount Zion. The bombardment also damaged St. Jacob’s Convent, the Archangel’s Convent, and their appended churches, their two elementary and seminary schools, as well as their libraries, killing eight people and wounding 120.

Today it is believed that the number of Christians in israel and occupied Palestine number some 175,000, just over 2 percent of the entire population, but the numbers are rapidly dwindling due to mass emigration. Of those who have remained in the region, most live in Lebanon, where they share in the same bottomless misery as all other refugees, confined to camps where schools are under-funded and overcrowded, where housing is ramshackle, and sanitary conditions are appalling. Most, however, have fled the region altogether. No reliable figures are available, but it is estimated that between 100,000 and 300,000 Palestinian Christians currently live in the U.S.

What a shame tom. It looks like no one escaped from the zionist wrath :D

No threat?? This from the ADL

Anti-Semitism at Core of Hamas Charter

New York, NY, February 27, 2006 …

Adopted in August 1988, the Hamas Charter openly embraces the notorious anti-Semitic forgery, "The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion," holding it up as evidence that Jews are innately greedy, manipulative and conniving, according to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL). The charter adopts classical anti-Semitic canards: Jews as plotting to control the world, Jews acquiring wealth by stealing, and Jews controlling the levers of power in media, government and finance. Such stereotypical anti-Semitic canards have been used through the centuries to defame and demonize Jews, leading to violence, pogroms and, ultimately, the Holocaust.

Aside from its embrace of virulently anti-Semitic myths, the Hamas Charter is replete with conspiracy theories about Jews through history. The Charter blames "world Zionism" for the French and Communist Revolutions, World War I, and the establishment of the United Nations, which it claims was created by Jews "in order to rule the world by their intermediary."

Selected Excerpts: The Hamas Charter

•"The time will not come until Muslims will fight the Jews; until the Jews hide behind rocks and trees, which will cry: O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, come on and kill him…"

•(Jews) control of the world media (and use their) wealth to stir revolutions … They stood behind the French and the Communist Revolutions."

•"There was no war that broke out anywhere without their (Jews') fingerprints on it."

The anti-Semitism of Hamas is not limited to their charter. It is brought to life in recent statements by Hamas leaders, including those officials taking high-level positions in the Palestinian government. These statements show that Hamas' leaders have no intention of backing down from the anti-israel and anti-Semitic posture of their founding charter, or renouncing the use of violence and terrorism against civilians.

"While Hamas has attempted to moderate their tone in appealing for aid from Western governments, their leaders have continued inciting the Arab Street," said Mr. Foxman. "Their hateful rhetoric against Jews and israel remains unchanged."

Hamas Leaders in Their Own Words

•"Hamas will not change a single word in its covenant" – Mahmoud Zahar, January 25, 2006.

•"Hamas will never recognize the legitimacy of the Zionist state that was founded on our land" – Khaled Mashaal, the Damascus-based Hamas leader, January 25, 2006.

•"The constants and the strategy of Hamas do not change according to circumstances. Hamas will stay faithful to jihad, to resistance, to guns, to Palestine and to Jerusalem." -- Ismail Haniyah, the incoming Palestinian Prime Minister and longtime Hamas leader, January 18, 2006.

Oh wait, the ADL is a zionist Muslim hating organization... sorry about that.

what type of threat do peadophiles pose to the world z man? question??

Well spock, since neither Hamas nor I are peadophiles,

It would be more appropriate for you to submit your query to the Catholic Church, it's priests are more experienced in that area :D

No threat?? This from the ADL

Anti-Semitism at Core of Hamas Charter

The article was about Hamas not being a threat to Palestinian Christians

It's good the see the Palestinian christians have a voice.

Great artical Brother zman.

It's good the see the Palestinian christians have a voice.

Great artical Brother zman.

I agree and thank you Tamarbutah :D

the whole debate is utterly ridiculous - even sharon, not a man particularly noted for his loving feelings towards palestinians, could see that progress towards peace was impossible without Hamas on board - and he also knew that Hamas could not come on board whilst israel was still occupying gaza.

it is impossible for development to have come through the openly corrupt organisation of fatah, as indeed the israelis knew (and often used as argument for why they werent supporting palestinian development) - yet now the only other electable mass movement has actually come to powr, its election is also seen as preventing palestinian development!!

it is quite clear to those with eyes to see and ears to hear that sharon risked his considerable charisma and power in the settler community to pull back from gaza and let Hamas enter the political arena, yet the 'caretaker' govt have almost thrown that amazing achievement away, to force Hamas into the hands of the iranians is a move of such incredible folly that one might expect it of people who could vote for george bush, but where is that vaunted jewsish high intelligence now? It is watching as the palestinians hope for peace, democracy and development is once again brushed aside, in an area where israel will very shortly face a nuclear armed opponent just looking for a chance to use it - the only real long term survival strategy for israel is to develop together in peaceful coexistece with the palestinian people, as once again it seemed sharon saw, unlike the far more myopic, stupid and racist 'caretakers' now in charge.

Hamas is entirely essential to any secure and workable peace process, there simply *cannot be* a peace process without them.

At the time of the creation of the israeli state in 1948, it is estimated that the Christians of Palestine numbered some 350,000. Almost 20 percent of the total population at the time, they constituted a vibrant and ancient community; their forbears had listened to St. Peter in Jerusalem as he preached at the first Pentecost. Yet Zionist doctrine held that Palestine was “a land without a people for a people without a land.” Of the 750,000 Palestinians that were forced from their homes in 1948, some 50,000 were Christians—7 percent of the total number of refugees and 35 percent of the total number of Christians living in Palestine at the time.

far be it for me to question such an authentic report, but i was wondering in which school of mathematics 35% of 350 000 = 50 000? :D

if this can be cleared up that would be good, as this is quite an interesting observation. :D

Oh wait, the ADL is a zionist Muslim hating organization... sorry about that.

The ADL believes 'banker' and 'money lender' are anti-semitic terms!

:D for sharing this beneficial article with us.

As someone said above: its really touching.

:D for sharing this beneficial article with us.

As someone said above: its really touching.

Wa Iyyakum Insha Allah, I'm glad you liked it :D

the whole debate is utterly ridiculous - even sharon, not a man particularly noted for his loving feelings towards palestinians,

When I read this part, I disregarded your entire argument. Lets see what Sharon says about the Palestinians:

"It is the duty of israeli leaders to explain to public opinion, clearly and courageously, a certain number of facts that are forgotten with time. The first of these is that there is no Zionism, colonialization, or Jewish State without the eviction of the Arabs and the expropriation of their lands."

-- Ariel Sharon, israeli Foreign Minister, addressing a meeting of militants from the extreme right-wing Tsomet Party, Agence France Presse, November 15, 1998.

"Everybody has to move, run and grab as many (Palestinian) hilltops as they can to enlarge the (Jewish) settlements because everything we take now will stay ours...Everything we don't grab will go to them."

-- Ariel Sharon, israeli Foreign Minister, addressing a meeting of the Tsomet Party, Agence France Presse, Nov. 15, 1998.

I just see the love emanating from this man's heart. Awwww....

Is this article alleging that Hamas won't put in Shari'ah law though? It would be a shame though, if they didn't. Whats the good of an Islamic party winning if theres no Shari'ah right? In due time :D.

the whole debate is utterly ridiculous - even sharon, not a man particularly noted for his loving feelings towards palestinians,

I'm just going to say that I hope you are not talking about Ariel Sharon, because for you to say that he is loving is, well, very ignorant of you. have you heard about the Sabra and Shateela Massacre?

Or are you too conecerned with the Holocaust? I mean muslim terrorists must have had a hand in that, I heard that Hitler was influenced by Islamic teachings.....and for those who will take this seriously, I am being sarcastic

Salamu Alaikum

Edited by alim_in_training

Is this article alleging that Hamas won't put in Shari'ah law though? It would be a shame though, if they didn't. Whats the good of an Islamic party winning if theres no Shari'ah right? In due time :D.

I don't think the article is alleging that.

If Shari'ah is introduced, it may exempt non-Muslims (Just my opinion),

I really haven't read anything detailing what Islamic Laws will be implemented and whom will it be applied to...

If Shari'ah is introduced, it may exempt non-Muslims (Just my opinion),

i believe you're right. non muslims gonna be exempted like it is in other muslim majority countries. shariah includes the amputation of limbs for certain wrongdoings. right? i read about this case of amputation only in saudi arabia :D

alim & jibrael - i'm sorry - did you actually read the rest of what i posted, in fact did you even read AT ALL what i posted?

lets look again:

even sharon, not a man particularly noted for his loving feelings towards palestinians,

do you get it now?

peace and love.

i believe you're right. non muslims gonna be exempted like it is in other muslim majority countries. shariah includes the amputation of limbs for certain wrongdoings. right? i read about this case of amputation only in saudi arabia :D

Yes, like for theft, you'd have the culprits hand severed.

id sooner a member of hamas with grenades in my church, than an israeli with crackers!

what should be the punishment for those israeli terrorists?

:D they will!