Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NoNameAtAll

Quran Question...

Asalaam Alaykum,

I am a new muslim (reverted about 2 wks ago) but not totally new (struggled with Islam for over a year before grasping the complete truth and giving in to it).

I have a question - I was reading the Quran this morning and I am up to Surah 21 where we see stories of many of the prophets of old (pbut). The question occured to me - where do we find the entire stories of the prophets lives? Are they in the Quran and I have not gotten to them yet or is it okay to read the OT of the Bible to learn these stories? It seems that the commentators know these stories but I dont know where they learned the Quranic version of the stories (which admittedly are usually the same as the Bible versions of same).

I KNOW the stories because I know the Bible very well (I was a Christian for 41 yrs and an an avid bible student).

I just want to be clear on where I am to go for authority on the lives of the prophets (pbut).

Subhanullah

PropellerAds

:D

May Allah reward you for converting bro. DFirst, there are about 25 Surahs of the Prophets (PBUT). If you have an English translation of the Quran, you may find an index that tells you hwere this surahs are. BUt however there are some sites that state the stories of the pRophets of Allah. And they are all wonderful. Here's one:

(www.)"http://angelfire/on/ummiby1/"]Stories of Prophets ![/url]

(www.)"http://netmuslims/info/about_prophets.html"]A breif intro on the Prophets of Allah[/url]

(www.)"http://netmuslims/info/prophets.html"]A collection of the Sotries of the Prophets ( PBUT)[/url]

Walaikum Assalam, brother!

First of all, let me congratulate you on the most important decision in your life. Insha Allah, you will be rewarded abundantly. May Allah :D always keep you on sirat al-mustaqeem and increase your level of eeman. Ameen.

Then let me welcome you to the Forum. May you stay here be fruitfull.

The stories of the prophets have been compiled in book form. I suggest you do a search and find the name of the author, or visit an Islamic bookstore.

Do not read the stories in the bible. They are different and some are very degrading on the lives of some prophets. For example the story of daughters of Loot (alaihe salam).

Wassalam

:D warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

Welcome to Islam brother

The Qur'an doesn't speak about the prophets (pbut) in one chapter so you'll find that even though a Chapter may be called Surah Al-Yusuf or Ibrahim (pbut) that not all of the chapter is based on their life. Verses about each prophet (pbut) are scattered in varies chapters. To get the complete story of each prophet's life i have found a good site that may be of some benefit to you.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamawareness(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Prophets/"]The prophets of Islam[/url]

I hope i was of some help.

Assalamo Alaikum!

As an after-thought last night, I decided to advise you on something.

What is more important for any Muslim is to know how to perform the deen. What are the various requirements supported by Qur'an and Hadith. Stories of the Prophets are interesting read for knowledge, but secondary to the requirements. I suggest you visit (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/[/url] and read topic by topic. You may refer to any topic that intersts you right now, but try readin the whole thing serially. Once you finish reading a topic you will find that you can perform your obligatory and non-obligatory acts better, and in accordance with requirements.

I know there is a site where you can even download the books, but cannot find it now. I have hard copies at home, and refer to them whenever any situation comes up.

Wassalam

Assalamo Alaikum!

As an after-thought last night, I decided to advise you on something.

What is more important for any Muslim is to know how to perform the deen. What are the various requirements supported by Qur'an and Hadith. Stories of the Prophets are interesting read for knowledge, but secondary to the requirements. I suggest you visit (www.)"http://usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/"]usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/[/url] and read topic by topic. You may refer to any topic that intersts you right now, but try readin the whole thing serially. Once you finish reading a topic you will find that you can perform your obligatory and non-obligatory acts better, and in accordance with requirements.Wassalam

Good advice, that is one reason I struggled so long before embracing Islam - I felt I had to know everything beforehand, lol.

Salaam