Islamic Forum
Kaneeza

How To Teach Islam In Non-arab/muslim Countries At School

:D

How do we go about presenting Islam as it is from QUr'aan & Sunnah in the most positive way possible, without distortions and negativity?

PropellerAds

ouch! that's a tough question! :D

Well it's a bit difficult to teach a lot of Islam to young Muslims in schools in the UK cause teachers spend a lot of time teaching the importance of Great Britain. I remember being in primary school like it was yesterday! They taught us about Romans and how heroic they were etc... now to come and think of it:

The Tabuk Campaign

The Muslim army reached Tabuk after a weary march. Contrary to expectations there was no Byzantine force at Tabuk to meet the Muslims. On coming to know of the advance of the Muslim army, the Byzantines withdrew their army well within Syria. The Muslims achieved their object without firing a shot. The strategy of the Muslims was purely defensive, aimed at keeping the Byzantines army away from the borders of Arabia. The Byzantines who had at one time threatened to invade Arabia were no longer in the mood to measure swords with the Muslims. This was a moral victory for the Muslims. The tribes in the border region who had heretofore offered allegiance to the Byzantines transferred their allegiance to the Muslims.

It's better to send your children to Islamic schools in non-muslim countries, this way, they'lll be taught about the Quran and Sunnah :D

Otherwise, it's best if you teach children about Quran and Sunnah at home.. Education starts from home :D

Salaam,

If your post is talking about teaching Islam to non-Muslims (like in RE lessons at school) then this would be my view on it:

maybe this sounds silly but I'd advise linking it to what people already know. If you are in a country where Christianity is the dominant religion then Christianity is probably broadly seen as 'good'. By showing there are similarities between the two, Islam then falls into the 'good' catagory rather than the 'bad-terrorist' catagory. Once some similarites have been established, then the differences can be discussed.

I remember in RE when we learned about Islam we were first taught about the five pillars because these are pretty easy to understand. Obviously prayer and charity are pretty self explanitary. When we discussed the more 'alien' ones such as Hajj then that led onto other discussions so we learned more.

One last thing I would suggest is not to use too many arabic words necessarily. Some are obvious and well known such as Allah or Quran but I know that when I read some of the posts here the arabic breaks the flow. I understand its necessary for accuracy, but I assume that you teach people from scratch.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

lol, at my school we were having Islam in R.E and the teacher said help him out if he said stuff wrong. so i was like right, and he was making bareeee mistakes (sorry baree) lol . anyway i corrected him for like the 20th time and he was like do you wanna lead the class then i was like yeh and he was like "n..n.n...no, that will not be appropriate for this class thank you." and i was like you just said i could lead the class! and he told me to get out lol!

its well funny when they teach Islam at school because most of the time they are making up bull!

how about a buddy system? a woman teams up with a muslimah and a man teams up with a muslim. They spend a few hours together each week, go to jummah, shop together at the grocery store, just see how a muslim lives their life.

As-salamu aleykum, brothers and sisters.

The main goal of this topic is to prepare a decision model that permit us to do teaching programmes of Islam for children at schools, in non arab/muslim countries.

The second target is to find the best way to show everybody that the Islamic way of life is not dangerous for them but something good and indeed desirable.

I suggest to follow this chart, as a starting point:

- Non Islamic school teaching arab/muslim pupils.

- Non Islamic school teaching non arab/muslim pupils.

- Islamic school teaching arab/muslim pupils.

- Islamic school teaching arab/muslim pupils.

Each branch of the chart needs different actions.

Do you agree or disagree with me?

As I write before this is only the starting point, so I will appreciate all your contributions to our project.

Ecofuturo, a Spaniard from Morocco.

Salaam,

yes, I'd say each of the catagories would need a different approach. I would, however, say sometimes that the classes could be combined. Maybe if there were discussions on 'what is prayer' there would be more interesting discussion and debate with non-Muslims and Muslims learning together.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

I'd suggest not teaching religion at all in school, and having the children learn about their religion from their parents and family. Either that or teach every religion equally, but I don't think that will happen.

Really, schools should stick to training children in basic and fundamental mental skills to prepare them for the world. Philosophy, religion and political ideas should only be taught in instances of "voluntary" education. ( universities, self-teaching, anything the student seeks out.)

Salaam,

I'd say understanding the basics of other people's believe systems is pretty fundamental. I know in the three years we had RE at school we spent a year on religion (general) and Christianity and then the next two years were spent looking at Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Sikhism and Buddhism.

If you haven't learned the basics then you're more inclined to belive anythin of a religion. Reconciling pilgrimage, prayer, charity and 'this religion teaches terrorism' is a little bit difficult. Learning the basics also tends to emphasize key similarities which means people have greater connections/empathy with one another.

Peace and Love,

DARLA